NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

One more chance!

By Mike Oates :  23/04/2010 :  Comments (34) :
“If we can’t do it, other players are going to look to go elsewhere and look for Champions League football and at this stage in my career it’s something I want to do.”
Not my quote but that of Tim Cahill, at the end of a piece in the Liverpool Echo addressing the need to qualify for the Europa Cup for next season, and failing that, the necessity to qualify for the CL for the 2011-12 season. He also commented “the midfielder admitted that failure to secure Europa League football could be fatal”.

We have reached a very difficult position in the life of Everton, Moyes and the key players —Cahill, Arteta, Rodwell, Pienaar, Fellaini, Heitinga, Jags, Baines etc. In order to keep them all we need to win something or qualify for the CL; even if we do or don’t, our quality players know their value and I suspect in salary terms its probably 20-30% higher in a CL club than they are getting at Everton.

Qualifying for CL “should” if we progress through the first few rounds at least give us the cash to placate their wants, and hopefully keep the majority of the squad together and hopefully we’ll build on that and go forward.

Failure to qualify and/or failure to progress into the later rounds in the CL would mean total disaster. We will not be able to afford the wages and off they would go, we wouldn’t have cash to recruit . We will become the feeder club once again to the rich and famous and hope beyond any chance of reasoning that our new manager – Brian Laws equivalent can assemble a squad over the next 6-7 years which might get us back initially into the Europa Cup, whilst Moyes and the rest of the above are plying their trade across Europe in the CL.

Fate has decreed that we might have missed our opportunity this season, through appalling injuries, bad board management in late player recruitment and bad Moyes management in not sorting out the Lescott affair sooner. The problem we have is that, probably for the first time under Moyes, we have what we all believe is a team/squad capable of matching the current Top 4/6 clubs but it's arrived too late by about 4 weeks to compete this year. However, it has demonstrated that we have quality players who won't wait around for long to try themselves at the top level with the accompanying rewards.

If we only lose Pienaar this time around, I believe we can cope... but in Cahill’s words, we have only one more chance to succeed.

Reader Comments

Ciarán McGlone
1   Posted 23/04/2010 at 18:39:19

Cahill...a blue through and through?

Maybe not.
Christopher McCullough
2   Posted 23/04/2010 at 18:52:09

It would make more financial sense to let Pienaar run his contract out in the hope of qualifying for the CL and risk losing him on a free than cashing in the £15 million this Summer.
Ian Tunstead
3   Posted 23/04/2010 at 19:57:20

He's probably thinking we need another season to qualify for the CL and then the next season to play in it, which probably is the last year or 2 of his contract, so it's all or nothing, now or never for Cahill. But I'm confident we can do it.
Dave Wilson
4   Posted 23/04/2010 at 20:02:09

Cahill is merely stating the obvious, if any of the Sky4 or City or Spurs, dont qualify, they`ll be back the next season and the season after that, throwing endless amounts of cash at it.

We`ll get one shot at the big time, next season may well prove to be our most important to date.
Brendan O'Doherty
5   Posted 23/04/2010 at 20:46:18

The current team has to progress bit by bit, not expect to get to the later stages of the CL in one attempt. First of all, we could do with winning a domestic cup; then at least we'd have a trophy on the board. Second, if do get into 4th spot, we'd then face 3 (I think) qualifying rounds to get into the group stage. That in itself would be a major achievement, and a very rewarding one financially.

To then get out of the group and into the last 16 takes a few attempts, gaining from the experience each time, unless you get a very easy draw (if such a thing exists in the CL). I don't think we should be getting ahead of ourselves in this regard, and I wouldn't read too much into Tim Cahill's quote — he's just being ambitious.

Craig Wilson
6   Posted 23/04/2010 at 22:01:00

Thought we won the league every 24 years so what's the problem? — pointless post!!!!!!
Greg Murphy
7   Posted 24/04/2010 at 01:03:30

I think we just all need to realise that, unless we get a sheikh or an Abramovic that were always going to live in the shadow of Liverpool.

I mean, we've finished above them once in 23 years and even this season, when they're having their worst season for decades, they're above us. We've never won a European Cup, we've won half the league titles they've won.

My favourite night as an Evertonian was the Bayern Munich semi-final in 1985, and Liverpool are playing in an equivalent game next Thursday even though we say they're useless.

Even in their darkest hour, they're better than us and matching the greatest hour in our history. I've finally given up, it's a lost cause. We are in Liverpool's shadow, always have been, always will be.

Matt Traynor
8   Posted 24/04/2010 at 02:18:07

And given the pillorying he gets on here from some quarters, can you see a queue for his signature?

He only left Millwall after they failed to secure promotion to the Prem.

Having been fortunate enough to spend an evening with him, he does come across as someone who likes his surroundings, and not someone who needs to change clubs frequently - he's married with kids. He's resolute about returning to Australia when he's no longer up to top flight football. So given I doubt the top 4 here would go for him, I just don't see him moving to Germany, France, Italy wherever.
Martin Mason
9   Posted 24/04/2010 at 05:15:44

I enjoyed and agree with this piece. There seems to be a convergence now in seeing the reality of Everton's true position in the new world order. This season is make or break, it could give us the momentum we need to get into Europe, keep our best players and attract new blood or it could define us forever as a small feeder club.
Luke Gould
10   Posted 24/04/2010 at 06:18:51

This kind of confuses me. I mean, who's fault is it that Timmy doesn't get the opportunity to play Champions League football? It certainly isn't mine or yours!

If he and the rest of the team are craving European football as badly as they (apparently) say, then the ball is in their court. Even considering our terrible start with form and injuries, we still had the chance to make Europe but seem to have thrown it away even with a near full strength team.

If they want it, 9 points would be a nice way of showing it.

Mike Gwyer
11   Posted 24/04/2010 at 08:39:04

Greg Murphy.

Whats with all the RS loving.

I think Cahill was talking about EFC and qualification for Europe, personally, I did not see any reference to those fuck wits across the park.

For me, I do not give a toss what the RS have won or lost, now or in the past. For me, they are a team in decline.

Tim loves EFC. IMO his next step will probably be back to Aussie and get involved with local football — but that's 2 or 3 years away.

Ray Said
12   Posted 24/04/2010 at 09:06:55

Greg Murphy
I think you are on the wrong site mate. This one is about EVERTON and people here tend not to use phrases like 'Even in their darkest hour, they're better than us and matching the greatest hour in our history. I've finally given up, it's a lost cause. We are in Liverpool's shadow, always have been, always will be'. Taxi for Mr Murphy!!
Keith Edmunds
13   Posted 24/04/2010 at 10:15:51

Mr Murphy's one of them!
Tony I'Anson
14   Posted 24/04/2010 at 10:35:28

After a World Cup year, a season out of Europe may not be a bad thing to get into the CL. But is this how players think?
Christopher McCullough
15   Posted 24/04/2010 at 11:33:45

To the editors.

I love the wide range of disparate opinions on this great EVERTONIAN forum. However, I believe, based on their bitchy little girl comments, that at least one poster on this thread supports Liverpool Football Club. These attempts at covert psychological degradation are simply pathetic.

You should get all dictatorial on their badge/banner ridden redshite asses. Censor them.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
16   Posted 24/04/2010 at 12:53:29

Chris, I guess it's Greg Murphy you're talking about.

I admit to having similar suspicions when I read it first but Greg is an Evertonian and a contributor, posting this thread, for example. And it wasn't so long ago the club itself was telling devoted supporters that "moving out of the shadow of Liverpool FC" was a major reason for Destination Kirkby.

I'm sorry but I don't think his view merits any censorship on my part. Some Evertonians are susceptible to periods of realism and even pessimism; we don't censor for that, I'm afraid.

It's always possible a red relative or friend has usurped Greg's identity but I don't believe that's the case based on the style of writing. I could be wrong... but if it was a genuine post from Greg, your response might be more cause for concern to me...
Christopher McCullough
17   Posted 24/04/2010 at 13:12:08

Fair enough Michael thanks for the reply. Some posts seem more macabre than realistic then..
Andrew Heaton
18   Posted 24/04/2010 at 13:31:16

Thanks for your hard work and commitment, Tim! Enjoy your time at Galatasaray!
Ciarán McGlone
19   Posted 24/04/2010 at 13:55:22

"Tim is now 30. He gives it the "one more season" and we don't make it so he's off to a CL club, at 31."

Joe McMahon
20   Posted 24/04/2010 at 17:30:27

To an extent I agree with Greg Murphy, this is the worst Liverpool team for years, they beat us twice!! Despite what Neviile said pre matches. They WILL find a new owner, it may take some time, but how long have we been for Sale, 24/7???

Also, Andrew Heaton, I tend to agree with you, that's where he will play CL football, maybe in 2 years time.
Ste Traverse
21   Posted 24/04/2010 at 18:22:30

I just hope Tim is trying to get a message through to the clowns 'running' our club about the ambition of the current players.

Also, Mr McGloomy never misses an opportunity to have a pop at Cahill, does he?
Ciarán McGlone
22   Posted 24/04/2010 at 18:34:19

Where did I have a pop at him, Ste?
Lyndon Lloyd
23   Posted 24/04/2010 at 18:48:20

Joe M: "How long have we been for Sale, 24/7??"

Fear not! The rumours (it's about that time of the season) of an imminent takeover are circling again with the whisper du jour being that Sir Phil has lost interest now that Kirkby is off the table. Pinches of salt at the ready...
Alan Clarke
24   Posted 24/04/2010 at 19:46:03

Footballers are thick, they don't bother with any education because they put all their efforts into playing football. Good on 'em but it means you have to put up with typically thick comments like Cahill's in the press.

If Cahill can't secure CL qualification with us next season then the chance will have passed him by. I would like to remind him he was part of the team that lost to Villarreal so it's not like Everton haven't given him that opportunity.
Guy Hastings
25   Posted 24/04/2010 at 21:29:35

I'd love to know what CL team he thinks he could get into on a regular basis...."

Then, "where do I have a pop at TC?'. Right there, matey...
Brendan McLaughlin
26   Posted 25/04/2010 at 00:16:08

I suppose one man's "having a pop" is another's stating the bleeding obvious.
John Lloyd
27   Posted 25/04/2010 at 05:11:26

I saw this article and it wound me up no end!
Let me start by saying I am a bit of a Tim Cahill fan, his attitude towards the club, and his onfield displays have made me champion him for captain in the past.

But....this post made me laugh, like Luke Gould (post 10) who's fault is it that we're not?? — The players on the pitch including himself and these 'stars' we may struggle to hold onto!

I have been thinking in recent weeks, due to Pienaar's contract squabble, that we need to do everything we can to keep him but now I am thinking: offer him what we can & if he doesnt take it then fuck him off for money? If I remember rightly when Gravesen left we brought in Arteta on loan... didn't turn out too bad did it??

Players have too much to say these days, if it's not Phil Neville telling me to get up for a game that I HAVE PAID to see or Leon Osman telling me to get off Hibbert's back, it's now Cahill telling me the 'stars' might leave if we don't qualify for Europe??

Think some of these players need reminding that they're playing for OUR CLUB! And we will be here long after they've fucked off to enjoy the millions that we fucking paid them!!!

DO YOUR TALKING ON THE PITCH & IF YOU DON'T WANNA BE HERE........ FUCK OFF!
Ciarán McGlone
28   Posted 25/04/2010 at 10:52:00

"I suppose one man's "having a pop" is another's stating the bleeding obvious."
-------------------

Thank you Brendan. But I fear that rather obvious point may be lost on some.
Peter Warren
29   Posted 26/04/2010 at 10:56:47

Ciaran - I think Cahill is a total blue

"at this stage of my career it's something I want to do" — I don't see why that means he's not a blue? Of course, he's desperate to get to CL, he warns that players could be off etc. I don't see this as meaning that he will be off; for one, I am doubtful whether any CL clubs would buy him anyway at 31 — and no doubt he knows this as well.
Paul Oakes
30   Posted 29/04/2010 at 06:28:22

Christopher McCullough — about Steven Pienaar.

His agent pretty much cleared the whole thing up by saying that "A new deal must be completed before the World Cup starts, otherwise Steven will be looking to potentially move on elsewhere. We won't allow Everton to capitalize on Steven having a great World Cup and cashing in. One way or another his contract will be sorted out, whether they (Everton) choose to renew his contract or not, Steven has indicated he would be more than happy to stay at Everton, so it's up to that club to finalize his new contract."

Well, since the World Cup is nearly upon us, about 7 weeks now approx without looking, and still no news that we have sorted out his contract, and knowing how we always dally about things such as this, I believe we'll sell him but not for the amount we could have got after the World Cup, sad really. I'd like Peanuts to stay really, but I think we'll probably cash in. You don't leave one of your best players out in the dark and say, "Hey, it's ok, we have another year left," when the agent says, "Sort it or we'll sort out a new contract without you at another club."
Paul Oakes
31   Posted 29/04/2010 at 06:35:41

Peter Warren - Unless cahill gets to the champs league with us, he wont be seeing it. Its as simple as that, can't see anyone needing or wanting cahill at united, city , arsenal or chelsea, let alone at spurs.
Greg Murphy
32   Posted 25/06/2010 at 19:04:17

This is possibly the longest delayed reply in TW history!

But I can confirm that the above post (to which I was alerted only this week) was not by me (i.e. the "Greg Murphy" as referenced by Michael above).

I guess there's two of us, then, Greg!
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
33   Posted 25/06/2010 at 20:59:21

Greg, that’s very odd. I believe #7 was a comment that the system recognized as coming from someone logged in as you (and so lists your same e.mail), although I see now that the IP Address is different from the great many that are associated with your posts:

92.27.28.217

All of yours begin with 81 or 86. It’s the only post we have on record from that IP address, and it is quite well constructed to at least look like an Evertonian wrote it. And they must have got your password too… very odd. Methinks you must have rare knowledge of a bright and smart Kopite amongst your circle of so-called friends!

Of course, I coulda got this all wrong… Lyndon’s the expert!
Greg Murphy