NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

Jermain Beckford - The Pros & Cons

By John Meredith :  29/05/2010 :  Comments (37) :

Pros

• He tore Man Utd and Spurs apart single-handedly when playing against them this season in the F.A cup.
  • Has key the elements (pace, great eye for goal, lovely skills, athleticism) needed to be a top-notch striker
  • Every Leeds fan I've asked about him tells me he is not only Premier League class but potentially world class
  • He's on a free!!!
  • If he can't make the grade we can make a couple of million in the next transfer window by selling him to the Toon Army.
  • Moyes has an excellent record when purchasing players from Championship clubs (Jagielka, Lescott, Cahill et al)

Cons

• The last striker Everton bought from the the third tier was Brett Angell (Southend United)... ouch!!!
  • He has yet to play outside that third tier yet in his career
  • He's already 26 years old, is it always better to teach a younger dog new tricks ?
  • He was badly advised, handing in a transfer request the morning after he'd scored the winner at the 'Theatre Of Dreams';
  • Or is he simply a frustrated selfish mercenary who can't wait to leave at the best possible opportunity? (see similar requests from Defoe, Chimbonda, Jeffers...)
  • He is ultimately a better player in his own head, than he ever is on the pitch — see Clinton Morrison, Hayden Mullins, Jason Euell, Chris Armstrong...

Reader Comments

Tony Lea
1   Posted 29/05/2010 at 17:29:07

DM has been following him for some time now. I would back him with his record above anyone elses views. He obviously wants to give him a go in the Premier League so must feel he has the ability to make it!!
John McLoughlin
2   Posted 29/05/2010 at 17:41:28

Its a no lose to me, if he is crap we will sell him if he is good we will all be very happy
Colin Potter
3   Posted 29/05/2010 at 17:58:27

I ca n remember "Budgie" Byrne playing for Crystal Palace in the old 3rd division years ago. He wasn't world class, but he was a very good player, and he also played for England while he played in the third division. So sometimes it does work out, these odd players jumping up a couple of leagues,lets hope it does for us.Like whats it been said,we can always sell him.
Alan Kirwin
4   Posted 29/05/2010 at 18:22:49

We need another 2 forwards minimum. He's not half bad, he knows where the goal is, can hold the line, has pace & strength and works hard (all evidenced against ManU & Spurs) and he's free. What's to debate?
Tony McNulty
5   Posted 29/05/2010 at 18:33:06

I agree with the majority of the sentiments expressed here. It looks a great deal for us.

The only potential downside I could see – and I have watched a season of his goals on youtube – is that instead of passing it around the midfield as we have been doing, we might sometimes get tempted to over-play the long ball game like Liverpool or the old Wimbledon.
Brendan O'Doherty
6   Posted 29/05/2010 at 18:52:40

The Pros outweigh the Cons by a distance. It's a win-win scenario.
Ciarán McGlone
7   Posted 29/05/2010 at 18:59:58

Not sure I agree with the pro's - For me he hasn't got a great deal of technical skill to his game....or the potential to be ...er...'world class'..

But having said that, he could be a very useful player to have as cover - a gamble that will only cost us his minimal wages...

If he's another DJ Campbell, then big deal....
Ray Robinson
8   Posted 29/05/2010 at 19:24:30

The Rs signed Kevin Keegan from Scunthorpe. It CAN happen.
Brendan McLaughlin
9   Posted 29/05/2010 at 21:17:45

I think it's signings like this that puts paid to the lie thats Davy's overly conservative in the transfer market. OK...some have bombed Shandy Andy, the Scottish Rooney etc. but Arteta, Pienaar! I reckon Moyes is prepared to take a chance, problem is he doesn't always get it right but ,on his record, I for one am prepared to cut him an awful lot of slack.
Derek Thomas
10   Posted 29/05/2010 at 20:56:03

Players from a lower division?? are they a bit of a risk???

I know, lets name some teams / places from these lower leagues and see who we got from there.

Rhyl, not the first place you would look for a goalkeeper.

Want a Centre Forward AND a Centre Half, if all it costs is a taxi to Tranmere, then I'll pay for it myself, money well spent.

Yes I know there are plenty of Bretts and Bernies, but hey thats life sometimes you just have to take a chance. Buried treasure, hidden jems, they are all out there. Location is no gaurentee of success or failure, the dirt encrusted stone or nugget could be anywhere. You get it where you find it, then try and polish it.

In another context, has the carboot sale to antiques road show senario taught you nothing. I paid a couple of quid for it I thought it looked nice.

He's on a free, he wants to come, his wages will be less than that Idle waster (however good he is when he is fed) Yak.

If the most we get is some wages saved, 7 or so mill in the pot for said waster and a slightly improved bigger faster Marcus Bent, then we are quids in ffs.

WHATS NOT TO LIKE

Somebody a bit richer than me (almost everybody) can fork out the money for a train ticket to Huddersfield, but well worth the price for a world class left back.
James Cadwaladr
11   Posted 29/05/2010 at 21:48:05

Give the lad a chance. The pros above outweigh the cons which are nearly all meaningless speculation. He has never played outside of the third tier as he has come through non-league as an ex windscreen fitter. Of course he wants to try his luck at the highest level possible. It's a complete no-brainer so to suggest he is a selfish mercenary is utter tripe.

Good luck, Jermaine. Looking forward to having you!
Guy Hastings
12   Posted 29/05/2010 at 22:13:24

Colin P, more recently than Budgie Byrne, Palace also boasted a 3rd Div player turning out for England in Peter Taylor. On the downside, three of John Meredith's overinflated egos (Clinton Morrison, Hayden Mullins, Chris Armstrong) also turned out for the Glaziers. Win some, lose some...
James Stewart
13   Posted 29/05/2010 at 22:22:44

I will bet on him being top scorer for us next season if he signs. He's very much like Andy Cole in his day.
Being from Leeds Ive seen a lot of him.
Chris Butler
14   Posted 29/05/2010 at 23:00:38

In my opinion, Pienaar, Yakubu and Arteta will leave. Not because I want them to but, if another team comes in there's not chance of them staying and we can't risk another Distin panic signing. In their place I'd like to see Stephen Ireland, Donovan and Martin Petrov. Perhaps it will stop our negative play.

In my opinion Beckford won't fit into any system Moyes plays though. He can't play with Saha as they both like to play deep. He's not a Yakubu type play that will get on the end of crosses. I wonder where he's going to fit into our team? I'll just have to hope he's another Cahill or Jagielka but it's a big risk.

Dennis Stevens
15   Posted 30/05/2010 at 01:15:31

After Pienaar has gone, we'll probably have Anichebe & Beckford as the two wide players — it certainly wouldn't surprise me!
Brendan O'Doherty
16   Posted 30/05/2010 at 01:40:12

Chris Butler

So you suggest we sell our best players and replace them with Man City rejects. Oh I forgot...Stephen Ireland is better than Mikel Arteta according to you! And this would stop our 'negative' play... you know, some of the best stuff we have seen at GP for years during the 2nd half of this season.

Are you sure you are not working for Man City? Maybe it was you who started this Heitinga rumour as well? Why don't we just give them Heitinga + £16m and get Lescott back? Get a grip man.
Geoff Edwards
17   Posted 30/05/2010 at 04:03:06

Kevin Philips didn't play in the prem til his mid-20s. he did alright. same can be said for Ian Wright
Thomas Christensen
18   Posted 30/05/2010 at 08:41:38

Having seen Beckford play against MK Dons (it is my nearest decent club so I do pop over sometimes) he posses the attributes not usually wanted by Moyes. He doesn't work hard, he has a petulant attitude – He can only be in as a replacement for Vaughan and someone to come on in games and get a goal. Beckford isn’t injury prone and has played a lot of football over the recent years, so he potentially has more to offer Everton then Vaughan (well maybe).
Mike McLean
19   Posted 30/05/2010 at 10:14:04

Free, relatively low wages. May be crap but can be sold on if that's the case.

Give the bugger a chance.
Ben Jones
20   Posted 30/05/2010 at 10:33:08

I'll think he get his chance. Knowing Saha's and Yakubu's injury record, he may take it and start scoring goals for us.

It's a no brainer in my opinion. Sign him up.

Kevy Quinn
21   Posted 30/05/2010 at 11:52:11

You beat me to it, Geoff. Kevin Phillips didn't arrive until late and sure as hell made up for lost time. Great deal considering its free nothing to lose and everything to gain.

He put Man United out of the cup and did it at Old Trafford. If he does that this season and nothing else in his Everton career, he'll be a legend in my eyes!
David Hallwood
22   Posted 30/05/2010 at 12:14:03

Thomas Christensen, #18: if that's the case he'll have to lose both attributes — and quickly. Obviously he's done his homework (or his agent has) and must know that DM doesn't like slackers, plus in the 3rd tier he was a big fish in a small pond, so he'll have to lose the petulance otherwise he'll be back to where he came from; this is his big chance and let's hope he's smart enough to realise it.

My only concern is the message it's sending to the players; if you’re Arteta or Pienaar Heitinga et al and want to play in the CL, is this the sort of signing to inspire confidence in the future?
Chris Butler
23   Posted 30/05/2010 at 13:28:46

I'm not but I know that if they say they want to leave they will. It's impossible to keep these players with the money City are throwing around. I just don't want another Lescott saga, like all of us, that we say that he's not for sale and he leaves. I think unless we are bought by some Billionaire Arabs then they will leave, as money is everything to footballers, whether you like it or not.

Yes, I wish Everton didn't need to sell to buy but the truth is we do, as Kenwright won't put in any money. Fine, if they stay, they stay... great and we buy 4 quality players, I'd love that, but it's not going to happen.

Dermot Ryan
24   Posted 31/05/2010 at 01:13:10

Cons: We haven't signed him.

Aren't we counting chickens before they're hatched?
Brendan O'Doherty
25   Posted 31/05/2010 at 12:33:03

We have now.

Iain Love
26   Posted 31/05/2010 at 13:27:25

Posts 1 & 2 are all that need be said.
Bradley Nolan
27   Posted 31/05/2010 at 13:42:33

Players from lower leagues might not adjust, but there are plenty of big-named players from foreign leagues who couldn't cut it in the EPL.

The reason a lot of strikers don't translate their goals into the Premier League is that they don't have the physical attributes. In the Premier League, you need to be very fast, very big or very strong (as well as having the finishing skills). There are only very rare examples of strikers who can score goals without at least one of these elements (Sheringham springs to mind).

Beckford clearly has the finishing ability; he also looks like an athlete, which gives him a chance. He will be playing against a better calibre of opposition but equally, he will be playing with better players in the same shirt as him, better facilities and better supporters getting behind him won't hurt. Good luck to him.

Dick Anderson
28   Posted 01/06/2010 at 09:21:42

League One's third best striker signs on a free transfer. I can't stand the excitement.

And yes, he is only the third best striker. Southampton's Rickie Lambert out-scored him with 37 goals and Norwich's Grant Holt scored more or less the same goals but is a better all-round player.
Tony J Williams
29   Posted 01/06/2010 at 12:42:50

Dick, at least is is better than the Anthony Gardner loan.
Ade Byrne
30   Posted 01/06/2010 at 12:36:33

Ian Rush was at Chester, he had a season there before Bob Paisley picked him up for a snip at £300k. I was in the sparse crowd and Bob was standing with us with his trademark cap. I was wondering who he had come to watch until Rush scored the winner. Anyhow, Beckford is 26 and I'm sure Moyes will ease him into first team action just as he did with Peanuts and Jags.

If Arteta and Pienaar go, so be it. It would be a sad loss but Moyes will replace them. I think we will see a much improved Bily next season his finish against Utd and Pompey = class and if we get Donovan after Xmas, all the better. Roll on the World Cup. Watch out for Australia and Tiny Tim.

Trevor Lynes
31   Posted 01/06/2010 at 17:00:18

If Beckford is supported eg; Defoe with Crouch... then the lad could be another Defoe... he is NOT a target man and I would hate him to be played in the same way we did with Andy Johnson — he will burn out in no time!!
His attributes are pace, control and goal scoring awareness. He needs support to be a success... I reckon he will come good if we can keep our present squad, and I also see Anichebe or Saha as perfect foils for Beckford.
Norman Merrill
32   Posted 01/06/2010 at 16:38:39

The fact that Moyes has been watching him for some time, gives some clues to why he has took a chance. And the fact that he is on a free, must be a bonus.

What has surprised me is the negative remarks on mailbag, let's give the boy his head, and let him show us and the Premier what he can do.

James Bryan
33   Posted 01/06/2010 at 20:52:33

I have watched Beckford a few times this season. I live in Doncaster so watched Leeds with my mate (mainly to provide a comforting shoulder when he thought all was lost).

Yes, he does have some attributes that DM won't like but he'll stamp that out of him or he will be on his way. I think however that he will be ok; he does have an eye for goal and he certainly has pace.

He was certainly not League 1 material – much better than that – but let's give him a chance. He will no doubt get the exceptional welcome to Everton that we offer to all our new players and I'm sure he will thrive on that and Davey will work his magic on another lower league player... so let's make sure he gets our full support.

Steve Guy
34   Posted 01/06/2010 at 21:51:35

Hopefully the "pros" now we signed him.
Alan Clarke
35   Posted 02/06/2010 at 10:53:20

Hypothetically, would Moyes have paid for him had he been under contract? Does he rate him highly just because he's on a free?
Ciarán McGlone
36   Posted 02/06/2010 at 13:35:29

Alan,

I think the fact that he's free is a more than an overarching consideration in this one.
Richard Parker
37   Posted 02/06/2010 at 14:56:06

According to the Telegraph - no red top rubbish here - Beckford's arrival at Goodison could spend the end for Yakubu's Everton career.

I am generally quite happy to let Moyes get on with the recruitment, without worrying too much. He seems to get a fair bang for his buck in most deals. But christ, if we're considering swapping one of the most consistent top flight scorers for a 3rd tier Johnny Bigbollocks, then I won't be putting anything on us cracking the top-4 this season.

That'd leave us with 2 crocks in Saha and Vaughan, a distinctly average Anichebe, and a player who has proven absolutely nothing that would make even a Sheffield Wednesday fan get excited about signing him.

I really think that with a full pre-season after the World Cup, the Yak will find his shooting boots again. I'd go as far as saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see him take 1st choice spot from King Louis if he hits form. And if he's still around.