Season 2011-12

Get behind Kenwright & the team

75 Comments: First  |  Last

I recently ran into a debate with a fellow Evertonian regarding his take on the current situation at the club. He appears to blame everything on Kenwright and, similar to the riots in London last week, was calling for the whole place to be burned down and the club to start over. Indeed, hearing the dribble that came from his mouth, it reminded me of a curry I had a few weeks back that didn't agree with me and had run out somewhere else .At most times he's as intriguing and interesting as Steve Davis or Ken Barlow but it just worried me that his dross may become contagious. So I'm going to do something not too often seen by ToffeeWeb readers ? a post in "SUPPORT" of Bill Kenwright.

I, like all Everton supporters, would love the club to be in the position of challenging every year for the league and best players but reality dictates otherwise. We have to evaluate the options available and in my opinion, Bill Kenwright is our best option ? unless a billionaire comes along ? which, let's face it, is fairly unlikely. My argument is based on a number of points which I will outline below.

When Kenwright first took the reigns as Chairman, the club was in a mess. The team was teetering every year in a relegation scrap. The squad was garbage and had some players who wouldn't make most Sunday paralympic league teams let alone the Premier League ? eg, Samways, Farrelly, Barrett etc. Kenwright's arrival in my opinion brought stability.

We may not have inherited a billionaire but what we did get was someone who was a True Blue supporter, had passion, and the club's best interests at heart. He brought in a young, talented and motivated manager in David Moyes, who shared his vision and enthusiasm for getting the club back on track. Since then, we have managed to establish ourselves as a top 6-7 team, attract top players like Arteta, Cahill, Fellaini etc and enjoy some European football in-between ? as opposed to a relegation scrap. I look at other clubs like Birmingham & Newcastle and this reassures me that we have the right chairman in place.

Furthermore, he does not give me the impression he intends to sell to anyone unless they also share the club's interests which I personally like the man for despite the critism he receives daily from fans. The fact that Moyes and players like Cahill regularly sing Kenwright's praise for me speaks volumes about the guy.

My final point is that, if the fans call for "Kenwright Out!" ? what will it achieve? The club will slip back into chaos, our manager who is loyal to Kenwright will move on and the players will look at the crisis and also engineer their moves. Instead of Baines, Arteta & Cahill, we will end up with Stephen Hawkins up front and Heather Mills at the back.

How about we all get behind the team and Kenwright and put aside the flaws and appreciate what we have in place? No doubt more dribble will come back from disgruntled fans. Go look at Birmingham, Newcastle or Leeds before you add any response and think hard what it is you want.

Paul McMullan, Belfast     Posted 16/08/2011 at 21:50:11

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Sean McKenna
1   Posted 17/08/2011 at 05:04:39

Paul, people like you enrage me!!! I'm going to try and hold my tongue here, I'm not going to rant on about Kenwright being a complete useless liar, or Kenwright's massive fuck-ups like Kings Dock and Destination Kirkby... but hey, Paul. things are great because he is a true fucking blue!! I'm sick to death of people sucking this up.

Can't you see that this man has ran this club into the ground!! How much has our debt run up since Kenwright has been in charge? How many assets do we have left? How many players have we signed in the last 2 years?

"I wouldn't sell Rooney for £50M" ? then sells him a few weeks later for £27M!! But WAIT...... He is a True Blue so it's all fucking good, isn't it, Paul! The thing is, Paul, Evertonians don't want a billionaire, we just want a competent chairman & board to run this club to allow us to compete ? now that's not too much to ask is it?

And personally speaking fans like you put me off football all togeather...

Chris Bannantyne
2   Posted 17/08/2011 at 05:49:27

I'm bored with this question.

And by 'question' I mean 'post'.

Absolutely nothing compelling about your argument whatsoever.
Ste Traverse
3   Posted 17/08/2011 at 05:54:11

What a load of nonsense. Get behind the team? Yes. Get behind Kenwright? Fuck Off.

The club may well have been in a mess when he tookover but nothing has changed in reality. He acquired the club as an act of self-indulgence with no idea how to fund it... and nearly 12 on still hasn't the first clue.

As for your comment about Barrett, Samways and Farrelly ,these players had long since left the club by the year 2000 when BK became head honcho.
Jimmy Sorheim
4   Posted 17/08/2011 at 06:09:47

I think Kenwright needs to hire the right people to get things done the right way. He can't continue with his bad buisness strategies any more. It is costing us and he should be the first one to see it. Don't know if it will happen though.
Doubt it. I am positive about our players and the team, not the idiot behind the scenes screwing it all up. Get a grip and smell the coffee.
Paul Gladwell
5   Posted 17/08/2011 at 06:31:04

Paul, I will be there Saturday screaming my team on but not that lying coward ? will you?

Anyone who is there and wants to voice their opinion of him should, but you certainly won't find them affecting the team's performance, match going blues don't do that, but we will see so much evidence around the ground, in the ground and in the squad to remind us that the things you say in defence of him are utter bollocks.

Anthony Hawkins
6   Posted 17/08/2011 at 06:48:49

I'll get behind Kenwright so I can push him out the door! My support goes to those who are willing to accept help and willing to do something to get themselves out of the situation they are in. These do not surmise Kenwright.

I support the team and wish them all the best, etc.
Paul Gladwell
7   Posted 17/08/2011 at 07:01:00

By the way, I am very confident for Saturday providing Moyes keeps Anichebe out of the first 11 and plays Arteta wide.

But just a little re-cap: for the second year running we are the only club in the country to not buy a player after a season which we finished with a bench full of kids without a game between them.

We have teams like Arsenal and Leicester taking the deliberate piss out of us with bids of comedy nature for our players, the fanbase is split in two, the manager won't speak, and we have struggled to fill a hole in the wall we started knocking down until someone reminded us we don't own the land it's built on.

Let's be positive as much as we can regarding the team, but when thousands of us strive to find money to support our club, let us have our say instead of filling us with patronising bullshit.

Stephen Kenny
8   Posted 17/08/2011 at 08:02:29

What's Bill Kenwright got to do with getting behind the team?

Does he play up front?

I wish someone would at least try and match one of Colin's articles in support of Kenwright, at least then people wouldn't have to bother wheeling out the millions of reasons why he's a clown.
Sean Joyce
9   Posted 17/08/2011 at 08:16:17

Paul McMullan,

You have to be on something to suggest all is well within our club with that lying prat at the helm. I am just amazed that Moyes is still with us, thank God, after what he has had endure season after season. What he achieves on what he is given is nothing short of brilliance.

Like all true blues, we will be cheering the team on against QPR, but support of Blue Bill, you have got to be joking. Without going into the past about his failures, we have heard him only once during this pre-season, "Yobo sale will happen within 48 hours" ? need I say more!!

Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 17/08/2011 at 08:07:23

Congratulations Paul ? not only idiotic bollocks, but idiotic bollocks from first word to last.

Seriously, if you think Kenwright's countless useless/deceitful decisions point to a man who has 'the club's best interests at heart', you are a fool.

The line 'If the fans call for Kenwright out, the club will slip into chaos' is a particular favourite.

Fucking WILL!?

Hey, good point Paul, we certainly don't want 'chaos'.

(Seriously, have you just woken up from a 15-year fucking coma?)

By the way, this line: "How about we all get behind the team and Kenwright and put aside the flaws and appreciate what we have in place?" ? I could only read in the voice of Eric Idle's character from the crucifixion scene in 'The Life Of Brian'.

Desperate stuff!
Peter Bourke
11   Posted 17/08/2011 at 08:51:53

Come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and Paul deserves to be respected just like anyone else.

One thing I do agree on is that Kenwright should not sell to just anyone. It has to be the right person or else we may become a basket case just like some others.

Sure, I don't agree with how the club is being run at the moment but the simplistic "Kenwright Out" just doesn't cut it. We are not privy to the goings on behind the scenes and I think these times are times for caution.

Nelly Verdonghan
12   Posted 17/08/2011 at 08:55:57

Paul... you've got to be fuckin kidding haven't you.....!!
Andrew Laird
13   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:00:47

"I, like all Everton supporters, would love the club to be in the position of challenging every year for the league and best players but REALITY dictates otherwise"....

So Paul, you are aware of the concept of reality? But still post this nonsense pointing to the contrary.

Shaun Brennan
14   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:16:45

"When Kenwright first took the reigns as Chairman, the club was in a mess."

Groundhog day? We are still in that place.

Your illustrious leader has failed. Plus stop compairing us to other teams ? we are Everton, not Pompey, Leeds, Birmingham etc...
David Bridge
15   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:16:46

Paul

Well done ? you have got the part in 'Dreamcoats and Petticoats' with your blatant arse-licking of BK. What planet are you on? You obviously don't go to the games or follow us closely.

BK and Moyes for that matter are the only two stopping us from moving forward; we have an extremely thin squad, a lot of our players are injury-prone ? Saha, Arteta, Anichebe, Jags, Cahill ? so I'm sure the squad will get thinner and these two clowns are to blame!

As for BK supporting Everton, so what? He hasn't used any of his personal wealth, hasn't invested in the squad / facilities and has failed with two stadium bids ? at great expesnse to US!!!!

Ray Roche
16   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:26:29

Heather Mills?

Christ, no... She's too one footed.

Eric Myles
17   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:23:53

So Kenwrights a 'True Blue', that's your whole argument for asking us to get behind him?

Try reading these articles and you'll see why there's a long queue to get behind the man when he's stood on the train platform with the express fast approaching.

Mike Gwyer
18   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:19:28

Paul.

BK has no pot to piss in, he's sold everything that had an EFC label on it and now he's looking at what players he can off load. Finally, Everton owe in excess of £50M to the real owners of club and of course, the banks. Yep, that's £50M, which was around £23M of debt when BK first purchased the club.

Paul, you would have had more luck telling a church load of black Christians that the KKK were coming in to offer relocation packages.
Mike Elbey
19   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:30:10

What a load of rubbish.

The improvement in the tean and as such stability on the pitch is down 100% to Moyes, it has nothing to do with Kenwright whatsoever.

He has provided the manager with a pathetic £20m net over 10 years of management - £2m per year ! He has said for years he is looking '24/7' for INVESTMENT - not sale. He wont let go of the train set. He has presided over a board that has mortgaged off just about all our assets. In my opinion, the only good thing Kenwright has done is appoint Moyes.

And one final thing, why do we only ever hear from this fake when things are going well. I think the only time he has been seen since the cup final in 09 was when we beat Chelsea in the cup earlier this year - there he was punchingthe air and confirming his self proclaimed status as our No1 fan.

Get behind the team - YES , get behind Kenwright and his joke fellow board members - Definately NO NO NO.
Sean Joyce
20   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:47:27

Well Paul McMullan ? What have you to say to back up your request in support of our True Blue Leader? Surely not all these post can be wrong!!!!
Jason Heng
21   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:56:11

Did you just apply for Ian Ross's job?
John Ford
22   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:00:18

Paul, I have a spare wheelie bin you can hide in.

Dan McKie
23   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:07:16

"Attract top players like Arteta, Cahill & Fellaini"

Sorry, but whilst I agree they are top players now, we got Cahill from Millwall on the back of a decent cup run, Arteta who couldnt get into Real Sociadads team, and Fellaini who was playing in that world famous Belgian league! It hardly took much to 'attract' them did it?
Chris Matheson
24   Posted 17/08/2011 at 09:57:26

Paul I disagree entirely with your post but fair do's to you for having a go at posting it.

Logic tells me that the case against Kenwright is massive ? and I won't go listing all the failures again here.

I have asked several times for somebody to post a case in his favour and all that people come up with is that a) he is an Evertonian like us and b) the club has financial stability.

Well the first is nice but is not a qualification to run the club; and the second simply isn't true.

I put our "success" down to David Moyes. Yes he's maddening at times, yes he can be dour but he changed us from a relegation club to one battling generally in the upper half of the division. Sorry League.

But here is another point. OK in these times of crazy finance I know we need a dose of realism, but how can 6th or 7th place be considered success? Why is that good enough? Does the club's motto mean nothing more than a few latin words on the wall?

We are not going to win the league, we are probably not going to win the cup. But all the hope and belief and optimism are being sucked out of the club, like a Harry Potter dementor, and the buck has to stop at the desk of the Chairman. Every standard at the club is set from the top.

So: get behind the team? Yes. Get behind the Chairman? No chance. He has done nothing to earn my loyalty and everything to lose it.
Mike Bates
25   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:04:58

Paul, I'm a proper blue with no money. Would you support me as chairman? To be fair like, I do have an A level in Business Studies so I probably would do a better job than Bill. This argument that he's a 'true blue' and 'has the clubs best interests at heart' is boring. As is the argument that if we got a new board it'd be chaos and we could end up like Leeds or Pompey, Brum. Yer, I put my hands up, we could end up like that...but why wouldnt we end up like Citeh, Chelsea, That Lot (Yanks MK II - although time will tell).

"Go look at Birmingham, Newcastle or Leeds before you add any response and think hard what it is you want."

I've thought long and hard about what I want...and it's success - success being relative to your starting point so for us it's CL qualification, cup wins etc. For that we need money in the board.

No matter what Moyes or the Players or Bill tells you, Paul, finishing 7th ISNT like winning the Champions League. Wanting to finish as the best of the rest, is NOT ambitious. And, to me, being happy with that makes you just as culpable as Bill for our club standing still.

Support the team. Yes. Support the board. No.
John Nelson
26   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:11:20

I'm sorry Paul but no - Billy Liar has had his chance. The man is beyond defence. I gave up due to the following:
- the embarrasment over Kings Dock and Kirkby;
- not confirming whether we are for sale or not;
- not "attracting" investement for 12 years;
- the Fortress Sports Fund bullshit;
- not buying any players for the past 2 years when not only are we desperate for numbers but also a few top acquisitions would have proven for sure the team's true potential;
- and the overall cringe feeling I get whenever he acts in front of the cameras (seriously the man is a whopper).

So in short: TIME TO GO BILL.

And to reiterate other posts, getting behind the team and supporting/slagging off Kenwright are two completely different things.
John Audsley
27   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:11:18

Oh dear

I've never read such utter drivel in years... and I've read all of Doddy's post before others ask.

Up the Blues everyday but Bluey can fuck off and take his yes men with him.

I had no idea till I read this that "New Ownership" was a guarantee that relegation was a dead cert. Anyway, no need to worry about that cos Bluey wont sell.

We will have to wait and get the front door key out of his COLD, DEAD HANDS to quote that gadger who originally fought the apes.
Andy Herbert
28   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:20:14

What a complete load of Bollocks from start to finish! Editors I understand the necessity to provide balance but this piece is probably the worst I've read.

I'll get behind the team, even the manager and staff. But I'll never get behind a man that has taken the club he supposedly loves and uses it as his play thing. He's lost the support of the loyal fans due to a catalogue of lies and spin doctoring that would make our political parties blush(no bias there lol).

This pre season is the final straw for me after the Kirby debacle and all the other issues that have been highlighted on this site over the years.

Shameful in the extreme!!
Dave Lynch
29   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:18:40

I'll get behind him.
While he's standing on the edge of a fucking cliff !

Are we talking about the same man who has his own supporters ejected from the ground for daring to suggest he was incompetent.

Then bans the Daily Post from a press conference for reporting it.

The same man who, as we all suspect is going to sell one of our senior players bang on deadline day to pay off some of the debt.

My gut feeling on this is it's Baines by the way.

That is the worst load of SHITE I have read in a long time and far outstrips Doddy's sycophantic ramblings.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you where a club plant.

Wake up fella and smell the coffee.
Steve Fletcher
30   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:28:41

Paul ? you did say you were setting yourself up for grief on this one! I won't go through all of your posting and whilst no-one doubts BK is a Blue, that line of argument has been and well and truly answered by others better than me.

However, whilst he may have stepped in at the right time, in the words of ABC (showing my age) "That was then, This is Now".
Lori Fekete
31   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:22:53

Moyes has got us out of the danger zone of the league DESPITE Kenwright, not Because of him.

Oh I get it now, it was a wind up. You got me!
Ciaràn McGlone
32   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:38:44

Paul,

Where exactly did you run into this 'derranged' Evertonian?

If it's all the same with you I think I'll refuse your offer to ignore the blatantly obvious facts about Kenwright's tenure ? or even his previous stint on the board as a 'Yes man' for Peter Johnson...

I wonder what this 'dribbling' incarnation of Ken Barlow thought of your two-bit arguments for continuing to 'support' Kenwright? (Not tolerate, acknowledge or even benignly accept ? You actually want us to SUPPORT this incompetent buffoon!)

Supporting Kenwright is like a new signing... give me fucking strength.

ps: Paul, you may pray you don't run into me.
Kunal Desai
33   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:48:09

Shit article, expected responses.
Danny Broderick
34   Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:57:57

Deary me!
Steve Cotton
35   Posted 17/08/2011 at 11:42:25

I personally think Bill Kenwright is happy with just outside the Europe places, because if we got one of the places we would:

a. need new faces for a bigger campaign and we can't afford them;
b. would be shown up in both the Premier League and Europe due to our vastly too small squad;
c. expectations would rise and he would be under increased pressure to actually do something positive.
Tom Owen
36   Posted 17/08/2011 at 11:54:33

When you say look at Birmingham, Newcastle and Leeds it does give me hope, hope that Billy Bullshit goes the same way as Carson Yeung only without dragging that team down with him!
Jay Harris
37   Posted 17/08/2011 at 12:05:57

Paul,
the CLUB was not in a mess when Kenwright took over.
There was a £5 million overdraft but a net asset position.

Following almost 12 years of lies, deceit and incompetence we are now almost assetless, massively in debt to the extent we have one of the poorest credit ratings in the football league and we have no plan to take us forward.

And you want to go on with this clown in charge???
Neil Humphreys
38   Posted 17/08/2011 at 12:15:16

Utter dirge.... Either you dont know your history, or you are a marketeers dream!
Daniel A Johnson
39   Posted 17/08/2011 at 12:24:25

Kenwright will be the downfall of this club,

We are gradually declining to Championship status.

We are the new Leeds, Notts Forest, Sheff Wed...........big clubs that got left behind due to mismanagement and short sightedness.

A few more seasons of zero investment and we will be heading only one way......DOWN.

Round of applause......
Nick Toye
40   Posted 17/08/2011 at 12:45:22

Wow, how many Ian Ross disciples are starting posts on this site recently?

You don't write a post like this, and then don't respond to comments, unless it's a futile attempt to support the chairman/board.

Why would anybody in their right mind feel that Kenwright deserves support. For what? He isn't doing anything for us to support him.
Alan Clarke
41   Posted 17/08/2011 at 12:48:32

Kenwright, Kenwright, ra ra ra, Kenwright, Kenwright ra ra ra.

Come one everyone, join in!

Kenwright, Kenwright, ra ra ra .....
Robert Johnson
42   Posted 17/08/2011 at 12:52:45

Wasn't it the departing Walter Smith who told Kenshite to get Moyes.
David Mathieson
43   Posted 17/08/2011 at 12:51:26

Daniel #39 "We are the new Leeds, Notts Forest, Sheff Wed...........big clubs that got left behind due to mismanagement and short sightedness" Who says if we go down like the mentioned clubs, we will not be the new Newcastle and come straight back up, a lot of people speculated they wouldn't come back up, maybe we would be better off for it.

"Kenwright will be the downfall of this club" I can imagine us going down under Moyes and him not having one single iota of blame for the stagnation of Everton over the last few years, he would probably keep his job too. It would just be Kenwright, Kenwright, ra ra ra.
Michael Brien
44   Posted 17/08/2011 at 13:00:51

We don't appear to be interested in other clubs such as Birmingham City, Portsmouth, Leeds or Leicester City except when comparing transfer activity? Yet in the case of the first 3 mentioned clubs all had/have owners who came in with big promises of success and mega transfer budgets. And any success was rather short lived, built on a foundation of sand. I recall when the Indian blokes gained control of Blackburn Rovers a transfer budget of £50M was mentioned. At the time that was used to have a go at the Everton management ? yet where is that £50M transfer budget?

Yes Blackburn have been active in the transfer market as have Aston Villa but only because they have been able to finance any such moves by the sale of some of their top players.

A balanced view ? well I am not in any Pro Kenwright group nor am I in any anti Kenwright lobby. Some of the arguments used though seem to me to lack a bit of credibility ? The most common one is that we haven't signed anyone yet ? or will we? Has everyone else been active in the transfer market? Take Spurs for example ? there is more talk of whether or not they will be able to hold on to Modric. Does signing players automatically guarantee success? I am not sure that it does.

One of the arguments used against Kenwright is that more often than not we have to sell before we buy. Are we the only club in this position? I think not, judging by the transfer activity this summer.

It's clear that most fans want Kenwright to go ? but to be replaced by who? Do we want a similar set up as at Chelsea or Man City? Karl Marx I believe once said something about Capitalism containing within it the seeds of its own destruction. Mega rich owners or consortiums may seem appealing but I personally believe that they will only provide short term success. I am not sure about Kenwright but neither would I (if I was a Chelsea or Man City fan) be too willing to be taken in by their owners. Will they still be around in say 5 or 10 years time I wonder? Oce they have made the money they want they will be looking for other rich pickings.

You want Kenwright to be replaced by some mega rich "sugar daddy" ? be careful what you wish for.
Tom Bowers
45   Posted 17/08/2011 at 13:23:03

Moyes has done a good job but not good enough. He has had some money to spend over the years but some has been spent wisely and a lot more wasted ? Bileyletdinov a prime example and Fellaini still to prove his worth.

Notwithstanding this his failure to change the modus operandi on the field is constantly a reason we lose many points in games we should win.

We have every right to call for changes and if Kenwright won't act then he should be forced out also. Oh yes, if you are content with being an also ran then by all means keep them both for years to come.

Simon Magner
46   Posted 17/08/2011 at 13:41:57

The part that worried me the most was this:

"He brought in a young, talented and motivated manager in David Moyes, who shared his vision and enthusiasm for getting the club back on track. Since then, we have managed to establish ourselves as a top 6-7 team, attract top players like Arteta, Cahill, Fellaini etc and enjoy some European football in-between ? as opposed to a relegation scrap."

OK, fair play. Kenwright was the man that employed Moyes (if we look past the fact that it was Gary Megson who he initially wanted to put in charge), but Jesus, talk about ambition. "A top 6/7 team who have enjoyed some European Football"? This is the point that some people seem to fail to grasp. 6th or 7th simply doesn't cut it for Everton Football Club. Taking into consideration the achievements of the manager up until 2009 then I would argue that 4th doesn't even cut it. We had the nucleus of a top team. We needed, and still do, two world class players (at the very least) and the potential of that squad was scary. The board let the team down, the manager down and the fans down. Forget all other failings in the past. The inability to move on from 2009 should be enough to condemn them.
Eugene Ruane
47   Posted 17/08/2011 at 13:49:30

Simon (46) Yeah Kenwright employed Moyes, but only coz Michael Winner's ex TOLD him to.
Anthony Doran
48   Posted 17/08/2011 at 14:01:59

We should have Goodison redeveoped to a 60,000-seater by now or we should have moved into a brand new 60,000-seater by now. Yes by now we should be fielding a team of players than can play some watchable free flowing attacking football thats pleasing to the eye and scaring the Bjebus out of opposition defenders. Every little helps but bargin basement soul/club destroying tescos was shown the fuck off door by Everton fans and for complete lack of anything better... BK... our chairman... would/should have been shown that door also long ago.
Martin Mason
49   Posted 17/08/2011 at 12:59:26

I agree with you Paul; there is too much gloom and doom. One thing that we have to remember, although many don't like it, is that BK is the Chairman of a Private Company and unless we are shareholders he has no obligations to us whatsoever, we are customers and nothing more now. The only thing we can do if we don't like it is to stop being customers.

One thing I'm also not happy about is the the concept of the future direction of the club (No, it isn't a club; it's a Company) being dictated by what may be a disgruntled, vociferous but small minority of fans. I'm not sure that the large majority of Evertonians necessarily want radical change.
Alan Clarke
50   Posted 17/08/2011 at 14:20:50

What do the majority want Martin?

I wouldn't dismiss the current feeling towards Kenwright as a minority, that would be very naive. Just read this post, there's only you and about 3 others out of 47 that offer any sort of support to Kenwright. The tide has been shifting for a while now and it's only the ones whose heads are in the sand that haven't noticed it.
Mike Elbey
51   Posted 17/08/2011 at 14:56:21

Martin,

Fair enough, we are a company and Kenwright only has to answer to the shareholders.

Just one point: isn't it Kenwright who has abolished AGMs and once infamously responded to a shareholders query of "How much are you asking for the club?" with the reply "I'm bored of this question, let's move on."

Wasn't Kenwright the same person who wheeled out the Fortress Sports Fund to the shareholders meeting in what proved to be a successful attempt to oust Paul Gregg ? only for the FSF to prove to be a complete myth?

The man doesn't communicate with anyone and the only time he is seen is when we are doing well or win a high profile game when he irritatingly acts like the greatest Everton fan ever to support the club. The bloke is an embarrassment.

Mike Hargreaves
52   Posted 17/08/2011 at 15:37:07

Buy you a pint Saturday mate, 30,000 plus will be happy and 51 miserable toffee webbers will just complain. I tell you, if someone looks a bitter blue, ask if they read ToffeeWeb. This site gets so depressing...
Andy Codling
53   Posted 17/08/2011 at 15:49:30

30,000 plus Mike? On my last glance today, only behind the goal in the Park End is unavailable, with tickets available in all other sections. We usually sell out opening day of the season by my recollection.
Mike Gaynes
54   Posted 17/08/2011 at 16:45:13

Questions to the congregation from someone with little knowledge of Kenwright:

Has he ever come out and said the club is for sale, or that he'd be willing to sell for the right bid?

Do we know for certain that bids have been received/entertained? Or is all the talk of him selling the club just wishful thinking?

And in all the opinions expressed here, I've never seen anyone make a prediction, so please do... will he eventually sell the club, or does he just love owning Everton and will hang onto it forever?
Dave Lynch
55   Posted 17/08/2011 at 16:54:06

The more I read that article, the more Ross soundbites jump out at me and bite me on the arse.

The fact you havn't responded to defend your piece also has me convinced this is just another piece of propaganda.

Put it on BlueKipper, they will lap it up.
Mick Gallagher
56   Posted 17/08/2011 at 17:02:38

So only 51 Blues complaining, Mike ,you want to have a good look around the city. Speak to the fans at the QPR game: I'm sure there are plenty pissed off.

Season tickets sales down and we can't even sell out for the 1st game. By the way, when did we last sell out a game?

Billy Bullshit will he be there or is there a new show in the West End he is off to? So, if he doesn't have to speak to the fans, why the fuck do we have to listen to him when things were looking better?

Gavin Ramejkis
57   Posted 17/08/2011 at 17:09:00

David #43 if we went down we'd likely go into administration if we didn't come back up quickly as we can barely service our debts now.

Michael #44 the teams you mention have bought players funded by player sales, Everton have sold players to .... don't watch this space to service debts, that's a big difference
Karl Meighan
58   Posted 17/08/2011 at 16:49:45

Paul, you're entitled to your opinion but WBA don't have a Billionaire owner so how come they can go and spend £7M on Long whilst we who have sold 2 players for £5M cannot compete at that level?

We are Everton FC ? not 'happy just to be in the Prem' nobodies which might make some happy but once you start accepting "Sixth is the best we can do" then why would any footballer with ambition want to ? sign even if the money was available?

You say Kenwright is better than Johnson and I would agree but could he really have been worse? The RS were owned by 2 cowboys and as phoney as they were they backed the manager in the transfer market plus once they were run out suddenly they are bought by a party out of the blue in about 1 week were as we have been for sale for how long? ? without a sole being interested. Many other Premier League clubs have changed hands with lots of them having no history no fan base a much worse squad than ours and to be honest not half the club that Everton is but they have had people interested in buying them and have been sold yet for some reason we seem to be like a bad smell who buyers stay well away from.
Craig Walker
59   Posted 17/08/2011 at 17:33:08

Give the guy a break. He helped find a good Joseph whilst working 24/7 to find investment. That can't be easy.

Karl Meighan
60   Posted 17/08/2011 at 17:19:19

Michael@44 Birmingham, Portsmouth, Leeds and Leicester, here is another 4 who have been sold Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and the RS and most of them seem to be doing ok and competing for honours, even the RS owners have put there money were there mouth is and are showing ambition.

There are no certainties but if the club is run well why shouldn't we expect to be able to strengthen every season? All we seem to be doing is selling players weakening a already small squad and standing still.
Paul Gladwell
61   Posted 17/08/2011 at 18:04:36

Michael Brien, you waffle on about other clubs not being too active in the tranfer market this summer, well guess what, mate ? it's getting close to two fucking years since we were and, in that time, every club in the whole country must have bought at least five players ? and did they all end up loaning players out to save wages? Even though it meant having a bench full of lads who have only just got pubes, nevermind played in a Premier League side... Wake up for christ sake.
Don Kiddick
62   Posted 17/08/2011 at 18:36:38

I need to go to spec-savers coz I can't believe my eyes and what I just read...
Barry Thompson
63   Posted 17/08/2011 at 18:48:40

Mmmm, Paul could be on to something here. Who would be the best up front, Stephen Hawking or Victor Anichebe, Stephen Hawking or Victor Anichebe, there's only one way to find out: ... Fiiiiiiight!!! No hang on thinking about it ? how much a month would Hawking cost us?
Michael Hegarty
64   Posted 17/08/2011 at 19:18:25

Nice one Paul, a bit of posititivity for once. I don't agree with everything in it and, as so many fans enjoy pointing out, Bill has made his mistakes. But there have been some positives; Finch Farm & The Academy?

I for one would am happy to see our money invested there rather than buying foreign mercenaries who don't know or respect the club and are just after a stepping stone/pay day (à la Heitinga/Bilic). How many other clubs are continually producing jems like Rooney, Rodwell, Barkley?

Some fans need to get realistic and stop looking at what Citeh/Chelski are up to. If we try and match the the teams above us, we will end up like Leeds. Remember financial fair play and homegrown rules are round the corner as well.

The way we are doing it is keeping us competitive and hopefully the board are learning from the mistakes they've made, so we can make the extra step up to challenge for the league.

You might say I'm dreaming but Barcelona have 11 homegrown players out of a core squad of 19.

Rob Murphy
65   Posted 17/08/2011 at 19:38:47

Time for some thrashy red top to pull off a string by trying to buy Everton to see exactly why nobody wants a sniff of the club!!
Andy Crooks
66   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:00:55

I have long waited on a decent defence of Kenwright. This isn't it.
Danny James
67   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:03:14

All we need is a multi billionaire Everton Fan to buy the club and our problems are over.
Chris Matheson
68   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:07:04

Hang on Michael at 64... Finch Farm a success?

We sold Bellefield (eventually) but we bought and then leased back Finch Farm. Maybe it is a tax dodge but it means that yet another asset, yet another piece of the family silver, has been disposed of without a replacement of tangible value. Indeed in terms of our balance sheet, our training facility is now a liability rather than an asset.

Andy (66) I agree, see my earlier post. The case against Kenwright is compelling, the case in his favour vaguely emotional.
Michael Hegarty
69   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:15:24

Chris #68. I mean a success in terms of it being a top class training facility that is producing top class young talent. Don't know about the dodgy financial side to it.
Dave Wall
70   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:50:49

Paul,
Well said, I agree with the majority of the points you have made. Bill Kenwright's only crime is not having enough money to push the club forward.

We need a new owner or new investment with billions of pounds to sink in to the club and, as we all know, there are hundreds, nay thousands of them hanging round street corners, in tears, because big bad old Bill won't let them!!!!! No really, I hear it on ToffeeWeb every day.

I am Everton fan, I love my team I watch my team home and away, and although I accept that Bill Kenwright isn't perfect, I refer you to my previous point if he had money he wouldn't be far from it.
COYB.

Gavin Ramejkis
71   Posted 17/08/2011 at 21:05:30

Finch Farm is just feeding the train up to sell business plan, if players are shite we get shut and haven't paid big bucks up front for them, if they are half decent we hope one of the Sky daahlings comes in for them at silly money and we get a stay of execution.

Do you genuinely hand on heart believe that if we turned out another Rooney he'd stick around for any length of time?
Michael Hegarty
72   Posted 17/08/2011 at 21:21:10

I hand on heart believe Rooney would have stayed had he not had his head turned by his agent and others around him. Same with Lescott and Pienaar.

How many of our top players have we sold against their will in the Kenwright era?

And if Finch Farm is a feeding farm where we produce enough that we can sell some on then it's a better plan than throwing stupid money at half decent overpriced mercenaries and ending up in debt that we can't cope with. (Portsmouth, Leeds, Liverpool pre-take over etc.)
Paul Knox
73   Posted 19/08/2011 at 15:18:41

Just had to say something. I thought it was funny, but are you wrong about Steve Hawkins ? he'd be better than who we have up front at the moment ? at least he has vision.

I agree when the pair got together it was working, but now it's not; both have got stale in their jobs.

Karl Meighan
74   Posted 20/08/2011 at 10:45:06

Michael@64 ime not saying spending money we dont have is the right thing to do but why would we end up like Leeds if that was the case? Suppose quality players were brought in who brought success, surely any manager would fancy there chances of getting in the Champions League places if they had big money to spend.

Leeds problem was they had a gobshite like O'leary buying overrated overpriced players. Also if youth is the way forward then we have to offer something different that makes us stand out for young players. Although we have had some success bringing young players threw,Finch Farm and Evertons Accademy is no different than that of every other Premier League Club.
Hari Munjanattu
75   Posted 22/08/2011 at 16:47:56

I have a been a fan since 2000 when I started using Everton as my club in the EA Fifa game. At the beginning, I did improve the squad's attributes. The manager and players remained the same.

Till now, what David Moyes has is what I have at my disposal. I love the players, because most of them do fall in love with Everton. David Moyes the same. Kenwright the same.

I say, the only thing that Everton needs is to put at least one jersey, anywhere in India, so that I can buy it. I can wear it and go watch Everton players play on big screen. I do a little marketing there. More fans, more jerseys, more fans! I might start using "we" for Everton.

I love the club, everything about it, even what happened before I was born. I do watch Everton players play. I have this thought that, our players play warm-up matches during first half of the season. They sometimes play beautifully as a team. The manager on the touchline, the same person for almost ten years. We have a beautiful history.

I'd like to see David Moyes end his career at Everton. That will make a history. We are lucky to have him. I guess he motivates the Everton players better than anyone can.

We have Arteta, Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Hibbert, Rodwell, Fellaini, Howard. We need some players with pace on the wings.

COYB!