NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Reasons to be cheerful?

By Peter Tomlinson :  15/08/2009 :  Comments (6) :

So we got spanked 6-1 at home today by a team who many people have pointed out recently for not improving their side much this summer either, but it's not all doom and gloom. I wear my blue tinted spectacles and listen to what Bill Kenwright tells me so I know everything is great. Here are a few reasons for my blind optimism.

We only lost 6-1. It could have been a lot more, and we didn't break any records with the result so that will go under the radar and everyone will have forgotten about it by the time they pick up the NOTW and see what David Beckham has been wearing this week.

So we haven't signed anyone yet? Maybe... but just think how much money we will have saved on wages by the time we do sign someone on transfer deadline day. Why buy someone pre-season and get them used to our negative style of play, trying to avoid defeat, when we can get them in at the last minute and avoid paying them potentially 3 months wages? And we get the added benefit of watching them slowly settle into the side and watch with joy at the silly mistakes they make when they give Tony Hibbert the ball in space thinking that he might be able put in a decent cross.

Yakubu, Arteta and Jagielka will all be back before the end of the year. That's like 3 new signings and it won't cost us a penny.

Lescott is still here, and we haven't snapped off Mark Hughes's hand for offering us ridiculous money for an average defender. Maybe we could use that money to strengthen the team but, as I have pointed out above, we already have 3 top class signings ready to return.

We still have pretty much the same size squad as we had last season. So what if we were short of number last season, we still finished 5th didn't we. And because we have the same squad of players we will definitely finish in 5th again this season regardless of whether our rivals have all strengthened. I know because I read the ToffeeWeb mailbag...

Bill Kenwright is the man in charge, and he told me to watch this space. I'm still watching and I am sure he is about to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Senderos hasn't signed... two weeks after publicly stating our intentions to sign him. Hopefully he will have seen the performance today and will see that he's guaranteed a start, and will sign for less money.

Our new kit looks really cool, honest. I can't wait for us to play in the pink one.

Tony Hibbert is only a couple of years away from being due a testimonial. Hopefully Real Madrid will be up for coming to town to celebrate. I just hope they don't try and pinch him when they seem him consistently being able to miss his team mates with every single pass.

We are still on the same number points as Liverpool and they spend loads of money.

One  of the eight Sky 4 games out of the way...

Hopefully, some of you will see the sarcasm in my post. However, these are just some of the ridiculous points I keep reading on here, and today hammered home how ridiculous they are.

This time last year was exactly the same, and we had to watch while an awful Blackburn side beat us at home. Not long after that game we signed Carlo Nash and Fellaini and everyone thought everything was ok again. We then went on to have a great season and everyone seemed to forget about the travesty at the start of the season. If this hadn't have happened, we could seriously have been pushing for 4th.

I have been feeling sick all pre-season watching again how inept we are. I just hope the result has made some people wake up and see that we can't stand still and we seriously need to strengthen. If selling Lescott to raise funds is the only way to do it then fair enough. We don't have billionaire backers so this is the only way forward. There is no point keeping a player who doesn't want to be there when a club is prepared to pay triple his value to take him away.

Yes I currently live in Sydney, so some of you will probably tell me that my opinion doesn't count because I don't live within 100 metres of the ground and don't go to every game. If it was the case that you had to go to every game to be considered a fan then we would only have 30,000 fans worldwide and the club would be extinct.

If I can see the problems with the club on the other side of the world, then how come most others can't? Getting spanked 6-1 hurts just as much on the other side of the world as it does sat in the ground.

Gutted!

Reader Comments

Marc Williams
1   Posted 16/08/2009 at 10:19:57

Nice one, Peter, made me smile & that’s no mean feat after yesterday's abortion. I’ve no doubt some of the more deluded on here will take the fact you live in Sydney or any other excuse to ignore these sort of posts, that’s if they even get the irony.

I didn’t go along yesterday as two weeks ago I decided that until the club, especially the chairman, starts to show the same committment I do, I would not be forking out. So that’s 4 tickets & 3 new kits NOT sold so far — and we’re not going on Thursday either.

Barry Thompson
2   Posted 16/08/2009 at 11:11:42

Peter, you forgot to mention another positive.
It wont be too long now before the problem of restricted views at GP are no longer a problem The only downside is that you have to be prepared to pay £30/£40 to watch shite like that served up.
James Boden
3   Posted 16/08/2009 at 11:30:06

But remember, Peter, Kenwright hopes and prays something can be done. Remember, he is just a fan.
Dennis Stevens
4   Posted 16/08/2009 at 11:44:43

I’d query one point there, Peter - I’m sure I read that yesterday’s result was a record defeat for the opening match of the season (for Everton that is, probably not the entire footballing world!). Although overall Moyes appears to do a decent job it does seem that the lows whilst he’s been manager have been quite dramatic lows. It does make me wonder whether the highs he’s given us are as good as it will get whilst Moyes is in charge.
Peter Tomlinson
5   Posted 16/08/2009 at 14:00:24

Thanks Marc. Yes I live in Sydney, but that is only a recent lifestyle choice. As much as I loved watching Everton when I wan’t playing football, the excuse to improve my life dragged me to Sydney. However, when I have previously posted I have come in for abuse for not being a real fan due to my geographical location.

I would love to be able to go to the game every week and sit behind a gig white post and applaud Louis Saha for scoring a consolation goal deep into an injury time nightmare, but unfortunatley my pursuit of of improving my own life has deviated me away from this path.

Back when I was a kid, I could be found wearing my Everton shirt screaming from the terraces screaming my disapproval at Mike Walker. Nowadays, I am stuck with reading ToffeeWeb and books like Mark Ward’s recent eye opener. However, I am in the priveleged position to be able to afford Fox Sports and choose which Premier League game I watch every week. Therefore I do get to watch Everton every single week, including lots of replays of incidents, so I can actually have an opinion on everything Everton.

Unfortunately this doesn’t count for anything cos I don't go to the game every week. Dennis, you are indeed right, the lows are lower than ever. However, I am sure we will have a great season. I just wish we could bring in players pre-season and blood them into the squad and see what happens.

Stephen Graham
6   Posted 17/08/2009 at 00:31:32

I wrote this for the post-match thread — it may be appropriate to repeat it here:

After being well and truly arse-kicked, there has to be some lesson(s) and/or positive(s). Perhaps some of these?

No-one wants to be shown up like that ever, but if you had to choose just one PL club, on pain of death, for one seasonal massacre at home, I’d bet we’d prefer Arsenal to do it (spits). Imagine the Shite, Man Ure, Chelski, Villa, Shitteh, etc.

Osman AND Hibbert were substituted. Good things start from single instances.

It was the first game, so we can pretend that was a warm-up against a top-flight team, and our season starts next week.

We can only improve. It can’t possibly get worse than that, can it?

There were less obstructed views at Goodison for the last third of the game.

Moyes will have to reconsider his one game plan, won’t he?

Every other team who visits Goodison will now be lulled into a false sense of security, due to our evil plan as initiated today. Tim Howard got a lot of match practise. Fellaini didn’t get booked.

No-one can accuse us of negative, defensive play. >DK is the furthest thought from anyone’s mind. THAT wiped the smile of BK’s face.

We have scored more goals than Villa, Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves, Burnley, and Portsmouth.

Lawro had us down for a win.