Season 2011-12

Crouch for Rodwell??

37 Comments: First  |  Last

Just seen the rumour about Moyes wanting to swap Rodwell for Peter Crouch. I know it's just a rumour but if it is to be the case then God knows what our football is going to look like.

Enough of us complained about Moyes's hoofball tactics when we had Andy Johnson as a target man FFS. I can't bear to imagine what our play will look like with Crouch up front.

When many in the football world are looking towards the style of play demonstrated by Barcelona and Spain, ie, passing and movement (two words which have sadly been erased from Moyes's Dictionary of Football), EFC ? whether or not this rumour is true ? seem to be stuck in a time warp or even going backwards.

With the debate going on elsewhere about naming rights for football stadia, perhaps we should consider renaming Goodison Park as Jurassic Park because that seems to symptomise the direction our ginger tactical genius is taking us.

Rob Williamson, Sheffield     Posted 08/08/2011 at 11:25:39

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Elaine Riding
1   Posted 08/08/2011 at 13:37:34

Were running out of options and getting desperate..
We are missing genuine oportunities all over the show..
John Carew went on a free yesterday, and is a hell of a player, who always seems to score against us.
Carew for free or Crouch for £10m ?? Tricky one that..
Shane Long looks like he is going to West Brom.. Fucking West Brom ??
He fits all the current Everton criteria, young, hungry, and massive sell on potential in 3 years...
Had the chance to steal a march with Barton last week.. but what did we get ? Silence. Even Joey could be sold for money if it didnt work out..

Clutching at straws, and just praying for something to happen, we need a lift and did you see how young the Man Utd team were yesterday ? Jesus, we are so far behind now its embarrassing..
Tony Doran
2   Posted 08/08/2011 at 13:41:22

Just can't see what Rodwell gives us, and as for Crouch, if he done that stupid dance, I'd spew.
David Hallwood
3   Posted 08/08/2011 at 13:50:30

If the boy Crouchy (TBC) does come to us, I can take over Ken Buckley's 'In my seat':-

Game 1, Jags/Neville/Hibbert looks up-60 yard hoof to TBC cushioned header to erm.... no one in particular (repeat sentence until hard drive full)

Game 2... see Game 1 for details

Eugene Ruane
4   Posted 08/08/2011 at 14:13:33

Tony (2) I don't often laugh out loud on TW, thank you.

(and I too would spew)
Brian Waring
5   Posted 08/08/2011 at 14:14:22

Crouch doing the robot with an Everton shirt on...... oh fucking god!!!!!

Of course, if this rumour becomes true, no doubt there would be plenty on here telling us it was a great bit of business by Moyes, and what a quality player Crouch is.
Shaun Brennan
6   Posted 08/08/2011 at 14:28:45

Swapping a 20-year-old for a 31-year-old. Somehow I just can't see it. If it ever happened, someone would need taking around the back and shootting.
Sam Hoare
7   Posted 08/08/2011 at 14:28:54

Pretty sure this rumour is one of the more spurious ones doing the rounds. God i hope so, as it would represent terrible, terrible business if true....
Karl Masters
8   Posted 08/08/2011 at 14:34:13

Relax. Crouch doesn't want to go anywhere and he's an ex-Red. NEVER gonna happen.

I hope!!!!! :)
John Ford
9   Posted 08/08/2011 at 14:36:47

He's decent on the ground too, but the brain-dead media love to simplify things so typecasting tall gangly = good in the air, and nothing else. He holds up play very well, and has decent feet, but I'd hate to see us bypass midfield just because his head can be seen over everyone else's.

I read this morning that Crouch wishes to stay at Spurs.
Tony J Williams
10   Posted 08/08/2011 at 14:40:24

If that fecking giraffe came to us for Ridders, I would think about packing it all in.......maybe not, but I'd be right upset......and may even spew a little myself
Matthew Svatos
11   Posted 08/08/2011 at 14:53:37

I'm not saying that i'm a fan of Mr Crouch but some height in the front of the pitch may be what we need. With the majority of our goals coming from crosses anyway and with Baines being able pull off pinpoint crosses, imagine what he could do if he had a giant to aim at in the middle. Zigic would be the better option however.
Adam Bennett
12   Posted 08/08/2011 at 15:10:50

This rumour has come about because a lazy journo who see Harry Redknapp at the Everton v Villareal game and David Moyes at the Tottenham v Atletic Bilbao game.

?Oh, look, arry must want an Everton player and Moyes must want a Spurs player; mmmm let me see?? I know! Bingo! Crouch and Rodwell for a swap deal, that?ll keep my editor happy!?

?What was that Mr Editor? They play each other next week so were on scouting missions for the season opener? Oh no, I didn?t realise. Oh well, lets just run the story anyway. It?ll keep that twat on Sky Sports Snooze busy with his annoying fucking transfer screen he pisses around on all day.?

Transfer windows are just an excuse for pathetic, media self importance bullshit ran by Sky Sports. Jim White, at the top of his voice; ?Sky sources believe that this player is going to this club?. Yeah right, because when a manger is looking to buy a player, the first thing he does is phone you up, you excitable annoying fucking dicksplash!

Does my nut in!

Rant over :-)

Anyways, I?d take Crouch. He?s a good player. Not sure about using Rodwell as bait though.
Trevor Powell
13   Posted 08/08/2011 at 15:08:27

Crouch is a has been, a never was! surely, we can do better than this freak who clearly has no footballing brain, can't head a ball and has plated for the evil ones. Rodwell may not be a messiah but he is of more value than the beanpole freak and what sort of message does it send out, take EFC's best talent and dump a pensioner in return!
Richard Parker
14   Posted 08/08/2011 at 15:11:49

Absolute bollocks. Moyes wouldn't do that to us and Crouch is not a Moyes type of signing at all.
Steve Sweeney
15   Posted 08/08/2011 at 15:09:07

If Moyes and indeed Everton can even contemplate letting Rodwell go for Crouch then I am afraid I will not even bother to check on Everton's results. That will be it totally with this football club.

OK I stopped going last season, and will not go again till BK and his Board are gone, but this will be insanity. Crouch is one lucky man he has floated around the PL making millions for agents and hangers-on and yet really what has he ever achieved?

You know what ? Football is truly fucked up. No-one is buying anyone because if they play for the mega rich no-one can afford their wages. Even Tevez cannot get a move cos no-one can or wants to pay him £200+k per week.
What is good is to see all the "I am Moving to Citah/Chelsea/United- to play Champions League Football, its not for the Money" players training with the kids and with nowhere else to go.?

Dave Brooks
16   Posted 08/08/2011 at 15:33:37

Tony, Eugene and Tony J. -
If he scored 50 goals a season, could you get used to it?
Could you, for example, eat mints to mask the taste?

OK.
Trevor Mackie
17   Posted 08/08/2011 at 15:23:55

Regardless of the merits of each player can anyone see Moyes making a decision like this?

Only a man with the courage of his convictions, a confident decisive man would defy populist opinion - not a cat in hell's chance.

Dave Lynch
18   Posted 08/08/2011 at 17:06:31

For fucks sake lads.
No-one is coming in and no-one is leaving, we are stuck with what we have got.
I only hope and pray that we are not in a relegation fight come the end of the season.
I can honestly see it coming to that and think all the talk of top 6-8 is wishfull thinking.
We will set up and play the same old way we have for the past couple of seasons and teams are wise to it by now.
We cannot go on the way we are much longer, it is truly breaking my heart and scaring the shit out of me.
John Daley
19   Posted 08/08/2011 at 17:29:59

"... if he done that stupid dance, I'd spew."

Wonder if the same thought runs through his Mrs' mind when he's gurning away on top of her?
David Holroyd
20   Posted 08/08/2011 at 17:28:59

Dave Lynch you are spot on . No one except Yobo will go with nobody comming in. We will still come about 7th , but its going to get harder. Is this the most depressing pre season since i started watching since 1968
Mark Tanton
21   Posted 08/08/2011 at 17:39:53

DNP Let's speculate, and amuse ourselves... My predictions for Everton last day business are as follows - 11:22 - Adam Johnson reported to be seen in carpark at Goodison. 11:50 - Adam Johnson is filmed training with the rest of the Man City squad. 15:00 - Robbie Keane 'bandied' around all afternoon. Club make no comment. 15:12 - Robbie Keane goes on loan to Fenerbache.. 15:22 - Robbie Williams linked. Quickly dismissed. 18:20 - Big eared goons standing grinning behind SSN reporter at Goodison and gawp at cars coming and going. SSN reporter says inside information is that "there's nothing doing". 18:55 - David Moyes drives out, going home. 20:00 - Excitement, Moyes drives back in. He's forgotton his mobile. 23:50 - Berkley goes on loan to Leeds. Anichebe goes on loan to Hull. End.
Tony Doran
22   Posted 08/08/2011 at 17:31:01

(Dave 16) If he scored 50 goals i'd run on the pitch and do the Robot with him bollock naked and upside down but is it going to happen.

Dave Brooks
23   Posted 08/08/2011 at 17:50:49

No Tony, I don't believe it will. But I'll get the mints in just in case, eh?

Don't do the upside-down bit. That's too much. You have to hold something back, you know?
Brendan O'Doherty
24   Posted 08/08/2011 at 18:03:53

Absolute total shite, just like every other rumour this summer. We're not getting anyone - get used to it.

Elaine #1, spot on. If we can't afford a free transfer because of the wages, we are hardly going to get rid of one of our best prospects for a has-been.

Gareth Humphreys
25   Posted 08/08/2011 at 18:54:35

Are we now moaning about a player who is rumoured to be coming and what he will do to the team?

Nurse Nurse.
Vijay Badhan
26   Posted 08/08/2011 at 20:00:32

Crouch for Rodwell is the worst thing we could do, surely Rodwell has got to be worth more and i would rather we keep Rodwell and see whether he fulfills the potential with us.
James Stewart
27   Posted 08/08/2011 at 20:34:46

Desperation takes hold...
Iain Love
28   Posted 08/08/2011 at 22:01:19

Watched Rodwell against the Spaniards last week... I thought he was quite shit, and apart from that goal against Manure, I don't think I've seen anything that good from him.

2009-10 I questioned whether he was this year's Cadamarteri and by and large got shot down. I'd put his proper value at about £3mill so, although there's lots of players at Spurs I'd rather swap him for, I'm sure Harry ain't interested, because Harry ain't gonna be at Spurs for long anyway.

Ian Smitham
29   Posted 08/08/2011 at 22:09:51

Some interesting and humourous views. But the Op's last line seems to judge DM on what looks like speculation. "our ginger tactical geniuous" based on press rumour. Maybe you would like to clarify.
Errol Stafford
30   Posted 09/08/2011 at 00:00:26

I completely agree with Elaine (1) about missing out on Shane Long. Yes, he is far from the finished article, but he has pace, can finish, good in the air for his size, works his socks off and has a passion, belief and temperament so lacking in our present batch of strikers. Could we not have offered Yak plus some reserve players on season loans ie Duffy, Bidwell, McAleny. Does Moyes not think of trying these things? As an Irishman I've seen enough of Long to be sickened that he's joining West bloody Brom. They don't have a wealthy benefactor, yet can spend nearly £7m on a player - explain that one Blue Bill?!
I've become so desperate for us to do some business that even Bentdner might be an option - and I don't even really like him. Weren't Arsenal supposed to be interested in Yobo two seasons ago? Swap deal? Someone tell me to snap out of it, but the current debacle has led me to such a state of frustration and anger that I'd welcome even the likes of Bentdner, Hitzelsberger and Zigic at this stage.
Elaine Riding
31   Posted 09/08/2011 at 01:34:35

Errol #30
Thanks for agreeing about Shane Long, he would be a great signing..
As for Bentdner..
He is just Brett Angell in an Arsenal shirt.. Gash.. Awful player. Moaning, injury prone.
He even said, and I quote. " I deserve to get the money that I am paid, as I miss out on so much in life. I am not allowed to even go skiing anymore in case I break my leg. "

Rob Williamson
32   Posted 09/08/2011 at 09:56:44

Ian #29. My judgement about Moyes as a 'Tactical genius' was certainly not based on an unfounded rumour as you imply, but purely on the evidence of his tactics over the past nine years. If you were to count the number of games under his tenure where Everton have played flowing, passing, exciting football as opposed to hoofball then I suggest you'd have a hard job getting into double figures. That was the point of my original post - whether or not we swap Rodwell for Crouch is irrelevant.
Tony J Williams
33   Posted 09/08/2011 at 12:32:24

Rob, I would rather count the teams points tally than the Arsenal type of footy games that no other team, obviously apart from Arsenal, plays.
Chris Fisher
34   Posted 09/08/2011 at 12:49:34

Sign Barton.
Paul Momber
35   Posted 09/08/2011 at 17:03:44

Obertan could have been worth a punt? We need a winger and this guy has probably gone to the toon for what? £2 - 2.5 mil.

He is not going to set the world on fire but width is a valuable commodity.

Rob Williamson
36   Posted 09/08/2011 at 20:28:22

Tony J #33 - Does it have to be as black and white as that? Surely the team can play more attractive football than we normally do without going to the opposite extreme of overdoing it as you suggest Arsenal do.
Tony J Williams
37   Posted 09/08/2011 at 21:22:52

Rob, I kind of think that it does. We tried to play pretty football at the start of last season and didn't win for two months. We played Villa off the park with some beautiful passing footy....and lost.

We can't seem to get a balance, we play decent...and don't score or we play backs to the wall stuff, which we are used to and go on runs. Sad but true at the moment