NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Everton in the World Cup

By Peter Hall :  08/03/2010 :  Comments (11) :
Will any Premier League club be represented in as many World Cup squads as Everton? I doubt it – but someone will tell me if I’m wrong.

Based on current selections and a bit of imagination :

England – looked like no-one a month ago but now Baines looks a cert and – following Brown’s injury – Jagielka is a good bet to get in the squad and play given the fragility of England centre backs.

USA – first game will have Howard in goal and Donovan captain. I said current players, meaning current now!

South Africa – Pienaar of course.

Australia – Cahill of course – say hello to Lucas for us.

Nigeria – Yak, Yobo and – quoting Michael Kenrick’s observation on Sunday’s starting X! against Hull ‘with Donovan oddly left on the bench’ – what about Anichebe and maybe EFC trying to get Victor in the shop window via proving he’s fit for selection? Now there’s an explanation, Michael...

Switzerland – Senderos

Netherlands – Heitinga, could go all the way.

I think the above are all nailed-on to include one of our current players. Less certain:

France – Saha

And finally, perhaps the last chance for the Spanish to show some sense:

Spain – Arteta. Not just because he’s the best little Spaniard but also he will (hopefully) not be carrying knocks and fatigue come the summer – he’ll be in top condition... as Jags will be. And if they don’t pick him, just think what a difference he would make in the England squad — he’ll be qualified for England soon. We’ve got strong athletic experienced players but we haven’t got anyone with the skill to outwit world class opponents – except Rooney of course.

But I think they’ll pick him in the squad.

Pity for the count that Russia failed at the last and Belgium missed qualifying.

So that's seven fairly sure... and possibly nine — can anyone beat that?

Reader Comments

Mike McLean
1   Posted 09/03/2010 at 01:36:02

As one of nature’s indefatigable pessimists, I hope all those mentioned above pick up a knock at the very end of the last match of the season ... just enough to keep them out of any squad. Why?

In the case of the England set up, to avoid contamination. Birds of a feather flock together, and nowhere is it more true than the overpiad, sleazebags who currently wear the English shirt. Do we want our players tapped up?

As to the other squads, the less opportunity agents have of increasing our players worth by putting them into the biggest of the shop windows, the better.

And in all cases, I want them to avoid the World Cup to dodge injury and exhaustion.
Stefan Tosev
2   Posted 09/03/2010 at 03:02:40

Peter,

so what, the only thing I can think of is another abysmal pre-season, with so many players missing...
Dave Richman
3   Posted 09/03/2010 at 03:32:45

And, although he’s not with us now.... Mucha with Slovakia as well!
Ciarán McGlone
4   Posted 09/03/2010 at 06:15:49

Would love to have seen Heitinga go to the World Cup as the first choice Dutch centre half... now that he’s playing in midfield that’s probably unlikely.

However, I tend to agree with Mike on this issue... Unless it was Seamus Coleman or Duffy of course... and Henry was a cheating mutha...
David Hallwood
5   Posted 09/03/2010 at 06:15:50

Well in Mike McLean, I don’t give a flying fuck about the World Cup,and if it means that our players will be coming back jaded and over-played, I’ll be positively hostile to it. playing for England has generally had a negative effect on Everton players over the last 20 years, and I pay my money to watch Everton, however if England was playing an international at Goodison, if someone gave me a ticket and I had nothing better to do I’d go, so three cheers for Ing-er-land, on 2nd thoughts, make that one and three quarters
Patty Beesley
6   Posted 09/03/2010 at 06:35:03

We should have had Fellaini in the Belguim squad as well.
John Daley
7   Posted 09/03/2010 at 06:51:03

Personally, I couldn’t give a toss about international football at the moment and I’ll just be keeping my fingers crossed that all our players make it through without suffering any injuries. It’s vitally important we go into the start of next season with a fully fit squad and avoid giving every one else a head start like we have the last 2 years.

As for England, I’m with Mike McLean: the squad is full of over-hyped, over-paid, egotistical tossers who wouldn’t think twice about trying to turn the head of any player who doesn’t earn mega bucks playing for one of the Sky 4. I would be glad for Baines personally if he makes the cut, and even more so for Jagielka after the bad luck he’s had this year (especially if he ejects Lescott from the squad), but I just hope they can both stay grounded and loyal to the club that enabled them to get there.

James Thomas

Ballack
Deco
Drogba
Anelka
Bosingwa
Kalou

Not all guaranteed but those missing will only be through injury.

Still impressive from the Toffees though...
Ollie Taylor
9   Posted 09/03/2010 at 11:13:26

Here’s a thought.

We could have the most international captains playing in the world cup of any club team in the world.

Landycakes - USA
Heitinga - Holland (definately has been captain before....think he still is now)
Nigeria - Yobo.

3/48 ain’t bad.

Liverpool only have 2 (Gerrard and Mascherano). United have 2 (Ferdinand and Vidic) or maybe 3 (Park) and

Chelsea have 2 definites in Ballack and Carvalho and possibly Drogba too. We’ve probably got a couple of vice-captains as well, in Cahill, Pienaar, Senderos and the Yak.
Ollie Taylor
10   Posted 09/03/2010 at 11:19:36

Gerrard being captain if Ferdinand is unfit, of course ;)
Peter Hall
11   Posted 09/03/2010 at 16:36:55

James - Chelsea - more players for sure, and maybe more squads - but are you sure? Four of your list are in the England squad. At least 2 are French.

I can’t be bothered to research the Chelsea squad - probably reason for the post!