NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

A Positive Spin

By Brian Baker :  14/08/2009 :  Comments (22) :
I had an article published on TW a short while ago critisiing all of the negative posters, at the same time asking them to be more positive.

Of course in response I got a barrage of replies, asking me what I have got to be so positive about regarding Everton at the moment. In fact I had pleas of desperation from some quarters to share my positive insight with them.

So as for something positive to carry us into the new season, here goes:

My positive spin on the coming season, stems mainly from the positive play we saw in periods taken from games last season and the spirit we adopted approaching most of those games.

The squad has come on in leaps and bounds after last season's poor start, often taking two steps forwards and then sometimes taking a step backwards. Some of our passages of play along the way have been sometimes quite special and would have the beating of any team in the league.

The teamwork, team spirit, player understanding and football ethos that Moyes has worked hard to achieve is still present, as the core of players on which it is based are still with us from last season. Thanks mainly due to the club's non-selling policy this summer.

That was not the case at the start of last season, with so many new players in the squad and some key players being injured or not match fit. Jagielka was also only finding his feet at CB, and prone to mistakes. Saha was also injured and we had no Jô.

For all these reasons we are much better prepared to start this season, with confidence gained from a good win over Malaga.

I do take on board our need to increase our squad numbers, as we potentially have a lot more games to play, but the base of the squad is there and in very good shape.

Most clubs who will be competing with us for the top six places have had changes in personnel and will no doubt take time settle and establish their best XIs. Moyes on the other hand already knows what his strongest side is, what the best tactics are and knows the strengths and weaknesses of his players.

IMO it all bodes well for the coming season.

Reader Comments

Ciarán McGlone
1   Posted 14/08/2009 at 12:32:33

Is that it?

We have no new players... is actually a positive? No new signings is like a new signing?

Alistair Campbell in the house.
Shaun Brennan
2   Posted 14/08/2009 at 13:04:35

Surely there are not positives to be taken when your manager states that his team is not ready for the coming season. The fact that the title has the word "spin" in it, says it all really!
Rupert Sullivan
3   Posted 14/08/2009 at 13:21:21

I agree Brian, but I’d go even further, I think it is great that Jags, Arteta and Yakuba are not back playing for us - they (as effectively new signings) would only de-stabilise this football understanding and ethos - keep em out for a long while I say... plus, let’s face it, when they do get to play again they’ll have really fresh legs (not having played for a year).
Kevy Quinn
4   Posted 14/08/2009 at 13:31:08

I can't wait for the match tomorrow and take our minds of what's been a frustrating summer. Any predictions??? I'll go 2-1 in our favour and oul Timmy the Kangaroo first goal.
Brian Baker
5   Posted 14/08/2009 at 13:34:19

Ciarán McGlone.
New players do take time to settle in and can disrupt a happy dressing room, not to mention geling on the field. So, yes in that sense new players can be a bad thing, which is why Moyes is careful who he chooses.
Equally he has to be wary of players who are want to leave the club, because they can disruptive as well.
I will be looking on with interest at Lescott’s performance and body language tomorrow, assuming he plays.
Tim Lloyd
6   Posted 14/08/2009 at 13:32:38

David Moyes is the Manager... What has he had to say?

David Moyes says he is ’looking forward’ to the coming season.

With the new season just one day away, Moyes explained that he is excited and hopes that his squad of players can improve further on last season’s fifth place finish and FA cup final appearance.

“Being able to walk out at a packed Goodison on a day like tomorrow is what we are all in it for. We have got something like 10-and-a-half months to look forward to and you can never tell how it is going to pan out," Moyes told the Liverpool Echo.

“There will be good times, there will be difficult times but everyone has their dreams just now and that’s what is so great. It’s an exciting industry to be involved in and when you are a manager of a team, you are right at the cutting edge.

“I’m looking forward to it, as much as I always have done. There has been another lift in out standards over the past 12 months and I can see in the players that they can’t wait to get up and running again.

“The work they have been doing has been excellent and it gives me great hope that they are all striving to get to the places that I want to take this club. We are all hoping to have as good a start as we can.”

Somehow, I can’t be so depressesd as Ciaran.
Ciarán McGlone
7   Posted 14/08/2009 at 13:55:31

Brian,

Don’t talk crap. Your last article was passable - but this one’s simply taking the piss.

TIm,

Two days ago Moyes said he was ’demented’....obviously he was lying because no new signings is suddenly the best way to improve the team!

I wasn’t aware one had to be the manager to offer an opinion...are you aware of the purpose of things called ’forums’.

Who say’s I’m depressed?

Give it a fuckin rest.
Dave Lynch
8   Posted 14/08/2009 at 13:58:10

A great win over them giants of european football.
Malaga ?
ffs
Steven Pendleton
9   Posted 14/08/2009 at 14:00:20

Ciaran, it seems like Moyes isn’t the only one who is feeling demented. Bit touchy today aren’t we??

Brian, I only wish I could view the situation as you see it but unfortunately I feel we’re at the crossroads and it’s now or never to make an impression on the Sky Four.The squad is threadbare and any serious injuries early in our campaign and we’re fucked!!

Yes, I know we’ve got some guns coming back but they’re all recovering from serious injuries and may not necessarily get back to their best in the immediate future.
Ciarán McGlone
10   Posted 14/08/2009 at 14:10:39

Steven,

Whenever you have people calling you depressed for simply pointing out how ludicrous it is to suggest we are better off without improving the squad...then it becomes quite hard to control my fingers on the keyboard.

People find it so hard to stick to the arguments.
Gavin Ramejkis
11   Posted 14/08/2009 at 14:17:40

Brian, no one is doubting we didn’t play some decent football last year but ignoring the injuries we got, the size of the squad and the impact those injuries had on the end of our season is unacceptable to many evertonians. Brian I’ll also take you to task on the disruptive implications of new players in the squad, this would only happen if the poor sods were given no pre-season to gel with colleagues which is exactly what the club will do despite lies, yes LIES, that new signings would be made early in order for them to gel with their team mates.

A growing number of fans and supporters are getting to the end of their collective tethers regarding the bullshit even more so given the early bird was so fucking early this year, false dawns and lies, how long does BK honestly think he can keep up his bullshit?
Alan Clarke
12   Posted 14/08/2009 at 14:33:29

How can you be positive when the manager himself says the squad’s not ready for the season and he’s going demented trying to sign players?

I enjoy going to the game and I’m glad the season’s starting but fuck me, some of you are clueless and I would like to know what you’re on so I can ask my doctor for the same prescription.
Stuart Downey
13   Posted 14/08/2009 at 14:50:59

David Moyes "I make the decisions, they should be talking to me!" awesome.

this has to be a case of tapping up, surely!
Ciarán McGlone
14   Posted 14/08/2009 at 14:55:58

If Moyes says he hasn’t actually talked to city...then it’s quite clearly conceivable that when Hughes stated he had yet to speak to those that made the decisions - he actually meant Moyes....

This whole episode has become so febrile that people are seeing ghosts were there are none... assumptions and hearsay are not helping this situation.
Ciarán McGlone
15   Posted 14/08/2009 at 15:18:20

Here’s the interview from Hughes that the response refers to...

When you see the interview - there’s not much wrong with what Hughes says...

Tim Lloyd
16   Posted 14/08/2009 at 16:46:00

You say you are not depressed Ciaran. Well what are you then?

It's a never ending source of wonder to me that you never, repeat never, write anything positive on this site. For two years on the trot, we’ve been fifth but one would think from reading your contributions that we have missed relegation by the skin of our teeth.

For pity’s sake lad, try to be a bit more optimistic. I know this is a forum but your ceaseless wingeing gets so many of us down.

Oh, by the way, I know you will rail at me for referring to you as ’lad’ but at my age, that’s just what you are.
Andy Crooks
17   Posted 14/08/2009 at 19:35:57

Tim, Sorry but Brian’s article is utter nonsense and Ciarán’s response is way too mild. Last season we finished perfectly poised to move on.

We needed to make two, possibly three signings. A wide man with pace to give us an alternative to the one-dimensional football we usually produce. A holding midfielder with the ability to make the odd incisive pass, and perhaps a utility defender.

This needed to be done as early as possible in the close season. An investment of £20 million was essential. Okay, we’re skint but a £20 million investment, even if it fails to get us into the Champions League, is not going to turn us into Leeds or Newcastle. If Bill Kenwright cannot find the investment required (even Hull can) then it is time he showed just how much he loves Everton and goes. Every cretinous word that he utters is an embarassment to the club. He is incompetent and proud of it.

Kevin Hudson
18   Posted 14/08/2009 at 19:24:15

Sneerin’ Mcglone,

I notice on Marshs’ article this morning (at 9am,hilarious !!) you queried my debating technique. In the spirit of "right to reply," and taking into account this isn’t the House of Commons,allow me yet again to expose your hypocrisy.

"Don’t talk crap,"and " give it a fuckin rest," are the two socratic pearls of snide embitterment you produced on this thread later the SAME day !! To say nothing of taking the author to task ,for his impetous positivity !! ( how DARE he !! )

At least practice what you preach !! And please, drop the poncey accent on your name. Or move to San Francisco. Ridiculous....Easy
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
19   Posted 14/08/2009 at 20:17:27

Note to the combatants: If your post contains what I will define as "Excessive Personalised Denigration" of another contributor it will be subject to removal, or selective trimming to remove said EPD.

Once again... please talk about the topic, not each other, and PLAY NICE!
Gavin Ramejkis
20   Posted 15/08/2009 at 07:26:28

Kevin got to let you know that lot’s of our Irish and foreign fans will have to move to San Francisco to satisfy your xenophobic needs, their native tongue has these accents and many more, it’s not poncey at all but just how it is, I have family and friends in Ireland with similar and you’d be shocked to try and pronounce some Lithuanian names.
Kevin Hudson
21   Posted 15/08/2009 at 09:34:32

Michael,Gavin & Ciaran,

Unreserved apologies all round if you guys took offence to my last post. It was genuinely meant in the joshing, back-and- forth spirit of good humour,that so often frequents this great site.I would in no way,wish to "actually," offend anyone, or come across as mean-spirited,and am indeed chastened by the thought that I may have; that truly wasn’t my intention,and I fully accept the admonishments put forward.

If I may just qualify my mockery:The intention was only to have a little fun at the affectation placed onto Ciarans’ name; in no way was it prompted by xenophobic reasoning. When he first made himself known on the site,the accent wasn’t present; indeed it was added later. That’s what drew me to that conclusion; ie-that it was poncey. I’ve Irish heritage on both sides,and wouldn’t hear a bad word said against that country !! So I fully accept it may be cutlural, I do apologise,and fair play..

As regards to Lithuanian names,I speak Russian,and my best friend is Ukranian-and you’re so right ! Lithuanian does sound a pretty difficult language for the tongue to get to grips with !! The only Lithuanian words I know,are: Kalbate angliskai ? ( apologies if I spelt it wrong )

Thanks guys-Come On The Blues !!
Gavin Ramejkis
22   Posted 15/08/2009 at 22:27:32

Kevin, not a problem but here we go with accents again, it’s aš kalbu angliškai, I speak English, after today nothing is going to upset me any more.