NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

What would you be happy with?

By Martin Clark :  24/05/2010 :  Comments (31) :
With all the gossip and transfer links doing the rounds, I was considering what I'd be happy with come the beginning of next season.

It seems we have little transfer kitty, so would be happy to start the season with pretty much what we'd finished with.

A few changes are bound to happen as Mucha is a straight swap for Nash. Shame for Ruddy and Turner as it must have felt like a slap in the face, but Moyes must not believe they are ready.

Senderos seems to be advertising himself to other teams suggesting he's moving on. Not much of a loss but he is free and with the timeframe of Duffy's recovery unsure, wouldn't be much of a gamble.

I think it might be time to sell Yobo. I remember how exciting a signing he was and he was a favourite of mine but has become vulnerable to lapses in concentration and is not a first choice anymore. We could also get a few million for Yobo and replace him with Jan Vertonghen, who's been linked, or someone similar who would be an improvement and more versatile.

Arteta and Pienaar have been strongly linked to other clubs but I have a feeling that Arteta will stay, hopefully this is the case. I would also like to believe that Pienaar would still be around next season but I am doubtful. He has declined Everton's latest offer, which you'd have thought would have been the best Everton could afford, so he seems to be looking to move on and use the World Cup to showcase his talent.

I believed a settled side that had such a successful second half of the season is one strength we can afford to have. But if Pienaar does leave, I'd hope to replace him with Moutinho or Hazard. Though it would be great but I think they'd want European football.

It would also be nice to bring Landon Donovan back as he made Everton seem dangerous from both wings.

It would be fantastic if Everton were able to invest and add to the squad without losing from it. Imagine having Landon and Moutinho to choose from alongside Fellaini, Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Rodwell, Osman and Bily. It would be a pleasant midfield selection headache!

Just need Yakubu to get his hunger back!

Reader Comments

Colin Potter
1   Posted 24/05/2010 at 14:33:20

First of all, I would like to see Moyes tell Pienaar he has 2 weeks to make his mind up, whether he wants to go or stay. If it's the former, tell the rest of the Premier League at once, and get him sold. There was enough disruption over Lescott last year. We don't need it.

Also, if Moyes can get 2, 3 or 4 good players in, whether they be on loan or on the HP, and with good all round tactics, and 100% effort every match, I will be expecting at least 4th place! After what we did to United and Chelsea, and Arsenal at the Emirates, I don't think I am being too unreasonable.

Alasdair Mackay
2   Posted 24/05/2010 at 14:53:41

I am confused by all this Moutinho talk all of a sudden. We don't need another central midfielder. Arteta, Fellaini, Rodwell, Heitinga, Neville, Osman, Bilyaletdinov and Cahill can all do a good job there.

If we lose Pienaar, we need to replace his wing play. We were so dangerous last year when we had Pienaar and Donovan down the two flanks. If Pienaar goes, we need Donovan and another quick winger. We also need a proven goalscorer.

After that, it is back up. Assuming we get Beckford to add to Mucha, we just need a Ledley-type versatile midfield squad player.

In terms of achievement next season — with the right transfer deals in and out we should be aiming for 3rd.
Ciarán McGlone
3   Posted 24/05/2010 at 15:53:56

We need the right and left wing sorted by the start of the season... And not with Vic or Osman.

Getting this balance is the priority... it's bloody obvious.
Jamie Morgan
4   Posted 24/05/2010 at 16:30:29

Right now I would be happy with just keeping everyone at the club, getting them fit and playing our strongest side.

But being realistic I would agree with Ciaran and go with wingers with pace. If we add Mucha and Beckford on frees, possibly Petrov on a free too. Then spunk whatever funds we have on Donovan. (Or Wright-Phillips?)
Mike Green
5   Posted 24/05/2010 at 16:45:52

Peinaar and Yakubu out.

Petrov, Donovan and Bellamy in.

Title in the bag.
Chad Schofield
6   Posted 24/05/2010 at 16:39:31

I agree with everything you say, Martin, right up to the final line... Well, unless he gets a taste for Slim Fast.

I'm not sure forcing Pienaar to sign or leave is really necessary. Yes, the World Cup will be his showcase, but if he does well then we can demand more money for him, of course not as much as we'd like but we did only pay £2.5M for him if I remember correctly. I agree with many above that wingers are required, though I think we'd be more likely to land the likes of Joe Ledley from Cardiff.

Rodwell is obviously a massive boost and hopefully Arteta will follow suit, but we're going to be hard pushed to bag players who are desperate for European football.
Jay Harris
7   Posted 24/05/2010 at 17:13:01

As Pienaar seems intent on leaving I would love to get Benayoun from the RS maybe even on a swap deal as they seem intent on overpaying players wages.

As Kieran said that would leave the wide right needing to be better covered and as I dont think Donovan would come permanently what about another free from next Jan to help the run in to the title.

I am assuming that we will get our most critical position covered by selling Yobo and getting somebody of the ability of Vertonghen
to shore up our overleaky defence.
David Hallwood
8   Posted 24/05/2010 at 18:22:06

Right mid is No 1 priority; like a lot of the posters I'd like Donovan. If Pienaar goes, that wide left is also a priority, a striker and a back up LB for Baines.
Selby Wells
9   Posted 24/05/2010 at 18:25:00

I'd be happy if all of the players return from their summer hols or the World Cup injury-free.

On the transfer front, it seems inevitable that Vaughan will go as unfortunately he's never fit enough to contribute to the squad. Beckford will be the one to replace him, which is a good piece of business because, if it doesn't work out, we can always sell him to a Championship club for a couple of million.

Hopefully, Pienaar will stay but if he goes, I agree with some of the other posts that we need to sign two quick wingers to make up (as we're already in dire need of one for the right). With any luck, Donovan will be one.

Also agree that Yobo's time is up as well and we need to sign a replacement CH who has a bit of pace as the others in the squad don't have any.

But if Pienaar signs a new contract with possibly a new winger as well, we'll be in good shape.

COYB
Dennis Stevens
10   Posted 24/05/2010 at 18:36:04

Surely Micky Hazard must be getting a bit long in the tooth now?
Andy Crooks
11   Posted 24/05/2010 at 18:56:28

The idea that we are aiming for third is, frankly, ludicrous. We were not good enough last season by some distance. Injuries are not an excuse, we will have more this season, the same as most clubs. Our squad lacks depth and, in some departments, raw talent.

Moutinho? Where on earth is the money coming from for him or for anyone else? Last season was as good as it gets without radical change. I am reluctant to suggest what that change should be as there are far too many Evertonians content with some of the awful stuff we have had to put up with.

Please, Michael, can you not abandon the rumour mill unless it is to suggest that Scharner is coming here because that is the most likely signing we will make.

Tommy Gibbons
12   Posted 24/05/2010 at 19:31:07

Andy Crooks... for godsake man, if you can't say anything good..Don't bother...
Take a few weeks off and enjoy the weather... Oh, and to refresh your memory... for the 2nd half of the season, we had virtually our full strength team and were 3rd in the current form table... stands to reason then that with a full squad and best 11 available for a whole season 3rd is a distinct possibility.

In my opinion, the best quote of the season re Everton was from Harry Redknapp when he stated (with around 5/6 games to play) that he was glad Everton had such a bad start because he believed we would have been at least challenging for fourth...

Roberto Birquet
13   Posted 24/05/2010 at 20:19:03

Just gonna repeat what others say. Right-mid — and yes, I want it to be Donovan. If the chatter earlier this year was right and £6M or so would do it via a buyout of contract, then it's a no-brainer. He'd shift merchandise in the US and if we negotiate our rights on that, there should be no bother.

The backup for Baines: 0It might be worth having Hibbert as much for CB back up from what I saw last year. I'd like to see Coleman given a few games, especially Carling Cup.

I have never expected Pienaar to stay, just hope we get good money for him, so we can bring in a good attacking mid.

We only need a striker if the Yak is still lost. Moyes will know; for now, I'd be happy to see him given another chance.
Roberto Birquet
14   Posted 24/05/2010 at 20:24:32

Andy Crooks;
There were two schols of thought last season: We bombed because of (unusually large amount of) injuries, or we were just not good enough.

We came back to a normal amount of injuries in the second half, and the debate was concluded. You were and remain wrong.
Dennis Stevens
15   Posted 24/05/2010 at 21:21:41

Third, Andy? I would say 1st! However, I suspect you don't have faith in the "24-year rule" ...... if you know your history ......
Davie Turner
16   Posted 24/05/2010 at 21:19:31

What I hope for the summer, assuming we keep our main players now, is Donovan (or a strong right sided winger) and a new physio.

If Pienaar was to leave, and if that was going to be to someone like Man CIty, even though I think the lad is an idiot to put it mildly, for some reason I like the idea of Bellamy coming in to the side.

As for next season, rather than position I usually look to points to judge a season. 60 points for me is the marker for a 'good' season and anything below is to me going to feel disappointing.

As for position, I hope we are in the mix for the Champions League places when it comes to those last few games of the season; if so, that for me will be a very good season, though a good cup run and I am chuffed to bits... pick up a cup and I will be over the moon.
Mike Elbey
17   Posted 24/05/2010 at 22:57:03

To those saying Moutinho is a central midfielder — he has played regularly for both Lisbon and Portugal as the left sided player of a front 3. He would be ideal to replace Pienaar if we were to lose him but much would depend on whether we could con Appy Arry into paying over the odds for Pienaar.

I would love us to keep the current squad and sign Donavan along with a couple of freebies like Ledley and Bekford. If we did this, I believe we would be one of 6 teams competing for places 3 - 8.

However, I worry that we may lose both Pienaar and Arteta. With those twats at City circling over Arteta, it is a big concern. Mikky may want to be loyal but doubling his wages and not having to move may be too much to resist as it was for Lescott. If we lose Pienaar and Arteta, we will finish no higher than 8th.
Roberto Birquet
18   Posted 25/05/2010 at 00:00:50

Jeez Dennis....

"Third, Andy? I would say 1st! However, I suspect you don't have faith in the "24 year rule" ...... if you know your history ......"

You bloody statto; did you do that by yerself? Thought I was obsessed....

James Stewart
19   Posted 25/05/2010 at 01:08:29

If Arteta stays with us and plays a full season injury-free, everything else will fall into place around that.
Bob Parrington
20   Posted 25/05/2010 at 01:04:38

Agree with Ciaran (#3). We need to have the left and right threat balance by the start of the season.

Ref Mike Green (#5), I don't like the idea of Bellamy (skilled or not) as I see him as a disruptive individual. Not so sure of Petrov for Everton but maybe! Donovan for sure. We should grab him if we can.

I'd like to see us keep Pienaar. He makes things click down the left with Baines & Co and adds the unexpected to complement Arteta.

Worried about both the Yak and Saha. I'd like to see more consistent strong effort. If we get balance of right and left it should mean more and better service to either of them in the area. Might get their blood running hotter. Otherwise, maybe we should move 'em on.
COYB
James Flynn
21   Posted 25/05/2010 at 02:34:01

Martin - I'd be happy with the League Trophy being lifted next season and us in here this time 2011 still exchanging, "Wow! Can you believe it?" And, "How do we stop the 24-year rule? This feels too good to have to wait that long again".

In the meantime, keep what we can and count on bigger contributions from our young bloods, especially Rodwell and Bily.

By the way, Landon is much more in the news here since the WC is happening. Got asked about his "future" after the WC. Said things like:

"Right now I'm Galaxy"
"Loved my time at Everton"
"Lot of scouts at WC"
"Never say never"
"But right now I'm at Galaxy"
"We'll see"
"I have a lot of years left in me"

He just couldn't say (correctly and properly I think) his days at Galaxy are numbered.

So Martin, I have to add my happiness would include the Skipper holding the Trophy up high and the camera panning over to show my boy Landon as one of the team.
Derek Thomas
22   Posted 25/05/2010 at 08:18:28

What would I be satisfied with??

FIRST!...Oh and an FA Cup win... and maybe 100 goals, serious lottery win, some new knees, a time machine, world peace, and throw in a workable FTL transport system... and if some one can send me a reality check (made payable to cash).
Thomas Christensen
23   Posted 25/05/2010 at 12:19:19

The Pienaar impasse is the fact that he wants more money to stay at Everton than Everton have offered. He doesn't want to leave really... but, if he doesn't get his £60k+ a week here, he will get if after the World Cup somewhere else. We are being held to ransom somewhat, but the choice is DM's — he pays up or Pienaar pisses off.

In:- I'd like to see Petrov from City in the squad, he has got me a lot of Fantasy Footie points in recent years. I'd also like to see another striker and not Beckford...

Out:- I'd like to see Yobo sold (totally agree with comments above) — perhaps to Blackpool. The Yak sold, he says himself he was on his way to Tottenham!! And Pienaar, not so fond of him holding the club to ransom.
Jay Harris
24   Posted 25/05/2010 at 12:36:37

Thomas, your error brings it all into perspective.

£60k per week - £3 million plus a year.

How can any one person who supposedly believes in God justify to himself holding out for that when he' s probably already been offered £2-2.5 million.

Football has gone totally mad.
Steve Guy
25   Posted 25/05/2010 at 13:17:09

I love the way everyone is "happy" to get shut of the Player of the Season. Pienaar stepped up to the plate when Arteta got injured to provide the creativity and forward momentum needed. He has an incredible workrate to match his skill. I for one will be gutted if we don't keep him.

I am equally as worried about the Arteta situation. If it is true that he is meant to be signing a new deal with Everton then I hope we hear about it in the next couple of weeks, or I will start to fear the worst.
James Stewart
26   Posted 25/05/2010 at 14:15:02

Steve, he wasn't my Player of the Season. And I don't think he ever stepped up to Arteta's level. Yes, he was our main outlet but he never hit the heights Mikel can. He often has no end product. If he did, he would be world class as his build-up play is I agree incredible. But he doesn't.
Jay Harris
27   Posted 25/05/2010 at 14:45:23

Steve,
I agree he was immense for much of last season but he has clearly signalled he does NOT want Everton's final offer.

Therefore, to avoid any disruption and the players head not being right through next season, I believe we should sell now.

No player should be considered bigger than the club and the excessive greed that revolves around football right now is sickening.
Dennis Stevens
28   Posted 25/05/2010 at 16:18:09

Obsessed, Roberto? Could well be!

Usually some smart-arse will chip in that the 24-year rule only accounts for 5 Titles (6 next season!) & conveniently ignores the other 4 Titles we've won. However, in each 24 year gap we alternately win either 2 additional Titles or none. So, after we win the Title next season, we can look forward to another 2 Titles between that success & being crowned Champions in 2035. But after that it's a long wait until 2059 — let's hope we're winning a lot of cups instead!

Bob Parrington
29   Posted 26/05/2010 at 01:01:45

I can see Jay's point of view (27). I would have liked DM to get in first with a statement "sign up within the next 14 days or move on!" but I'm probably just dreaming.

It sickens me the way the game has come down only to money, Suppose we can't blame some players for trying to get the best deal for themselves when some rich prick is prepared to fund the money.
COYB
Ben Jones
30   Posted 26/05/2010 at 15:11:01

Again, Ciaran spot on. That balance is important.

Donovan I can't see coming, I wouldn't know a decent right winger to be honest. If Pienaar goes, then either Marin or Hazard to replace him. Petrov or Ledley on free transfers wouldn't be that bad either. Talk of Moutinho replacing Pienaar is nonsence - he'd be a replacement for Arteta.
Iain Love
31   Posted 30/05/2010 at 19:56:07

I would be very happy to keep what we have, especially if they are all fit and raring to go.

The Pienaar talk is disturbing as he gives us a real threat down either flank and hopefully Bily will improve after a break and a season to settle in.

I'd like Donovan back but I'm not sure that would happen; N'Zogbia is probably a more realistic target and he has all the attributes we require. Citeh are buying whatever they can and maybe Bellamy might be available on a loan deal.

I'm not expecting many in/out and I think Beckford will be Moyes's extra attacker we need and we will only spend money if we sell first.