Season 2011-12

Owen Hargreaves, Pay as you play?

57 Comments: First  |  Last

So, after our 'success' with the signing of the injury plagued Manchester United striker, Louis Saha, could David Moyes be tempted to offer a similar deal to Owen Hargreaves?

Hargreaves, who has been released by Manchester United after only 39 appearances in four years, has been busy stepping up his fitness work in a bid to show any potential employers that he is over his injury nightmare.

In fact, he is so committed (desperate?) to prove his fitness, that he has had several videos posted on YouTube, showing his intensive and weird workouts.

His channel can be viewed on the following link: http://www.youtube.com/user/owenhargreavescb

With no money in the bank, what do you guys think of such a move?

I personally think that if it is on a pay-as-you-play, then we really have nothing to lose. We have no money to purchase players with such quality and experience... and, with our lack of numbers, if he does really end up fit, for even half the season, he could prove to be a useful, free acquisition.

Anthony Jaras, Widnes     Posted 06/07/2011 at 14:15:23

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Sam Hoare
1   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:41:26

I'd take him on a pay-as-you-play. Great player when fit.

Looks like the RS are signing Charlie Adam. Really not sure how on earth we are meant to compete with these teams blessed with the finances to buy whole new squads!! The sooner Fifa brings in regulations to try and level the field a bit, the better!!!
Andrew Ellams
2   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:43:38

You get the feeling that Owen Hargreaves might be grasping at straws to keep his career going. I'd rather see somebody like Ross Barkley get a chance in the 1st team squad.
Chris Keightley
3   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:42:46

Knees like sugar paper ? one challenge and he will fall apart; no thanks. I feel terribly sorry for the lad ? would have been an England regular but for his injuries!!
Tom Owen
4   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:43:54

On pay-as-you-play. Why not?
Mark Stone
5   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:42:40

Are you arteta0425 by any chance???
Anthony Hughes
6   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:46:38

I don't suppose it would do any harm to have some company for Louis in the Physio room while the lads are playing.
James Stewart
7   Posted 06/07/2011 at 16:16:54

Beggars can't be choosers & we are certainly beggars when it comes to recruitment.
Kevin Hudson
8   Posted 06/07/2011 at 16:44:17

Sure.. An injury-prone defensive midfielder will do wonders for us. I'm sure Moyes has got a proper wide-on just thinking about it

Ffs...
Trevor Mackie
9   Posted 06/07/2011 at 16:39:07

#1 Sam, wouldn't be holding my breath about FIFA regarding "fairness".

Just as the RS squirmed out of the Hicks/Gillete caper all the monied elite will evade any shackling, financial or otherwise.

It's down to us - and us alone - to do something about our plight.

Regarding Hargreaves - pay as you play is all he'll get anywhere, so why not us.
Anthony Millington
10   Posted 06/07/2011 at 16:54:34

May aswell get Michael Owen too then we can start building a team of crocks around Saha lol.
Anthony Jaras
11   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:02:33

Mark#4 No buddy. Why? Has he said the same elsewhere???
Brian Waring
12   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:11:15

If Man Utd thought he could still cut it, then why get rid?
Alex Kociuba
13   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:00:19

He might have 39 'appearances' but most of them for 5 minutes. Aside from international games, he's only started 18 league games in... 8 years! (24 May 2003 - present).

(source: soccerbase.com)
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:40:38

Get tae fuck ? why waste a squad number on someone who has a worse injury record than Saha.
Mike Rourke
15   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:46:33

Yes. Purely on the basis that it would slightly reduce the chance of our Captain having to 'slot' into midfield.
Ray Roche
16   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:57:44

No way. We have enough in the way of crocks as it is.

Incidentally, my season ticket arrived last week and after seeing the Shite are buying ANOTHER player I really am regretting renewing it. After 50+ years following Everton, I am so pissed off at our inability to get anywhere near close to the rest of football that I have just about had enough.

The sooner we have a clearout of the financial crocks on the board the better. Richard Dodd, don't even THINK of defending Kenwright.

Kunal Desai
17   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:11:27

Ray #15 - One question - why did you renew your season ticket?

Did you honestly believe that we'd make a plethora of big name signings?
Ray Roche
18   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:19:10

Kunal, I suppose it's blind optimism, mate. You think: "Things MUST get better, Moyes will have at least the Pienaar and Vaughan money and whatever else Yak and Yobo bring in"... and here we are, as usual, watching every other fucker outspend us. Depressing.

Plus following Everton is habit-forming... it must be easier to get off crack cocaine.

Andy Callan
19   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:22:30

If this fella wasn't going to snap after about 25 minutes, the Mancs wouldn't have released him.

Having said that, 'pay-as-you-play' can't do any harm...
Anthony Jaras
20   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:31:40

Exactly Andy #18.

I think some of the above have not understood the initial question.

See title please people.....PAY AS YOU PLAY?
Ray Roche
21   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:40:01

Anthony @19

I think most people who have bothered to comment on here have a reasonable grasp of the English language and understand the initial question. I think we also can't see the point of wasting a squad number on someone who will keep the physios busier than they would like to be. And also underline what a laughing stock we have become.
Chris Bannantyne
22   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:49:14

One year, pay as you play.

If by some MIRACLE the guy remains injury free, then maybe we make a real good signing and can offer a better contract.

If he remains continually broken (as just about everyone suspects he will), then move him on once more and try and find some more £60,000 Irish gems (that is, if we HAVE £60,000).
Gavin Ramejkis
23   Posted 06/07/2011 at 19:03:45

Anthony, you miss a subtle thing called medical bills; who the fuck do you think is going to pay those? There's risk and there's pissing away money.
Steve Foster
24   Posted 06/07/2011 at 19:07:10

In a nutshell ? Yes!

If he can prove fitness then yes, pay-as-you-play for someone like him would be great!

Even if not ? someone with so many medals in their locker would be a good person to have around, surely!
Lee Courtliff
25   Posted 06/07/2011 at 19:09:00

I was thinking this yesterday... why not eh? At least it means we would have "signed" someone.

You never know, we might get lucky for once and he will have some sort of Peter Reid style Indian Summer!!
Danny Broderick
26   Posted 06/07/2011 at 19:19:38

Give him a trial. If he can prove his fitness, then why not? If not, we won't have lost anything...
Rob Jones
27   Posted 06/07/2011 at 19:35:23

Who pays the (inevitable) medical bills?
Adam Payne
28   Posted 06/07/2011 at 19:38:32

Hilarious point about taking up valuable squad numbers ? what with this flood of incoming transfers on the horizon...

We struggled to fill our allocation last year!! Vaughan has gone and others are likely to follow. Truely sad times...
Mark Stone
29   Posted 06/07/2011 at 19:51:10

Yeah there is a comment on one of the videos saying about pay-as-you-play at Everton. Thought it might have been you!
Matthew Lovekin
30   Posted 06/07/2011 at 20:00:57

What about signing Jonathan Woodgate and Kieron Dyer on pay-as-you-play as well?

We could end up with a whole team of crocks!
Chris Cook
31   Posted 06/07/2011 at 20:10:45

I dunno if we could afford him, even if he only played 2 games a season.
Joe McMahon
32   Posted 06/07/2011 at 20:10:10

Pay-as-you-play only... may not be a bad idea; We should have done that with Saha. (Didn't he suggest it?) I've a feeling that Fellaini will also end up an injury-prone crock.

We may as well try to bring Darren Anderton out of retirement, and possibly see If Dean Ashton can carry on with his injury.
John Audsley
33   Posted 06/07/2011 at 20:14:17

Jesus H Corbett... We are in the mire!

BUT yes, I'd take him on pay-as-you-play, as long has he paid his medical bills.

You have to wonder if our board ever do anything proactive for our club... I guess it's all about clinging to power and gurning...
Gavin Ramejkis
34   Posted 06/07/2011 at 22:23:42

Adam, how is it hilarious if you give a squad number and include him in the 25 then he does his two-minute break then out for the season and you have to rely on a kid from the reserves. If we have to do it, why not just bite the bullet, let Billy Bullshitter see his arse when we get torn a new one by a few teams and save on the medical bills? If we can't even afford a loan fee in January what has suddenly changed?
Tom Bowers
35   Posted 06/07/2011 at 22:30:36

Absolutely. He is a class act. Yes, he has a bad injury rap sheet but, as mentioned by others, we should take him on a pay-as-you-play basis. Everton need more craft in midfield; it was so evident last season ? even when Arteta and Fellaini were fit.

We cannot afford £7 million for Adam so why not take Hargreaves on a free?f Moyes cannot offload some of the dead weight then we cannot be choosey. Freebies and loan deals are the only option.

If Moyes dilly dallies, then you watch... some other manager will snap him up and get a good season out of him.

Anthony Jaras
36   Posted 06/07/2011 at 22:34:36

Yeah Gavin, well just sign nobody then eh? We have NO money lad!

Who do you propose we sign then?
Anthony Jaras
37   Posted 06/07/2011 at 22:39:50

Adam, totally true mate that "Freebies and loan deals are the only option."
Jay Harris
38   Posted 06/07/2011 at 22:54:06

I am sick of a club that at the start of the Premier League had a better record than Man Utd and now we are constantly linked with all their rejects.

Totally agree with Ray Roche ? we should be getting good young talent in rather than old crocks or rejects... although I applaud the thought, Anthony.
Anthony Jaras
39   Posted 06/07/2011 at 23:04:04

It is hard to accept, Jay... but it's the reality of the current situation, pal.
Iain Love
40   Posted 06/07/2011 at 23:23:20

Man Utd tried and tried to get Hargreaves fit to play and, after 4 years, gave up; do you honestly think we would get at best more than 5 games out of him? Plus all those injuries and the aging process must have taken their toll on his sporting prowess.

Sorry but I agree with Andy (#2) ? better to get a promising kid in than waste time with Hargreaves (cracking player in his day).

Jason Lam
41   Posted 07/07/2011 at 02:51:13

Is there a training video of him actually kicking a ball?
Jalil Noor
42   Posted 07/07/2011 at 03:54:51

Most of his videos are what 20 seconds long... anyone could look fit in 20 secs.

Maybe if he were to post himself playing some football and getting in the tackles, now that might be more interesting and I would say yes to pay as you play and if he gets crocked, he helps to pay his own bills
James Brand
43   Posted 07/07/2011 at 07:47:41

My heart says "yes" as he just seems a really nice fella and was a great player, but for all the reasons above, my head says "no"...
Shaun Brennan
44   Posted 07/07/2011 at 11:29:26

Brian 12, Gavin 14, you've hit the nail on the head. More crocks. No thanks, 39 appearences in 4 years is shocking. I'd be embarrassed but highly grateful to pick up my pay packet.
Noel Lynam
45   Posted 07/07/2011 at 12:59:09

Gavin @ 23 is spot on. This link also makes for interesting reading when it comes to Hargreaves, his release by Man U and his previous comebacks.

Anthony Jaras
46   Posted 07/07/2011 at 13:11:28

Really Gavin? Over 40? You wouldn't think so judging by your casual profanity filled responses.

Try constructing a mature argument, constructively and I might then get the image of a mature adult at the other end of the screen.

Do you honestly think your use of such language on an OPINION based football thread paints a sensible picture of you or lends any more weight to your views?

Now I'll rephrase the question in case you feel I am questioning the numbers on your birth certificate;

"Who do you think we should sign?"

It does neither!
Steve Moore
47   Posted 07/07/2011 at 13:15:55

As a pay-as-you-play player... Why not? And I for one still believe we will sign at least two new players before the start of the season (fingers crossed) ? and before someone bites my neck off, it's just my opinion.
Anthony Jaras
48   Posted 07/07/2011 at 13:22:53

Ps. Gavin, I'll just point out that I mean 'should' sign, not 'will' sign, as I've just noticed you state that you don't think we 'will' sign anyone.

Of the freebies out there (which is all we can seriously consider) would you go for any?
Gavin Ramejkis
49   Posted 07/07/2011 at 14:25:36

Anthony, I can't write in crayon to match your attempt at verbosity and inflated personal opinion of yourself.

Let's see: over 40, successful businessman with my own company with virtually every high street bank to my consultancy list, largest scale migration projects in Europe for the Ministry of Defence handling both restricted and secret data for which I still hold clearance, large scale government projects for the DVLA, currently consulting in the finance sector again, turning down approaches from several offers and many many more both onshore and offshore. I'll not request a pissing match with you as I'd guess you've already lost.

You failed to read the last sentence, maybe your blinkers slipped, Everton will not sign anyone of any significance during this transfer window. The argument of whom we should sign is a moot point as we have no funding in place to do so, even at loan level, as January so painfully proved.

I personally think we'd fail to agree loan signings with Premier League experience as clubs are quite rightly looking to put players on loan with a potential sale at the end of the deal and that is the deal breaker for Everton. I would love us to sign some bench warmers from European sides such as the Bundesliga or Spain but if there is one thing you can guarantee over the last few years at Everton, it is disappointment.

Finally, what I choose to type anywhere has quite literally nothing to do with some pompous web warrior like you. If I chose to spout vocabulary that offends your childish persona, then don't read it; otherwise, jog on.

Brian Waring
50   Posted 07/07/2011 at 15:48:04

As Iain mentioned, Man Utd have tried everything to get the lad playing again. He has been all over the world to see the best specialists, had all the surgery, but is still unable to play. How long did his latest comeback last?
Anthony Jaras
51   Posted 07/07/2011 at 15:49:42

I'm gonna need a bigger boat... ha ha, well done you!!

Catch of the day. You really should sync your world class professionalism with your vocabulary in all forms of communication, whether business or pleasure, it looks and sounds better.

I am so glad you've told me all that about yourself, you have really gone up in my estimation. I now see you as a foul-mouthed 'businessman' as opposed to a foul-mouthed 'fool' which relieves me somewhat.

Thanks again for revealing your bio to me. I'll sleep much easier tonight now knowing that the Aldi version of Alan Sugar has been so open to me.

I'll remember to tell the kids in the school I teach at next year that, if they ever become as successful as you, they can post over-the-top profanities on sports websites, compare willy sizes with complete strangers and still keep their dignity and professional stature intact. Ahem!!!
Ray Roche
52   Posted 07/07/2011 at 17:44:06

Now, now, play nicely....
Anthony Jaras
53   Posted 07/07/2011 at 17:49:39

Ha ha, it's ok Ray. It's only banter. On my part anyway.

I am apparently a Web-Warrior, although Mr Ramejkis was the one who introduced the times of aggression into the thread in the first place.

Oh well, off on my holidays in the morning. I'll leave GR007 to carry on his quest for Global Domination :o)
Anthony Jaras
54   Posted 07/07/2011 at 17:52:54

Times? Bloody phone.

*Tones
Ray Roche
55   Posted 07/07/2011 at 20:17:08

AJ... Have good time!
Anthony Jaras
56   Posted 07/07/2011 at 21:22:44

Thanks Ray.
David Price
57   Posted 08/07/2011 at 10:51:59

I remember the uproar back in '82 i think , when we signed an injury prone, washed up yesterday man... His name?

Peter Reid.

Lightning and twice, hopefully .