Season 2011-12

Editors Blog

Everton's Union Blues

Here's an interesting ? and presumably independent ? view of Everton's Union Blues... from Mark Murphy at the TwoHundredPercent website.

Moyes? sticking plaster was ripped painfully away (taking plenty of proverbial body hairs with it) by chairman and major shareholder Bill Kenwright?s revelations, to supporters umbrella organisation ?The Blue Union? (TBU) last month. In a controversially transcripted and published interview, he admitted Everton?s financial situation was as dire as critics, including the four supporters? organisations under TBU?s umbrella, had been claiming, especially since the club?s 2010 accounts were published in February. TBU has been born from Everton?s inability to ?compete? with clubs with which supporters believe Everton should be competing, especially in the transfer market.

Supporters? complaints were as much about Everton?s communication of its situation as about the situation itself ? a topic prominent in TBU?s manifesto, which referenced a ?lack of transparency and accountability?, and in published correspondence between E4C and CEO Robert Elstone. The club?s reactions to Kenwright?s ?revelations? suggested these complaints had merit. But the most crucial evidence was Kenwright?s performance in the transcripted meeting. He was arrogant, defensive, contradictory and downright ignorant. And even amid the headline revelations, these attitudes leapt from the transcript.

Read the full article at TwoHundredPercent and post any comments below.

Michael Kenrick     Posted 08/09/2011

back Return to the Editors Blog

Reader Comments

Gareth Humphreys
368  Posted 08/09/2011 at 17:08:40

The whole point of the Peoples Group was to raise awareness - this article and many others like it amongst the national press have put a tick in the box for objective number 1. Fair play to them.
I just wish the local media would be brave enough to show as much interest.
Stephen Kenny
388  Posted 08/09/2011 at 18:19:47

Mark,

Are you the author of this piece?

Very accurate and factual IMO.
Johnny Rainford
398  Posted 08/09/2011 at 18:51:28

Excellent.
Dick Fearon
420  Posted 08/09/2011 at 19:26:53

Majority views on Blue Kipper indicate a bigger split in supporters than destination Kirkby.
Robin Cannon
424  Posted 08/09/2011 at 19:42:31

Really good piece. Well worth the read.
Ian Smitham
428  Posted 08/09/2011 at 19:52:09

I am sure that I saw this an hour ago under another heading
Trevor Mackie
432  Posted 08/09/2011 at 20:05:25

The importance of a good "wordsmith" illustrated by the readability and punchiness of a long piece.

Michael and Lyndon, I don't know if you have the time available and it may be presumptious of me but they need you guys, the points raised about presentation will always irk professional journos.

No time for false modesty here lads if they haven't called you, you need to call them.
Steve Higham
440  Posted 08/09/2011 at 20:33:36

The board must be really running scared now. They're even wheeling out Andy Gray to support them now.

What a week: Sharpy, Elstone, and Gray all supporting Kenwright and his cohorts. They must think we're all idiots ? nothing to do with the demo and the media exposure ? of course not.

Almost forgot in the excitement, three investors interested as well!!!

James Morgan
452  Posted 08/09/2011 at 21:22:50

Does anybody see what the Kenwright bummers put on twitter against Blue Union? I'm not on it but I see the mini bit on the OS, they really need to open their eyes!
Ian Smitham
455  Posted 08/09/2011 at 21:32:17

Sir, not moaning but I can not read the comments, can you check the site is OK please?
Tommy Coleman
465  Posted 08/09/2011 at 21:36:02

I love this article. Sums up everything going on at the club.

See you Saturday.
Steve Guy
469  Posted 08/09/2011 at 22:00:48

What a fine piece of balanced writing. I wish I could write like that; a dissection of our plight a surgeon would be proud of.

David Prentice, read it and weep......
Chad Schofield
470  Posted 08/09/2011 at 22:22:23

Personally I feel that the interference of the media by the board is more worrying.
Steve Woods
499  Posted 08/09/2011 at 23:58:11

Great article. I do hope that the mainstream media will take a close look at the arguments, dig deeper and publish. No doubt the red Echo won't.
Eric Myles
515  Posted 09/09/2011 at 02:50:58

"He was arrogant, defensive, contradictory and downright ignorant."

He's never even met the guy and describes him perfectly!!!
Eric Myles
516  Posted 09/09/2011 at 02:52:07

How come all the reader comments are blank????
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
519  Posted 09/09/2011 at 04:05:15

Errr... I can see them, Eric. Including yours.
Paul Kennedy
550  Posted 09/09/2011 at 10:03:25

Just another thought: what does it say about our set-up when players are prepared to take a cut in wages to join other clubs also in "crisis" or gp abroad, letting everyone know how delighted they were ? even though that club did not even want to buy them? Maybe the truth was told years ago by Rooney!! Could it really be our manager?
James Crolla
552  Posted 09/09/2011 at 09:50:24

ARROGANT, DELUSIONAL AND VERY NAIVE!!

I'm really shocked by the language of Kenwright's response's to the TBU questions.

I had previously thought that Kenwright was out of his depth but I actually felt a little sorry for him because I believed he had the best interests for our great club.

Now I am angry and I can only conclude that Kenwright is a complete idiot.

"when I'm not here you won't fucking notice".

"there is no better salesperson than Bill Kenwright"

"Who would want Blackburn"?

My anger had turned to fury after going to the Everton official site and reading Elstone's comments and reaction to TBU demand for an interim board. It is clearly a very closed "boys club" filled with people with zero Commercial, behavioural and people skills. The exact opposite the the traits you would expect in a successful business in touch with its customers.

I am so angry and I will now be driving from Southampton on Saturday to join the march. I am sick to death of these idiots ruining our club.

The article does make some valid points about the TBU though, I have felt from the beginning that the language is quite generalised.
Mark Murphy
569  Posted 09/09/2011 at 13:02:47

I didnt write this - its an imposter!

Mark Murphy
Jon Cox
672  Posted 09/09/2011 at 21:34:46

Why is everyone speaking so silently?