Season 2011-12

The line-up against City

72 Comments: First  |  Last

I always like to tell David Moyes what to do. Most times he ignores my advice and fucks up. You know what, though; he can pick the team this weekend by himself.

What does he do? Bring Heitinga or Neville into midfield? Start Drenthe? Play Cahill as a striker? Start Osman? (Well, that didn't need asking...)

Honestly, what should he do? Go for it... or settle for a point? At least we have options. Go without fear. We are as good as them.

Andy Crooks, Belfast     Posted 22/09/2011 at 22:22:41

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Joe Aylward
1   Posted 23/09/2011 at 04:48:57

IYKYH - we all know City cant cope with the deadly 4-6-0
Russell Buckley
2   Posted 23/09/2011 at 06:08:51

My line up would be:

Hibbert, Jags, Distin, Baines
Coleman, Fellaini, Osman, Drenthe,
Vellios

Subs: Neville, Heitinga, Rodwell, Bily, Barkley, Mucha.

Personally I'd like to see us go all out in attack. I'd rather watch us go down swinging than roll over and play dead.

I wouldn't be shocked if Moyes parked the bus hoping for a repeat of our win over Chelsea in the FA Cup last year.

To tell the truth I just want to win this one and will put aside my love of passing football for one game if we have to do it.
Russell Buckley
3   Posted 23/09/2011 at 06:08:51

My line up would be:

Hibbert, Jags, Distin, Baines
Coleman, Fellaini, Osman, Drenthe,
Vellios

Subs: Neville, Heitinga, Rodwell, Bily, Barkley, Mucha.

Eric Myles
4   Posted 23/09/2011 at 07:37:15

^Seeing passing football for one game would be a nice change Russell.
Declan O'Shaughnessy
5   Posted 23/09/2011 at 07:38:58

Andy: in what sense are we "as good as them"? In terms of history and club stature, then yes (traditionally we're a bigger club of course). But as good as them in terms of results or performances this season? Clearly we're not. As good as them in terms of squad ability and depth? No definitely not (in fact, I seriously think Aguero could end scoring more goals than the entire Everton squad combined this season (tongue only slightly in cheek)).

That's not to say that Everton can't beat Citteh this weekend, just that the odds are against us. To suggest that the way to level those odds is to give a speech along the lines of "Forget about them lads, you're better than them, You're a better team than them. Have no fear" is somewhat disengenuous. Footballers mightn't be the brightest stars in the night sky, but they're not that dim either. You can get away with that kind of speech once or twice in your career, and generally only when you're in charge of a much smaller club and playing in the FA Cup.

A far more sensible team speech would be along the lines of "Lads, you need to be at 100% today. Close them down with all the energy you can find, throw yourself in front of every ball, chase, harry, hassle, upset them. Start quickly, don't let them settle, keep going until the final whistle. And when a chance comes your way, for god's sake take it!".

All very banal, yes, and certainly not Roy of the Rovers stuff. But to suggest that we're as good as Citteh, man for man, and that all the players need to do is prove is, seems to me to be barking up the wrong tree.

Personally, I would definitely start Drenthe as his place could prove extremely valuable on the break (although granted you could just throw him on for the last 20 minutes - assuming you're still in the game at that point). I'd expect Bily to be dropped, given that he really hasn't done much in the last 2 games. Beyond that, who knows.

As an aside, if Moyes changed the habit of a lifetime (and god knows he won't) and set out with something like 4-3-3 (or another very attacking line-up) and we got beaten 5-0 how happy would people actually be? It's a questions I've asked before. It's all well and good pleading for attacking relentlessly, but if it leads to a heavy defeat, will fans stand up and admit they're happier with that than 0-0 or a 1-0 defeat, or will they simply call Moyes clueless, compain about how badly he got it wrong, and call for his head (again)?
Anthony Hughes
6   Posted 23/09/2011 at 07:57:25

When Moyes regularly goes 4-5-1 at home to some of the crap in the league do you think he's going to go gung-ho at City? No he isn't and i think tomorrow his usual cautious approach will for once be more suitable to the game.
Paul Gladwell
7   Posted 23/09/2011 at 08:09:11

Don't be suprised to see Neville pushed into the middle as Rodwell has been garbage in that position, I suspect he will have Neville dedicating his game to try stopping Silva having so much space, something Rodwell is just not good enough to do.
Chris James
8   Posted 23/09/2011 at 08:18:07

I think Russell's line up is pretty spot on, although I wouldn't be amazed to see Pip starting in place of Hibbert or even Saha given a reprieve.

That said, playing a defensive line-up with a big-man up front is for once exactly what we should be doing at the Etihad, if we go open and attacking that City side has pace and passing to rip us (or indeed anyone) apart it would be suicide to go there and attack.

Counteracting Silva and Aguero
will likely be at the top of Moyes agenda, although with our pace and purpose on the flanks and if Felliani puts in a good shift in the middle I think we could do a job here.
Tony Cheek
9   Posted 23/09/2011 at 08:03:20

Thats what he should say Declan, but think it will be more like "Well lads we always beat this lot so a dogs of war performance won't be necessary. And if you think I would play you young guns, Velli and Ross, you must be joking. Sorry lads, not enough experience for this one. Ten minutes for you two again. The plan is ten really good minutes holding our own, then fall back, park the bus and Tim will nick one at the end. That ok with everyone?" All players in unison "of course boss".
Richard Dodd
10   Posted 23/09/2011 at 08:43:57

Neville for Rodwell will be the only change from the Wigan game!
Graham Holliday
11   Posted 23/09/2011 at 08:51:17

It will be the same team as the last couple of league games, with only two possible changes:

Neville for Hibbert
Drenthe for Bilyaletdinov

Let's face it, Moyes is hardly a tinkerman.
Ryan Holroyd
12   Posted 23/09/2011 at 08:52:06

Hibbert Jagielka Distain Baines
Neville Fellaini
Coleman Drente
Osman
Kevin Tully
13   Posted 23/09/2011 at 08:59:43

A point would be good enough for me.
Dick Fearon
14   Posted 23/09/2011 at 08:56:16

Well well well, we got through an entire topic without once mentioning him upstairs.
None of this namby pamby wishy washy nervous Nelly stuff for me. I go for a clear and decisive victory with Timmy bagging a few.
We are Everton and will not be denied our rightful place at the top table.
Ain't nothin gunna stop us now!
We'll hang the Kopites one by one on the banks of the royal blue Mersey.
Davy will show Mancini who is the Daddy.
By golly am I up for it! Don't forget Judas Lescott who took the 30 pieces.
Yes Nurse I will take my tablets turn of the light.
Sam Hoare
15   Posted 23/09/2011 at 09:18:12

I fear bad things sadly but in adversity is often when we produce our most surprising displays. Would have thought Cahill and Osman up front with Neville or Heitinga coming in for Jack.

Gotta feeling that it might not be happy viewing but desperately hope i'm wrong. Think if we beat them this time it would comfortably top all the others.
Simon Atkins
16   Posted 23/09/2011 at 09:32:38

I dont want to sound like a hypocrite but this is surely the one game where 4-5-1 is a must.

City are on fire and to think that we could go there with an open attacking 4-4-2 formation and come away with anyting other than a spanking is madness. Look what they did to Spurs at White Hart Lane.

I am desparate for free flowing attacking football but we simply dont have the players to match this City team. So lets do what we do best and play Moyes' favourite system and try and grab something like we did last year
David Nicholls
17   Posted 23/09/2011 at 09:53:43

My line up would be

Hibbert Jags Heitinga Baines
Rodwell Fellaini
Osman Bilyaletdinov Drenthe

I think Moyes will play

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Neville Rodwell
Coleman Fellaini Osman
Ian Tunstead
18   Posted 23/09/2011 at 10:05:35

"So lets do what we do best and play Moyes' favourite system and try and grab something like we did last year "

???

I dont remember us trying to do that, i remember us battering them easily the last few games.
Anthony Millington
19   Posted 23/09/2011 at 10:19:56

I think Fellaini is over-rated. He is the most casual holding midfielder I think I've ever seen. Players run past him or beat him to the ball and he doesn't track back with them half the time. He gives away needless free kicks although he has improved on the amount he gives away. As said above he isn't even a great passer, has no pace and doesn't possess any real world class qualities in my opinion.

However, if we did sell him (if anyone wanted him) we would need a replacement because he is tall and wins alot of headers in the middle of the park. I'd also like to point out that it's no co-incidence that we always seem to go on good runs when he is injured.
John Crook
20   Posted 23/09/2011 at 10:26:32

I'd have Pip Neville in thre starting 11... he will be more fired up for this game than any other game. Hibbert has played well in the last 2 games but I'd go with Pip for this one at right back:
Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
Fellaini Heitinga
Drenthe Osman Rodwell
Subs: Mucha Hibbert Bily Saha Coleman Barkley Vellios
Ciar�n McGlone
21   Posted 23/09/2011 at 10:16:49

We are as good as them?

Andy, behave.

We can certainly give anybody a game on any given day - but we're nowhere near as good as they are.
Duncan McDine
22   Posted 23/09/2011 at 11:00:39

Ryan (11) - I'd go along with that as being our best chance of getting something from the game. Hoping hibbo stays put at RB
Stephen Kenny
23   Posted 23/09/2011 at 11:29:25

Andy,

You can hardly bemoan Moyes for team selection when you won't have a go yourself.

We are nowhere near as good as them player for player that's obvious.

What we can try to do is outthink them and outwork them, something Moyes has done regularly over the past few seasons.

One thing we need to do is keep the ball for periods to have a chance. That means playing Heitinga at the expense of the Jag.

We also need to be well organized so I would make Heitinga captain as he is a good communicator.

Our Midfield picks itself and IMO with Royston starting on the left theres no place for Leon for this game. Having pace on both sides means we can counter attack at pace with a goal threat on both wings.

We will also need to put a lot of pressure on the ball and be able to hold it up when we get it so I would play our most mobile 3 in the middle and Vellios up front who is quick and full of energy, he also works hard.

I would go with this

Howard/Mucha

Hibbo Heitinga Distin Baines

Rodwell Fellaini

Coleman Cahill Drenthe

Vellios
Steve Ferns
24   Posted 23/09/2011 at 11:38:38

Anthony (#18), I do not believe Fellaini is actually a holding midfield player. I believe he's a Gravesen / Arteta / Alonso playmaker type. He plays best in a 451 with a more defensive minded holding player along side him doing his running for him. He likes to sit deep alongside this type of player and try to dictate play. The only problem here is that he's not very fast for moving up the pitch and his long passing leaves a lot to be desired.

For me I'm reminded alot of Gravesen, in that he has a lot of weaknesses, but if they can be compensated for (by an excellent holding midfielder) then he can concentrate on his strengths and fulfill his potential. Problem is, Rodwell, Neville and Heitinga are no Lee Carsley.
Lee Courtliff
25   Posted 23/09/2011 at 11:35:41

I think Russ has got the team spot on. But Moyes will probably bring Neville back in. Sadly our good run against City has to end sometime and i think it will be tomorrow. Obviously i hope i am wrong.
Andy Crooks
26   Posted 23/09/2011 at 11:45:36

I was tired and emotional when I posted late last night. In the cold light of day we don't seem quite as good as them.
Steve Ferns
27   Posted 23/09/2011 at 11:43:17

I reckon Moyes will go for:

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines

Neville Fellaini

Rodwell Osman Drenthe

Cahill

I certainly feel he will play a false 9 / 4-6-0 formation and that he will employ some defensive minded midfielder down the right, be it Neville or Rodwell. I can only see him going negative for this game. I hope I'm wrong as I think such a formation would see us slaughtered.
Glen Anderson
28   Posted 23/09/2011 at 11:46:10

Pretty sure it will be a 9-1-0 formation from Moyes.
Ian Kearney
29   Posted 23/09/2011 at 11:59:45

I'm a big Fellaini fan, but his goal aside, in the last two games Rodwell has been the better player, I'd actually play both of them, Neville is a dreadful midfielder, and despite what the boo boys would have you believe, Rodwell hasnt been that bad since Arteta left and has shown some good signs.
Geoff Edwards
30   Posted 23/09/2011 at 12:01:17

Question: which top team in world/european football uses 442 as its default formation? Very few is the answer (The only one I can think of is Man U but with Rooney dropping so much off the main CF it becomes a quasi 4231 anyway).Why then berate Moyes for not using it?
Matthew Salem
31   Posted 23/09/2011 at 12:01:10

Nice one, Dick....that's the spirit lad!

I agree with what is already being said that a mix of being solid at the back and being quick on the counter-attack is the only way we'll have a chance to get something out of this (despite our wonderful run of results against them). I am not ashamed to admit that I shit myself in fear of Aguero and Silva.

I think we are great at being jammy bastards and disrupting play. It's not going to happen, but my line-up would be:

Hibbert/Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
Heitinga
Coleman/Gueye Fellaini Osman Drenthe

Ajay Gopal
32   Posted 23/09/2011 at 12:09:28

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Rodwell Heitinga
Osman Fellaini Drenthe
Cahill

SUBS: Mucha, Neville, Vellios, Barkley, Gueye, Bily, Coleman (no Saha/Straq)

2-1 to the Toffees . At the end of the day, it is 11 v/s 11... simple.

Ben Jones
33   Posted 23/09/2011 at 12:30:50

I think the same as Ryan's team - no 11. Looks a good team and I think Neville in midfield will help solidify it. Wouldnt mind Drenthe up there though, we're gonna be playing counter attack and Drenthe has plenty of pace for that
Dave Southon
34   Posted 23/09/2011 at 12:30:40

Our recent record against Citeh is very good, but the gulf in class has massively widened over the summer.

That said my choice our team would be as follows:

Neville - Jagielka - Distin - Heitinga - Baines

Osman - Fellaini - Rodwell

Drenthe

Velios

Now 5-3-1-1 may appear to be a negative choice, but I feel it gives us a compact look, which can help us keep Silva and Nasri at bay.
While picking 5 across the back should reduce space for their front 2.
Going forward, Drenthe can use his pace to scare the opposition and hopefully Osman and Fellaini can produce some probing balls for Velios, who I pick over Cahill due to our lack of width.

I expect to be shot down, but I view this formation as playing to our strengths and more importantly not giving Citeh the space to cause us damage.
Paul Gladwell
35   Posted 23/09/2011 at 12:48:34

Ian, I think Rodwell has been seriously poor the last two games and looks like a centre half playing out of position.
Ben Jones
36   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:09:40

I'd put Marcus Hahnemann in now. We've jus signed him... what a strange one
Ryan Holroyd
37   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:07:36

I personally hope Heitinga is no where near the team, especially in midfield.

Silva and Nasri would run rings around him.
Al Reddish
38   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:06:43

I think we will be unchanged from the last league game but will maybe put Neville in midfield replacing Bily and moving Osman to Bily's side
Ryan Holroyd
39   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:10:08

I agree with Geoff #28.

If any one could name me a top european club playing 4-4-2 I would like to know?

4-4-2 is very much a English formation and looks to be out of date.
Anthony Jones
40   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:26:52

Marcus Bent is one of very few forwards I have seen play well under Moyes in the "on your own" role. He had power, but also PACE. His finishing wasn't the best but he caused problems.

So, we have recently off-loaded Beckford and Vaughan, and in come Vellios and Stracqualursi. This leaves us with no pace up front, in a side that defends deep.

All hail the Moyesiah!

Ryan Rosenberg
41   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:27:27

Why do people want Cahill as striker when he is clearly struggles in that position, and Vellios has thrived their and scored?

I would play
Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines
Coleman Fellaini Barkley Drenthe
Cahill/Bilyaletdinov
Vellios
Brian Waring
42   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:27:52

Seriously wouldn't suprise me to see Heitinga and Neville both playing in a 5 man midfield, along with Fellaini, Osman and Rodwell.
David Moore
43   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:43:32

lets just go with a 1-0 win with cahill to score first paying 179/1
David Moore
44   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:45:44

make that 2-0
Jamie Tulacz
45   Posted 23/09/2011 at 13:53:29

Are we taking it that Saha has completely blotted his copybook now, and will be no more?

If so, would be nice to see Vellios starting up front (doesn't sound like the Straq is fit to start yet) but suspect it'll be Cahill with Osman supporting again.

Hopefully we'll see Drenthe on the left rather than Bily- he's done about as much in 2 games as Bily has in 2 years. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Neville or Heitinga in midfield with the big Fella, as a few have said
Mac Lloyd
46   Posted 23/09/2011 at 14:50:57

Can't see Velios starting as Cahill has done pretty well up-front in the past against the mancs. You need to push Clichy and Richards back or they'll bomb up and down those wings all day long so I'd put Coleman and Drenthe against them, although I'm not sure about Drenthe tracking back and his stamina to last the game (although it's got to be better than Bily's).
Rob Hollis
47   Posted 23/09/2011 at 15:12:05

Moyes might need telling how to beat Wolves or Reading but in the case of Man City he gets it right more often than anybody else.

Nailed on before a ball is kicked.
Norman Merrill
48   Posted 23/09/2011 at 15:24:22

I won't venture into picking a line-up for tomorrow, I will leave that to Moyes, reason!!
This is one fixture that the manager has got right, our record against the oil rich brigade, is superb.
The players who have performed in those games deserve all the credit, because they have worked their bollocks off, in getting the results
Just hope in continues Saturday.
Norman Merrill
49   Posted 23/09/2011 at 15:24:22

Just hope in continues Saturday.
Norman Merrill
50   Posted 23/09/2011 at 15:24:22

Just hope in continues Saturday.
Dave Southon
51   Posted 23/09/2011 at 15:37:10

We get the point Norman.
John Ford
52   Posted 23/09/2011 at 15:36:59

Dick Fearon for PM!

Although Id suggest to be on the safe side we start with 13 players. None of them with the surname Rodwell.

I really do fear for us tomorrow. Fuck me I hope im wrong but im wincing just thinking about it. Tevez and Bartobellismelli as your second string? Jeeez!
John Ford
53   Posted 23/09/2011 at 15:43:20

sorry Norman, didnt quite catch that.
Ian Kearney
54   Posted 23/09/2011 at 16:07:01

Paul, I wasnt at the West Brom game so I cant comment, but I thought Rodwell was Decent against Wigan, and showed a far better range of passing that will improve with confidence.

For all the talk of Carsley, he was at the very least 28 before his positional sense was at its peak, Rodwell is yet to have one real season in this role, if £20 mill came in for him fine, but it wont, we need to back youth now, theres no other way forward without money, playing Neville in midfield is something I never want to see again.
John Ford
55   Posted 23/09/2011 at 16:13:01

Ian, if Rodwell plays tomorrow, when he holds the ball just look at what happens ahead of him and then see just how much he misses. Simple quick ten /fifteen yard passes to feet to players running off defenders. Rooneys game is based around this and he gets the service. These passes have to come immediately, which means you have to see them straight away. He doesnt. This is the kind of stuff that good midifelders do instinctively.

He killed us off against Wigan. His range off passing is limited in my view because he rarely enablee us to operate in the space around the box.

Id love to be proved wrong though.
Andy Crooks
56   Posted 23/09/2011 at 18:26:32

Hibbert Jagileka Distin Baines

Coleman Fellaini Rodwell Drenthe
Bily

Andy Crooks
57   Posted 23/09/2011 at 18:31:10

Steve Moore
58   Posted 23/09/2011 at 19:01:45

Cahill and Ossie to score in a 2-1 win:)
The Team. Howard, Hibbert, Jags, Distin, Baines,Coleman,Neville, Fellani,Gueye,Osman, Cahill.
Brendan O'Doherty
59   Posted 23/09/2011 at 19:20:46

"By the way, is Saha done at Everton? If so, he joins a growing club. Johnson, Beattie, Yakubu, Beckford, Vaughan. The fucked by Moyes club."

Pathetic even by your standards Andy. You are clearly living in La-La land if you think we are as good as City. However I expect us to give them a game, with TC getting his usual goal.

Mike Green
60   Posted 23/09/2011 at 19:24:48

I think we'll score, but only once. So the final score by that rationale will something - 1. Will we keep them out? Doubtful. My heart with feet on the ground says 1-1, my head says it could be 3-1this time, I think they're out for a bit of blood tomorrow.

Hibbert
Jags
Distin
Baines

Coleman
Neville
Fellaini
Heitinga
Osman

Defend, Defend, Defend.

4-1(Heitinga)-4-1
Jon Cox
61   Posted 23/09/2011 at 18:11:06

The City of the past few seasons, even with their Billions sadly for us, is no more.

It was always going to be not if, but when they "Gel" as a team. After the Spurs game it brought it home to me that they unfortunately, for us had gelled.

Dave Southon, love your creativity. I like the "Park the bus" and have pace to counter attack. Lets face it City will have this problem in the CL all day long.

I would however replace Gueye for Rodwell, i.e. pace and guile. I like Jonny in the back five because he would with a pass, get the three in front on their way.

For subs, if it didn't work around the 46 min, take Gueye off switch Ozzy to the left to work in a triangle with Fellaini, and go for Coleman on the right.

It's not about 4-4-2 it's not about 4-5-1.

What it's about is the skill and the ability for a manager to evaluate the team in front of him and to set up the tactics needed to at worse, thwart, and at best to win.

So appart from the few changes I've made yeah, I'm going with the side and formation that Dave picked.

COYB

PS. Me and my boys made the trip from Cornwall for the cup game. My only question is, why the fuck did we, and the St. end only get going after ninety mins. Prediction, 2-2 and a well earned point (PAP) !

Andy Crooks
62   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:06:57

Brendan, fair comment. I'm annoyed that Saha is out of favour and annoyed that the same thing happened Yakubu. On reflection, however the comment is over the top.
Andy Crooks
63   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:09:23

This is just the sort of game where Moyes makes his detractors look foolish. I'll happily look foolish and eat a large helping of humble pie if he does.
Ryan Holroyd
64   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:13:08

To be Brendan Andy Crooks did say some time ago that, and I quote 'Shane Duffy is Evertons biggest asset' so it's not the worst thing Andy has said!!!!
Ryan Holroyd
65   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:17:48

By the way, I'd urge everyone to go to Everton TV and watch the interview with Gary Ablett. Powerful and moving interview.

The link is http://evertontv.evertonfc.com/.

Maybe admin could make this a 'sticky' or something??
David Thomas
66   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:25:29

Andy,

I presume that team is what you are expecting him to play and not what you would play?

After all you could not be suggesting that you would start the match without a recognised striker are you?

Sean Patton
67   Posted 23/09/2011 at 20:28:35

Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines

Coleman Fellaini Osman Drenthe

Vellios

Subs: Mucha,Neville,Jagielka,Rodwell,Barkley,Saha,Bilyaletdinov.
Andy Crooks
68   Posted 23/09/2011 at 21:02:16

Ryan, you may well mock but mark my words Shane Duffy will be a star. Without the life threatening injury I reckon he'd be pushing Jags right now. David it's not the team I would pick but I think it's the teams Moyes just might pick. My ideal team would have Saha instead of Cahill and Cahill(I just have a good feeling about him tomorrow) instead of Bily. Our best is better than City's second best. A win tomorrow would give me as much pleasure as any win in recent years.
Mike Oates
69   Posted 23/09/2011 at 22:09:11

Hibbert Jags Distin Baines
Neville Rodwell
Coleman Fellaini Osman
Cahill

The above team is an absolute cert

Subs : Mucha, Heitinga,Vellios,Denthe,Barkley,Billy, Saha
Brendan O'Doherty
70   Posted 23/09/2011 at 23:59:20

Fair enough Andy. I agree with you about Duffy BTW. Apparently we are 7/1 to win......tempting to have a punt.

Sam Higgins
71   Posted 24/09/2011 at 08:11:00

Southall
Cafu Baresi Distin Maldini
Coleman Zidane Felli Messi
Maradona Vellios
Mike Oates
72   Posted 24/09/2011 at 12:42:21

Post 68# , the only one who is right , get a grip everyone , Moyes isn't going to put out new players or young players against the Top teams !!!!