NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
FAN ARTICLES

World Cup Prediction - Interim Results

By Mike Oates :  26/06/2010 :  Comments (8) :
Well the Prelim rounds are now over and, as some of you may remember, back in mid May I asked for your predictions. There were no prizes, just a little test to see who out of all of us renowned expert Football Managers really has a modicum of football sense.

(i) Name the 2 teams from each group that qualify - 3pts a team

(ii) Name the winners, runner up, 3rd and 4th places, 10, 8, 6, 4 pts respectively.

There were 40 people who entered and after the Prelim the top looks like this

1. Leader on 39pts: Jamie Sweet
2. Joint 2nd on 36pts: Brett Jonathan, David Clement, Davie Turner
3. Joint 5th on 33pts: James Stuart, Jimmy Hacking, Erik Dols, Eugene Ruane, Steve Kidd, Liam Reilly, Kirk McArdle, Ray Robinson, Dan Walshe, Peter Warren, Ben Jones, Nic Doyle, Sean Keigher

As there are also another 11 people on 30pts so it’s still all to play for !

Current wooden spoonist is Alan Noon with 15pts and with North Korea, Greece and New Zealand in his final 4... I don’t think he’ll move off it – but with USA he still has a chance for a place.

Predictions for the Winner in order are Spain (14 votes), Brazil (9), England (7), and Argentina (6)

Reader Comments

Brendan O'Doherty
1   Posted 26/06/2010 at 17:44:00

Sorry, Mike – make that 11 (33 points), my adding isn't what it used to be.
Mike Oates
2   Posted 26/06/2010 at 20:52:49

Sorry Brendan, the last time I checked the replies was on Jun 6th just before I went on hols and as you replied later than this I missed you off. I've just added you to the sheet and as you said you have acquired 33 pts.
Ciarán McGlone
3   Posted 27/06/2010 at 14:55:52

Here's a prediction... the Germans will win on penalties... lock your volkswagen in the garage.
Jamie Sweet
4   Posted 27/06/2010 at 17:05:42

Are you sure there aren't any prizes Mike?!!!
Eugene Ruane
5   Posted 28/06/2010 at 00:31:22

COME ON YOU...erm...ME!!
David Moore
6   Posted 28/06/2010 at 01:55:07

Well, I'm stuffed I had France as one of my final 4 teams. But I did predict England out at round of 16.
Jamie Sweet
7   Posted 28/06/2010 at 02:23:11

Forget the prizes Mike... I'm no longer bothered. Just double checked and I've got England down to win. WTF was I thinking?!

In my defence, I did pick them before Baines got dropped. I think he could have made the difference out there!
David Moore
8   Posted 08/07/2010 at 08:31:10

I am actually a half decent shout here, got both the finalists, with Spain for the win. This is my quote from the original:

"I can see a lot of the African teams doing well. I actually forcast Australia not to make it out of the group but have to go with heart on that verdict. Portugal are the big losers, going home early, as will England in the round of 16, no matter who they play. I can see the USA being top of Group 3, while some groups should get the goal tally up."

With one exception, I was right.