NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

The Everton Programme

By Barry Spencer :  28/08/2009 :  Comments (6) :
Sent this to the programme publishers (and Everton) today: I realise there are far more important issues than The Everton Programme but I do think it sad that a once decent publication has become like a throwaway glossy ad-filled magazine this season.

COYB

Hello

I have been a regular subscriber and collector of the matchday magazine since the 1970s but I am writing to you now asking if I can cancel my subscription to the programme and obtain a partial refund on the amount I paid.

I’m afraid that in all the years I have read the programme, this is the poorest the magazine has ever been.

Yes, it has a large page count but a significant amount of these pages are adverts, filler articles with little or no relevance to Everton, and the magazine has the whole air of articles being “stretched” to cover as many pages as possible — do we really need a players name emblazoned across two pages to introduce an article? Or full-page pictures of people like Ray Stubbs and Meryl Streep?

There are some good articles namely the feature on Everton players who have played for England, the Joe Royle story and the managers and captains columns but that’s about it.

What have a film on Zinedane Zidane, the 1971 Cup Final, Sir Bobby Robson (whose obituaries have been covered extensively elsewhere), features on places in Europe where an Everton player was born, really got to do with Everton? — I suspect a few of these articles are revised versions of those used in the publications of other clubs.

I would prefer the old style version with less pages — at least there was more to read in them about Everton.

I’m not sure if it’s because you have less access to Everton material or your writers have less interest in Everton but it doesn’t really seem like an Everton publication any more — much more like the glossy magazines full of filler articles and adverts that you get on trains and planes.

I will be circulating this to other Everton Supporters groups to get their opinion — I just want a programme worthy of our club and its history and tradition.

That used to be the case — the programme won awards — but all the material in those days was Everton related.

Please let me know if I can cancel and obtain a refund.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Yours Sincerely

Barry Spencer

Reader Comments

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1   Posted 29/08/2009 at 17:45:07

Such a pity... I gave up with it a few seasons ago when they stopped providing useful into and stats for the reserves and academy teams.
Aodhan O'Faolain
2   Posted 29/08/2009 at 18:17:19

I still collect programmes. However I few years ago I canceled my subscription because they became poor and some did not arrive at all. For some reason the club could not print the correct spelling of my name on the envelope.

The progs are glossy rubbish with syndicated garbage with as loose a connection with Everton as possible.

It is a cost saving exercise used by companies who do publications on a contract basis as cheaply as possible. Bottom line stuff, and the club knows it can get away with a shabby item due to fans loyalty and tradition of buying programmes.

Sadly I reckon only a complete boycott by fans would bring any change.
Karl Masters
3   Posted 29/08/2009 at 18:20:08

Hello Barry.

Long time, no speak :)

You are so right. I was thinking the same thing myself. Only word of caution would be that it’s early days and maybe there will be more Everton stuff to work with as the season warms up.

However, I do agree and I think it’s because we have moved from a local production base at the Daily Post’s offices in Liverpool, where even Club employees like Darren Griffiths regularly contibuted, to Cre8ing in Hertfordshire, who also do West Ham’s and Spurs’ programmes. The Robson article probably appeared in those publications too.

Actually, picking up on Michael’s point, the stats section is much better now, although they still don’t show Premier League average attendances, which I always found interesting in the past when they were shown.

One final thing: It used to arrive on the day of the match and never more than a day late, unless posties at Copperas Hill were playing up again, but I’ve had 3 turn up now (Malaga, Arsenal and Sigma) and they were all about 4 days late. That really is rubbish service!!! Are you listening, Elstone?
Derek Thomas
4   Posted 30/08/2009 at 06:28:47

Shock horror!!! The Club skimping on a basic service to us the fan, Out sourcing and reducing to the LCD.

It starts at the top ...The Team, The Hoofball, The Ground, The pies, The beer, the tickets, the programs etc etc

SACK THE BOARD

KENWRIGHT OUT... all together now, kenwright kenwright kenwright OUT OUT OUT
Colin Potter
5   Posted 30/08/2009 at 18:10:40

I’d sue West Ham, if I were you Barry.
Mike Allison
6   Posted 30/08/2009 at 22:15:27

Unless they’ve acted immediately to change these things I couldn’t disagree more. The Everton programme is outstanding. I’ve been to the Wigan match today having read this article this morning so I made a point of getting the programme and checking it out. It's excellent, loads of content, academy and reserve stats etc. I honestly don’t see how it could be any better.