Season 2011-12

The Best Things In Life Are Free!

35 Comments: First  |  Last

.....that is, if you are Evertonian.

In all seriousness, we have to accept that we are skint and unless we sell either one of our 'stars' or sell our collective of 'misfits' (which seems unlikely, due to the lack of quality and interest) then we are gonna have to seriously considers one, a couple or a few of the available free transfers.

Now from the ones available, I would seriously have to consider the fact that the will all be squad players and as we have an horrific seasonal injury issue to deal with.

John Carew - Always a handful and would take the pressure off Beckford (Still bedding into the league) Saha (Constantly injured) and Vic (Hmmmm!)

Lee Bowyer - I know, I know but he could be a benchwarmer with the experience and bite we could use if needed over a long season and has been one of the best players in a Brum squad.

Matthew Upson - We NEED another centre half. Would be a great free transfer.

Obviously I would prefer to stay clear of this route, however, until we sort the cash out, I really don't see another option.
Anthony Jaras, Widnes     Posted 23/06/2011 at 15:25:28

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Simon Smith
1   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:04:23

New club motto: buy Ad primum vendere...

Which I think translates to

To Buy we must First Sell

Any others you would like to add?

Sean McCarthy
2   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:09:18

Lee Bowyer?? John Carew??? They the best of the 'freebies'??? Heaven help us!!
Drew O'Neall
3   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:10:49

I'd take Carew for a season - good hold up man and mobile for a big fella.

Larson too slow.

Come on Big Vic, prove em all wrong.. I wish people would stop slagging him off, he's only a kid.
David Thomas
4   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:18:55

We would be better off sticking with what we have got than bringing in any of the 3 players you mentioned.
Andy Mack
5   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:18:47

Isn't Faddy on a free too? Maybe a great foil for Becks in our bargain basement front two. Sick and tired of our club being skint. If all these "stars" we have are worth 20mil a piece I wonder if we sold them all now (Rodders, Jags, Baines) paid off the debt in it's entirety we'd still be able to put out a squad to stay in the Prem? I reckon Moyes talent could.
Dan McKie
6   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:36:02

Then what do we do after that, Andy? We would still have nothing except a little more money due to not being spent on interest payments. It is the lack of new revenue streams coming into Everton thats the problem. We have one of the highest percentages of turnover going out on player wages in the whole league.
Anthony Jaras
7   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:39:24

David Thomas, do you really think that it would be better to have NO cover at all at centre half and up front than bring in Upson and Carew?

Strange!
David Thomas
8   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:46:24

Anthony,

We already have a number of strikers who can't seem to find the back of the net. What would be the point of bringing someone in who scored 1-2 goals in the whole of last season. I bet he would want decent wages as well. I simply can't see the point of bringing more deadwood into the squad.

Distin and Jagielka are our first choice central defenders and we have Heitinga as cover.

I find it strange that you would want to bring in two players who have been very poor over the last couple of years into our squad.
Anthony Jaras
9   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:56:50

David,

Every club needs FOUR good centre backs, if one of our centre backs gets injured, long term, we are then struggling for cover as we would have nobody on the bench in case of further injury.

As for another striker, what would you suggest with no money, as cover?

Carew had a very decent record (48 goals in 142 appearances) as a target man in an average Villa side, then he fell out with Houllier and then they signed Darren Bent, before he went to Stoke City, another average side and made only ten appearances, mainly as a sub and due to a back injury, never featured much.
Anthony Jaras
10   Posted 23/06/2011 at 22:06:10

I said all three of these players as cover for our first choice players only, not as replacements.
Brian Waring
11   Posted 23/06/2011 at 22:06:10

If Bowyer was still any good, then wouldn't Brum have offered him a new contract?

Upson would probalby want decent wages, and I can see plenty of clubs after his services.

Carew, might as well get the Yak back.
Anthony Jaras
12   Posted 23/06/2011 at 22:10:48

If the Yak could be arsed, I'd love him back.

Problem is, we can't be choosy and I personally think that on short term deals, from the freebies out there, these are the most appealing.

Sad times indeed.
Richard O'Shea
13   Posted 23/06/2011 at 22:13:01

does anybody what games sky are showing in the 1st weekend of premier league in August. I want to go to Spurs v Everton game being from Ireland if sky changed the game would upset my plans.
Mike Gwyer
14   Posted 23/06/2011 at 22:17:56

Anthony.

"I am still surprised that we didn't go for Seb Larsson too as he would have provided decent cover on the wing."

Cover for who exactly? We don't have any wingers and being honest, if you leave Coleman out we don't have anyone who can actually run & dribble with the ball.

Anthony Jaras
15   Posted 23/06/2011 at 22:29:07

Well it looks like it's gonna be Osman and Coleman on the wings again so I think other than that, we will be stuck with Bily or Vic. Larsson could have done a job and will donwell at Sunderland in my opinion.
David Thomas
16   Posted 23/06/2011 at 23:08:13

"Plus, both Upson and Bowyer have statistically been good for West Ham and Bowyer respectively. Bowyer in particular."

Based on what stats?

Alex Kociuba
17   Posted 24/06/2011 at 00:07:33

For the love of God, Lee Bowyer has been shit for about 8 or 9 years!!!
David Hallwood
18   Posted 24/06/2011 at 00:29:15

Bowyer & Carew??! over the hill Ginola & Gazza anybody.
Plus Drew#3, big Vic is the same age as Messi
Charlie Percival
19   Posted 24/06/2011 at 01:06:44

Anthony jaras - I forgot there were only free transfers available in England (premiership to be precise)
Craig Tomasinski
20   Posted 24/06/2011 at 01:26:17

Well that was depressing reading that. I hope any signings we make better signings than those over the summer.

By the way dont we have good cover at centre back with Heitinga and Duffy and maybe Mustafi. Gotta give the youngters a go at some stage.
James Flynn
21   Posted 24/06/2011 at 03:28:06

Don't sell anyone except the ones out on loan (Even with that, I'd rather Yobo and Yak come back).

DM's building the team under known financial restraints. Don't sell. We have good players. If we didn't we'd have lost a lot more games.

Let's see how next season turns out. We're on the outside (just) of the Top 4. We're not a relegation-worrying Side. We need to see what happens next season before thinking of selling off top assets.

Let me ask: Is Rooney's departure some form of PTSD for EFC fans? Let the "sell them off to buy" rest for a season.

We're right there. A few more goals (and not many), we're in the mix.

No selling this off-season.
Jason Lam
22   Posted 24/06/2011 at 07:26:46

I'm not having that cunt Bowyer ('cuse my french) in my Everton. FFS don't even start. No, no, no, fuck off Bowyer.

The reason Coleman is reverting to right-back is we need to vacant the spot for Donovan.
Richard Parker
23   Posted 24/06/2011 at 07:29:24

I would have been all for Larsson coming in, unless Bill has found 30M down the back of the sofa. I would be for Carew and Upson as well.

At least then we'd have one or 2 senior players on the bench to give Moyes an option.
Andrew Ellams
24   Posted 24/06/2011 at 09:12:22

Carew as a target man alongside Beckford and Saha is good in theory apart from one problem. It means Moyes would have to play two strikers. Can anybody spot the problem here.........
Michael Evans
25   Posted 24/06/2011 at 09:28:29

.... yes, Andrew, I can.

Two strikers ? In DM's side ?

Haven't you heard that DM Sees Beckford as a long-term centre half and Saha as a hard as nails holding midfielder ?

Paul Gladwell
26   Posted 24/06/2011 at 09:34:00

Lee Bowyer.......If you want to resort to shite like this you are better off throwing the kids in, this lad has done nothing for years and he could not have been that great taking Birmingham down.
Chris Fisher
27   Posted 24/06/2011 at 09:47:36

We should get Joey Barton before some ones else gets there first. Hes an Evertonian and would jump at the chance to pay for us, if a team like Arsenal are taking a look at him we should be straight in there! He may of done wrong in the past but he would improve our team alot and at the moment thats all i care about.
Mark Stone
28   Posted 24/06/2011 at 10:27:54

Simon #1, I think Sean McCarthy is onto something with the new club motto:

"Adjuva nos Deus"

Striaght to the point, simple and accurate!
David Crowe
29   Posted 24/06/2011 at 11:48:50

Fuming about the Seb Larsson thing... he's not amazing but he's free and he's got class delivery, should be a no-brainer and we're better than Sunderland, full stop.
Norman Merrill
30   Posted 24/06/2011 at 12:42:27

They all made be on a free! but what salary would be required???
Anthony Hawkins
31   Posted 24/06/2011 at 12:46:22

The last thing the club needs are more old(er), expensive, final salary day players who will either warm the bench or not add the quality to our squad.

New blood, new players, cheaper salaries with quality and players who will provide options are what are needed.
Noel Lynam
32   Posted 24/06/2011 at 12:49:03

The problem with retaining the squad we have and not signing anyone is that it sends out all the wrong messages to the players and fans. It's the most public admission of "Well, we are potless but happy to carry on as we are and have no ambition of improving".

Are Fellaini, Baines, Rodwell etc likely to want to extend their contracts based on that? (and I use those three because general consensus seems to be that those are the ones we should be building our future around)

I don't think we can underestimate the positive impact a few new signings would have among the squad, fans etc. Realistically, we all know that is not going to happen without a takeover (unlikely) or a cash injection. And the only way the latter seems likely is by auctioning off one of our more saleable assets.

There's an old phrase (might have been Napoleon who is credited with coining it) that the army who stays still, goes backwards. I just hope that's not us this year...again.

That said, I think I'd rather stay still than have Upson, Bowyer, McFadden or Carew join the infantry.
Brian Waring
33   Posted 24/06/2011 at 19:58:45

James (#21) I don't understand how you can say that we're on the outside (just) of the top 4 when we finished 14 pts behind the 4th placed team ? to me, that's a long way off.
Alan Hayes
34   Posted 24/06/2011 at 21:50:38

We have no money? Therefore use resources you have: Vellios {Saha} 15-20 mins {60-80} per game... eg, Baxter, Gueye, Nsiala, Mustafi... then it comes down to us to support them.

Just came back from the pub a fellow from Burnley said a young lad was invited to come to the club, young lad askrd, "How much you ooffering?" ? if this is happening with smaller {Dingles} clubs, it must be a lot worse higher up.

As for next season, let's just hope with our squad of underrated Evertonians we may supprise ourselves and more the dark side.

James Flynn
35   Posted 25/06/2011 at 02:18:06

Sell NO ONE. Including Yak and Yobo. Let's see how next season plays out first before we succumb to "Rooney Syndrome".

Sell to buy. We'll never be good enough. Fucking moneyed Southerners. Give it a rest.

Sell no one Mr Moyes (yeah, Yak too). We're talented. Let's see how next year plays with what we have.