NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

August could be a great month

By Michael Ward :  13/08/2009 :  Comments (10) :
August, its a big month for Everton Football Club; its the last month we have to strengthen the squad before January (although the free transfer deadline is open a bit longer!); it's the month where we have our qualification game for the Europa league which the team worked so hard for last season; it's also the month to set a foundation stone for the rest of our season, let's start as we mean to go on.

So why am I writing this? Well, firstly because I am excited about Saturday and need to blurt something out. Next because I honestly think that we have a great chance to start this season well. Looking at the fixtures we have got a tough start in Arsenal, but I think that leaves us in a win win situation.

If we beat Arsenal we send out a message for our ambitions for the season, we show we are a team to be reckoned with.

If we get beat, well, we were expected to get beat, we will put it right in the next game. Win, Win. Better than the disaster first game of last season. Then lets look at the next two games.

Burnley away and Wigan at home, surely games we would be expecting to win, plus an easier Europa league draw than last year. August could be a great month for us in terms of starting in good form we can hopefully take into September.

Now in terms of transfers, Elm — who by all accounts seems to be a top player — must have to make up his mind soon, because once August is over it's too late for his decision, and from what I've read we seem to be leading the pack for his signature.

Senderos, we are just playing ball with Arsenal is my opinion, no-one else has shown an interest, he is in the last year of his contract and he wants to leave. If they don't sell him now they will be lucky to get half what they are asking now in January, plus we might have signed someone else by then!

Moyes's rabbit out of the hat! It's an annual occurence, we are going to get a top quality player we never suspected on the last day, maybe another one or two squad players to go with them.

Lescott, doesn't look to me like he is going; if he does we are getting value for money and I'm sure Moyes has already got a few possible replacements lined up just in case. It could give us money to strengthen in other areas (the right side!).

So August could be a great month, our fixtures could be a lot worse, and I'm sure we can battle through to September and look at our squad again then and hopefully look back at August as a success.

At least I hope so!

Reader Comments

Ciarán McGlone
1   Posted 13/08/2009 at 16:18:12

Dismissing other teams as ’points in the bag’ is quite disrespectful — a word which is being thrown around a lot this week... they’re not easy games by any stretch. Wigan are looking good and Burnley are an unknown quantity.

Conversely, by the end of August we could be tearing our hair out.

As for our signings... There is absolutely no indication that we’ve had a bid accepted for Elm. In fact the last official statement I heard from Kalmar about us involved us having NOT submitted a ’serious offer’.

I’m glad you’re able to be positive — just don’t expect everyone to react the same way.
Steve Edwards
2   Posted 13/08/2009 at 16:53:22

Yeh and August could be a shit month. I don’t know what you eternal optimists are on but I could do with a bucket of it. By the way, the easier draw this year in the Europa League may be not so easy. They beat Aberdeen 7-1 in the last round.

Reading the various posts, I can’t help noting that many Evertonians are expecting the same as last year in as much as rabbits out of the hat on the last day of the transfer window. Just because this happened last year and it wasn’t an ideal situation, it doesn’t mean it will this year. One or two may get their eye wiped and I sincerely hope thats not the case. I am beginning to get a bad feeling about this.. things being said by Moyes and also things not being said.
Alan Kirwin
3   Posted 13/08/2009 at 17:39:39

Michael, I approach every season with a sense of foreboding & trepidation. It helps keep disappointment to a minimum :)

Nowt wrong with some positive vibes, but Ciaran’s right to counsel caution. The first 8 - 10 games can be unpredictable & particularly with promoted teams. Burnley will be no pushover, they’re a good team with a good manager.

I shall expect nothing from Saturday onwards and hope that results exceed expectations. Last few years have been pretty good in that regard. But you’re right, the tingle is starting to build and when I hear that first drum riff of Z Cars I’m in, hook line & sinker.
John Brennan
4   Posted 13/08/2009 at 17:39:03

I agree with Ciaran that we should not in any instance regard other teams as in any way also rans or pushovers, but nevertheless Wigan must be feeling the pressure having lost the likes of Valencia and now Cattermole, and with an untried Premiership manager (albeit a seemingly good tactician who seems to want his teams to play in the right way). Burnley, too, should be within our sights as beatable, but I am glad to see them back in the top flight with Wolves because I remember both clubs enjoying better days when I were nobbut a lad in the early sixties!!

Going slightly off track, I would like to see us play something like Newcastle under Keegan in his first spell at St James Park when they knocked the ball around with pinball like precision and everyone enjoyed watching them. Given this scenario, I think I would like to see Elm come in, or a Latin midfielder who can control and pass the ball to operate alongside Arteta.Will we play with a little more panache than previously or if its true we are going for the likes of O'Neil, will the black crepe curtains be lowered and the under-tens be sent to bed when Everton are due on the box??

Ray Burn
5   Posted 13/08/2009 at 17:50:37

"If we get beat, well, we were expected to get beat, we will put it right in the next game. Win, Win."

Technically Lose. Win.

But I take your point.
John Martin
6   Posted 13/08/2009 at 18:14:44

Last season we were going to make a great start. 2 very winnable homes games and WBA in our 1st 3 fixtures and we ended up with 2 defeats at home. Out of Europe also soon followed. We have matched last summer's inactivity in the transfer market and once again failed to strenghten our team. With all the problems over Lescott "will he? won't he go?" business I am very concerned about our start to the season. But with Everton I have learned not to get to confident as usually I get let down.
Dave Brierley
7   Posted 13/08/2009 at 22:11:54

Nice one Michael. Good to read something on here just a little optimistic. Get used to the negative ramblings of Ciarán and the like. They do so love to celebrate our past failings and potential future demise.

Lescott will go but we will still have a good season.
Kristian Boyce
8   Posted 14/08/2009 at 05:55:25

Nice positive piece Michael, but Dave, Ciarán isn’t really negatively rambling, just merely stating some facts. I think he is spot on with the ’Points in the bag’ comment. Wigan are a tough little team, that has a manager and players who like to play attacking attractive football and something to prove. Also Burnley, does anyone remember everyone writing off Hull before last season, and then run they had the first half of it? Yes, you’d expect us to win, but they are by far from a guaranteed 6pts.
Ciarán McGlone
9   Posted 14/08/2009 at 09:44:05

Dave doesn’t do facts... or opinion. Even his own opinion on the article seems to be missing from that post.
Jason Broome
10   Posted 15/08/2009 at 01:53:02

It could be a great month or could be like August 2008.

If we beat Arsenal then that could dictate inspire a good, early run.

The fact is we should expect to win against the bottom half of the table. I think all to often we have a loser mentality.

Name me 1 player in the Burnley team worthy of a starting Xl in our squad?

We are no longer a team trying to survive. We should be looking up instead of down. I for one would be extremely disappointed if we fail to do the double over Burnley and Wigan.

Villa, Spurs, Arsenal and City all expect the same so why shouldn’t we?

As long as we respect the opposition, do our homework and fight for every inch of the pitch then (with the right additions) we should fear no-one!