NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Losing pride in being a blue

By Jay Bloc :  18/10/2009 :  Comments (23) :
First all I, should apologies for the negativity of this article. But it is my opinion.

Is anyone else just not enjoying the match anymore? There is no buzz of excitment about going the game. The atmosphere at GP is the worst in the Prem.

I used to take pride in our fans but not any more. It's like a library and somthing that sticks in my mind is the fans that clapped Lescott at the Arsenal game. I mean, what a small-club mentality... the guy was sticking two fingers up at us. Paid millions to wear our clubs shirt but still wants to leave. But no, let's cheer him... "Please stay, Joleon."

Away games are no better. The majority are kids in black tracksuits where every other word is 'lad'.  The style of football we get doesn't help. Granted we miss Arteta, Pienaar, Jagielka, a fully fit Yak... But the basics of a good side just aren't there. Hoofball is all we play.

I don't totally blame Moyes for this, he has done a good job on a budget and can't acquire the players he really wants. However, I don't think he has bought the right  types players in the last couple of seasons, leaving us with an unbalanced squad. We have strength in depth in certain positions but we are very thin in others.

We have centre-backs in midfield and centre-midfielders out wide; not one genuine winger at the club... and we are very short on creative players.

I believe the ceiling we have reached which is 5th certainly doesn't help the atmosphere at Goodison. I feel we have midtable mediocrity to look forward to (at best). How long before Arteta leaves? Then we're right in the shit because there is no funds to replace such a player.

This is deffo my last season as a season-ticket holder.

Reader Comments

Chris Butler
1   Posted 18/10/2009 at 17:58:28

Well, mate, I agree Goodison is a library and I'm thinking of giving up as you cannot stand. The problem in the Lower Gwaldys is we should get a core 1,000 who want to create an atmosphere, stand etc.

You say about the away games and the lads in black but they are the ones that want to create atmosphere. Most young lads have given up going to Goodison as they can rarely stand and risk ejection. (For Sigma Olomouc, at least 12 were thrown out for standing).

I totally agree with you but, mate, some of the whoppers at Wembley... I'm not the most loyal fan although I'm going to Spurs next tuesday. But our away support are awful because we have too many elderly people and women unlike for example Liverpool and Man United's laddish away following.

I'm like you considering giving up next season with all the whoppers watching us who sit at away games — my own dad's guilty of that.

Derek Turnbull
2   Posted 18/10/2009 at 18:09:30

A petition has been set up to sort the atmosphere out. An approach to Everton is being organised, so just need to patient for now.

So it will be down to Everton if they value our support or not.

Considering that they do not even think we are worthy of having two End Stands completely to ourselves at Kirkby then they cannot value our support that highly can they?
Terry Downes
3   Posted 18/10/2009 at 11:14:59

I'm pissed off with this season already...

For two seasons now, we have not been prepared for the start of the season, amazingly, and Moyes seems to think it's okay to say the team are 6 weeks away from being ready!

Well, it's gone 6 weeks now and we're still looking as shit as we were on the first day. The last two home games have been a joke — one up front against Stoke was bad enough but the one up front and two defensive midfielders against Wolves is bordering on criminal.

Time for someone to sit Moyes down and explain in simple English, sort it out and let's start attacking teams — I would rather lose having a go than lose doing defending — or piss off before the season is ruined... if it isn't already.

Chris Butler
4   Posted 18/10/2009 at 18:36:53

I want to stand, I want to sing... but I could only get a season ticket in GT2. Could I possibly change it, Derek, because I have got tonnes of new songs, mate. I want to have a good time after a bad week; even at away games, we seem to be poor.

All the best to all Blues of the petition.

John Martin
5   Posted 18/10/2009 at 18:53:31

We were discussing this after the match in the pub. We no longer get excited about going because we know, even if we win against the likes of Wolves or a Blackburn, it won't be a good game. I even joked Ii go to the game just to be angry as it's so frustrating watching our hoofball.

We have the players to play decent football but we don't and that is down to one man: Moyes — he must take all the blame for our recent shambolic performances.

The team selection was a joke and it won't get much better soon... Away to Bolton then top 6 sides home or away means Moyes will be shitting himself and trying to get as many defenders on the pitch as possible.

Ray Robinson
6   Posted 18/10/2009 at 20:32:33

Turf Moor and the Britannia aside, which Premier League grounds are not like libraries these days? If you think our atmosphere is flat, listen to the other lot’s across the Park.

As for pride in my fellow Blues, it isn’t affected by certain of them clapping Lescott in the first match of the season. They had a take on things and I respect it.

Ask me if I’m proud of the fans after 5,000 return from Lisbon next week? Hopefully I will be.
Phil Bellis
7   Posted 19/10/2009 at 00:51:35

Besides the quality of football, my problem in away games is being addressed as 'mate"! ... Fuck off!
Dennis Stevens
8   Posted 19/10/2009 at 01:37:56

What would you prefer, Phil - "Darling"?
Keith Edmunds
9   Posted 19/10/2009 at 04:06:56

I’ve been living abroad too long. What's a whopper?
Anthony Newell
10   Posted 19/10/2009 at 08:06:21

Something you order with fries from Burger King.
Derek Turnbull
11   Posted 19/10/2009 at 08:51:05

Chris Butler - by all means try and move into GT4. It’s a lot more diluted for singers than it used to be so we need to try and get them back in there.

It is early days yet, but the club do need to get involved so once they are involved it may even end up different as to what is proposed. They may even decide to have it in a different place!

In the meantime, can I strongly advise that you contact Everton to request the removal of the corporate boxes and away fans from behind the goal at the proposed new stadium. Unless they’re removed then we will really struggle for atmosphere there. There’s simply nowhere for the singers to go in the current design.
Jay Bloc
12   Posted 19/10/2009 at 09:22:07

Ray, hopefully you are right mate. I leave for Lisbon tomorrow. Let’s hope the boys give us a better performance than Saturday.
Phil Bellis
13   Posted 19/10/2009 at 11:48:42

So, that was YOU Dennis?
I’ll get me coat
Nick Entwistle
14   Posted 19/10/2009 at 11:53:17

It was crap against Wolves but of course one result means everything is bad at Everton.

7 games undefeated, and we do have a balanced squad and the most comprehensive since Moyes took charge. No out and out wingers, but then they’re not encouraged in youth development. How many are there out there? Not many. And how expensive would they be if they’re at the same level of the players we have already?
Stuart Hughes
15   Posted 19/10/2009 at 12:11:19

To be honest with you all, I agree that Goodison has been a quiet. But what is the point in moaning about it on here when you can get down to the game home or away and sing your hearts out?

I have attended every single away game so far this season and I don't know what you're talking about, Chris, about the majority of support away from home is lads in trackies — that's crap. Do you actually go the games?

Yes, there are fans who are younger — what's wrong with that? They're getting behind the team... what you should be doing! Also, I think you're daft about giving up on your season ticket, what will that solve? Nothing! You will still be passionate about Everton!

I'll be there at Bolton and at Spurs next week, it will be a sell-out like usual and I think, Chris, you need to get behind the team because you're going to make matters worse.

Duncan McDine
16   Posted 19/10/2009 at 12:14:57

I like the idea of the standing & singing section... but actually it will restrict the view of people in the rest of the Lower Gwladys. If I’m sitting to the side of the standing crowd, and the ball is over the other side (for a corner etc) then I won’t be able to see a thing. I’ll then stand up, as will the people who’s view I’m now blocking, etc etc.

Having said this, I honestly hope that a standing section is brought back into football grounds... and if we do end up moving to Kirkby, it’d be about the only hope of the new stadium possessing any kind of atmosphere.
Steve Guy
17   Posted 19/10/2009 at 12:38:58

It is quiet at times and I sit quite near to the away supporters, which exaggerates the effect.

Interesting though that Bily is in the Echo today saying that it was the noise from the stands which drove them on in the last 15 minutes on Saturday...
Ian Ankers
18   Posted 19/10/2009 at 12:47:07

I have to say I agree with every word of this article. I’m a season ticket holder and I’m constantly asking myself "Why on earth would you pay £30 a time to come and watch this lot?"

I have to go, I bought my season ticket in the summer when we all still had the blind optimism, but if I didn’t have a season ticket, I certainly wouldn’t be paying week by week to watch this. I’d rather be at work!

Peter McHugh
19   Posted 19/10/2009 at 13:10:33

I have a season ticket and am getting fed up — sick of the board not investing and taking our support for granted. I will keep going tho... the alternative is at home with the mrs... or worse still — shopping!
Tony Williams
20   Posted 19/10/2009 at 13:17:54

I am getting fed up with football in general. I too am not filled with the sense of excitement I used to have going the game.

I thought about not getting my season ticket this season but the day they came up for renewal I was there booking it.

I am sick about the money ruining the game and teams trying to buy the league; however, no matter how much I get disillusioned, I still end up getting my season ticket.

One lad on another forum said we are quiet because we are the more intelligent fans and like to study the game... complete bollocks but a nice lie to go with.
Jay Bloc
21   Posted 19/10/2009 at 13:17:29

To say there isn’t wingers around isn’t true. Other clubs have them: Villa have three in Milner, Young and Downing, there’s Lennon, Bentley, Walcott, N'Zogbia, Wright-Phillips, Petrov... I could go on.

It's a matter of opinion if any if these would fit into or improve our team, or if we could pay their wages to attract them, but I am just making a point that these types of players do exist and are being found by other clubs

Derek Turnbull
22   Posted 19/10/2009 at 14:59:17

Duncan McDine, any standing area would be slightly pyriamadic in shape (rhombus?), so that would take care of the view on those on the side of the standing area.

A standing area is a shortcut to getting an atmosphere, if a stadium is incapable of having a standing area then it will certainly struggle to have an atmosphere without one.

Unfortunately, Kirkby does not have anywhere for a standing area to go. Upper out for safety reasons, and the lower tiers will have corporates on the last couple of rows who I’m sure won’t be happy with fans standing in front of them. So unless we get Everton to remove the corporate boxes we are screwed for atmosphere at Kirkby.
Chris Jones
23   Posted 19/10/2009 at 22:22:22

Atmosphere has been shite lately... mainly due to the inconsistent performances and the ’flat’ summer we went to. I’d be up for a standing section... at Goodison.

Just to redress the balance a bit the Wembley semi-final atmosphere was amazing - we can turn it on when we’re inspired. So come on boys inspire us!