NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

We Need a New Board

By Phil Martin :  17/08/2009 :  Comments (55) :
I expect everyone is still seething after Saturday and I won’t delve into why I believe we got hammered. There’s plenty of articles covering that already... but almost a year ago we were beaten by a poor Blackburn side at home, followed by a 3-0 humiliation at home to Pompey. Saturday's result was just as bad as those but I wasn’t totally surprised.

Yes, tactics weren't great, but c'mon those players are professionals. They know how to run, how to mark and how to kick a ball. The team looked completely demoralised. A team not prepared for an assault on the top 4 or even top 10.

The fact is, for the 2nd year running, despite having European football and a 5th place finish, we have no money to reinforce. Is this a coincidence that the summers we don’t spend, we start abysmally? We have let squad players leave over the summer and failed AGAIN to provide our manager with ANY funds at all. Now this doesn't excuse the disgraceful result on Saturday, but quite obviously the board haven't learnt their lesson either.

Even SAF has stressed on occasions the importance of bringing in new faces — even to a title winning team. It freshens things, and keeps players on their toes, as well as strengthening the squad. Yet our board continually fail to provide any money to Moyes. I accept they don’t have cash to provide, but why on earth as supporters are we satisfied with this? This is what happens when don’t build during the pre-season and then play against a strong team who have a point to prove.

To all those who dare to suggest, we'll be ok because Liverpool (Johnson, Aquilani), Villa (Downing, Delph), Spurs (Crouch, Bassong , Naughton) haven't bought much are deluded. We are weaker than we were last year and in serious trouble if we don’t win convincingly on Thursday night. This situation isn’t acceptable! Not for us as fans, as a manager or as a player.

To those who think Moyes is happy going along with this because "he's on a good screw" or "he's not going to get a better offer" again you're mistaken. If we don’t improve our last season's performance and he doesn't get funds again he will leave. Professional pride dictates that no top manager would put up with working long term with these restrictions.

I would hate to think how many of our top players would follow him too. He’s a proud guy and like most, doesn’t want to look like a mug. I wrote an article back in July criticising the board for not being up to the job. I even offered an apology if they proved me wrong this summer by allowing DM to spend and build. Guess what — I'm typing another frigging article about us being in the shit yet again.

We blew it in 2005 with the Championss League because we didn’t back the manager, we blew it last year in the first few weeks of the season. And this year looks like panning out identical to last. No summer signings just a scramble for loanees, freebies and a possible one off purchase on deadline day.

I personally think Man City will finish 5th this year and Hughes will get the bullet. I could also well imagine Moyes being an attractive new manager to the Arabs. Someone who has previously broken the Top4 and knows the PL inside out.

The fact is we need a new Board and Chairman. Someone with ambition, vision, and means. Forget that Kenwright claptrap “we need a billionaire, but there’s none out there”. We don’t need a billionaire or a half-billionaire. £20M last summer or this summer for DM to spend (without selling first) would’ve made the world of difference.

It’s the current board (Kenwright, Woods and Earl) holding this club back. They are unable to service this club in the manner its history and size demand. There needs to be a full and frank statement along the lines “The current board don’t have the resources to take this club forward and are looking for new ownership who can deliver success to this great club and match our fans expectations”. Not media spun rhetoric about “looking for buyers 24/7”. We need change and it has to come quickly.

Reader Comments

Andy Crooks
1   Posted 17/08/2009 at 14:48:09

Phil, you make some excellent points. In the absence of a billionaire, is the curent board the best available option? I think not. A £20 million investment could have prepared us for the Champions League.

However, I disagree re. David Moyes. It seems to me that £3.5 million a year has bought a lot of loyalty. Also, last season our budget was invested on Fellaini; Arsenal got Arshavin.

Brian Noble
2   Posted 17/08/2009 at 14:51:56

The real truth is that, if Moyes wasn’t so bloody proud, he would have accepted that Lescott’s value to the club in million pound notes far outweighs his merits as a player!

Common sense dictates that if a player’s mind has been turned (however wrongly) his being FORCED to fulfill his contract will have reverberations throughout the team. The problem here is that Davey Boy just can’t accept that one of his favourite sons — an average defender he has transformed into an International — could possibly want to turn his back on the club for something as base as money.

Unfortunately, that’s life and before accusing all and sundry of doing Everton down, our esteemed leader wants to reflect on how his own sour demeanour a year ago as he pursued great personal riches so affected the team’s early season performances.

Get a new Board in by all means — nobody could be more useless than this lot — but don’t let’s throw all the blame on the men upstairs... the one at pitchside has an awful lot to answer for!

Ciarán McGlone
3   Posted 17/08/2009 at 15:01:34

"I accept they don’t have cash to provide"
--------------------

Not so sure that’s true. They simply aren’t interested in growing their investment with their own money. I’m sure if you have to register you company in the Virgin Islands, then you obviously have enough money for tax avoidance to be profitable.
Alan Noon
4   Posted 17/08/2009 at 15:29:05

Yeah, yeah, yeah we need a new board, maybe a dodgy Thai like Thaksin who has been kicked out of his own country, or some Russian mafia bloke.... hmmm, maybe a phoney American or yes, here we go how about Mike Astley? Be careful what you ask for.

I don’t put the blame at BK. Moyes is simply crap at handling transfers. He dithered when we got to the Champions League on getting a forward, he dithered last year... and he dithered again this year. Moyes ain’t a dealer, he should of got shot of Lescott two months ago for £20M and rebuilt the right side and another centre half.

Moyes has flattered to deceive for a few seasons, team spirit has held Everton together and now that this is threatened we can see how crap footballing wise we are. If Moyes was any good he would have seen how weak we were at the cup final down the right and in midfield...... did he pursue anyone in those positions this summer — did he hell as like.

Andy Codling
5   Posted 17/08/2009 at 16:05:52

Alan, Moyes did identify a right back in Naughton. Unfortunately, other clubs are not prepared to accept pitiful bids from idiots like Kenwright. Let's face it, would you be happy if we sold Lescott for half a million up front and the rest on appearances? I can't believe people don't get the big picture that Billy the Liar Kenwright is destroying this club.
Phil Martin
6   Posted 17/08/2009 at 16:12:38

Alan Noon, I don’t really understand this ideal that means a new owner has to be foreign AND a dodgy one too. Are you suggesting there are no respectable football following businessmen outside of the UK?

I also disagree regarding Moyes and dithering. When you need 4 players to improve but have a £5-10M budget then you need to be patient. If we had money to spend then we could afford to go straight for our targets and be confident of matching other clubs financially. That is that problem FFS, we can’t.

So Moyes has to be 100% sure he is getting value for money in every player he bids for. We fucked up the Champs League because we had £10M to spend on transforming a hotly tipped relegation facing side to a Champs League contender. Or do you think that’s a realistic target? Cos most fucking don’t!

How the fuck does Moyes buy a top class right back and right midfielder with £0 and 0 pence? Obviously you must know, so please enlighten us.

Oh and did you forget. We still don’t have a pot to piss in , AGAIN. We’re moving to a tin pot reduced capacity stadium in Kirkby. But hey at least those dirty foreigners aren’t in charge coos they rePbr />Agreed that Saturday was a disgrace. However I disagree regarding Lescott. Moyes’ stance is admirable and has drawn applause from other managers. Villa proved with Barry that these things can be worked out fairly and not to the detriment of the selling club.

Jamie Carroll
7   Posted 17/08/2009 at 10:15:49

Since David Moyes got the Everton job in 2002, at the end of each season, he has left everton in a good position/state. Older players sold/moved on (Ginola/Gascoigne/Ferguson etc) and younger players brought in (Yobo/Cahill/Arteta etc) League position's have been higher than previous regime's (not counting cup competition's, but it's the league where you play your first game of the season).

Now in my mind, David Moyes has kept up his job in presenting Everton in an attractive position each season for the club to kick on and improve the player's/increase the squad quality... But has it happened? NO! and for David Moyes to see this year on year must be soul destroying for him privately, as all his and his coaching staff's (and players!) good work go up in smoke after just one game! and not just this season either.

Have Everton kicked on from the great season last year? No it's 17 August and still no player's have been signed, the feel good factor up in smoke from last year and made to look a laughing stock on the opening day.

Bill Kenwright must take the blame, his manager has done everyting in his power on a LIMITED budget and now see's the sharks (Man City) hovering over his prized assets. Each year the rocket (Everton) is ready for take off, yet, the power's that be (chairman) don't know where it's heading...

Richard Dodd
8   Posted 17/08/2009 at 18:06:03

Nobby, you just don’t listen, do you. I told you on Saturday evening that all this fuss about Lescott is merely Davey posturing to get the deal with City he has always been after. That equates with £26M (£20M cash and a player or two). I’m his greatest fan and he’s not daft enough to hang on to a disgruntled player just because his pride’s hurt, I can assure you! That would just not be sound judgement.

Joleon WILL be gone by deadline day and BB will make ALL the cash available for reinforcements. What’s more, the shewd way Davey’s played this will ensure the fans will be glad to see the back of ’the disgruntled one’!

Trevor Williams
9   Posted 17/08/2009 at 18:39:47

Richard Dodd, DM is not daft???

1. He Played Lescott Saturday... Why ?
2. He has said all along that he won't sell anyone and now you are saying he has planned this all along.

Well, if I was to get egg on my face at work like that then I would expect to be called at least daft. Also, how are you so sure we are going to be able to use all the money in the Transfer Market? I am sure DM doesnt even know that yet with BK’s history...
Chris Matheson
10   Posted 17/08/2009 at 18:47:00

Phil I agree with your article. I question how we are going to make it happen as I fear too many of us blues are too passive to force him out (and I was at Charlton when Johnson sold Duncan Ferguson, that was about as angry as it got). But your article pretty much sums up my own views.

One correction: you quote Kenwright as saying he is "looking for buyers 24/7". I believe he actually said he was looking for INVESTMENT 24/7. There’s a subtle difference: investment implies taking somebody else’s money but remaining in charge of the club.
Phil Bellis
11   Posted 17/08/2009 at 19:07:36

That’s it Dodd. Nobody calls David Moyes a posturing liar while I’m about. Name the time, date and venue.
Joe Hurst
12   Posted 17/08/2009 at 19:46:48

O wrangling board, who search what fire
Shall burn this club, have none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire
That Destination Kirkby might be it.

(with apologies to John Donne).
Kevy Quinn
13   Posted 17/08/2009 at 20:32:08

Richard Dodd, If Lescott leaves around deadline day we’ll have no time to get replacements or buy shite like Afro man! Need to sell him now and not mess about like we have been doing all summer. Who would want to join us after that shambles anyway?

I was out playing football there now in my Everton top. Fuck the abuse I got was unreal. What a pile of shite after what should have been a great summer of building the team. Depressing!
Jay Harris
14   Posted 17/08/2009 at 20:55:48

Phil a very good and unemotional insight.

IMO DM and Elstone have been told yet again this year by the real board (Green and Earl) that no money will be available until DK decision is known and now like last year he is "demented" and that has rubbed off on the squad.

Together with Lescott pushing for a move and Moyes feeling that he is unlikely to see any of the money, he has made his stand in the only way he can.

"None of my players are for sale and I am the one who makes the decisions" is IMO a statement to the board to either back him or sack him. I think the players know this and are therefore highly demotivated.

Kenwright and his smoke and mirrors are to blame and if it wasn't for the Rooney money, which I believe he was behind, he would have been found out a long time ago. Like the phoney actor that he is he always has a prop to bring out to divert the attention.

Fortress Sports Fund
Rooney sale
Beattie sale
Sylvester Stallone
McFadden sale
Johnson sale
Manny Fernandes non-event
Kirkby

Kenwright must go as quickly as possible and, as Marshy says, if he loves EFC as much as he says, he’ll orchestrate the sale of the shares he bought for £20 million for £40 million and still see a tidy profit instead of the reputed £200 million being asked for when DK gets the nod!!

KENWRIGHT OUT
Joe Hurst
15   Posted 17/08/2009 at 21:30:19

Everything I read about Mr Samuelson (FSF) in the "In The City" section of Private Eye suggested that we were fortunate that it never worked out...
Kevy Quinn
16   Posted 17/08/2009 at 21:39:08

Jay you forgot ’’WOW’’ , 24/7 etc etc
Phil Martin
17   Posted 17/08/2009 at 21:27:30

Jay, I agree. The board have let us down yet again! The manager sets the example and the tone for his players. Moyes spoke like a broken man last week.

Has there ever been another Everton boss who has publicly stated his sheer despair for our great Club’s state so close to a season? The phrases "feeling demented" and "the players aren’t ready" speak volumes. This can’t go on...the players pick up on this and become unsettled too.

No transfer funds for yet another summer and a prospective new home outside the city built to the most average of standards.

I really, truly hope that what people say about the uncertainty over DK preventing certain board members putting money into the club, OR selling up is untrue. Because if it is we are screwed. And not by a "dodgy foreign investor" that some people here rant about.

This club is becoming a rudderless ship.

Sean Patton
18   Posted 17/08/2009 at 21:56:43

I think we do have money to spend and I think the criticism for the way we conduct our transfers should not be solely directed at Kenwright.

In the days before Moyes we wrapped up transfers pretty quickly and were not flush with cash. Smith used to sign players without a problem and Kenwright was in charge then so why over the last 5 or 6 years have prospective Everton transfers gone on for ever. I remeber the deal for Arteta went on for months after his loan expired and there are numerous other examples.

It is only since Moyes has been in charge that any deals for players has dragged on.
Jay Harris
19   Posted 17/08/2009 at 22:37:58

Sean, you are making 2 plus 2 = 5. The reason it drags on now as opposed to then is twofold.

1. The market prices have gone up considerably in both wages and fees for AVERAGE players.

2. Since Billy liar took over our debt has increased from £5 million to an estimated £75 million plus and we no longer have any assets to mortgage at the bank.

Hence we are trying to do deals on the cheap and on the drip neither of which is that attractive to clubs with marketable players. It also sends out the wrong message to todays players who are heavily advised by agents who obviously want to "chase the money". Moyes is therefore constantly shopping in bargain buy and has to be so careful because Uncle Bill will only give him 1 shilling so he needs to spend it wisely. That’s why everything takes so long now and why we frequently fail to sign a player.

Other than that there are the usual Kenwright "ghost " bids to encourage people to believe we’re still operating in "Business class". For example the Quaresma and Mouthino stories. I don't think we can blame Moyes — I think he is the victim rather than the architect.
Adrian Seal
20   Posted 17/08/2009 at 22:49:18

Ciaran...

This is the first comment I’ve posted on this fabulous site. I’ve been an interested observer for a while now but it’s time to speak!

Frankly your posts are bizarre. You seem to have a system which works thus;

1, Skim through an article/post

2, Find a minor flaw (spelling mistake, small factual error, something positive (!), etc)

3, Post a comment quoting the ’mistake’ followed by a pseudo-intellectual and/or sanctimonious reply.

I can only surmise that you have far too much time on your hands, perhaps a seriously boring office job?

For the record I suppose I’m a ’realist’ fan and can only hope that Moyes, Osman, Hibbert, Fellaini et al never ever look at Toffeeweb...with the attitude of fans like you they’d be fucking defeated before they even set foot on the pitch!

There now, I’ve said it...now for Mr Marsh :-)

COYB!!!
John Andrews
21   Posted 17/08/2009 at 23:30:16

Who, in their right mind, would sign for Everton now? We badly need replacements for both Hibbert and Osman as they are both bleeding useless! I think Jay as summed it up fairly accurately.
Richard Jones
22   Posted 17/08/2009 at 23:34:49

So he is going now Doddy, are you sticking with that now I've said all along he’ll be going and I'll be interested to see how much is spent of the money brought in, I wonder what Neil Pearce will think of it all... where is he by the way?

OH NEIL WHERE ARE YOU?

Alan Noon
23   Posted 18/08/2009 at 00:16:27

Just in response to Phil Martin, I did not say that a new owner had to be foriegn, I pointed out the fact that a number of clubs who have had money injected via a ’new’ board have either fallen on their own swords e.g. Portsmouth and Wet Ham or, have questonable ethics e.g. City, Liverpool, Newcastle etc.

The simple thing is that there is not a lot of money sloshing about in the economy for someone to take over Everton. Next thing we’ll be seeing are a bunch of knobheads on the terraces with banners wanting new owners (just like those did across the park).

In terms of Dave’s dithering, Naughton was a case in point, the deal was agreed but then Spurs put in a more significant bid 36 hours later. If the deal was agreed why wasn’t it signed and sealed? If Moyes knows he is limited in budget why the hell was it outlined we had Naughton only for him to be taken back? Davey is an astute coach but he needs someone to handle the ins and outs of the club.

David O'Keefe
24   Posted 18/08/2009 at 01:02:53

Alan: The Board are not up to the job, there is no money in the bank for transfers and then there is Kirkby. If it's not working, take a risk and make a change.
Jason Lam
25   Posted 18/08/2009 at 02:40:26

Maybe if we had got a good result we’ll still be applauding Moyes and EFC on showing class in handling the Lescott / Man Shitty case?

Now after a 1-6 drubbing Moyes is a cunt for not selling Lescott to Mark Hughes, who practically ridiculed and looked down on our club the whole summer. If Lescott is so good why isn’t there another club coming in for him?

Fucking hell, it’s a bad result but losing to Blackburn and Portsmouth was far worse.

The problem is the players that weren’t running and chasing and weren’t being pursued by Man Shitty.
Paul Joy
26   Posted 18/08/2009 at 09:11:13

Jason, Losing to Blackburn and Portsmouth was far worse? — you are having a laugh mate. Those performances though poor were nothing compared to Saturday's ineptitude.
Ciarán McGlone
27   Posted 18/08/2009 at 09:16:02

Jason, How exactly has Mark Hughes ’ridiculed our club’ all summer... I haven’t seen (yes, I’ve watched the intereviews rather than read the misrepresentations in the press) him say one disrespectful thing all summer....

Please enlighten me.
Ciarán McGlone
28   Posted 18/08/2009 at 10:20:52

Adrian Seal, Would it be too much for me to expect you to respond to the content of my post? What exactly was it that you disliked?

Or is lying about me highlighting spelling mistakes (which I’ve never done) — the extent of your wit?
Phil Martin
29   Posted 18/08/2009 at 11:22:18

Alan Noon,

Agreed that some owners have dubious ethics (Thaskin, Abramovitch) but others are fine. The City Arabs seem like ethical owners. Mike Ashley is a top businessman who just stopped acting like a businessman with NUFC. He bowed to the "Geordie faithful" and sacked Allardyce and employed a bunch of muppets. But as for ethics he wanted the best to NUFC. Would he intend to lose £150M of his own money?

Regarding Moyes and Naughton. I don't believe (and i could be wrong) that Managers have any dealings with transfer fees/ wages negotiations.

AFAIK they inform the CEO + Chairman of their targets and (providing they approve) — they do all the work from that point. If we can't offer an attractive financial package to a selling club or potential signing then that has nothing to do with Moyes. Sheff Utd agreed verbally with us to sell Naughton for £5M but who knows how that deal would’ve been structured (installments etc). They then got a better deal from Spurs and rejected our bid. Not Moyes’s fault that I’m afraid!
Hypothetically — if we agree to sell Lecott to City for £20M plus a player, but then Real Madrid came and offered £30M straight cash — what would you expect EFC to do? And would that then be Mark Hughes’s fault that we agree to deal with Real and not City?

By most accounts Moyes has had targets identified all the way through the last two summers. One by one, we miss the boat, or simply negotiate a deal to death. That is what our board massively fail on every single time.

Phil Martin
30   Posted 18/08/2009 at 11:35:59

PS. Randy Lerner and the new Sunderland owner are other examples of "good" chairman.
Chris Halliday
31   Posted 18/08/2009 at 12:47:16

I think most fans are looking ahead to the future and do not think it is looking bright espically as the future looks like Kirby to watch our football.

We have taken advantage in the last 3 years in that newcastle, spurs, leeds, all the big traditional clubshave not been at the races, but with man c and spurs, villa getting there act together this will put us under pressure.

The club has gambled all their future buisness plans into Kirby which potentially could mean we are skint for another 10 years while this is paid for. It is a shame because we were in a position of strength this year and yes I do expect an avergae season this year, and more players like Arteta moving on ,unless the players can see progress.

In football you have no keep progressing otherwise you go back and that is where I think we will be come the end of the season and I don’t think Moyes will want another rebuilding job if it goes wrong. Wembley might just have been as far as he can take us.

Richard Dodd
32   Posted 18/08/2009 at 13:28:21

Chris Matheson is certainly right in his assertion that Chairman Bill has never been interested in selling his stake merely to turn a profit. His motivation has always been to attract INVESTORS to the Club in order to put it in a good competitive position.

I do know he has had plenty of enquiries from persons wishing to buy into Everton but has always insisted that they provide proof of their ability to INVEST in the organisation — something which he struggles to do. By repelling these interlopers, he has almost certainly saved us from the fate of so many clubs who have fallen into the wrong hands and eventually gone down the pan.

All this is why the fate of the DK project is so vital. If and when planning permission is granted, I have every reason to believe that Bill will be happy to relinquish up to half his holding to people of considerable means who, understandably, wish to see a new stadium on the way before pledging funds to develop the club.

Those supporters who scream so loudly for Bill to just sell out to anyone are either financially ignorant or care little for the future of Everton FC.

Phil Martin
33   Posted 18/08/2009 at 14:11:43

Richard Dodd,

You think Kirkby makes us an attractive proposition. Given that is WILL be basic quality and costing at least £80M?

You think these "interlopers" would run Everton any worse than our current board? Newcastle aside which other big clubs have "gone down the pan" following big investment?

Why is our current board fit to judge other potential buyers/ investors when they are holding the club to ransom - by not investing more themselves until DK is sorted out?
When our board sign an exclusivity agreement with Tesco to not assess or discuss other ground development alternatives. Is this done in the best interests of us and Everton FC?

You think having no money to spend year after year, and banking our future on an out of town retail site is the way to go?

It’s you sir who is financially ignorant and care little for the future.
Ciarán McGlone
34   Posted 18/08/2009 at 14:50:50

"Always insisted that they provide proof of their ability to INVEST in the organisation — something which he struggles to do. By repelling these interlopers, he has almost certainly saved us from the fate of so many clubs who have fallen into the wrong hands and eventually gone down the pan."

--------------------------------

My god, the ultimate irony... it’s a pity someone didn’t demand that Bill Kenwright provide evidence of his ability to invest in the organisation... Might have saved us 8 years of bollocks.
Rupert Sullivan
35   Posted 18/08/2009 at 15:48:31

Richard Dodd — do you honestly believe that Kirkby will make Everton a financially viable club?

Assuming it does, why would Kenwright want to give up half of his shares in a financially viable club..!!??? If you were making a mint out of a company, would you sell your shares...?
Alan Noon
36   Posted 18/08/2009 at 16:27:48

Phil Martin, I understand your frustrations about getting tonked 1-6 but asking for a sugar daddy ain’t the answer; or, if it is, then we simply become a Man City (not a bad option maybe but take a look what the financial crisis has done to the economy - not a lot of excess money out there).

It’s not the board which is screwed, it’s how footie is run in England. The FA couldn’t give a hoot who is running a club as long as the money keeps coming in (Thaksin is the case in point, the FA did bugger all intervention on his takeover).

I would put Everton in the same category as Villa in terms of what and how we do business. Villa, haven’t spent big this seaon or last and, the money they have spent was gotten from the Barry sale — who got Delph from Leeds? Was this BK fault or did Moyes once again dither.... (or maybe he just wasn’t suitable only time will tell). Until football can be regulated i.e. that clubs should only have a certain amount of debt then we will continue to get a bollock of a situation.

As for Sunderland, it’s a yoyo club and always has been, in saying that Bruce has made two good purchases with Bent and Cattermole, I am sure Moyes had enough funds to by the latter and bolster the midfield but....... dithering Dave didn’t. Let’s see what comes out of the next 24 hours, he told us that two signings are likely — let’s hope it’s someone good.

Phil Martin
37   Posted 18/08/2009 at 16:47:51

Alan Noon,

I have to disagree with your reply;

"I understand your frustrations about getting tonked 1-6 but asking for a sugar daddy ain’t the answer or, if it is then we simply become a Man City."

I didn't ask for a sugar daddy. I simple asked for a Board which can service this club in the manner its history and size demand. No Billionaire or half-billionaires required!

"Villa, haven’t spent big this season or last and, the money they have spent was gotten from the Barry sale — who got Delph from Leeds?"

This summer so far Villa bought Downing for £10M, Delph for £5M plus Beye for £3m — that's nearly £20M more spent than us so far. Last season they bought Cuellar for £10M, Milner for £10M, Davies £10M, Heskey £6M, Shorey £5M — off the top of my head that's £41M. So again you’re wrong to compare us to Villa.

"Bruce has made two good purchases with Bent and Cattermole, I am sure Moyes had enough funds to by the latter and bolster the midfield but....... dithering Dave didn’t."

How do you know Moyes had any funds? That fact we couldn't even afford Naughton would suggest we didn't have the cash to afford Bent or Cattermole. "Dithering Dave" didnt even get a sniff of those.

"Let’s see what comes out of the next 24 hours, he told us that two signings are likely, let’s hope it’s someone good."

Indeed fingers crossed. But is there any coincidence that these players are signed after the overdraft is secured with new TV money? Which in my opinion is two months too late. Moyes should've had some cash in June!
Dennis Stevens
38   Posted 18/08/2009 at 17:04:11

Richard Dodd — why would any new owner want to pay for the club, and the cost of the new stadium, and a huge profit for the current board? Surely it would make more sense to buy the club now at a more realistic price & spend that money as they saw fit to develop the club. Why would they want to pay over the odds for somebody else's mistakes?
Ciarán McGlone
39   Posted 18/08/2009 at 17:07:38

’Villa haven’t spent big this season or last’
--------------------------------
They spent £50 mill last year... and have spent £20 mill already this year... and apparently aren’t finished yet.

They realise they have holes... and they do something about it.
Mike Homfray
40   Posted 18/08/2009 at 17:56:35

Who exactly are all these buyers showing interest?

I think that the real problem is the albatross that is Goodison Park. No buyer will want to take that on board. They won’t be interested in history and sentiment.
Kevy Quinn
41   Posted 18/08/2009 at 18:35:56

Ciaran, ’’Villa realise they have holes and do something about it’’ — Villa have a billionaire; we don't!
Chad Schofield
42   Posted 18/08/2009 at 19:20:19

Kevy, but according to Kenwright’s internet right-hand mouse, Dicky Dodd, it’s actually Bill himself who is stopping "plenty of enquiries from persons wishing to buy into Everton".

So it’s not invstment the board and Kenwight are looking for as they stated that they’re not looking to dillute, it’s not a buyer according to Dodd... so BK’s shaking people down to GIVE money?
Phil Bellis
43   Posted 19/08/2009 at 00:31:54

Richard Dodd ....Kenwright’s tart and a total myopic buffoon (or a club plant?)
Richard Jones
44   Posted 19/08/2009 at 04:18:57

A rather bad club plant.
Jason Lam
45   Posted 19/08/2009 at 04:50:51

Paul Joy - (performance aside) we should not be losing points to Portsmouth and Blackburn. The result is we lost 3 points to a top 4 side last Saturday.

Ciarán McGlone - example: "when a BIG club comes in for your better players"?
Ciarán McGlone
46   Posted 19/08/2009 at 09:40:39

Jason,

That’s not what he said - away and watch the intereview, instead of reading shíte papers. The word ’big’ is never used!

And even if he had said that, it hardly constitutes an entire summer of ridicule!
Jason Lam
47   Posted 19/08/2009 at 10:18:20

Cheers Ciaran, must be inferiority complex on my behalf then.
Ciarán McGlone
48   Posted 19/08/2009 at 14:28:19

I think there’s a tendency towards this sort of scaremongering in our current situation Jason... we become complacent and treat opinion as fact... and even tend to get sucked in by the papers.

To be honest, I'm probably in a tiny minority who don’t think Hughes has done much wrong... And if we actually study the facts of what he’s said, it becomes clear that we’re seeing ghosts where there are none.

Robert Daniels
49   Posted 19/08/2009 at 18:46:29

Phil, I fully agree with your comments regarding a new board at our "small club". During the custodianship of Billy Liar... oops sorry...Blue Bill... oops sorry Agent Kenwright, he has turned Everton into the small club that we now get refered to in the media. Ten years ago, no one thought of us as that, sleeping giant maybe, but not small!

He has divided an conquered Evertonians on the DK issue. Unforgivable. He wants us to go to a retail park in Kirkby (The Greenshield Stamp Stadium). He calls himself the custodian of our beloved club, a bit like putting a fox in charge of the henhouse. His tenure will be remembered as the one that swapped Goodison for a cowshed in Kirkby, and for turning us into a second rate club. He has successfully lowered evertonians expectations of what constitutes success, i.e. FA Cup runners up, 5th place, Europe, top ten finish, 40 points etc.

We are Everton, fourth most successful club in English football, with a list of firsts longer than Agent Kenwright's pinochio nose! We would’nt have accepted this ten years ago, so why now?
Divide and conquer
Fans are supposidly split on the cow shed. Fans don’t know if it is Blue Bill or Billy Liar. Fans don’t know if Moyes is a lap dog or a great manager. By splitting the fans, by silencing the small share holders, he has kept his vice like grip on this club, and still we do nothing.

Has any chairman or manager, after this length of time without success, been able to stay in their respective jobs? Would that be the case at any of the so called top four, or the next best club, Spurs, Villa or City? Doubt it!
Remember this... Evil prospers while good men sit on their hands...
Blue Bill, Billy Liar, Don’t think so.
Agent Kenwright... Mission Accomplished.

Darren Dempsey
50   Posted 19/08/2009 at 23:52:04

Dick Dodd are you on Kenwright's payroll? Are you the one with the job of finding a buyer for our club?

Kenwright and the rest of the board need to go, they are turning our club a laughing stock! By the way Learner wanted to buy Everton but was turned down by Bumbling Bill so the rumour goes! SACK THE BOARD, SACK THE BOARD, SACK THE BOARD! COYB

Hakan Torlen
51   Posted 20/08/2009 at 08:46:09

Everton under DM has been a revelation compared to how the club was run between 1988 and 2002. We're still living with the debts from this period (the transfer dealings were horrible) and while we have had no billionaire's money and I believe never will, we have to be doing our business as we're doing right now.

That means buy players on deadline day when the price will be more reasonable and other teams already are finished with their buyings. Then we can take the Lescott money, and it has to be a real overprice because Wolves are due 15%.

Arsene Wenger is a genius. He inherited a very good squad but has built from that. He's built foundations for Arsenal to be a great club for ever, he mostly buys young cheap players and sells them expensive, the profits funding the top modern Emirates Stadium they've built (a modern arena is everything today). You have to think long term and that is exactly what DM is doing.

I don't complain, I've realised that the club's being run extraordinarily well!! It's not just about the players on the pitch, you have to look further than that.....

Rick Tarleton
52   Posted 20/08/2009 at 07:33:18

In September 2004, I wrote an article 'Our True Blue Chairman' about Mr Kenwright and I re-read it recently as so much of the mailbag is about Bill. Not a lot has changed , except that a few more Evertonians are seeing the scales drop from their eyes.
Alex Mullan
53   Posted 20/08/2009 at 21:37:46

4-0 up atm in Europe,flair midfielder Ever Banega hearing tommorrow, in taks with S.Taylor, on the verge of signing Bystrov 8mill. I am sure more to come. I hope some of the negative stuff begins to at least give way to SOME positivity, go on I dare ya!

I for one think we are a fantastically run club but thats my opinion.
Richard Jones
54   Posted 22/08/2009 at 09:17:20

Yep happy about the win. But off the field we’re a financial basket-case, we’re being forced/conned into moving to Kirkby, forced into selling our best players to survive, split fan-base. I’m sorry you have to look at the bigger picture.

I think we’re a shockingly badly run club, Moyes is doing an incredible job in spite of this.
Phil Martin
55   Posted 24/08/2009 at 12:42:44

Alex Mullan, "I for one think we are a fantastically run club but thats my opinion."

Please don't be so daft. We live within our meagre budget. Yes, that's one thing but why do we have such a meagre level of finance compared with Spurs, Villa Bolton, Stoke? They have all outspent and/or bidded £10M + for players this summer. We have nothing... don't confuse "living within our means" with "coping with financial/commerical negligence".