NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Memorable incidents at matches

By Ray Robinson :  17/03/2010 :  Comments (85) :
As someone who has volunteered to help out on the Oral History project of the David France Collection, I was reminiscing last night about matches involving Everton which have been truly memorable – not just for a spectacular goal, an horrendous refereeing decision, a great result etc – but for something extraordinary which happened and which makes that match stand out in the memory.

I thought of the following:

· Alan Ball taking a penalty in the last minute against Ipswich when the score was 2-2 and although the ball ended in the net, it was disallowed (tester: why?)

· Albert Dunlop saving a penalty with his legs by actually sitting on the ball (which match was that? – I have my thoughts but am unsure)

· Ernie Hunt’s donkey kick when we lost 4-2 at Coventry

· Paolo di Canio catching the ball from a cross when Paul Gerrard was lying injured on the floor and he had every chance to score

· A foggy night match in the sixties against Aston Villa when we won 4-2 but hardly anyone in the crowd saw all the goals. If I remember rightly, the referee got injured in that match, a linesman took over and someone connected with Everton ran the line!

· Floodlight failure at White Hart Lane in our Championship winning season (69-70) when the match was poised at 0-0. We won the re-arranged game 1-0.

· A match at Goodison against Leeds when the referee took the teams off the pitch to let both sides cool down

· A Howard Kendall goal against Chelsea in 1970 after 13 seconds in a match that we went on to win 5-2

There must be plenty others which would make for good stories... Anyone got any to share? I must admit that I can’t think of too many involving Everton in the recent past – which might corroborate the idea that nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

Reader Comments

Art Jones
1   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:14:08

King Louis’s goal in the first minute of the Cup Final .. I couldn’t believe it had happened , I was still waiting for the ref to disallow it 5 minutes later !
Mark Murphy
2   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:16:30

Everton v Ipswich Fa cup game in the mid 80’s.
Kevin Sheedy took a free kick from the right outside the box attacking the Park End goal. He scored into the top right corner.
The referee disallowed the goal and made Sheedy take it again.
I said to my sister, we were in the top balcony, "bet he puts it in the opposite corner"
Sheeds duly obliged with a perfect bender into the top left!
Mark Murphy
3   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:21:05

Terry Darracott lobbing the ball over an opponents head and running around him to collect and pass up field while we all chanted "Darracott for England"

Duncan MacKenzie waiting for the ball from the enclosure to take a throw in so he could scrounge, and actually take a drag of, a fag versus Stoke - late 70’s.

Alan Ball sitting on the ball v Southampton

Andy King being hassled off the pitch by a gobshite policeman after the derby win in 78.
Mark Murphy
4   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:27:21

Watching the Blue Streak empty millions of Blues into the station at Leicester City, 1978. A tidal wave of Blues!
Same season that the shite took a coach load!
Tony Williams
5   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:23:52

Mine are quite recent.

Tim’s drop of his shoulder to score against Newcastle and secure 4th.

Ferguson’s header to turn back the clock 10 years.

Franny Jeffers missed header from 2 yards in the last minute against Chelsea.

Clattenberg’s Derby will forever be in every Evertonian’s memory, like the Clive Thomas incident.
Larry Boner
6   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:20:57

The Bally question, he hit the post with the penalty, but put the rebound away without anyone else touching it.
The greatest memory for me was in the 1966 Cup Final, Everton winning 3-2, injury time and Jimmy Gabriel dribbles the ball to the corner flag and keeps it there for about 15 mins,he then turns to the Everton supporters and raises his arms, I was about 25 yds away from it and swear he was looking straight into my eyes when he did it, fantastic memory but I cant find video of it anywhere.
Mike Allison
7   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:29:18

I remember the Di Canio one, and the standing ovation we gave him.

Slightly less nobly, I also remember Don Hutchison pretended to hump an opponent when he fell on top of him, think it was near the corner flag of Gwladys Street and Main Stand.
Alan McGuffog
8   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:28:28

Ray we must be of similar vintage as I recall most of the games you mention. I seem to think that the Dunlop save was in a 3 - 0 victory over West Ham in the early sixties...Albert was recalled for the injured Gordon West. Then again maybe I should be rolling em a bit thinner.
I recall that game against Ipswich likewise, a very bad tempered affair. They had a big galoot of a centre forward called Ray Crawford who scored for them late on.
As a memorable match, though, for me it has to be the Saturday evening win over that lot in the cup in 1967. What a night!
Larry Boner
9   Posted 17/03/2010 at 11:42:21

I was at Goodison for the 67 FA cup game against Liverpool.
Still at school (Cardinal Allen) and the weeks before the game were unbelievable, not evil the way it is now, but the local papers and national papers really made this game even more important, my school split down the middle, pupils teachers, going to the game was strange, but electric because both grounds were in use so both sets of supporters going basically the same way.
Goodison was magical, 66,000 I think with 40,000 at Anfield Road (highest ever gate for FA cup outside Wembley/Cardiff ?)
When Bally scored the ground exploded, you could cut the atmosphere with a hatchet.
We played Notts Forest next round, lost 2-3, daylight robbery, Rankin in goal, Storey Moore hatrick lastminute winner, Husband two for us.
I swear to this day that a special edition Echo came out after the end of the game,same night, no one believes me!! Any supporters ?
John Schrempft
10   Posted 17/03/2010 at 12:10:58

I can still remember the match at Goodison between Everton and Panathinaikos of Greece
The score was 0-0 until near the end and
then their goalkeeper let one in.

1-0 to Everton and so it remained until the final whistle. Ferenc Puskas (a legend in his own right) was their Manager. He was so furious with his goalie that he sprinted onto the pitch and clobbered him right under the goalposts!

Puskas was renowned for his pace and
believe you me, he could shift as a manager too!
Ray Robinson
11   Posted 17/03/2010 at 12:17:25

Mark, the Sheedy double free kick is a great example. I remember the Andy King incident with the copper but don’t recall the others you mention - although I did read about Bally sitting on the ball. Was that the 8-0 game?

Tony, the unpunished kung fu attack on Neville by Kuyt, is the one incident above all that stands out for me from that derby (above all the others)

Larry, you’re spot on with the penalty answer. And, Alan, Ray Crawford had actually "scored" one of the Ipswich goals by punching the ball into the net. Amazingly it stood!

3-0 against West ham is how I remembered the Dunlop penalty save by the way.

Incidentally I was a Blue at Anfield for the 67 Cup tie and it was a very windy night - so much so that the big screen near me in the Kemlyn road actually ripped! The reason there were "only " 40,000 there was because of the position of the multiple screens.

Some other unforgettables - Unsworth and Fowler having a right scrap in front of the family enclosure - no handbags there! The Sandy Brown OG against Liverpool, the Southall half time sit down protest, a Latchford goal for Swansea being loudly cheered at Goodison.

I suppose there can’t be equivalent nostalgia (yet) for more recent incidents
Ray Robinson
12   Posted 17/03/2010 at 12:39:28

John, I thought the Panathinaikos result was 1-1 with David Johnson scoring right at the death. We hit the bar 3 times in that game, if I remember rightly
Larry Boner
13   Posted 17/03/2010 at 12:45:52

Ray Robinson, you are correct, before the Panathinaikos game Puskas said he thought Evertons danger man was Jimmy Husband, he got carried off after about 2 mins. We went out on away goals, blatant cheating by the ref in Greece.
We then played the horrors at OT on Saturday in a semi final and went out, a definng week for Everton football club if ever there was one. I think Labone went off injured at half time with us 1-0 up.
Micky Norman
14   Posted 17/03/2010 at 12:54:41

Strangely some of my most memorable moments have been at Anfield. That 67 cup tie against Liverpool. I was at Anfield watching on the screen. There was about a five second delay between live action and us getting the pictures. As the ball was coming into the box we heard the roar from Goodison before we saw Alan Ball actually score.
And of course there’s Graeme Sharp’s wonder goal.

Michael Jennings
15   Posted 17/03/2010 at 13:06:12

Recent ones are Rooney’s hand on hips with Darren Moore (???) against West Brom, that told me we had a special player on the books. The Fellaini turn with Craig Bellamy against Man City this season was immense as well. Love moments like this where 35000 blues all climax at the same time watching it.

My own favourite (just for utter irony and stupidity) was Lee Carsleys horror tackle on our own Tim Cahill against Aston Villa putting him out for about 6 months, the ref’s face was a picture i’m sure he wanted to send Carsley off but with fouling his own player he couldn’t.
Simon Kirwan
16   Posted 17/03/2010 at 13:49:01

Hopefully somebody can help me with this.. been meaning to ask for months.

About 2/3 seasons ago at stamford bridge, Howard hoofed it long and cahill was like 10 yards offside about 35 yards out. Outta nowhere, he overhead kicked it and it scorched in at blisterin pace. Absoloutely stunning goal but he new it was offside before he did it. ( Not the 1-1 last min from mcfadens cross )

My manc brother remembers seein it but nobody else does?

Shaun Sparke
17   Posted 17/03/2010 at 14:11:37

Highbury 1984, Adrian Heath puts a looping header into the Southampton net. Wembley here we come!
Trevor Lynes
18   Posted 17/03/2010 at 14:33:40

The Ray Crawford hand of God goal was much more blatant than Maradona’s and the Ipswich manager was Bobby Robson who was so hypocritical about Maradona’s effort during the world cup!!
I remember very well Sandy Browns brilliant diving header into ’our net’ against Liverpool and Vernon after sending Gaskell the Man Utd goalkeeper the wrong way from the penalty spot took the time to point the ball out to the hapless goalie !! We were five nil up at half time in that game.
I remember Jimmy Harris scoring four against Spurs in London when we went down TEN...FOUR !!
I remember my first game for Southport against Rochdale when I was marking Eddie Wainwright who a few seasons before played for EFC...
The tension of watching Inter get a draw at Goodison then beat us one nil in Italy when Jairzino got the only goal and Colin Harvey made his debut.
All great memories good and bad.
Trevor Williams
19   Posted 17/03/2010 at 16:02:50

Boxing Day 1985 ..We were 1 - 0 down to the Mancs at half time and then Sharp and Lineker slammed 3 goals past them in the second half at the Gladwys Street

Also does anyone remember in the late 80’s / early 90’s when we went to Southampton and were 4 - 0 after about 30 mins....A great score but the game was dead
Andy Kay
20   Posted 17/03/2010 at 16:33:33

Wayne Clarkes disallowed goal at Anfield ( still don’t know why ) , Big Duncans header against Villareal ( Collina/ Uefa / Red shite conspiricy theory?) , Pat Nevin scythed down by Gary Ablett at anfield again ( bbc used it as Z for zero penalty in an A-Z on football in the decade!) Don Hutchinson last minute disallowed goal again against the shite off his back. Clattenburg , Clive Thomas , Handball Hansen ,ect , ect ......Yes i’m bitter but is it any wonder!
Keith Glazzard
21   Posted 17/03/2010 at 16:17:44

69/70 season I think - Johnny Morrissey and Tommy Smith went full throttle for a 50/50 ball. Goodison shuddered as they impacted and hit the deck. The red trainer was on for a few minutes while Mugsey was straight onto his feet and - I’ll swear - danced away.

The Crawford ’goal’ - I remember a report saying that the ref was the only person in the ground who didn’t see the handball.

And against Keflavik, Royle and co banging six in, but West throwing a strop when he got a bit of bird from the Gladwys for letting a soft one in.

Speaking of Gordon - when he wrote to Alf Ramsey to say he didn’t want to be considered for Mexico, not to be outdone, my mate Frank wrote to the Ellesmere Port Pioneer to declare that he didn’t want to be included in the squad either.

An interesting note about West - the first first division game he ever saw, he was playing in.

And, of course, it would have been him in goal against W Germany, not Peter Bonetti had he gone to the finals.
Andy Kay
22   Posted 17/03/2010 at 16:49:41

Its not an incident but does anyone remember an Asa Hartford headed goal against Liverpool. i think it was 79 at goodison and we went 2-0 up when joe Mcbride scored but drew 2-2 . no cameras that day ( hafnia on shirts) . Just because wearing my blue tinted glasses i remember it being a bullet from past the penalty spot that would have done big Duncan proud and yet no-one ever talks about it. ( probably because it wasn’t televised)
Trevor Powell
23   Posted 17/03/2010 at 17:24:34

That Albert Dunlop penalty save versus West Ham and the penalty taker was John Bond. Spring 1962, second ever match my dad took me to.

I went to see EFC versus Stoke in November 1963 which had all sorts of other things going on:

1. President Kennedy was assainated the day before: during the silence, a man in the top deck of the old Goodison Road top tier shouted out "Long live Kruschov" and was bundled out. He was incourt on Monday morning with an interesting defence to a breach of the peace as "It was meant as a term of respect for another world leader!"

2. Tony Kay scored in a 2-0 win, a couple of months before being exposed in the Bribery Scandal at Sheffs Weds.

3. Stanley Matthews aged 49 was playing for Stoke

4. First match with scaffolding behind goals to stop missiles being thrown, at the end of the season these were converted to the arcs in the perimeter wall at both ends.

5. Sunday Express carried Giles cartoon showing the family going to the game in an armoured vehicle at Goodison [with FA Warning notices on the walls] and Grandma stood on the corner shouting, "Chickens!" [I think I have a scan of that cartoon somehwere]

6. My Dad was on the front row seats of the Bullens Road stand... while I had the dubious pleasure of being in the Boy’s pen for the first time in my life!

Top that!
Trevor Powell
24   Posted 17/03/2010 at 17:36:25

For Larry [9] and Alan [8]

EFC 1 Red Shite 0 [FA Cup 1967] go now to

to see the grainy b+w film of the night and the goal...
Matteo Rosingana
25   Posted 17/03/2010 at 17:46:49

Mike Allison (7) - I also recall that one about Hutchison! It was against Charlton, and you’re dead right it was in that corner, I had a most pleasant view of it from the Gwladys St end. I’ve got a feeling it was Danny Mills. However, both ended up laughing; I feel today’s games is bereft of humour. We won 4-0. Smashing.
Keith Edmunds
26   Posted 17/03/2010 at 17:38:24

At age 15, I was at Anfield in 1967 for the cup match against Liverpool.

When Bally scored, the person standing next to me grabbed me and kissed me full on the face. To this day don’t know if it was a boy or a girl! Come to think of it , it may have been my first kiss.
Ray Roche
27   Posted 17/03/2010 at 18:58:51

Trevor Powell
Did you see Matthews at Goodison when he must have been about 49? He’d lost his pace but didn’t waste a ball. My Dad used to say that Stoke would always say that Matthews was fit and would play just to put a couple of thousand on the gate such was his popularity.
And there was a cartoon following the dart that was thrown at Spurs keeper Bill Brown(?) showing a Zulu spear stuck in his goal post. I think the dart incident was responsible for the erecting of the scaffolding,and later the arcs, behind the goals.

Keith Edmunds

Too much information, there, son, too much information...
John Green
28   Posted 17/03/2010 at 19:02:04

Does anyone else remember our game against West Ham in the early seventies - I think Clyde Best ran from his own half along the touchline, cut in and scored at the Street End in a 2-1 win to West Ham and Trevor Brooking was carried off stiff like a plank after being kicked in the head by Bernie Wright - and whilst on a West Ham theme what about the Ronnie Goodlass goal from the half way line.
Keith Glazzard
29   Posted 17/03/2010 at 19:31:30

Sorry John - it never happened. David Beckham did that. And Pele missed.
Colin Wainwright
30   Posted 17/03/2010 at 19:35:03

Think it was 86. Think it was against QPR. Score was 1-1 time nearly up. QPR cross comes in to the Everton box, Ian Marshall, one of the original donkeys, catches the ball, in front of the ref, throws it to bracewell, who belts it to lineker who then precedes to bury it in the corner of the net. We win 2-1. Can anyone else remember this or am i going fuckin nuts?
Keith Glazzard
31   Posted 17/03/2010 at 19:35:24

Sorry John - I’ve done irony for more than 50 years now. Damned if I’m required to say so.

Not one for the record, but it must have been 86 or thereabouts. A mate, Mackem, came with me to watch a good game of football. Standing in the Paddock, Trevor Steven, right before our eyes, took it down, right foot, flipped to his left as a full blooded challenge was hitting him from the front. And calmly played the ball to a colleague to his left.

My mate said something like - whatever it cost, no matter what, that was full value for for the ride. And he was right.
Dick Fearon
32   Posted 17/03/2010 at 19:40:55

So many memories I don’t know where to start. I will add my two bobs worth on some that have already been mentioned so
The Bally penalty question. Colin Harvey was about to finish off the rebound when he was pushed out of the way by Alan.

Johnnie Morrisey scoring our 4th at Anfield. He paused over the ball and beckoned Tommy Younger the RS scottish international keeper to come for it. Big Tommy came roaring out and Morrisey cheekily lobbed the ball over his head and into the net.
I found myself dancing in an empty Kop.
Alan McGuffog
33   Posted 18/03/2010 at 15:45:06

I too recall seeing Matthew’s playing for Stoke in the early 1960’s. Meagan was marking him, pre Ramon Wilson of course.
Someone of my age may be able to help me on this....in those days kick off times were sacrosanct...3p.m. on a Saturday and 7.30 p.m mid week. But the Stoke game was always 3.15 for some reason. Why ?Or am I imagining this ?
Ray Robinson
34   Posted 18/03/2010 at 16:10:09

Colin, I remember the incident you’re referring to. It was against Oxford in 1985 and we won 2-0, so you’re not going mad.

Anyone remember a referee called Roger Kirkpatrick, I think, who had such a funny way of running that the whole crowd used to burst out lin hysterics?
Trevor Lynes
35   Posted 18/03/2010 at 16:32:28

I started watching in 1948 and I saw Lawton score for Notts County against us in his twilight years...but he was still great in the air.
I remember Finney missing a pen against Liverpool in the season Liverpool were relegated...the game was at Anfield and PNE won 5-1..
The Liverpool player who most scared me was Liddell and even today he would have been terrific....I remember Catterick playing and he was pretty average....By the way..the ref in the game when Crawford scored his obvious handball was Maurice Fussey....It was so blatant that I could never forget that particular ref !!!!
I well remember St John’s debut against us and we won 4-3 but St John got a hat trick...Vernon and Gabriel scored two each for us !!
Mark Murphy
36   Posted 18/03/2010 at 16:38:25

Andy Kay

I remember Asa’s goal!
we went loopy in the Glwadys and I lost my specs underfoot!
Got them back but they were wrecked and luckilly I only partly saw their comeback!
we shouldve hammered them that day!
I met Asa and George Wood in the Royal Oak on the way home and they were gutted! Crackin blokes though, especially Georgie! He hated the redshite like a lifelong blue!
Murf
Neil Smith
37   Posted 18/03/2010 at 16:53:29

We all remeber the great moments, and the ones were we woz robbed. But I love some of the more obscure ones.
Does anyone remeber Paul gascoigne missing an open goal from about 2 yards at the street end for newcastle in 1988. He hit the bar. Southall was nowhere, and he was alone with the ball at his feet. Goes down as one of the greatest misses ive ever seen. It was never captured on tv.
Remember being one of the 3086 at the Millwall Simod cup game later that year. Our lowest ever attendance Iam told. Never missed a game at Goodison in that competition in any of its guises, but my god the attendances were dire.
Mark Murphy
38   Posted 18/03/2010 at 17:12:27

John Green and Keith Glazzard

Yes he did!
It was at the Boleyn Ground and I was there!

Murf
Andy McGuffog
39   Posted 18/03/2010 at 17:30:17

I saw Matthews against Mick Meagan. As
I remember it, Matthews had the freedom of the right touchline, Meagan didn’t tackle him once - being the ’gentlemanly’ type.
Imagine being known as the bloke who finished Stan’s career by snapping his spindly legs.
Jeff Armstrong
40   Posted 18/03/2010 at 18:17:28

Think it was 74, manures first season back in the 1st division, night game, lights fail in the first half, billy bullshitter, the "rossy" of his day makes a racist joke about Cliff Marshall! even, then as a 12 year old kid
Jeff Armstrong
41   Posted 18/03/2010 at 18:27:48

sorry about the premature ending above, anyway, I was about to say even then it was an obviously crass joke. Stuck with me though. Still have’nt got a decent P.A anouncer to this day!
Steve Green
42   Posted 18/03/2010 at 18:41:27

Tommy Wright Testimonial circa a freezing November 1972 -ish. Pouring down with cold, cold rain all evening. Drunken Jocks absolutely everywhere. And on to the hallowed turf of Goodison comes a streaker. No Erica Roe from 10 years later this one with 40’’ tits bouncing everywhere. No sir, a horrible, ugly, drunken jocko - not a sight for sore 12 year old eyes. Then 5 minutes from the end, the jockos try and come in and take the Street End. Mayhem. Then 20 mins after the match, still 12 yrs old and waiting for the bus back to Bootle on County Road and there’s fighting everywhere. Scary stuff but eye opening and character building for later, well not very later, years following my team!
Steve
Steve Green
43   Posted 18/03/2010 at 18:49:44

Sorry, in case you it wasn’t very clear, playing Rangers by the way.
How about playing Spurs on a Weds afternoon cos we couldn’t use the floodlights due to the 3 day week. Circa 74 I would think. Afternoon off school and off to Goodison, only for it to be a booring 0-0 draw. Honestly, it was nearly as bad as double maths.
Then there was the Man Utd game where the floodlights went out. Contrary to earlier posting from Jeff I think it was Dec 1976 -midweek night game - and we lost 6-2. Wish the bastard lights had stayed off. Remember the Street End singing Silent Night when the ground was in darkness. Macari scored a cracking overhead kick and something in my old, old mind says Gorgon Hill scored a cracker. Stand to be corrected mind.

Keith Glazzard
44   Posted 18/03/2010 at 19:23:57

Mark - my apologies.

To be honest, when I’m trying to sort out media hype (God is Becs etc) from real life, sometimes real life loses.

But Pele did miss. Decent player though.
Pete Gunby
45   Posted 18/03/2010 at 19:27:26

When we equalized against Panathinaikos the keeper went down and made a meal of it. The ref. added no extra time. We were all over them and didn’t get the chance to go 2-1 up.
Same kind of frustration as Villareal and Fiorentino. Heartbreak- Everton enough said.
Steve Green
46   Posted 18/03/2010 at 19:00:05

• Reidy sorting out Brian Marwood after he had snapped Inchy
• Psycho Pat putting squeaky, squeaky Strachen in to the Bullens Road railings
• Johnny Morrisey taking the ball in to the clock corner of Goodison Rd and Street End in the closing stages when 3-2 up against Leeds in ‘69, putting his foot on the ball as Reaney, Bremner et all snapped at him, and casually pulling his jersey sleeve up to look at his watch!
• Watching Scott Parker put himself about against us in a Carling Cup match for Charlton in 2003 and thinking – sign him cos he will boss our midfield for years like no one has since Bally.
• Imre Varadi getting a face full of hot pork pie after mistakenly running to the Park End to celebrate his goal against the shite in the cup in ’81. Cracking shot Kopite Gobshite.
• Howard Kendall’s scissor kick, was it against Stoke, in 1969 which I have tried to emulate ever since whenever the opportunity presents itself!
• The boys pen choir of the late 60’s being more discernable than the main mob.
• John Bailey scoring for struggling at the time Everton against Luton from the halfway line past Jake Finlay in a 5-0 win in front of my cousin from Melbourne. I had spent the previous 2 weeks telling him how good a shite Everton were – the boys came through for once.
• Cushions raining down from the Top Balcony – pick your match!
• Merseyside Dog Display Team performance during half time – pick your match!
• The nearest I have seen to the net being taken off it’s pegs – a Dave Clements 25 yard screamer against either Newcastle or Blackburn – no stopping that power.
• The very first ‘This is Operation Goodison’ – what the fuck!
• Snowing at Bolton on New Year’s Day – so much that the match was abandoned at half time. Didn’t realise at the time how good he was – but not before Reidy, who was playing for Bolton, did serious damage to his knee in a collision with Georgie Wood.
• Speaking of which, the excitement at Goodison when Ally McLeod came down prior to the ‘78 World Cup in Argentina to run the rule over said Georgie Wood. We were bursting and vocal - Scotland’s, Scotland’s Number one - the team was shite, Georgie was worse. Anyone recall the opponents?
• Watching my first match from Goodison that didn’t involve Everton – an England Home International match against N. Ireland on a Friday night – think that John Richards of Wolves was making his debut. Anyway, it was fuckin weird.
• Watching my first match actually at Goodison that didn’t involve Everton - an FA Cup replay between Newcastle and Forest. Watched it from the Enclosure. It was even weirder.
• Your first midweek match under floodlights always stays burned in the memory for everyone doesn’t it. Mine – League Cup match against Arsenal – won 1-0 - Howard K scored I think. The smell of hot dogs, programmes sold outside the ground, packets of Wrigleys being chucked by the vendor from the touchline to 7 heads back into the crowd and the money being chucked in the opposite direction.
• Thinking you were Billy Big Time cos you were going up to the Top Balcony – ‘on an escalator’! Being pissed off cos you had to walk all the way down at the end of the match.
• Being seriously shocked to discover AC Milan fans in the Main Stand, outed because they were cheering when Mick Bernard got sent of (for the most innocuous challenge as I seem to recall). As an innocent 14 year old I didn’t realise that fans travelled over from other countries for European games – nor that the waiters from the local Trattoria were lifelong fans of big traditional Italian teams.
Alex Houghton
47   Posted 18/03/2010 at 20:12:54

Probably not a major one for most but very memorable for me.
I was 14 and just got my first season ticket and was allowed to go to the game on my own. I got into the paddock about 30 seconds before kick off thinking I was in the wrong part of the ground. We were playing a freshly promoted Newcastle on a sunny August afternoon and I had my new NEC shirt on with full EFC tracksuit. TC banged one in after 35 seconds before completing a hat trick in a 4 0 win.

I was hooked and convinced we were the best in the world.......
Dominic Ward
48   Posted 18/03/2010 at 21:01:27

Young Ronnie Goodlass scored that goal from the halfway line against West Ham’s Mervyn Day, also as I remember Sandy Brown was regular left-back but was ’rested’ for the Stoke game. Probably the only reason Matthews decided to play
Gary Hughes
49   Posted 18/03/2010 at 21:29:25

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned the greatest pass of all time... Bracewell's 40-yard volleyed crossfield pass to Trevor Steven against Sunderland in 85. If Best or Dalglish had've done that, it would have been folklore.
Albert Perkins
50   Posted 18/03/2010 at 22:23:14

Does anyone else remember Bally being kicked and grabbed and pulled and pushed for 20 mins and he just picked up the ball and gave it to the defender as if to say, "If you want it so badly, here it is!"
I also will never forget him sitting on the ball.
It was an away game when we first won the league in the 60’s and Alex Young, oh it does make your heart race to think about him, turned at about 30 degrees off the ground and two defenders tried to match him, fell over, and Alex scored with aplomb. 2-0.
The derby game when we won 5-0 at Anfield. Couldn’t get a ticket, so I shaved off my mustache and went through the boy’s pen turnstyle on my knees to see Harvey score off his knee and Morrisey, fresh from Anfield, swerve inside and put it high into the net.
My best mate was a Liverpool fan and we went to each other’s games every week in the 60’s and 70’s. Such great characters. I remember St John giving a defender a right hook and he was carried off unconscious. St John took off his pads and was walking off when the ref came over to him and seemed to say he had not seen the incident, and that he better behave for the rest of the game. St John shook his head and walked back upfield to score a couple.
For most of the 70’s I was the fool on the kop with the blue scarf. One time when we were winning I had the honor of thousands of koppites singing they would hang that white haired basted from the kop, by his balls.
We played United away and Pickering was pulled down 3 times when free on goal and Best was allowed to dance around 5 players before he scored the winner. They were unfair dirty bastards. Got a few scars from pennies thrown by United fans that night.
It was worth all the entrance fees watching Everton all these years just see Ball and Young passing up the line. Poetry. Bloody poetry.
John Schrempft
51   Posted 19/03/2010 at 01:51:40

Ray, you’re absolutely right about the
Panathinaikos game. It was 1-1 and exactly as you said.

Must be getting old. Or it’s from following Everton for more than 50 Years!
Frank Downey
52   Posted 19/03/2010 at 00:59:03

The Everton connection at the Villa game was Johnny Morrisey as linesman. Our first goal saw half the Villa side berating him for not flagging for offside. John gave them his best wooden-indian look!! He was replaced at half-time.

The infamous cooling off spell was the result of an incompetent ref unable to handle the undeclared warfare that Leeds used against any team that played with skill.

Sandy Brown had already been sent off, for retaliation against a deliberate foul by Giles. Just before half-time, Bell, the Leeds left back, caught Chico Scott in full flight and laid him out. The crowd went berserk, the Everton team looked as though they would take Bell apart, and the ref lost the plot and took everyone off. Although Scott was carried off on a stretcher, he returned with the rest of the team and if memory serves me true, nothing was done about Bell.

This might stir the memories of my fellow oldies. The late 40s, pools of water all over Goodison. Ted Sagar takes a goalkick at the Park end. He slips/miskicks and the ball barely clears the penalty area before hitting Steel, the Derby forward, in the back and drops to the ground. Steel turns round can't believe his luck, promptly buries it in the net. Sagar goes ballistic at the great T G Jones for not covering his man. I would dearly love to know what T G said in reply.

Art Jones
53   Posted 19/03/2010 at 03:17:45

Not an incident during a game but I met Bob Latchford for the 1st time about a year ago .. only Bally was a bigger hero to me than Latch , I was a bit apprehensive because they reckon you shold not meet your heroes as they may have cloth feet . how wrong could that be , He was an absolute gentleman and fantastic company . Better still I met him again just before Xmas at one of those ’ Evening with .... " nights , he remembered me and made a point of shaking my hand and at the end of the night came over for a chat .. My mates were gobsmacked .. as was most people who had the pleasure of meeting him
Bob McEvoy
54   Posted 19/03/2010 at 03:20:43

28/02/59 Danny Blanchflower being presented with a packet of Shredded Wheat by a speccy before the game
11/05/63 Vernon’s hat trick goal v Fulham .Ten mins from the end ,I was in front of the Gladwys St about 5 yards from where the ball kissed the stanchion .
Sept 63 Took my brother to his 1st game . Against Burnley .We hadn’t lost at home for 2 years . We lost 4-3!!
Nov 63 . Versus Blackburn . Tony Kay gets sent off . Missiles rain down . Lose 4-2 .Pickering gets a hat trick and convinces Catterick .
23/11/63 v Stoke 2-0 As said earlier no -one went near Matthews
11/03/67 v Liverpool 5th round of cup . I was in Goodison Road stand . Gale force wind .Crap game .Seconds before half time i can still see the flying pig and the yard dog chasing Bally before he hooks it into the net.

I’m still convinced Dunlop sat on the penalty at Bolton Sept 1960 .Perhaps he did it twice. Also the battle v Leeds I always thought it was Derk Temple who got poleaxed by Willie Bell. I was right in line with that assault and I thought Bell had killed him.
Keith Edmunds
55   Posted 19/03/2010 at 05:01:51

Can’t remember the date, but some scallywag ran on and presented St John with a bunch of bannannas. It would be frowned upon now, but great fun at he time. Anyone tell me the year and did we win?
Mark Murphy
56   Posted 19/03/2010 at 05:57:36

Steve Green - re the AC Milan fans!

Do you remember what happened to their big flag?
And the announcer (Billy Butler?)
chuckling:
"Come on lads, give em their flag back!" ??
Matthew Mackey
57   Posted 19/03/2010 at 06:09:10

1985 at Anfield - Graeme Sharps thunderous volley from 30 odd yards past Bruce Gobshitilar to win 1-0

When i’m old and senile, if that’s the only memory left in my head i’ll still be a happy man!
Chris Williams
58   Posted 19/03/2010 at 06:20:54

November 1962 against Dunfermiline in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup. Acrap match, one of the dirtiest I’ve ever seen, and a goal by Denis Stevens. This was our first real ’European’ game.

It coincided with the climax of the ’Suez Crisis’ and on the very night that Russian ships carrying missile parts to Cuba were scheduled to bump into US warships and start WW3 over 40,000 people stood almost silently in Goodison Park watching a terrible game and wondering if they would still have a home to go to. Dunfermiline were managed by a young Jock Stein and beat us over the 2 legs and I didn’t really mind as at least there was a second leg.

The wierdest atmosphere for a game I’ve ever experienced.
Stephen Ryan
59   Posted 19/03/2010 at 07:05:13

Sheedy’s 90th minute equalizer in the ’85 FA Cup semi final against Luton at Villa Park keeping the treble dream alive. The ground literally exploded.
Charles King
60   Posted 19/03/2010 at 07:07:56

Big Bob Latchford scoring against his old club Birmingham City on his Goodison debut, I think he got 2 that day and I’m sure he hit the bar as well. When he scored at the Gwladys St end I was over the wall like a flash running towards him when a copper shepherded me back.I had a shock of curly dark hair and was wearing an old rainmac, to this day my brother still calls me "Columbo of Goodison Park".
What a day, when I die God will let me re-enact that moment only this time the copper won’t be there.
Charles King
61   Posted 19/03/2010 at 07:20:57

My girlfriend pestered me to go to goodison, we went in the Bullens rd stand with my mate tony against Spurs in the 70s.
40,000 there, crap game 0-0 till the dying minutes when of all people Jim Pearson popped up to score the winner. As the ball hit the net and the ground erupted I looked down and there was my girl frozen in fear unable to catch her breath, she later told me she’d never seen or heard anything like that explosion of noise and joy.

When Keegan had returned to Southampton they were flying and favourites to beat us in an FA cup tie at the dell.
At half time we were drawing and for some reason there appeared to be a slight delay as the teams were in position ready to kick off the second half. Every Everton supporter in that ground was singing "we’re on the march with Gordon’s army" and there were thousands of us there, the locals, the players all looked in awe, never seen a ground so taken over by away support .
We drew the game then finished them off 1-0 at goodison where Keegan said it was their support that did it. When the spirit of belief is with this club, unstoppable.
James Boden
62   Posted 19/03/2010 at 08:01:14

Although I cannot imagine many of us would have been there to witness it (and I was not one of them for the record) but has there ever been anything more memorable than when Dean scored his 60th. History which will surely never be beaten ever!
Robert Workman
63   Posted 19/03/2010 at 09:56:49

Re 46 The Peter Reid tackle against Marwood, who had just badly injured his mate Adrian Heath. I was right in line as he came over with only one thing on his mind, to put Marwood off the pitch - and he succeeded. He also gracefully accepted the inevitable booking, clearly feeling it was worth it!
Re 54 I remember the 2-3 home defeat by Blackburn one year later (Oct 64) as being the game in which Fred Pickering scored his hat-trick against us. The reason being, it was the first time that I had seen Everton lose! This came after we had been 2-0 up after about 10 minutes. Alex Young scored one, if not both, goals. Since that day I have always understood the comment that it is not good to be 2-0 up too soon (better than being 2-0 down though!).
I was also present at the infamous Leeds game, whne Sandy Brown was sent off after around 3 minutes and teh players were taken off about 10 minutes later. It did feel a bit like history in the making. The game was also memorable to me for the shout of "Hey up" as a guy not far from me in the Park End used his rolled up newspaper as a funnel - fortunately I was not splashed on the leg!
Bob McEvoy
64   Posted 19/03/2010 at 10:22:37

Robert, at risk of being pedantic I’ve looked this up on Everton stats. We did indeed lose 3-2 to Blackburn at home on 24 October 1964 but Fred was playing for us; indeed he scored. Fred played his 1st game for us on 14 March 1964. I always thought of Pickering as a yard dog but he scored 70 goals in 115 appearances so he could bang them in.
Robert Workman
65   Posted 19/03/2010 at 10:42:54

Bob - thanks for the correction. So I clearly didnt see the previous 2-4 game and his hat-trick. Fred was a bit of a folk hero in my school, having been converted from full-back. Incidentally the reason that we lost both games to Blackburn, whilst conceding so many goals, could well have been down to a certain Bryan Douglas. IMO he was the best inside-forward of his era and was the only opposition player that I feared when watching Everton. Why he was not a regular for England probably fits into the "Anti-Northern" bias prevalent at the time (which may also have accounted for Colin Harvey and Howard Kendall not making it into the national side a few years later).
Ray Robinson
66   Posted 19/03/2010 at 12:47:52

Two more:

Being at Stoke in 1985 when we won 2-0 and the Everton fans being detained in the ground after the final whistle while the Stoke fans left (about 25% of the attendance!)

In the early eighties, walking past the Southampton coaches at about 11 o’clock at night - the night that Eamon O’Keefe scored the winner in an FA Cup Replay in extra time, wondering what time the Southampton fans would get back and what they’d feel like in work the following morning. I think that match finished so late that the money almost ran out in the meter to keep the floodlights going
Conor Ryan
67   Posted 19/03/2010 at 15:00:00

98’ ,Last day survival vs Coventry.I was on the pitch at the end on some fella’s shoulders as the choruses of " We want Johnson out " rang out.
I think he resigned not long after.
Jeff Armstrong
68   Posted 19/03/2010 at 15:53:18

everyone remembers the obvious, reidy/marwood, semis,great goals etc, think the original post was hinting at the more obscure incidents that where memorable to different people for different reasons, the Varadi pie in the face was a classic memory jerker, my favourite pie related incident was when I was in the enclosure and a st johns ambulance nerdy fucker was singing along to mull of kintyre on the p.a, down came a pie from the main stand,, hits first aid dude full in the face, fuck me, either he wasn’t hungry or pies in his face was a common occurence, but he just carried on with with the lipsyncing, did’nt seem to notice the gravy dribbling down his kite!!!, me and my mate where still laughing about it years later Oh Steve Green the man u 6-2 was A boxing day clash were the the lights stayed on but Macari absolutely snotted a blue who ran on to the pitch after he scored, think a young Cantona might of seen the video cos Macaris assault was far more subtle and he escaped any censure.
Steve Green
69   Posted 19/03/2010 at 16:56:40

• That Ray Crawford handball referred to earlier by Ray Robinson and Trevor Lynes was not just punching the ball in – it was actually like a set and pike at volleyball in execution and so clear to the eye. How did the ref not see it? It was my first ever, ever Everton match (FAC3 ’69) and I bloody managed to see it and I was only 8.
• Blackpool last home game of the season, 71/72 ish – Bally catches a full volley right in front of goal from the 6 yd line – full blooded – Burridge doesn’t have time to move and it smashes him full in the plums. He was down getting treatment for what seemed like 10 mins, but it got them a 0-0 draw. Not that I’ve lived a particularly miserable life up to that point, but I’d never seen every single bloke around me smiling and laughing before!
• James Bode – great, great shout re Dixie’s 60th.
• Playing in the amber away kit even though we were at home – was it Colchester in the cup? Couldn’t understand why – we were at home for God’s sake.
• Orange ball in the snow v Oxford in ‘that’ replay – pissed it 4-1 in the end and never looked back.
• The replay of the Southampton game that Charles King mentions - queueing to get in and panic as all the turnstiles are closing. You know, the dreaded sound of wood banging on wood. Found a turnstile still working at Goodison Road next to the church, bang they closed. Ended up jumping a queue for the Top Balcony and paying the extra. Just got in before it closed behind me. Full house of 50k, no seats to be had at all, spent the entire match sitting on the cold, hard, cold concrete steps. Extra-time, Eamon O’Keefe scrambles one in, 1-0, ground erupted, into the semi’s I think.
• Talking of Southampton, that 8 niller in 1971. New Scoreboard at the park end struggling to keep up and display it all. It absolutely pissed it down all match, everyone in the Street End moves under the stand to keep dry, whole fron section is empty back up to the exits, so only being 11 and small I go to get a better view and sit on a barrier by the 6 yard box. Got absolutely soaked to the skin – somehow finding an Echo or a Daily Mirror and feebly covered my head with it til it sogged right up. Still, 8-0!
• Sure I’m right on this one, going to Swindon in 1977 and being able to walk around 2 sides of the ground at half time to get a better view of the end we were attacking in 2nd half. Just like being at Runcorn or Marine but actually watching the Blues in FAC4.
• A midweek match at Goodison v Ipswich – going full of hope thinking we had a good chance – got played right off the park – had heard all about Dutch Total Football years earlier but this was the first time I had seen it first hand – this was featuring Arnold Murhen and Frans Thissen who were outstanding and we got thrashed 0-4 with some great goals (Gates, Brazil etc) as well and we could have shipped a load more on the night.
• FAC3 in 1974 and it was the last time I left a match before the final whistle. Got off early with TV not being like it is today, missed the third goal. Never again. Even if we are 4 or 5 down. I vowed not to miss any more and haven’t.
David S Shaw
70   Posted 19/03/2010 at 16:54:46

Alan Ball wiping his nose on the corner flag?

I also remember a chant along the lines of ’get off our pitch’, but cant remember why but people around me found it funny.

Can anyone fill in the blanks?
Jeff Armstrong
71   Posted 19/03/2010 at 17:04:03

steve, 0-4 ipswich was never midweek, sun shone on a saturday afternoon and we got snotted. try evertonresults.com for a real trip down memory lane...
Ray Robinson
72   Posted 19/03/2010 at 17:09:24

Steve Green, re Colchester home match when we played in amber, I think there was a short period in FA Cup history where, if there was a colour clash, BOTH teams had to change.
Ray Robinson
73   Posted 19/03/2010 at 17:17:35

And snotted 4-0 though we were by Ipswich, we beat them 2-1 the very next week in the FA Cup!
Steve Green
74   Posted 19/03/2010 at 16:57:15

Yes Jeff you are absolutely right on the Boxing Day bit. Time confuses the mind so much. It must have been a year or so before that, prob the Latchford 1-1 game then, but it certainly was in the days leading up to a xmas when the lights went out, hence the silent night rendition from the Street End.
Steve Green
75   Posted 19/03/2010 at 17:30:04

Woops again Jeff, maybe that was a 3-2 defeat midweek by Ipswich in the league cup then. Whatever, in one (or both?) of those games Ipswich absolutely gave us a lesson.
Tony I'Anson
76   Posted 20/03/2010 at 04:42:55

Trevor Steven penalty and a high viz jacket blew in front of the goalie just as he took it.

View from next to Gordon Lee’s dug out that saw the Jimmy Case tackle end Geoff Nulty’s career.

For one season - oh Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary, Lin-ek-er every time he scored.

Looking up to the main stand with people trying to save Dixie Dean. I didn’t know it was him at the time though.

A big old-school type security guard battering lumps out of Evertonian teenagers to get them off the roof of the tunnel as the players came out. The tunnel was covered in barbed wire, glass cemented into concrete to keep the scallies off. How times have changed.

A brawl in the "new" posh Executive boxes in the Enclosure v Man Utd. behind the tinted glass. White blood stained shirts everywhere. Fans banging on the windows "Get into them". "Let em ’av it". Bedlam. I was about 10.

Bullens Road going up in the air like a Mexican wave, in a pre-empted pincer movement strike by the opposition fans. Felt more like Beruit. I think I was 8.

Legging it away from County Road with my brother and cousin after maurauding West Ham fans went on the rampage after the last game of the season (3-1win)

Getting a big white badge saying: "Duncan McKenzie bends more Balls than Norman Scott" Who? I was about 8.

A tiny old man being chauffeured along Goodison Road in a Bentley with fans going crazy. It was his cheesy grin of contentment I will never forget. The man was John Moores.

Funny how the violence stays with an impressionable young person.
Matthew Lovekin
77   Posted 20/03/2010 at 05:54:56

Lots of positives and negatives:

The ball hitting the back of Don Hutchison and rolling into an empty RS net, but the ref blowing his full-time whistle 2seconds before the ball crossed the line!

The 1995 Dunc header against the Mancs from a Hinchcliffe corner and the shirt swirling afterwards.

Southall sitting by the Wembley goalpost, despondent, and not interested in collecting his FA Cup losers medal.

The Rideout Cup Final goal. Watching at home on TV, cheering so loud, the neighbours banging on the wall to shut up!

Turning the radio off as went 2-0 down to Wimbledon, last game ’94. Turned it back on to hear Limpar ’fall’ to the ground to win the penalty.

Too many incidents of the Clattenburg derby, all went against us, just unreal. Conspirarcy.

Gravesen’s retaken free-kick to make it 3-2 against Bolton on son’s first visit to GP, on 4th birthday.

Rooney running the length of the pitch to have a go at Pompey fans after scoring in the 1-0 win with 10mins to go.

Distin’s defending to give Sporting a penalty after looking so comfortable and which changed the tie.

So many, could last all day...
Jim Hourigan
78   Posted 20/03/2010 at 06:36:25

Could’nt get into the ground for the infamous Wimbledon game and watched the match from one of the trees in the park. The workman’s huts blocked out most of the view so, with a couple of hundred others, we listened to the radio whilst watching the bits we could see.

What about the Bayern match !! the atmosphere was the best I have ever felt at a match - still remember like it was yesterday.
Kevin Spencer
79   Posted 20/03/2010 at 09:06:37

I will never forget that one-hand-catch by Neville Southall in the last minute of the FA-cup 95. I can see this over and over again. Look at 1 min 55 sec of this clip. Talk about dominating the penalty area!

David S Shaw
80   Posted 21/03/2010 at 11:31:03

I remember Silent night for Gordon Lee

I'm sure I recall When a Child is Born as well, although I maybe mistaking that one with the away fans?
Ray Robinson
81   Posted 21/03/2010 at 11:32:38

Singing to Coventry fans in the 90's, "Going down, going down, going down!" Back came their retort, "So are we, so are we, so are we!". Classic.
Peter Moore
82   Posted 21/03/2010 at 21:21:20

My first game at Goodison on my own was against Norwich (6/12/86). We battered them 4-0 and I have a vivid memory of Sheedy "scooping" the ball over the defence for Heath to smash it in full on the volley for the 4th goal. Just beautiful!

Trouble is I've never seen footage of this goal cos I think there was a TV strike this season, no doubt someone out there will correct me on that one. It may well be that the goal was nowhere near as good as i remember it! Mind you if anyone out there does have a link?

Rob Ball
83   Posted 22/03/2010 at 10:44:33

Not posted on here before but been a keen observer for many years. One goal that never seems to get a mention was in the Leeds match at Elland Road in the 68-69 season when Leeds were at their peak. They were 1-0 up when Ball put in a near post cross which Joe Royle met with a brilliant diving header to make it 1-1. We eventually lost 2-1 but that goal and the overall display pointed the way for the following season.
Mark Murphy
84   Posted 22/03/2010 at 14:03:44

Steve Green and Ray Robinson,
Thank you!

I have been told so many times by fellow Blues that I must have imagined seeing the amber and gold kit at Goodison that I was beginning to think I was mad!

Eugene Ruane
85   Posted 22/03/2010 at 18:01:32

Away at Luton, us playing in Luton's kit (has someone mentioned it - too much to read above?)

Plus (honestly!) who (else) beat the Luton away ban?

I remember being knocked-back for two Luton identity cards (nicker each) then sending a furious second request.

"How DARE you turn me down! I was born and raised in Stopsley (found it on the map - somewhere in Bedfordshire) and have been a proud Hatter all my life (nb: proud, NOT brown!).

Two ID cards arrived and me and a mate went.

Got beat and it was one of the most frustrating afternoons ever.

EVERY decision went their way and we couldn't say fuck all.

I've just remembered, they had an absolute cunt of a chairman called Evans - a big mate and suck-hole of Thatcher.

Hopefully he's now dead and whatever killed him really hurt.