NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Sentiment and Deception

By David O'Keefe :  23/08/2009 :  Comments (19) :

How does he get away with it? How come he has managed to pull the wool over the eyes of so many people for such a long time? Is it him, or is it us? Or maybe its a little bit of each.

It has taken nine years for the penny to collectively drop. We are going nowhere with Bill, except Kirkby... but even that's up in the air. No money. No ideas, except Kirkby. No solution to the stadium problem. In short, a failure to organise the club.

Back to my question.... How did he get away with it?..... for nine years??? To answer the above we have to look at the (lame) defences that are wheeled out in defence of Bill Kenwright and by extension the Everton Board of Directors.

1. He's not Peter Johnson.

Let's take a closer look at the reasons why Peter Johnson became so unpopular. The breaking point came when in the summer after Joe Royle's departure, he made a promise that came back to haunt him, "You will be pleasantly surprised" as he promised a top-class managerial appointment, but in the end settled for Howard Kendall... again.

He also ran into money troubles thanks in part to the failure of DJ Spuddles and the losses on his stock portfolio. So PJ ran out of money to invest in the club and made promises that he failed to keep. When he was putting money in the club, everything was fine and dandy; when the money ran out and the top class manager failed to materialise, his season ticket for the kop suddenly became an issue and every one — myself included — wanted him out.

2. He appointed David Moyes and stood by him.

Interesting one this, the marriage of Bill and Dave... I wonder who wears the trousers? Let's not kid ourselves — it's not a happy marriage, as love always goes out the window when there is no money.

The total net spend per season during Moyes's tenure is £3.5 million... miserly doesn't even begin to describe it; as the club has to sell to buy and only buys when the Sky giro is in the bank. If giving your manager a miserly transfer budget and no money to spend for most of the summer, despite having the smallest squad in the Premier League, is standing by him; then you must be demented.

3. At least he's a Blue

See point one. Bill knows which tune to play whenever he comes under pressure; or when the media come calling. Playing to the gallery on this one, he does this well, pity about everything else.

Prior to Kirkby and the previous three summers, this had gone down well as supporters are suspicious of foreign owners, and Liverpool season ticket holders getting hold of the club; it plays to everyone's conservative inclinations.

Worried about the changes in the football world that are leaving us behind?Don't worry, Bill has another tale from the Boys Pen to ease your anxieties. Bill knows his audience very well, it appears......

Or does he?

The last point has been played to the hilt and nobody is listening anymore. The world's moved on and we are being left behind, there is no money or solution to the club's ills coming from Bill and the Board — apart from Kirkby. This has for many been the straw that broke the camel's back. The absence of a transfer budget for the third year in a row is also proving a tipping point for the fans; discontent is rife, but unfocused.

He has been taking us for mugs, using deception and playing on sentiment to disguise the fact that he has always lacked a plan for the club. Perhaps that's been his greatest strength — don't promise anything, spin a nice yarn about being a blue and they will accept anything.

Only one problem with that — he did make promises and he broke them. We didn't take it from a Liverpool season ticket holder... we shouldn't take it from a Blue.

Everton Football Club is failing. We need change... as much as we fear change, sticking with Bill and the current board is no longer an option.

Reader Comments

Derek Thomas
1   Posted 24/08/2009 at 06:39:33

Norman Stanley Kenwright, this Court finds you GUILTY of all charges.......Clang.
Nik Ramsden
2   Posted 23/08/2009 at 19:33:20

The OS have confirmed a fee has been agreed and Lescott is going. This is obviously no surprise but I did have to laugh at one of the comments in the article:

"Everton has agreed an undisclosed fee with Manchester City for the transfer of defender Joleon Lescott. Chairman Bill Kenwright has worked tirelessly to get the best deal for Everton, achieving a substantial increase on Manchester City's initial offer."

I appreciate this may open the floodgates for anyone wishing to do some BK bashing, and although I haven't posted much on this site until recently, I have always tried to be positive and fully expect us to contiinue the success of recent seasons — god knows we have some rough times so bring on the good times right? However, having spent the last half hour reading about the Banega fiasco, Elm going elsewhere, etc... I feel as depressed as I have in a very long time.

Just about to watch the highlights on MotD2 and don't expect to see anything to raise my spirits. Is this really the time for me to give up my positivity or can someone give me a reason to remain optimistic?

Mike Fisher
3   Posted 24/08/2009 at 07:35:56

Two defeats, the Lescott issue, and seemingly ineffective transfer activity and once more everyone wants to sack the board. I can’t say I am happy with the current situation, but nor am I aware of billionaires queing up to buy the club or an invester with a £50m to support the board today. The world has changed and football clubs are the expensive poisoned chalice of those who care or the hobby of billionaires who don’t!

Everton are the former, maybe now not through choice, but no choice! However, BK should not be castigated for not having deeper pockets. We are what we are. Could Everton do better? I think they could off the field, but I am as much in the dark as those who think the answers are as clear as day. It will get better because right now it can’t get much worse.

Kirk McArdle
4   Posted 24/08/2009 at 07:40:42

I think most people who read this site and certainly almost all posters agree that Blue Bill has taken us as far as he can. If you cannot fund a football club in this day and age you have no place to be an owner of one. And that statement applies from the Premier League right down to non-league clubs. But....

1. Who wants us to be the next Chelsea or Man City? Clubs that get whatever they want because of the money they have and gain no respect on their way.
2. Who wants to find a rich English benefactor? I give you the flourishing case that is Mike Ashley, his cockney mafia and Newcastle.
3. Stick with Blue Bill who has no intention of selling his stake and stagnate where we are now.

Now I want a club that is respected in the way it conducts itself. Not just respect from opposing clubs but from other fans as well. I want a board that backs their manager with adequate funds to keep the club progressing. I want a stadium that will give the generations after ours something to be proud of. I want my club Everton FC to represent exactly what our motto stands for.

I have no answers for any of my points but something will have to give. I can’t believe I am about to type this but.....
Maybe a relegation battle this year (but staying up!!!) would be in the club's best interests. Whilst this would be a step backwards it would highlight the fact that board to players we have been punching above our station for a while.

Best of the rest? Not when the rest have more money to spend and better stadiums to watch football in.

Richard Jones
5   Posted 24/08/2009 at 08:14:09

I think the reason you’re in the dark Mike is like many on here your head's in the sand.

Surely people can see through all this, now Lescott has been sold for an UNDISCLOSED FEE. Well, well I thought they would have done it the other way round and hid what they were spending, with undiclosed’s and Euro 'buy now, pay later' deals, now we don't know what they’ve had. I wonder though have City reduced their offer while Everton have been playing politics with everybody because one things for sure — EVERTON WERE ALWAYS SELLING.
Ciarán McGlone
6   Posted 24/08/2009 at 08:51:48

The man has managed to con some intelligent people......some credit where credit is due...

No doubt you’ll still have people defending his shoddy regime...
Neil Pearse
7   Posted 24/08/2009 at 09:30:04

Rare as it is Richard, I actually agree with you on your last point. Once it became clear that City were offering silly money for Lescott, the game was how much we could make them pay. The indications are that we did pretty well. Anything over £20M is pretty good for a player who may not even go to the World Cup next year.

Whether Moyes wanted to sell is hard to tell. His little outburst about "I make the decisions around here" suggests that he didn’t and that there was a difference between him and others at the club.

The next week will be very interesting for we will find out pretty definitively how skint we really are right now. For all the babbling about lateness, we have known Lescott was going for some time, have pretty much known the fee, and actually have a full week now to do some deals. Plenty of time actually.

I won’t speculate because nothing would surprise me - either another biggish buy or a couple of tiddlers. But at least in a week’s time we can have a pretty good idea where we currently stand.

That we couldn’t hang on to Lescott is not that significant in my opinion. A bunch of nutcases were offering silly money both to us and to him. The question is whether Moyes can now spend any of the money.
Paul Saleh
8   Posted 24/08/2009 at 10:09:38

Kenwright and the board will dig in until DK is decided; he hasn't been in the press all summer as he knows he’s left us in shit street with no money again. He wants his big profit and then he can go and only then we will be able to build again.

I just wish someone reading these articles would see how pissed off Evertonians are with their board and help us. Nothing will change until the board is replaced and I hope the fans let Kenwright know at the Wigan game what a cunt he is for shafting Everton Football Club.

Simon Dunne
9   Posted 24/08/2009 at 10:24:35

Someone get a petition going there lads. Has this been done? Must be a few thousand posters on here that are up fot it!

Micheal, Lyndon?
Robert Treacy
10   Posted 24/08/2009 at 11:19:12

Jesus... I hope that DK isn't the nail in his coffin. If we move there, the club will be a circus, not a football team.
John Griffiths
11   Posted 24/08/2009 at 12:49:26

The silence from BK is deafening. Not like during May when he was hardly off the radion and tv. EFC PR is the worst ever. Tell us what's going on. The Benaga affair is just a joke!! Why not apply for a permit for Lionel Messi??? It will put us in the headlines for a day or two. Does it matter that we will not have spoken to him or Barcelona??
Andy Peers
12   Posted 24/08/2009 at 15:07:15

As harsh as it sounds, instead of a petition, as Simon suggests, no Everton fan should show up for the Wigan game. This would send a strong statement to the club and demonstrate our discontent. I have been a supporter of Everton for 45 years and I don't remember being this disgruntled with my team, management and owners.
Andy Crooks
13   Posted 24/08/2009 at 15:23:32

Simon, I like your idea of a petition. To those who feel that it would have no effect, I would suggest the following: Bill Kenwright is such a luvvy that any clear indication that many Evertonians distrust him will cut him to the bone.
Steve Edwards
14   Posted 24/08/2009 at 16:47:59

Sounds like we’re all pretty pissed off chaps. I must be honest this Benaga affair simple takes the biscuit for me. It just about sums the lot up, what the fucking hell has been going on there! I simply don’t believe that this would happen to any other football club but Everton. I don’t know about following a football club but it's like being in a lunatic asylum with the lunies in charge.
David O'Keefe
15   Posted 24/08/2009 at 18:17:11

Kirk, if you want the club to represent its motto, we have to ditch Bill and the Board. Forgetting about the harm that a new owner may do, the current Board have effectively run the club into the ground. If it's not working, change it.
Chris Halliday
16   Posted 24/08/2009 at 18:21:15

What’s the difference between our board and LFC, who come in for continual stick from their fans?

To me both are the same, both useless as both boards have put the club in millions of debt without putting in money themselves, and they do not want to be taken over unless they get megabucks; they both fail to back their manager with money unless players are sold first.

Both can’t deliver a ground while being left behind by the likes of Coventry and Cardiff in that department. I know we have Kirkby on the horizon but it has already been debated how shambolic and desperate that project is and will no doubt continue to be, so why is it that we don’t protest about our board?

Probably because we’re happy to be second best, which sums Everton up perfectly at the moment, so I don’t blame Lescott for wanting to get some glory while he can, because under Kenwright and Co, we will never challange.
Neil Vaughan
17   Posted 24/08/2009 at 18:56:02

I see The Yak is playing for the stiffs tomorrow... that’ll be the new signing we’ve all been waiting for — that’s how they’ll try and spin it anyway...!!

Kenwright and his cronies are a JOKE....!!
Kevy Quinn
18   Posted 24/08/2009 at 19:07:35

People have been Kenwright-bashing all summer and before that. Its ok coming onto to ToffeeWeb etc and saying how shite of a chairman he is. Do something about it then if yous feel that strongly over the whole thing. My only main problem with him is Kirkby.
Dave Wilson
19   Posted 24/08/2009 at 21:51:58

And then one day you find.
Ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run.
You’ve missed the starting gun.