NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

So it begins....

By Rupert Sullivan :  29/04/2010 :  Comments (42) :
Welcome to the amazing world of the Transfer Window; brought to you by your special club Everton.

Over the next three months you will be able to delight at the complete lack of information from your club, revel in the absence of any comprehensible PR strategy, and be dazzled by constantly missed opportunities for publicity.

Everton will announce plans to travel around the world, and will not actually confirm them in sufficient time to allow you to book your travel to join them. Players will be trotted out to remind you, the fan, about how not being in European competition next year is a good thing.

Book now and receive your free taster of exasperation: the buying / non-buying of a Portuguese footballer. Everton FC will completely fail to tell you, the fan, anything at all about this purchase / non-purchase, will make no attempt to gain publicity on this matter by making an Official Statement to the news agencies, but will nevertheless publish a rumour about this purchase on the Official Everton Website.

Do we really have to suffer this same roller coaster EVERY SINGLE FUCKING YEAR?

When will the PR/ Marketing department of Everton FC grow up? I mean have EFC bought a young player from Portugal, or have they not? Yesterday, LFC bought a young player from Charlton, this was all over the web, the BBC Website etc — good publicity for the boy and for Liverpool. This was followed up by two articles on the BBC website, an article and then a headed section on the Guardian football website, links to the LFC official site — and all for a Charlton player that is unlikely to get a game for the first team for a couple of years. This is then linked to the fact that LFC are going to play with their Sponsor written on the shirt in Chinese this weekend to celebrate the fact that Liverpool (the city) are participating in the World Expo this year in China.

Publicity worth £1.7M do you think???

And Everton...? For two days now, rumours have been bounced around concerning this lad for EFC and the club say nothing — not a dickie bird... but then go and re-publish the rumour on the OS. I can understand not wanting to announce something that isn't true, OK; I can understand wanting to wait until a deal is finalised, OK; I can even understand (although I don't agree with) not pushing a minor purchase, wanting to wait for a 'marquee' name and therefore not making a public statement, OK; I can understand keeping things quiet for other reasons and therefore not pushing an Everton story on all the official news channels….

But what I don't understand and what drives me absolutely fucking mental is why then then do all of this and then go and publish the rumours about the sale / purchase on their rumour section on the Official Website!!!! I mean, come on... either it is true and say so — get a piccy of him with a shirt, publish his life story, get some inches in the tabloids or on the net — fine... or don't mention it at all and keep quiet. But to shove a rumour about the purchase on your website is ridiculous.

It is a little bit like, say, oh I don’t know... officially announcing to your fans that you might be travelling to Australia in the summer, maybe... for a couple of games... maybe three, possibly... if it all comes off, in a little while, perhaps... – Gee, thanks for letting me know! I’ll just tell Quantas that I’ll maybe, possibly, be needing perhaps a couple of plane tickets in a bit, perhaps, if I’m lucky!

Last year, practically the only publicity Everton made for itself concerned the Kirkby debacle — publicity which although raising the profile of Everton led to such wonderful own goals as the Local MP saying that Walton would be better off without the club!!

Do Everton FC have an aversion to positive publicity? Is there no-one who works for the club who understands the power of having your club name mentioned all over the world? Do they not recognise that mere pictures of a player with ‘Chang’ written on his chest might mean that Everton can ask for more money next time they renegotiate? Do they not want to have the name Everton echo with people when then hear of the city of Liverpool?

Who exactly is running the PR/ Marketing for Everton FC? – the EFC Policy seems to be See nothing, Hear nothing, Say nothing... so maybe it is those three monkeys…

On second thought, Everton couldn’t afford three… but I’m sure it’s a monkey.

Reader Comments

Phil Martin
1   Posted 29/04/2010 at 14:17:14

Rupert, I totally agree!

I don't know who heads up Marketing, I know Ian Ross is PR. But ultimately they report to Elstone. So why would an experienced CEO not be ripping down walls to get Everton some positive coverage? Even if it is a youngster for the future.

It's just another display of the backward, disjointed way our club is ran (or not in this case) like a business.

Are we also releasing a a new shirt this year? Because every other club has already released photos with dates advertisied when their respective kits will all be stocked.
Everton though??? Well, answers on a postcard.
I bet Billy K is probably designing it again, just like the away kit last year. "Nearly there — just wan't to add some brown stripes this time."
Alan Kirwin
2   Posted 29/04/2010 at 14:21:31

Chill pill?

Most of us don't anticipate much or anything on transfer front as WE DO NOT HAVE ANY SPARE CASH. Focus on what you have & you'll be less frustrated. And by the way, what we have is not bad at all.
Colin Potter
3   Posted 29/04/2010 at 14:22:50

I wholeheartedly agree, Rupert, 100%.

Everton, the way they carry on about the things you mention, must be the worst run club in the premiership. The whole board are an utter disgrace, from top to bottom.

Ciarán McGlone
4   Posted 29/04/2010 at 14:48:56

Haha...

I'd prefer it if we heard nothing from our beloved guardians... Because I think we're skint.

But I fear we're in for a summer of hilarious high-jinks, where our expectations are continually inflated and deflated.

Kenwright is already 'scoffing' at the suggestion that Moyes will be going to United...
Richard Dodd
5   Posted 29/04/2010 at 14:59:52

Couldn`t agree with you more. Everton`s PR machine rejoices in cocking things up. The Chairman, Board and supporters are ill-served by it but only the two first-named can do anything about it!
Dick Anderson
6   Posted 29/04/2010 at 15:09:36

The official site only reports on completed deals. So far they have not reported on anything about this Portugese player. That says to me that negoiations are still ongoing. Once the deal is complete I'm sure the office website will report on it.

Personally, I never believe any rumor until I see it on the Official website. I'm glad that the Official Website only reports on done deals. I don't want to hear about the deals that nearly went through. Only inform me when the deal is done.

I completely agree with the Official Website's policy.
Peter Warren
7   Posted 29/04/2010 at 15:13:28

Agree totally — a complete joke.

The best (or worst) has to be when they announced and paraded Kanchelskis as a signing then a couple of weeks later hadn't actually quite signed him ....
Steve Hopkins
8   Posted 29/04/2010 at 15:19:09

Sorry Peter but I'd argue that the worst example of this surely has to be the 'signing' of Riquelme does it not??
Andrew Ellams
9   Posted 29/04/2010 at 15:26:02

At least it will be a distraction from all those pictures of David Beckham not playing in the World Cup.
Dick Anderson
10   Posted 29/04/2010 at 15:31:01

My favourite all-time Everton transfer fuck up was Ever Banega.

Everton applied for a work permit for the player and were refused. So they went to all the trouble of appealing that decision and somehow managed to get the home office to change their minds and grant the work permit.

After all that trouble, Everton finally had a work permit for the player only to find that he had no intention of leaving his present club and signing for Everton. Classic.
Andrew Ellams
11   Posted 29/04/2010 at 15:40:59

What about Mike Walker and Muller. I remember watching the news conference on Sky Sports and the player pulled out at the last minute. Very embarrassing.
Mike Elbey
12   Posted 29/04/2010 at 15:47:29

Dick,

I think the point of Rupert's article is that the OS have effectively commented on the rumour by publishing the said rumour on the website. What Rupert is saying is either have the story on the site properly or not at all — and I think that is a fair point.

Regarding botched transfers, Eva Benega was a classic cock-up. Also, do you remember when we flew that Brazilian Nunez or someone over only to find out when he got to Goodison that he expected his salary to be net of tax!! Suffice to say he was on the next plane home. Not our fault the club protested; after all, why would we need to ascertain a player's wage demands before he flew over from Brazil...!!!!!
Paul Conatzer
13   Posted 29/04/2010 at 16:02:02

Everton's PR and marketing is terrible, especially here in the US. Arsenal doesn't even have a US player on the team, but they have an official website for American fans. If Everton were to set up a website for US fans, I'd happily update it and write for it. (I used to be a sports journalist.)

There are Everton fans here because of Tim Howard and if we sign the Mexican kid, that's another huge market to tap in. (There's lots of Hispanic kids here and they love the footie.) But, I despair of any modern marketing moves from Everton...

Gareth Humphreys
14   Posted 29/04/2010 at 15:57:31

Talk about a non-story.... We obviously haven't signed him or we would have announced it. At the moment, it is a rumour and as such is in the "What the papers say" section of the site.

Should Everton have announced the signing in view of the aforementioned cock ups? Damned if you do and damned if you don't, methinks.
Phil Martin
15   Posted 29/04/2010 at 16:31:01

Gareth,

I think the main gripe is that the OS references the rumour. Almost every paper and Sports Broadcaster are saying it's a done deal. The player himself is also (according to his quote) claiming he has signed. Yet the OS refuses to confirm or deny the story.
IMO the deal is probably still being negogiated and our (quite sensible) paranoia about the deal being hijacked by another club. Is dictating that the club says nothing. But then why put the rumour on the site in the first place?

The criticisms about bungled summer tours and lack of market penetration (like in the US) are the bigger more worrying issues.
Matthew Mackey
16   Posted 29/04/2010 at 16:36:51

Rupert,
Thank you for your thoughts. Can I just say a few words in response.........
Fuckin chill out, son! Jeez, I just wanna slit my wrists after reading this.

How do you know that Everton are any worse that 99% of other clubs in the way they do business during the silly season?

There's too little talent out there and too many poachers ready to poach. Keeping your powder dry is therefore the order of the day. Would you rather we became the next Portsmouth, buy anything that moves and end up two years down the line in administration? No...I didn't think you would because that's reckless isn't it.

I've said it on here before, let the manager have some breathing space, don't crucify a man before he's done anything wrong and for fuck's sake, chill out will ya!
If you don't like the way that business is being conducted when we're once again counting the pennies then simple — don't read it and don't listen to it!
Every pre-season there seems to be an army of Evertonians ready to knife Moyes in the back yet every season he seems to come up trumps and deliver another good season under difficult circumstances.

Chill, chill, chill and enjoy your summer!

Steve Hopkins
17   Posted 29/04/2010 at 16:50:33

I for one have never been a fan of the 'What the papers say' section on the OS, I belive that the OS should be for FACTS pure and simple no rumour and no hear say. Toffeeweb is the place I go to whet my appetite for superstar transfers and when I visit the OS (increasingly rarely these days), I want to see cold hard facts and interviews with players and the manager.
Tony McNulty
18   Posted 29/04/2010 at 16:57:09

I agree with many of the sentiments in this post and I certainly wouldn’t defend some of what does or does not emerge from Goodison Park by way of information.

However …

When I first started supporting the Blues we had Harry Catterick as manager. He was a canny fox in many ways and whilst other clubs would talk about deals in the press, he would suddenly pull a rabbit out of the hat and a star would be announced as signed, sealed and delivered, often with no prior rumours nor preamble. Of course, it was easier back then without agents.

But I do remember the day it was announced on the radio that we had signed Howard Kendall. The press had been full of reports that the RS were about to get him. I was in the company of an RS supporter when the radio announcer said: “Howard Kendall has today signed ..” “We’ve got him”, shouted the RS fan. “… for Everton.” Stunned silence (from him).

What annoys me is the endless tattle in the press (not all the club’s fault) followed by no delivery or, even worse, as happened a few years’ ago, the target ends up signing for the Shite.

Actually it is one of the few things the Waiter has ever said that I agree with: “If you’re going to do it, don’t talk about it, get on with it.”
Alan Williams
19   Posted 29/04/2010 at 17:36:49

Oh great, here we go again... same old crap from the very positive perfectionists we have as supporters.

Some people just don’t understand it at all; EFC has a website in mandarin (China) — isn’t that larger than USA? Last time I checked the OS, it was in English; last time I visited USA (which was only a couple of months ago) I’m sure they spoke the same language, please enlighten me?

EFC is a small company with a limited budget, because Arsenal have it doesn’t mean we can afford it. Get your fingers out of your own arses and wake up to the real world please.

EFC haven’t officially signed a new player so you slag them off for not telling us we have not officially signed a new player. No matter what EFC and the board do, you all have your say and always give a better reason on how it should be done...

Please give the club and its officials some slack, we have limited funds and expertise; we are not a global brand nor can we be one without long-term investment in a marketing strategy. Sadly we are living hand to mouth so the direction of the club and its revenue will always be short term as apposed to long term. That’s not ideal at all but it's reality!!! COYB

Daniel Miller
20   Posted 29/04/2010 at 18:09:15

What exactly is your point? That Everton don't go full coverage on something that hasn't been achieved. And even if it was — who cares what the national press make of it?
Paul Foster
21   Posted 29/04/2010 at 18:27:32

He still plays for another club and Everton have had the decency to respect this. When we've actually signed him and he no longer plays for Desportivo Aves, the club will doubtlesly announce it.

How this has policy has riled you I do not know.
Andy Crooks
22   Posted 29/04/2010 at 19:25:49

Richard Dodd, the recent addition to your family (congratulations by the way) seems to have had a radical effect on your thinking. Welcome aboard.
Dave Wilson
23   Posted 29/04/2010 at 19:44:00

Here`s a new idea to raise some dosh for footballers.

Why dont we just get rid of the next man to hoof the ball aimlessly down the park so fast, he thinks he`s been fired out of a canon, then do the same with the next man, then do . . well actually there wont be a next man, we will be cured.

OK its not a new idea, its a dressed up version of the one I couldnt get through the house a couple of weeks ago . . .but its still a better idea than anyone else has come up with.
Andy Crooks
24   Posted 29/04/2010 at 20:02:31

Dave, I know you mean Jags is the first one. Who is number two? Incidentally you touched, on another thread, the theme for the article you really should be writing i.e having played the game makes one a better judge of it. I'm sitting here with ,in my biased view,a brilliant response to it.So,write it and lets have a debate.
Phil Bellis
25   Posted 29/04/2010 at 20:31:44

Still fondly remember being in London and reading on the back of the Mirror "Ranger Scott Signs For Spurs"... Catterick struck again.
Max Main
26   Posted 29/04/2010 at 20:45:01

This is mental.

I just had to read about a thousand words to find out that basically you don't understand what a rumour section on a website is?

Cheers for that.
Dave Wilson
27   Posted 29/04/2010 at 20:57:45

Andy, I will do it, probably when work slows up a bit.

In the meantime I`ll try to work out if you`ll be defending or prosecuting.

Jay Harris
28   Posted 29/04/2010 at 21:24:09

Rupert, I totally agree with you. It has been our achilles Heel for years but don't forget Bill is still taking the begging bowl around to get the first £5,000 installment.
Trevor Lynes
29   Posted 29/04/2010 at 23:24:03

Im' sure that BK knows how to advertise theatre tickets but, having just got back from Las Vegas (despite the volcanic ash), I must admit that it is pretty galling when I see Liverpool football shirts on sale at the show mall and no one seems to have even heard of EFC despite us having Tim Howard as a regular keeper and Landon on loan....????

It is really a pain in the ARSE to have to explain to US citizens that Liverpool City have two top teams and that EFC were the original team. I have worked all over the Middle East and have converted Sudanese, Egyptians and Yemenis to become EFC fans... BUT... they had never heard of us until I explained our history.

Liverpool on the other hand are touted everywhere as are quite a few other Premier League teams who are NOT in the top four....so there must be a hell of a lot wrong with our PR people.

As far as transfers go... we are possibly the least mentioned of all Premier League clubs as being active participants... God only knows where clubs beneath us get their money from as not all have wealthy benefactors.

AMBITION is not in the club management's vocabulary and it's no wonder we have a hard time hanging on to ambitious youngsters who want to win things during their careers.

The LOYAL players tend to be the least ambitious or less gifted unless they are already at a top four side. I am sure that Neville, Howard, Hibbert, Osman and Cahill will stay forever as they can play if they turn up in most cases... It's money for old rope!!

James Stewart
30   Posted 30/04/2010 at 00:45:07

Paul Conatzer Spot on. And Trevor too. I have been to the States quite a lot for work and it always pisses me off.

You can add Australia as an untapped market too though. Cahill is a legend there but is seen as an Australian legend rather than an Everton one.

We are a club run by idiots. DM aside. We do have a small club mentality and we are crying out for someone with some PR skills! In today's current media climate where everything is interactive, the OS is a joke. I think I can count the number of times I have been on it in the last month on one hand. Out of touch.

Jamie Sweet
31   Posted 30/04/2010 at 01:49:42

I thought I could wait for a couple of weeks before thinking about it - but thanks to this article, that's it... This is where it begins indeed.

I hate this time of year... I already know it's going to drive me to despair / alcohol.

I blame Everton for much of it - pre-season does seem to be rather shambolic recently. I also blame every website which tries to attract internet traffic by publishing ridiculous transfer rumours and gossip.

But mainly, I blame myself for getting swept up in the whole bloody circus - I just can't help myself. "Wow - www.stupidsoccergossip.com says we're signing Jonny Kickaball". Cue visits to official site - nothing. Visit toffeeweb, locate rumour mill... find small article saying there's a stupid rumour we're signing Jonny but we've got no money so how could we be. Stop there? No. Visit Youtube... search for every clip available of Jonny to do my own scouting evaluation. Find clip of Jonny shinning one in from three yards out. Think to myself "could just be the fox in the box we need".

Three weeks later... Spurs sign Jonny.

And repeat....

I'm an idiot and I hate pre-seasons for annually exposing me as one!

Surely it will be different this year though? Right?
Max Main
32   Posted 30/04/2010 at 01:49:26

This article/thread annoys me massively.

What do you want, seriously? I haven't heard a single suggestion yet - unless you count a vague suggestion for an American version of the official site, which is not a good idea.

There are no Everton shirts in the shops in Las Vegas. Are there Villa shirts? Fulham? Bournemouth? Come on. There are Man U and Chelsea shirts because they win things. We don't. Nobody in America wants to buy an Everton shirt. Can you imagine the phone call?

"Hi, USA Sports, this is John calling from Everton FC in the UK. Would you like to buy some of our replica shirts to sell in your store?"

"Everton?"

"Yes, Everton, we're an English footb-sorry soccer team"

"I've never heard of Everton. Have you won anything recently?"

"Well...not recently, but..."

"Do you have any players I'd have heard of?"

"Tim Howard, USA goalie"

"Name rings a bell, but do goalie jerseys sell a lot?"

"Well we had Landon Donovan"

"Oh awesome, everyone loves Landon...wait a minute, had?"

"Yeah, for ten weeks, he's gone now but..."

"It's a no."

What is this great PR venture you envisage? TV commercials with Phil Neville holding a USA flag? Pretty sure we've toured USA the last couple of summers, playing against an all star MLS team too - that's actual real life PR. And now apparently we're touring Australia. I expect some people will go to the games because we have the Australian captain and because the games will be in public...

"Liverpool are touted everywhere". What does that even mean? Are there literally touts on the streets speaking the good word of Anfield? Or is it just that you see the odd Liverpool shirt because they're one of the two most successful clubs in English football history?

Come on, seriously, any actual suggestions rather than just saying we're "run by idiots"?
Paul Oakes
33   Posted 30/04/2010 at 05:35:12

I always thought EFC playing at Goodison Park, England not the US. Personally I have no time for America, I really don't. It's a mediocre market at best with very mediocre teams.

The Far East is where it's at and that's all that matters and it's there we should be focusing on, sadly we never go there to take part in friendlies or competitions like Spurs, City or even Hull do, that's our market outside of the UK and we can't even be bothered with it.

As for the OP, some people are reading but not comprehending what the poster said. The site should be for stating facts only, not for speculation, that's why sites like this exist and flourish.
Eugene Ruane
34   Posted 30/04/2010 at 07:50:26

Max Main, you say you 'had' to read a thousand words' blah blah.

No you didn't, you could have stopped after 'lack of information' in the second line,

By the way, you produced paragraphs yourself just to say 'this article annoyed me'

This piece in my opinion is valid and 100% bang on the money.

Mind you, we're obviously making some headway in the States, judging by all the teenage Californians posting on here.

(nb: I don't know for SURE they're teenage Californians, but who else uses 'chill'. and 'chill pill'...dude?)
Max Main
35   Posted 30/04/2010 at 12:17:37

Oh Eugene. I don't want to be one of those people who takes up a whole thread quoting and being quoted, but you're just wrong so I suppose I'll show you why.

I had to read the whole article to see if it was going anywhere. How was I to know it wasn't?

I didn't produce paragraphs to say this article annoyed me. I said that in one sentence at the start and then went on to say why it annoyed me, and asked for suggestions from people who had annoyed me.

I don't expect to actually get any suggestions, of course.
Rob Hollis
36   Posted 30/04/2010 at 13:28:12

You could spend your money marketing the club and sell some tat around the world or you could spend what you have on players and win something.

Once you win something or are near the top of the league etc. you are on TV lots.

This markets you around the world free.

I don't really care how many people in America know of Everton. Football is a minor sport over there. I care about us winning something. Man Utd and Liverpool are big brands. This has attracted American cowboys to put the clubs in a financial mess.

Success!
Rob Hollis
37   Posted 30/04/2010 at 13:49:26

'WHAT YOU HAVE' An embarrasing typo
Eugene Ruane
38   Posted 30/04/2010 at 15:10:15

Max, you say..

"Oh Eugene. I don't want to be one of those people who takes up a whole thread quoting and being quoted, but you're just wrong so I suppose I'll show you why".

Rather like pulling out a gun and saying I don't want to be one of those people who shoots guns....BANG!

Although I did admire your 'reason' - "you're just wrong!"

Touché Oscar!

Fact: You had a go at someone for taking their time to make their point and then blathered on saying something that could have been said in two sentences.

You can bullshit and deny it all you want, but you'll be (ready for this?) 'just wrong!"

Max Main
39   Posted 30/04/2010 at 16:52:10

God, it's almost impossible to have a debate on this website as it always turns into childish and tedious arguments over semantics, hence the comment about quoting and being quoted.

Just forget it. I am not conceding that you are right, but I can't be bothered to continue this.

All I wanted was people to back up their points with suggestions for improvements. Interestingly Rupert made some suggestions in his latest article. I didn't think much of them but at least he bloody tried.
Eugene Ruane
40   Posted 30/04/2010 at 19:51:10

Kevin!.........Perry's here.
Karl Masters
41   Posted 02/05/2010 at 10:15:54

There are plenty of things wrong with EFC off the pitch, but this article is way over the top.

Winning things will generate the interest worldwide.

In the meantime, we have an Asian shirt sponsor, have toured USA in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and this year are going to tour Australia. We have the most famous players in Australia, Nigeria and South Africa on our books and have had the star player of the US team on loan a matter of weeks ago. We also have high profile players in their own countries from Belgium, Holland & Spain, have a mandarin version of the website and had 'China's David Beckham' playing for us a while back — remember 900 million Chinese watching our game against Boro in September 2002?

And I'm interested in how EXACTLY you feel we can tap into these markets until we win something.

It could be better, I'm sure, but it could certainly be much worse as well.

Oh, and whilst Rupert seems to know all about Jonjo Shelvey, LFC shirts in Mandarin or whatever, I hadn't heard anything about it whatsoever. Actually, all I had heard on the subject of them and young players was one of their people saying their Academy is crap.... again something you cannot say of Everton. Rupert claims £1.7M spent is cheap for 'all that publicity' — well it hasn't been noticed much by me and probably, I suspect, many others, so maybe not so good as he thinks?
Jim Harrison
42   Posted 02/05/2010 at 15:21:48

I have just spent 2 weeks in Thailand, home of our sponsors, and saw no evidence of Everton whatsoever. As could be expected, Man U and Liverpool shirts, and loads of Chelsea strips, posters featuring these same teams, but not one Everton strip, advertising poster in sight. Chang advertise outside every bar, no mention of their connection.

Singa beer has 1/3 of their cans taken over by Manchester city players and a proclamation of their proud association with the club!

Met another fan overthere who had the same experiences (Hi, Phil), both of us unable to understand how our main commercial connection isn't exploited in any way at all in the country where it has greatest presence?