NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Who's the best then?

By John Brennan :  05/08/2009 :  Comments (17) :
Moyes, O'Neill, Hodgson.... Three managers who are all British, and, give or take a few bob, have roughly the same amount of money to spend.

It's still a little premature yet, given that there is still some time to go, but who would be prepared to take a punt on where these managers' three teams will finish at the end of the 2009-10 season? What are their relative strenghths and weaknesses?

Moyes: dogged, determined, defensive minded, and perhaps lacking in offensive and creative intuition. Solid, dependable, hard and focussed, but perhaps not with the flair and decisive attacking ability that would be required to win games (particularly away from home) and thus secure all 3 points where only 1 was taken.

Hodgson: a manager from the Bobby Robson school, but perhaps without Bobby's gung ho at times. Much respected, a thinker, and a planner. You get the impression he always does his homework, good at determining where the other team's weakness is, and exploiting it to the full. Also very good in pre- and post-match interviews. Quite happy to talk at length, doesnt hesitate to laud the other team, but very clever at keeping quiet about his own team's strengths (and weaknesses, obviously)!!!

Then there is Mr O'Neill. Ah, yes, have you noticed him on BBC when a guest on MotD when the World Cup comes around? The intellectual, the carefully phrased comment (which I have no doubt was prepared beforehand) and the "Listen, I am going to let you all into a secret here — I've been looking at this lad for some time and believe me he's dynamite."

Don't misunderstand me, I watched O'neill when he played for Forest when they came to Germany in the late 70s, and we all know how well they did. I just have this nagging feeling that he is on the right lines with his buy British policy (and Moyes too), but that he (O'Neill) has the offensive approach, Moyes the defensive resilience, and perhaps Hodgson the overall planning skills, a la Bernard Montgomery, to conquer Europe.

Placings for 2009-10? Everton 6th, Villa 7th, Fulham 8th. We all know who the top 5 will be — don't we????

Reader Comments

Andy Morden
1   Posted 06/08/2009 at 01:09:31

Well that was insightful. How did you come to those conclusions?
Andy Crooks
2   Posted 06/08/2009 at 01:32:07

John, "give a few bob or two"??
Simon Kirwan
3   Posted 06/08/2009 at 03:02:23

"Give or take a few bob, have roughly the same amount of money to spend. " lol - Haven't Villa already spent about £20m?

As for Fulham coming 8th, I'm afraid I have just banged 20 bones on them getting relegated... nice price for a side with Europa to deal with. :)
Ciarán McGlone
4   Posted 06/08/2009 at 08:29:52

Very good synopsis.

I don’t think we’ll get as high as 6th this year....we’ll struggle on the pitch, playing horrible football until Arteta returns..then possibly get some fluidity back and finish in the top ten.

Don’t think we’ll progress very far in any of our cup competitions..

Shaun Brennan
5   Posted 06/08/2009 at 09:20:55

John, I liked the summaries of the managers you provided. I agree with them.

I can see Villa pipping us this year to tell the truth. But we’ll be sandwiched between Villa and Fulham. I’ve got a feeling Spurs will finally produce some goods this season.
Chris Dawson
6   Posted 06/08/2009 at 10:16:39

Ciarán, we managed to haul ourselves up to 5th without Arteta. There is no doubt that he will improve us when we get him back playing, but why dont you think we can cope without him?
Ciarán McGlone
7   Posted 06/08/2009 at 10:46:24

Chris,

we were lucky in a lot of games at the end of the season...playing terrible football, being outplayed and still winning games...while Villa were not so lucky..their luck ran out at Goodison!

I hope I’m wrong though...Can’t see it though...more Neville/Cahill centre midfield combinations...a dreaded thought for me.
Tony Williams
8   Posted 06/08/2009 at 11:06:19

Ciaran, we have been doing that for 6/7 years now.

Playing terrible and getting points is what we do, we scrape 1-0 wins or occassionally, about a handful of games a season we play good football.

Villa have lost their rock at the back and their captain and replaced them with an injured winger and a kid fom a lower division.

To be honest though I will be suprised if we make top 6 again, our players are another year older and offer nothing new so the teams we played last year will be wise to our tactics and counteract them......until we get our spine back. Jags/Mikel.Yak
Ciarán McGlone
9   Posted 06/08/2009 at 11:26:01

Whenever we buy an unknown player - they’re invariably labelled as a ’hidden gem’..someone else does it and they’re ’a kid from the lower division’...

Tony Williams
10   Posted 06/08/2009 at 11:53:59

I have never once called a new young player on this site or any other a "hidden gem".

So are you saying that Delph is not a kid from a lower division then?
Ciarán McGlone
11   Posted 06/08/2009 at 12:38:54

You know exactly what I’m saying
Tony Williams
12   Posted 06/08/2009 at 13:21:34

I know exactly what you were doing.
Stephen Sullivan
13   Posted 06/08/2009 at 14:42:45

John, Placing for 2009-10? I think you're a bit optimistic.

Taking into account our injuries, the lack of new recruits, losing Lescott (so it seems) and competing again in the Eufa cup (with all its demands) I expect no better tha 8th. The bookies have us as eight favourites and they work on hard evidence.

Still, if we use the Lescott money plus the £6-8million we appear to have had available for Naughton for new players then we may do better? If we only spend the majority of the Lescott money (say £15million) and that includes £5mill on Senderos then its as low as 10-12th.

Here’s to some luck in the market and on the injury front.

Guy Hastings
14   Posted 06/08/2009 at 14:58:45

I’d have no probelm with Roy H at Goodison; wise old coot with great contacts and his teams always try to play on the ground stuff. But if MON ever gets the job here Tony Marsh’s anti-Moyes splutterings will pale in comparison to the rants that’ll be heading from my neck of the woods.
Paul Joy
15   Posted 06/08/2009 at 19:56:48

3 good managers for sure.

Personally I prefer David Moyes to the other 2. Hodgson is a very knowledgable and wise campaigner and I would opt for him over O’Neill any time. Just don’t like the guy - same as Phil Brown - its all about them - and they are not my kind of man thanks very much.

I just don’t buy the Man City are going to mount a serious challenge on the Sky 4 let alone the title (get the pun)

They will challenege eventually but not yet and certainly not with Mark Hughes. They will be in the shake up with us, villa, spurs(maybe) for the spots from 5 to 7.

Fulham I think will struggle to cope with 2 games per week and won’t be as good as last year.

I agree with Tony Williams about villa they could not compensate for losing Laursen - they were a mess defensively when he went.

We are still the best placed side to push the Sky 4 - pity we are skint.
Andy Crooks
16   Posted 06/08/2009 at 20:36:04

Martin O’neill started at the bottom and has done a fine job at every club he has been at.All three strike me as men of integrity.
Tony Williams
17   Posted 06/08/2009 at 20:57:05

"give or take a few bob"

I wish I could have a few bob in my arse pocket!