Season 2011-12

Ship the kids out...

18 Comments: First  |  Last

ON LOAN!!

Good to see the likes of Mustafi and Duffy amongst a few others get a run out the other night but I don't see how a few minutes against a poor side is going to help their development.

I think the two mentioned ? along with Baxter, Wallace, Nsiala and Forshaw ? should have 6-10 months in the Championship to get used to playing proper football at a decent standard.

If they struggle badly then I think it's fair to say at their ages then they probably won't cut the mustard for us.

I don't see the point in having lads around the ages of 19-20 playing youth or reserves football.

Stephen Kenny, Liverpool     Posted 17/08/2011 at 10:20:26

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Duncan McDine
1   Posted 17/08/2011 at 14:27:00

Fair point Stephen... I'd probably go along with that. None of the players you've mentioned are in our first team plans at the moment (despite our lack of numbers), but I guess it might be pretty difficult to find them a championship club willing to give them a starting role. League 1 is probably more likely for most of the lads. Unfortunately I can't see any of them coming through.... but good to see that Barkley has that 'something' about him to give us hope.
Paul Olsen
2   Posted 17/08/2011 at 16:05:27

Duffy and Baxter, sure.

But, would the likes of Nsiala,Wallace and Mustafi posess enough quality to be of interest to championship sides?
Ian Tunstead
3   Posted 17/08/2011 at 16:12:01

I saw Wallace playing for England in the under 20's World Cup. Although he was at fault for the goal when they were eliminated against Nigeria, i thought he was by far Englands best player (although most of them looked dreadful).

He seemed quite composed on the ball, showed some good passing ability creating some decent chances. He showed some good skill and abilty all round, keeping the ball for the team in some awkward situations.

I hear he did well in the lower leagues last season, would be good to see him given a chance in the championship.
Gavin Ramejkis
4   Posted 17/08/2011 at 17:08:52

Players need to be playing but playing devil's advocate what happens if they get injured playing for someone else and how many can we loan out and still have enough for a bench as we've got sod all left as it is
Brian Waring
5   Posted 17/08/2011 at 17:23:33

Agree with you there Stephen. We need to see if these lads can cut it, if not, they need to be shipped out.
Dick Anderson
6   Posted 17/08/2011 at 19:00:10

I always think youth players should be automatically sold if they turn 21 and haven't broken into the first team.

If your not good enough for the first team at 21 then chances are you never will be.

The really good players come through as teenagers (Rooney, Rodwell, Barkley).

The likes of Wallace, Baxter, Forshaw, Mustafi, Duffy and Vellios are all turning 20 this season and must make some kind of impact.

If they dont I would move them on and give the next generation a chance. Dont forget the likes of Garbutt, Bidwell, Orenuga, Lundstram, Hammar and hope are coming up fast.
Dick Anderson
7   Posted 17/08/2011 at 19:13:33

Basically I'm all for Wallace, Baxter, Forshaw, Mustafi, Duffy and Vellios getting a chance to prove their worth but if they cant cut it lets move them on and see what Garbutt, Bidwell, Orenuga, Lundstram, Hammar and Hope can do.
Andy Crooks
8   Posted 17/08/2011 at 19:55:21

If Arsenal offer big money for Jagielka then Duffy should start along side Heitinga.He would be wasted in the championship. I sung the praises of Seamus Coleman long before he got his chance, in fact someone here said I must be related to him. Well, if Shane Duffy gets a run in the side he will be better. I am utterly convinced of this.
Andy Crooks
9   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:04:50

Dick, you might well be good enough at 21 to get in the team but might not be a favourite of the coach, He might well have players that he will never drop.
There are players who only show their best when given a chance, i.e an extended run in the side. How badly did Turner and Ruddy do in the reserves never to be given a chance?
I cannot accept that Moyes sees them in training and knows what's best. He needs to see them in the premier league.
Dick Anderson
10   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:21:03

Andy. I refuse to accept that David Moyes would not pick players because they were not his most favourite people.

Moyes picks his best players because he wants to win games and be successful.

Its silly to me that Moyes would pick a lesser player and reduce the chances of winning the game because he might be friendlier with one player then the other.
Dick Anderson
11   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:25:07

Andy Crooks your convinced that Shane Duffy is better then Phil Jagielka?? All he needs is a run in the side to prove it???

What are basing this opinion on?

The two appearances he made in the Europa League or have you been watching him regulary in the reserves???

Surely your not talking about last season where he went on-loan to Burnley for two months and only got into their team once???

Its a big statement to make that all that seperates Duffy and regular England International and 15 million Arsenal target Phil Jagielka is a run of games.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would expect if Phil Jagielka joined Burnley for 2 months they would play him more then once.
Dick Anderson
12   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:34:33

I must admit I am sick of David Moyes never giving the kids a chance.

He never gave a chance to that young lad.....what was his name.....Wayne Rooney.

And now all the youngsters are being blocked from the first team by the likes of Rodwell and Coleman.

And now this season we are undoubtedly going to have to watch old man Ross Barkley feature regulary.
David Thomas
13   Posted 17/08/2011 at 20:44:51

Dick,

He is basing his opinion on a few games he played for the irsh under 19's and 21's.

Andy, you must agree it's quite ironic that you criticise Moyes for playing his favourites and then start stating Duffy should get in the team. You certainly are patriotic.
Noel Lynam
14   Posted 17/08/2011 at 21:00:05

Andy,

You cannot accept that Moyes sees them in training and knows what's best? If he saw you, me or Michael Kenrick in training every day I am sure he would know we are not (yet) ready for first team football.
Dick Fearon
15   Posted 17/08/2011 at 21:39:54

I wish the club would consider shipping a bunch of em' to the Australian A League. The standard is fairly good and improving. Most games are physically competitive and would provide a tough introduction to senior football.
Crowd support is far greater and more demanding than the few mums and dads presently watching them. I am confident
It would do more for the lads development than molly coddling them in meaningless reserve or youth games.
Besides that, I am sick of decrepit cast off Poms that come down under for a last pay day before an age care home.
James Flynn
16   Posted 18/08/2011 at 00:33:38

I'm with Dick Fearon thinking (15). If Moyes sent them to MLS, they'd already have been playing for months in 1st-rate facilities before rabid fan bases.

The minor leagues are the minor leagues, any sport anywhere. Why have them sitting on their asses when they could be playing. The place for these kids is MLS. It doesn't follow the FIFA-preferred Fall/Winter schedule. At worst, they come back mid-season fit and with experience.

The Club has to think in a broader way. Waiting for the England Club football season to start, makes no sense. Players improve (or don't) by playing.
James Flynn
17   Posted 18/08/2011 at 00:54:00

Dick (12) - Good one. Best example of the need for sarcasm font.
James Flynn
18   Posted 18/08/2011 at 01:18:02

Andy (9) - "I cannot accept that Moyes sees them in training and knows what's best. He needs to see them in the Premier League".

Wow.