NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Possible Young Stars for Next Season

By Rahman Talib :  22/04/2010 :  Comments (21) :
Here are my list of young Everton stars that should be considered by DM, going forward (being that our transfer budget is slightly bigger than the income of Liechenstein).

We’ll need all the cash we have the keep all our current players. So, there wouldn’t be much left for any big name transfers. Like it or not, the best way to save money is to develop our Academy players cause they cost nothing.

The standouts are:

a. Seamus Coleman : His ability has been proven. In fact, if we fail to land Donavan, DM should retrain Coleman as a Right midfielder in front of Neville. He will give hell to anyone.

b. Shane Duffy : I would sell Distin and give Shane more exposure at the CB position. I think the dude has what it takes to become a big time Center Back. Plus, he’s already scored 3 goals in the Reserve League which makes him our top scorer. It’s every team’s dream to have a scoring center back. Kindda reminded me of Joleon Lescott first season with us.

c. Jose Baxter : His instinct in front of goal is superb although not yet Premier League standard. But, with enough playing time in PL, he has the potential to be the next Rooney.

d. Kieran Agard : What can I say? The dude is fast. We can lob any sort of ball forward and the dude can catch it. In fact, Agard can join the Jamaican sprint team anytime should he quit football altogether and contest in the Olympics.

e. James Wallace: Very consistent performer in our Reserve team. Something to consider about.

While at it, we also should consider these names:

a. Shkodran Mustafi
b. Cody Arnoux
c. Anton Peterlin

In addition, we already have Jack Rodwell , Anichebe, Vaughan and Dan Gosling. Imagine the money we save should these players perform at PL standard?

Remember, Alex Ferguson came up with the best team Man U ever had with half of the team coming from their youth system.

Reader Comments

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1   Posted 22/04/2010 at 05:01:29

We should open a book now on how many of those (I say at least 3) will not be with us next season. Sorry to appear cynical but, as was rightly said on another recent thread, very, very few come up through the ranks too actually make the grade.
Øystein Bjaanes Lemvik
2   Posted 22/04/2010 at 06:36:00

From what I've seen (not much, but still...) I'd say that Peterlin, Arnoux and Agard will be out the door. Baxter probably needs loan experience, I doubt he'll get many games for us next season. Duffy could also go out on loan – he looked ok in the Europa League, but the PL week in week out is.. different. Mustafi and Wallace, I can't judge, but I doubt we'll be seeing them next season – which leaves Coleman. He may be the solution to RB – we'll just wait, see and hope Moyes gives him the chance.
Alan Kirwin
3   Posted 22/04/2010 at 09:31:45

Forgive me, but haven't Arnoux & Peterlin left, or were about to. Sure I read they were having trials elsewhere.

Duffy looked like he could make it from the brief sights I had in the Europa. As for Agard, I had high hopes but after watching him he seems to make Theo Walcott look like Johann Cruyff. Fast, but head down & not enough skill.
David Hallwood
4   Posted 22/04/2010 at 09:50:13

Agree with most of the posters, big year coming up for Duffy, Baxter, Agard and they need to go out on extended loans to decent-ish Championship sides.
Tony J Williams
5   Posted 22/04/2010 at 09:23:51

Peterlin is being touted around other lower leagues already, so unfortunately he does not seem to be up to it. It's a pity as he describes himself as a ball winning midfielder who like to pass it along the floor.......ah well, we will have to make do with Fellaini then.
Ciarán McGlone
6   Posted 22/04/2010 at 10:07:08

Ahh... Peterlin — our first mooted signing last season!!!

The doctor (or whatever) who was considered a possibly great move on here — because of the structure of the MLS — didn't see that one coming.....

Duffy is probably the only one who will get a look in next season..
Ben Jones
7   Posted 22/04/2010 at 12:01:55

Peterlin and Arnoux were trialled at Motherwell last month I think so they'll be gone.

Duffy is a good prospect – I'd have him as our 4th centre back next season instead of Senderos.

Baxter will proably be loaned out, he does look class though – has undoubted talent.
Coleman needs to improve defensively, once he does should be fantastic.

Agard is pacey but can't see him succeeding to be honest.
Mustafi I was quite impressed with in the game against BATE, I think we're on to something with him.

Bjørn Morkestrand
8   Posted 22/04/2010 at 12:03:55

If we are not going to qualify for Europe, before the final game or final two games we should definitely try to play some of our youngsters. But I doubt it will happen.
Phil Martin
9   Posted 22/04/2010 at 12:11:34

What about Carlo Gash? He was the official "Wow" player Bily was talking about.
James Gardner
10   Posted 22/04/2010 at 12:43:43

I think that Lukas Jutkiewicz is on the cusp of first team football. Having had an excellent season out on loan at Motherwell scoring 10 goals in 25 games should be in Moyes's thoughts this pre-season. Having spent £1 mil for him 3 years ago, it looks like another piece of excellent business.

I am also looking forward to seeing more of Seamus this season, an exciting talent... I just hope that the core of the squad stays fit so that Moyes can let these players develop in the right conditions. Fingers crossed, it could be a year ahead for fellow Toffees.

Geoff Edwards
11   Posted 22/04/2010 at 13:07:34

Re Mustafi, I think we should look to poach more young talent from Germany. Germany are producing a hell of a lot of excellent young talent at the moment. I think when the Spanish cycle comes to an end, it could be Germany's turn to dominate Europe again.
Tony J Williams
12   Posted 22/04/2010 at 13:20:44

James, I wouldn't hold my breath with Lukas, I could probably get a few goals in the Scottish league and I haven't played for about 12 years.

Samaras, the failed Man City striker, is in the league's second positioned side. Chris Sutton, who couldn't hack it in the Premier League without Shearer to play off was the "big player" up there and Hartson was a big scorer too.

I would take the Scottish stats with a pinch of salt to be honest.
Martin Clark
13   Posted 22/04/2010 at 13:44:50

They make good fill ins if called upon, but Moyes will judge who and when they are ready.

Unless there outstanding they have to wait around like Osman did going out on loan to Derby.

I like the look of Duffy and heard good things about Mustafi as back-up centre backs so hopefully if we bring in anyone it will be a right midfielder like Donovan.
Brian Noble
14   Posted 22/04/2010 at 14:02:07

A mate of mine on the Blackpool Gazette says that the Tangerines are about to make a `healthy bid` for Coleman and the lad has indicated he would like to stay with them permanently. The same source says that the Irishman is viewed as a better player than Gareth Bale and Moyes would be foolish to let him go.

I`m betting he`ll play at Bloomfield Road next season — probably on extended loan.

Andy Crooks
15   Posted 22/04/2010 at 18:46:33

Shane Duffy is a fantastic prospect. I would let Senderos go back and send the message to Duffy that he is on the verge of the first team. He and Coleman are part of the future of Everton. Brian Noble I hope you are wrong.
Tommy Gourlay
16   Posted 23/04/2010 at 11:02:05

We (ok not me) have to stop the short-sightedness of the Scottish Premier League on here (Tony J Williams).....

- Jason Scotland couldn't get a work permit because the SPL board considered him not good enough, he ended up playing in the Scottish 1st division, yet now he gets game time for Wigan.

- -Kevin McDonald (the player from Burnley who went off in the huff to the pub at halftime after being subbed) played for a Scottish 1st division team.

- Samaras is a sub a lot weeks behind some 20 year old nobody.

- Barry Ferguson couldn't get in the Rangers team so left

- James McCarthy the 19 year-old was playing for relegation fodder in the SPL and is now playing for Wigan each week

...there is obviously a lot of rubbish players up here (E.G. Boumsong was fantastic for Rangers) but we shouldn't ignore them all. Back on topic though I thought a shoe-in for save of the season in the SPL and a person that should have been up for young player of the year was a guy called John Ruddy. If we sold Howard now that we have Mucha, if we could only get talent like Ruddy for no money, or rather if only we were the ones loaning him out to Motherwell or something.... ;)
Baz Daly
17   Posted 23/04/2010 at 11:42:37

Not to call this piece a waste of time Rahman, but don't you think that Moyes is considering these players, given that they are already here at Everton?

I'm sure he is well aware of who are the standouts, and is much better placed than us to make the call on them...
Tommy Gourlay
18   Posted 23/04/2010 at 14:14:46

BTW Just to give a little showing of how Jutkiewicz and Ruddy are doing (I have searched for this match videp for donkeys to show on here)....

0:55 on this video has a Jutkiewicz shot (he should be capable of doing this against anyone regardless of standard).

2:50 has a Ruddy triple save, the 3rd save is save of the season for me (he should be capable of doing this against anyone regardless of standard).
Colin Grierson
19   Posted 23/04/2010 at 19:35:55

Sounds to me like there are far too many dudes in our youth set up. Who's in charge, goddamit?
Iain Love
20   Posted 24/04/2010 at 13:42:30

We all saw a fair few of the youngsters at the start of the season, Rodwell looks good enough, Gosling I'm not sure about; Coleman I would like to see more of... and Duffy is worth a sub's spot. All the rest look like Championship level or below.

The key thing about saving money is to keep what we have fit. Wouldn't mind Donovan, N'Zogbia and Bellamy joining us though.

John Lloyd
21   Posted 25/04/2010 at 05:25:49

Coleman as a RM? I'm not even gonna get started on why that is just never gonna happen & shouldn't either!

Baxter comapared to Rooney?? Hahaha... Baxter won't last another season here; for that matter, neither will Kieran Agard or James Wallace.

Lukas will be sold permanently to Motherwell, neither Ruddy or Turner will be our regular number 1 but........

I do agree that Shane Duffy is definitely a prospect & I can't understand why Moyes brought in Senderos rather than blood him earlier in season. You have to play these lads otherwise these 'academies' are the biggest waste of dough since Aquilani!