NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

I thought it was a religion...

By Rupert Sullivan :  11/08/2009 :  Comments (7) :
So where does one go from here then? You now have a player in your team who does not want to be there, he doesn’t want to play for your club anymore — it doesn’t really matter why he wants to go, he does; you just have to accept it.

This is the nature of the modern football business — this is the way the current system works. The result? Well perhaps you have a player in your team who is now going to become an increasingly bad influence. A disruption to the ethic and sense of unity that the club and manager have striven so hard to achieve.

The whole team know he wants to leave; they know he has a chance at better money and understand that as they might (forgetting for the moment that they all to a man, earn more money in a year than I am likely to in a lifetime) is he now going to suffer the cold shoulder in the morning? A quick end to the morning gossip over a coffee, fewer invites out for a drink after work. Isolation from the group, isolation from the team; those people who used to be your mates now just resent you, resent your chance, resent your desire to move for more money.

The effect on the club will be phenomenal, even forgetting the fact that Lescott is in a position to jeopardise the effort of the entire team (should he so desire) with a misplaced back-pass here, or a slip on the grass there, the fact is that I question whether or not he can be considered an ‘Everton’ team player anymore. Much as I admire the position David Moyes has taken on this matter, I have to think that EFC is better off without Lescott now that they would be keeping him.

I don’t know about you but I can leave my job whenever I like, I have a notice period to work but then I’m off. Ok the bills will still need to be paid, but that’s my choice. There has never been a situation where my boss has been able to tell me “Sorry son, you’re under contract: you can stay and like it, or stay and lump it!” I appreciate that the epithet ‘slavery’ seems somewhat out of place when referring to someone who earns several million pounds a year, but if you can’t leave your job what else is it?

So where does this leave us? Players are apparently ‘tied in’ to contracts for which clubs pay a horrendous amount of money, and they are by all accounts made to work them out. But as mentioned above, perhaps it isn’t in the best interests of a club to request such; which would lend weight to the suggestion that the contracts ultimately are worthless.

Sure, clubs are protected via rules which prevent clubs from nobbling other players with dreams of millions more, but as we have seen this summer, these rules can be circumnavigated by anyone who wants to do it. Use the press, the innuendo and rumour mongering.

Is football played on the field anymore or is it played in the boardrooms and the counting houses? I thought it was a religion… well not anymore.

Reader Comments

Colin Potter
1   Posted 11/08/2009 at 14:57:36

I agree Rupert, Moyes should get the gift of the gab going and get as much as he can for him, your’e right about the bad pass back and the odd slipping over. One thing though, I wouldn’t leave it to kenwright to negotiate the deal,we’ll end up with 200 fags and a throw away lighter.
Kevin Jones
2   Posted 11/08/2009 at 16:49:42

Hi Rupert you say you can leave your job whenever you want

Well consider this. Your boss comes to you tomorrow and offers you your job, as it stands, guaranteed for 5 years with a 10% wage rise every year . Would you sign it ?

I’d bite his hand off. Lescott has done a very cowardly thing by waiting for the England get together to submit his request. Unless he did it last week and Everton are playing silly buggers. Either way I’d make him wait till next Monday and put him on the bench Saturday with instructions to warm up right round the pitch every 10 minutes.
Dennis Stevens
3   Posted 11/08/2009 at 17:17:49

"Isolation from the group, isolation from the team", the "cold shoulder"? I suspect Lescott will probably find most, if not all the players being quite supportive & sympathetic - after all, this could be any one of them in a similar situation.
Andy Crooks
4   Posted 11/08/2009 at 17:29:19

I suspect that this has been handled in the typical Everton way.Could not David Moyes have gone to Lescott several weeks ago and asked him to publcly confirm he had no intention of leaving? Failure to do so should have seen him sold for £22 million leaving some time to invest in the team.
I feel,however that all is not as it seems.Lescott is getting a huge amount of abuse on this site at the moment,unjustified in my view.Had we received £22 million some weeks ago we would have been expecting some new faces.Now,well ,it’s not the fault of Kenwright or Moyes that they’ve been let down.How could they possibly have foreseen the treachery of this player?
Frankly,Lescott is overrated and £22 million is great business.I doubt,though,splashing it out in strengthening the squad is part of BK’ s plan.If he plays for Everton again I’d hate to see him get any stick because he’s being made the scapegoat for a summer of incredible ineptitude and duplicity.
Bob Turner
5   Posted 11/08/2009 at 21:47:11

Rupert, you say:

"I don’t know about you but I can leave my job whenever I like, I have a notice period to work but then I’m off."

Well, you clearly can’t leave whenever you want, you have to work your notice period before you do - which is exactly the same as Lescott, only his notice period is substantially longer than yours.

And the compensation to poor old Joleon for having to work the remaining 3 years of his notice period? A not inconsiderable £30k - £40k per week.... it’s a hard life, isn’t it?
Rupert Sullivan
6   Posted 12/08/2009 at 01:19:25

Well you say that Bob, but let’s fqce it, a notice period is not legally enforceable - so I wouldn’t actually have to work it at all> Mind you, were I on £40k a week, I reckon I would stick around for a bit...
Derek Thomas
7   Posted 12/08/2009 at 06:13:59

Yes X is wrong and yes Y is wrong and yes the contract system ’ may be wrong ’ and yes Moyes is wrong and Hughes is wrong and if I may made so bold, Kenwright is very wrong.

But all the wrongs on both sides ( 3? ) still don’t make the otherside right.

Bottom line.

IF YOU WANT LOYALTY, BUY A DOG!!