NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Let us pray...

By Dan Kemp :  25/11/2009 :  Comments (6) :

Our father in heaven, Blessed is your name.

Your kingdom come, Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

• I pray that our injured players will be healed – Jagielka, Arteta, Neville, Osman, Pienaar, Anichebe – please help them to recover quickly and fully. • Please help us to find a resolution to our stadium issue. I pray that a decision will be made soon and you will bless us in our new home, or where we remain. • I pray we will always be wise with what you have given us – I trust that we will always have enough money in the bank. • I pray you find the investor that Bill Kenwright is looking for. • I pray you inspire David Moyes, give him renewed belief and confidence.

And forgive us our sins,

• Sorry that we are often so negative about our team, our manager, our chairman. It’s just because we care. Help us to speak encouraging words to them and each other, to build ourselves up rather than put each other down. • Sorry about the times when we have placed too much priority on football alone. There is more to life than this. Thank you for providing us with family, friends, health and life.

As we forgive those who sin against us.

• We forgive those players who underperform – especially Osman and Hibbert. Give us grace to overlook their faults and admire their qualities. • We forgive Bill Kenwright. He is a man just like us. Out of his depth, maybe, but trying to do the best for the club he loves. • We forgive David Moyes. He has done so much good for this club, help us to remember that. Help us to encourage him now, when he needs it most. • We forgive the media. They are naive and foolish, yes, but help us not to care when we are overlooked, shunned and ridiculed. They do not know Everton like we do. • We forgive those players who’ve deserted us. Wayne Rooney, Joleon Lescott, Nick Barmby, Gary Speed, Don Hutchison to name a few. There are always other factors involved. Please bless those who have moved on and may we have grace towards them whenever they visit Goodison.

Lead us not into temptation...

• Help us to stay strong and united as supporters, and not to turn on each other. • Help us to resist envious glances across the park, or anywhere else where the grass can seem greener. • Let us not lose faith.

But deliver us from evil.

• We have faith that there will come a day when we will achieve our potential, our ambition, and deliver exciting, winning football week in, week out. • We believe a time will come when the days of darkness will be firmly behind us!

For yours is the kingdom, the power and glory, for ever and ever.

Can I hear an amen?

Reader Comments

Bryan Douglas
1   Posted 25/11/2009 at 20:07:42

oh dear

Dan, I think you’d better call your doctor, this sounds seriously delusional and you may need some serious treatment

either that or you are some sort of religious nutter

Jay Woods
2   Posted 25/11/2009 at 22:37:12

Dan Kemp: Take your Vicar of Dibley style blasphemy and shove it. There’s no need for it, or "Holy Trinity" or "Moyesiah" references either. No wonder this club seems cursed these days.
Dave Charles
3   Posted 25/11/2009 at 23:36:21

Dan. Surely football tactics and one or two players with pace would have been easier to ask for.
Andy McNabb
4   Posted 26/11/2009 at 03:52:40

Interesting comment, Jay. I’ve posted one or two like it myself over the years.
Is it my imagination, or did the career of a certain Mr Fowler (currently plying his trade over here in Oz in the comparatively 3rd Division standard of the A League) seem to lose form soon after the Kop started referring to him as ’God’?
Just a thought.
Maybe any one who would like to refer to people as ’religious nutters’ needs to take on board the hope expressed in the original post that we would not turn on each other.
We’re all in this together boys. It isn’t pretty but at the moment, it seems that we the supporters are all we have.
Bryan Douglas
5   Posted 26/11/2009 at 05:44:29

The more I see this here, the more offended I am by it.

Andy - the religious nutter phrase refers very much to the apparent fanaticism almost evangelical position that many fans hold Moyes in, bestowing religious significance to his every move - you must have come across them on here - it’s not the way I see things and I am happy to challenge those that do.
Andy McNabb
6   Posted 26/11/2009 at 07:04:12

Point taken, Bryan.
I think we are all a little fraught at the moment.
I don’t know what is worse; watching it in real time or waking up this morning and watching the TV screen in horror after finding that we were 3-0 down at half time.
I never have been a morning person but that was a particularly bad one today.