Season 2011-12

Everton Ladies

20 Comments: First  |  Last

Really random question...are Everton ladies financially tied to Everton?

If so, how much profit/loss comes from the venture and is it worthwhile?

I'd ask the responses to be business minded rather than "women should be allowed to play and it's great that we help" or "women should stay in the kitchen" etc.

If it has any net cost whatsoever I think we should pull out of the women's game altogether because it's an extravagance we cannot afford; however, if it's making us money, I'm all for it.

Dave Trudgeon, Runcorn     Posted 19/08/2011 at 19:45:11

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

John Ford
1   Posted 18/08/2011 at 20:18:21

Our women's team have done us proud in recent times and have a relatively high profile.

Asking for a response on business grounds is slightly ironic given the financial mess the club are in...so by that analysis shall we also ditch the first team?

Alienating 50% of the population isn't a way to improve our outlook.
Robin Cannon
2   Posted 18/08/2011 at 20:35:23

On that basis the club should probably give up on all its charity and community outreach work too.
Alex Kociuba
3   Posted 18/08/2011 at 21:27:47

Womens football is growing quite rapidly, particularly on a global scale. I would take the opposite view to the OP and say if they aren't financially tied to us, is it time they were!
Paul Olsen
4   Posted 18/08/2011 at 21:33:42

Without knowing any numbers, I can assume that whatever money they spend for a full season will still be well below a monthly wage for Arteta or Moyes...

Womenīs football lives on scraps, partly because the entertainment equals zero.

It has NO influence on the economy of Evertonīs men side.
Don Kiddick
5   Posted 18/08/2011 at 23:09:10

I am actually proud of our girls and the fact they are called Everton
Alex Kociuba
6   Posted 19/08/2011 at 02:09:14

Paul, the entertainment value of fishing is zero in my eyes as is american football and cricket. But there's still people who are entertained by it and therefore big business. Its only a matter of time before the ladies game grows domestically.
Paul Smiith
7   Posted 19/08/2011 at 07:16:49

What a rediculous statement. Our ladies are a very sucessful team, they are spreading the Everton name around Europe and the world and for me even if they were costing the club money it would be worth it. As Alex says the ladies game is growing so to be at the forefront of that is everything that Everton is about.
Derek Thomas
8   Posted 19/08/2011 at 07:46:50

Dave, put your tin hat on and a stainless steel cricket box.

All the old ladies of the male PC brigade and the long skirted hairy legged lesbians may be after you.

Womens footy eh, well why not, footy is footy, let them get on with it

I remember back in the early 70s(?) when Dickie ( cue bevis and butthead sniggers ) Davis on world of sport showed the winners of the WFAC ( or something ) in the shower/ bath after the game...we need more of that sort of coverage if we are to grow the game.
Derek Thomas
9   Posted 19/08/2011 at 07:54:38

PS; and that was back when a Brazilian meant Pele...Fwooooarr, hubba hubba etc
Erik Dols
10   Posted 19/08/2011 at 09:21:03

I didn't know people support Everton on a basis of financial health! Are you in favour of selling the complete 1st team squad and play a team without contract players as well? It would certainly make Everton money on the short run...
Michael Brien
11   Posted 19/08/2011 at 09:42:38

Dave & Derek - to say that you are ignorant would be an understatement .
Dave Trudgeon
12   Posted 19/08/2011 at 09:53:37

Okay, what "statement" did I make? I asked a question.

I don't have any personal views about women's football and their right to play the game. I do however notice that Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd don't have a particularly strong presence in womens football and they seem to be doing ok from a marketing perspective.

Also, from what I have read on here about how "proud" of Everton Ladies everyone is, it surprised me to read that the average attendance for an Everton Ladies home game is around 500-600 people.
And this is to Eric: no, my support of Everton is not based on financial health, my QUESTION was whether it is affecting our ability to spend!

Michael Brien
13   Posted 19/08/2011 at 09:59:01

Dave - with pofitability being the main motivational force in your argument..............you're not that other Dave are you ? Cameron the Thatcherite in sheeps clothing? How pofitable is the community work that Everton do ? Should we scrap that as well?

The Everton ladies team has achieved a great deal. Their record is in the best traditions of Everton FC. Not everything can be valued in monetary terms and I think their achievements have brought a great deal of honour and praise to Everton.
Michael Brien
14   Posted 19/08/2011 at 10:05:59

The most successful team in ladies football is Arsenal. Given how successful Arsenal have been during the "Wenger years" I don't think their involvement in ladies football has done Arsenal FC any harm.
Lee Mandaracas
15   Posted 19/08/2011 at 09:37:10

I think to question the ladies team (much more successful than the first team for the last several seasons) is absurd. People on here complain about Everton's marketing being poor but want to cut one of the elements of our team that are performing very well because there may, possibly, perhaps be a financial cost. WTF???

I am proud our ladies' team has so many England regulars and that we consistently challenge Arsenal for the top spot and trophies (even if the Gooners do usually pip us to the post!) What I would give to have as successful a first team.
Derek Thomas
16   Posted 19/08/2011 at 13:33:31

Oi, you there that man,( Michael Brien) off you go then, take your pick in which group you stand, 'Old Ladies' of the male PC pursuasion, Long skirted hairy legged lesbians or just plain humourless... left, right, left, right,

tosser

Irony...it's like goldy, only not as shiney or hard.

If the Mens team got to as many finals as the womens ( or is that wimmins ) we would be doing ok... fyi I class myself as a male lesbian ( hint; more not goldy stuff )

P.S. not long to the 1st game of the season.
Guy Wilkinson
17   Posted 19/08/2011 at 20:27:33

The problem is Derek your ironic humour is about as funny as a dead baby.
Derek Thomas
18   Posted 20/08/2011 at 00:47:45

Yeah you're probabley right, as I said roll on the kickoff.

Memo to self; If you can't say any thing etc etc.
Sean McCarthy
19   Posted 20/08/2011 at 02:00:10

My understanding is that the ties between EFC and Everton ladies are very loose at best and consist of little more than providing kit and a minibus to take them to away games. The women all get dropped off at the Rocket at the end of the M62 afterwards. So hardly going overboard with our links!!

Just coz they go by the name "Everton" doesn't necessarily mean they belong to EFC any more than Everton Tigers basketball club did. Ant they wore a variation of the club kit adapted for basketball.

Let's not get all pc here but womens football isn't great and claiming the relatively successful Everton Ladies as "our girls" is clutching at straws. I'm pretty sure the average Arsenal fan doesn't give a shiny shite about the fact Arsenal ladies are current League Champions (again).
Double glazing by Everton Glass anyone??? Surely we own them too!!!????
dou

Dave Trudgeon
20   Posted 20/08/2011 at 13:04:39

Sean I would genuinely like to thank you for your response, you were the only person to acknowledge my actual question.
So from what you've said, they share our name, not our money, therefore I have no issues with it.
I hope they do well