NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

The Jersey is Staying on the Floor

By Simon Dunne :  17/08/2009 :  Comments (26) :

Supporting a club is never easy. For any club, it has its highs and lows. Take Manchester United for example, two seasons ago they won a remarkable double, with their star player being crowned World Player of the year. The following year, although still winning the league, they were comprehensively beat by Barcelona on the greatest stage of all, and lost their star to those who, while referring to as a mob, “they wouldn’t sell a virus to”.

I would like to believe the above point. However, there are three teams that I support in the sporting world that seem to give me nothing but constant heartbreak. In no particular order (and that is a massive debate for another day);

Republic of Ireland Football Team- Supporting this team is hard. Very hard. The organisation of the association is a shambles and we reached a low when appointing a non- experienced manager in Steve Staunton and getting hammered 5-2 in Cyprus while than coming away from San Marino with a disgusting 2-1 victory thanks to out now-to-be castaway star player Stephen Manchester. Oh Sorry, Stephen Ireland. Of course, with everything under the regime, there was an excuse and this time Staunton claimed. “It’s ok, we always play better in March”. WTF?? I will be shocked if we make South Africa this year.

Dublin GAA Team- This might not hold much relevance to most readers so I will keep it short. Every year there is a Gaelic Football Championship between the 32 counties in Ireland. Dublin, although amongst the favourites have not won in 14 years. 1995 !! What a year for me ay!! We were lined up to play the greatest country of all in the quarters this year and the county was buzzing as we were odds on to beat them as we had player so well in the earlier rounds. We lost, by 17 points. The odds of the mighty Dublin losing by this amount prior to the game were roughly 500/1 ! I came home, and put ter jersey away saying that won’t be word for at least a year.

Now we have Everton. Supporting this club has often been described as a rollercoaster ride. However, it’s a special roller coaster isn’t it. It’s one of those ones that slowly, slowly, slowly, slowly (see the point), crawls to the top, you just reach the top, and than… bang, in a disgusting, stomach turning, horrifying, drop, we seem to be right down at the bottom. That really was disgusting on Saturday. After getting up all excited, watching two games of ball as a build up, here I was, sat on the couch on my own ( I like to watch Everton games on my own so I don’t have to listen to the United and Liverpool morans spout shite after their eleven pints ) ready for our kick off. Needless to say, the jersey was fucked against the wall, prior to landing on the ground, where it remains.

After Saturday's debacle, I really sat down and had a good think. The thing with Dublin and Ireland is, it’s difficult to stop supporting. It’s where I’m from. The whole community is up for games. I’m certain the inhabitants of Liverpool have this which I am very envious of. However, I don’t think it’s the fact that my local residents aren’t up for Everton, that has resulted in me feeling the need to forget about the whole Premiership nonsense. It’s unfair. Plain and simple. Chelsea and City are prime examples. While Everton kick, scrape, dig, and crawl their way to the top of the mountain, City just hop on a magic lift and there they are, right up there with the other filthy rich “big clubs”.

That has what has me Sat here wondering is there any point in continuing the support. We’re not going anywhere without billions. And if we do get billions, we are like the rest of them aren’t we. The only people that can solve this once competitive league are Fifa. Salary Caps and Transfer Limits are a very easy and simple way to solve it.

The thing is that “Big Club” City and Sir Whisky face will have their finest layers working to insure this does not happen. I’m sure it’s against EU Regulation or companies are aloud pay what they want blah blah blah.

I’m not blaming that for out disgraceful performance Saturday but it really is difficult to keep on supporting. All this never-ending heart-break and for what?

Oh Shit, left Jersey on the floor… It better be bloody ready for Thursday.. God I hate sport…...

COYB…

Reader Comments

Ciarán McGlone
1   Posted 17/08/2009 at 14:46:47

Simon,

Replace Dublin football with Antrim Hurling and I’m in exactly the same situation - and after going to croke to watch us get slaughtered by those greats of hurling....er......Dublin...I put my shirt away too...

However, as you say the Antrim and Republic allegiances are ones of accident, of birth....the Everton one however comes from a whole different place...that’s why it’s hardest to put down.
Simon Dunne
2   Posted 17/08/2009 at 15:07:45

True!

Funny thing is, went to put on a top for training yesterday! Nice Everton sweatshirt sitting there neatly folded!

I went for the Dublin one! Time is a great heeler!
Dave Wilson
3   Posted 17/08/2009 at 15:17:36

Sorry, Simon lad, but supporting all three is just plain masochistic. I ditched England and Lancashire years ago.

Everton are able to provide me with as much heartache as I can handle.
Stephen Graham
4   Posted 17/08/2009 at 15:22:28

You think you’ve got it bad? I’m Scottish, and supporting Scotland is not a choice ... you all know about Scotland, the other ’nearly’ team. I live in Toronto now, and so supporting the richest, most frustrating team in ice hockey, who haven’t won anything since 1967 is also not a choice (Toronto Maple Leafs). And of course, I support Everton, which is equally not a choice!
Dave Wilson
5   Posted 17/08/2009 at 15:38:20

See, Simon? Just goes to show, there’s always someone worse off than yourself.

Nice one, Stephen, you made me smile for the first time since Saturday.
Dave Wilson
6   Posted 17/08/2009 at 15:40:46

So... Is there anyone worse off than Stephen?
Tony Williams
7   Posted 17/08/2009 at 16:04:16

I am becoming more disillusioned with football as a whole. Money is destroying the great sport and the past years of having no money is playing on my soul.

I actually considered not renewing this season but the sado-masachist inside me won out.

I would never, ever stop supporting Everton but the time as when I stop going the game is an near now as it ever was.

Do feel better though after reading Stephen’s post...
Rupert Sullivan
8   Posted 17/08/2009 at 16:25:07

Tony - I’m with you on this one. The money game in recent years has taken over. The fact that without a Billionaire or regular Champion’s League footy a club stands zero chance of competing... where is the surprise any more..?

Although I must admit to having been surprised on Saturday...
Simon Dunne
9   Posted 17/08/2009 at 16:42:48

I’m very disillusioned alright. What is the point. I really just cant see the point. Than we have a night like last February when we beat the RS 1-0 and you wonder does that make it worth while.

Not so sure anymore.
Richard Osborne
10   Posted 17/08/2009 at 18:18:49

Stephen - Where abouts in Toronto are you? I live along Eglinton East at Eglinton and Laird.

Did you watch the game on Saturday? I was in Scallywags at St Clair. Obviously it was pretty embarrassing as the place was full of Gooners!

If you don’t already, get up to Scallywags. The Toronto Toffees are based there and they seem like a really nice bunch. Maybe I’ll see you in there Thursday??
Shane Corcoran
11   Posted 17/08/2009 at 18:27:24

Yes, Dave, I am worse off than Simon, Ciaran and Dave Lynch. I’m from Cavan the most successful team in Ulster and we’re the laughing stock of the GAA. Anyway I understand how difficult it is. But you’re right. I’m sure it’s a lot worse for supporters from Liverpool.

I get excited by the prospects of the blues and frustrated by the lack of progress but there’s nothing as bad as your local team letting you down as the Breffni Blues do. But then we realise it’s hardly life and death. Come on you Blues,Blues and Greens.

Andy Crooks
12   Posted 17/08/2009 at 19:45:15

Simon, I watched Northern Ireland in the Sammy Mcilroy era. I would suggest to you that nothing in the history of being a supporter compares to the horror that each new game brought.
Stephen Graham
13   Posted 17/08/2009 at 20:53:23

Richard Osborne: I’m at St. Clair/Oakwood, about 4 km from Scallywags — a fine footy establishment and a fine group of blues in the Toronto Toffees!
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 18/08/2009 at 01:07:05

Stephen, I watched the Jacobites getting bladdered by the Norwegians the other night but to be honest it wasn’t half as humiliating as Arsenal tearing Everton 6 new arseholes, Denilson could have played keepy up before he shot and don’t even start me with Fabric Arse virtualling walking the ball in and how many new signings that weekend scored for their new clubs? Was never going to happen at Everton because, you guessed it, we signed fucking no-one.
Shaun Brennan
15   Posted 18/08/2009 at 09:03:09

Why do you leave clothes lying around on the floor? Your like my missus. Shes a bit of a scruff too!!!!
Paul Joy
16   Posted 18/08/2009 at 09:02:09

Reading about the emotional heartache all you celts put yourselves through over those bloodsports of yours has been a tonic after all the Everton bloodletting since Saturday.

What was it Alan Ball once said? Once Everton has touched you etc.
Paul Davey
17   Posted 18/08/2009 at 09:23:01

Dave Lynch, I'm from Offaly, where are you.

Great article by the way.
Simon Dunne
18   Posted 18/08/2009 at 10:37:53

Shaun, I’d usually pick them up. But after an angry afternoon like Saturday last, I felt I wouldnt be needing it again! I do hoe mother dear has it nicely pressed for Thursday evening!
Jamie Morgan
19   Posted 18/08/2009 at 11:43:02

Everton is in your blood, its that simple, and sometimes we hate to love them so much.... but we still do.

The fact remains that if my missus pissed me off as much as Everton do, I would have chucked her out years ago!
Colin McBride
20   Posted 18/08/2009 at 13:06:05

Ha, great post made me laugh, but try being from Wicklow for christ sakes!
Shane Corcoran
21   Posted 18/08/2009 at 13:30:21

You beat our crowd Colin.
Robert Treacy
22   Posted 18/08/2009 at 13:35:50

Simon, the same three painful teams and I can't vent my frustration by playing.

But you just can't but not love the Blues because that's why I love football, you never know when you're going to hammer someone or derail their Championship aspirations like Cahill did last year.
John Green
23   Posted 18/08/2009 at 16:51:40

Simon, I was in Oslo to see my international team disgraced and humiliated and was at Goodison for a second helping last Saturday. BUT I claim the prize for most heartache following my beloved because I saw every game that Scotland played under Bertie Voghts — believe me, things are not that bad just yet!
Dave Lynch
24   Posted 18/08/2009 at 18:40:56

Paul Davey. I live on the Wirral. I am married to an Offaly woman (Tullamore). Spent a lot of time over there over the past couple of years. Educated by my bro-in-law into the rules and tactics of GAA. Both great games, so had no choice in who I supported really.

Last game was at O’Connell Park when Westmeath battered the footy boys about 12 months ago. Opposite of Irish lads following the prem I suppose. I work with a Killkenny lad who never shuts up about hurling, for obvious reasons.

Brendan O'Doherty
25   Posted 19/08/2009 at 00:31:02

As we’re all at it - G’wan the Saffrons!

Good post Simon, but number 3 is the one you have to live with the most. Things can’t get any worse. Get your shirt washed in readiness of things to come!

See ya in Fraser’s for a European game soon. COYB!
Jamie Crowley
26   Posted 19/08/2009 at 02:55:49

As a life long Boston Red Sox fan, I can only say — hold to Hope.

Stephen Graham — I’m, of course, a Boston Bruins fan as well. I played hockey from the age of 5 to 38. Having lost 4 front teeth — I’ve some really nice fake ones now — I quit hockey. The Bruins are brutal to root for — but the Mapleleafs are just pure Hell. How do they not win a thing with the money they have and the support? My condolences. They are great fans! And they not only don’t win shit, they can’t even make the flippin playoffs!. Seriously, my condolences.

I was in the Lucky Leprachaun in Orlando, Florida 2 weeks ago and met a really, really good fella who runs the Orlando hurling club. With Irish roots in my gene pool, I’d love to pick a team and jump on a bandwagon. But there’s no coverage in the States.... It’s the only game "man" enough for me to add to my sporting "world." Ciaran, as a guy I read often and enjoy your contributions, any chance you might direct me to any website where I can educate myself on Atrim? Although my family’s from Cork — and I think there’s a pretty good club in those parts that wouldn’t cause so much suffering — at least a friend originally from Dublin tells me.

Hurling is fantastic I think. What other sport can you ignore the ball and take a piece of wood and drive it into an opponent’s mouth?

If you have a second Ciaran, give me a brief education on hurling. I’d love the info.