Season 2011-12

Team vs Liverpool

77 Comments: First  |  Last

Thought I might get first shot at picking our team for Saturday, so here goes.

GK ? Howard; not bad lately, has to command his box more with Carroll on the prowl.

LB ? Baines; our best player over the past few seasons for me. Our free kick specialist, and he is as good as any winger.

CB ? Jagielka; has to stop the constant hoofing, it's getting embarrassing now. He will need to be on his toes if they play Bellamy & Suarez, two very quick players.

CB ? Distin; still extremely quick. Been a solid start for him. Dependable.

RB ? Hibbert; good at jockeying forwards. Suarez will want to draw fouls, or penalties. I noticed Spurs' back line stood off him instead of marking tightly... seemed to work on the day.

LM ? Drenthe; just to get some much needed energy in to our midfield. We can't afford "zombie football" on Saturday. Unpredictable, but full of beans. I worry if the occasion may make him do somethig rash to Gerrard!!

CM ? Osman; knows what derbies are all about, can see a pass out of midfield.

CM ? Fellaini; some steel to combat Gerrard and Lucas. Covers a lot of ground and good for set-pieces.

RM ? Coleman; gives us some pace down the right. Did you know he was our fastest player against City? As fast as Silva ? I was shocked!

AM ? Timmy; needs a goal badly - but would you write him off against the bastards? Loves to score in a Derby, they will be watching him very closely indeed.

CF ? Saha; I hope Moyes has forgiven him. We have no other forward who will penetrate and keep the ball as well as King Louis. He likes the big games and has a point to prove.

Subs:?

Mucha ? hope not to see him.
Heitinga ? cover for injuries - unlucky not to start at CB
Rodwell ? he's been quiet, but improving.
Vellios ? good prospect;
Baxter ? great prospect, would trust him for last 20 to hold ball;
Bilyaletdinov ? sighhhh;
Stracqualursi ? looks unfit, an option I suppose...

Whatever happens, let's give it to those lucky cheating horrible shower. £100M my arse!!

Kevin Tully, Liverpool     Posted 27/09/2011 at 13:27:36

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
1   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:24:55

Apart from Baxter being on loan and a lightweight centre midfield, not bad!
Michael Kenrick
2   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:32:48

I don't understand playing with a striker. Liverpool have spent millions. We only have one option and that is to park the bus. To play with a striker and actually try to score will simply invite them to slaughter us.
Kevin Tully
3   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:34:35

Apologies chaps, meant Barkley (not Baxter) amongst subs.
Brendan O'Doherty
4   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:40:54

Very poor attempt at sarcasm Michael #2.

Marcus Kendall
5   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:47:38

Coleman Heitinga Distin Baines
Neville
Fellaini Barkley
Gueye Saha Drenthe
John Daley
6   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:45:56

WHAT? No Neville? The inspirational leader will be nailed on to start. He's a model pro y'know.
Marcus Kendall
7   Posted 27/09/2011 at 15:01:23

Funnily enough, as much as I don't rate Neville, these are the kind of games you need talkers in, so that's why I've got him in protecting the back four...
Mark Wayman
8   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:57:55

Certainty that Neville will start, maybe in midfield with Hibbert at RB.

We need to play with Drenthe and Coleman on the flanks, give THEM something to think about with their dodgy defence, rather than us focusing on just nullifying them and pinching a goal. I'm not sure Drenthe is able to play out a full match but would rather he started than came on late. I doubt it will happen though.

If Cahill is fit I assume he will start up front alone.

Howard Don
9   Posted 27/09/2011 at 14:59:41

Kevin, I'm 50-50 Rodwell/ Drenthe. Agree Drenthe's pace promises something explosive from midfield, but Jack played very well on Sat against City and is beginning to look solid. In a Derby when it's usually very tight at the start I'd go for Jack with Drenthe to come on later. I agree it's time to go with Saha and I'd put Gueye on the bench instead of Baxter (on loan) Also I go with your gut feeling Timmy's due a goal he loves Derby games, can mix it and will draw plenty of attention from their defenders.
John Daley
10   Posted 27/09/2011 at 15:09:24

Neville Baines
Jagielka. Distin

Fellaini. Rodwell

Coleman. Barkley. Drenthe

Peter Murphy
11   Posted 27/09/2011 at 15:30:13

#2 Sarcasm?, I thought that was a Moyes post until I read the name.
David Thomas
12   Posted 27/09/2011 at 16:09:23

I know the game is all about opinions, but i would personally be very scared if the team in post 5 was the team that started the derby.
Peter Murphy
13   Posted 27/09/2011 at 16:57:46

The inescapable and sad fact is that currently, we have a manager of Everton FC, who is at this very moment, in all seriousness, very probably, actually considering starting a home derby with no strikers in the line up.
Ajay Gopal

Cahill

Subs

Drenthe, Hibbert, Hahnemann, Stracquilursi, Vellios, Heitinga, Barkley

2-1 to Everton
Mick Davies
16   Posted 27/09/2011 at 18:26:26

Hibbert? FFS won't some of you ever learn from experience, he is a disaster waitnig to get sent off, give away a pen. or a free kick right on the edge of the area, or throw himself on the deck as a player flies past him. Should never have played again for EFC after the Cup Final
Paul Ferry
17   Posted 27/09/2011 at 18:32:36

Jagielka has been shite this season and he needs to be on the bench for this one. Push Coleman back to right back and put some width on the flanks in midfield. Saha my fucking ass; get Vellios in the middle of things up front.

Coleman - Heitinga - Distin - Baines
Drenthe - Fellaini - Rodwell - Barkley
Cahill
Vellios

SUBS
Mucha - Jagielka - Gueye - Bilyaletdinov - and our Denis
Kevin Hudson
18   Posted 27/09/2011 at 19:47:17

Play Hibbert up front.
Sean McCarthy
19   Posted 27/09/2011 at 20:43:14

Mick Davies.....youre talking out yer arse!!
Steven Bennett
20   Posted 27/09/2011 at 20:41:03

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Rodwell Heitinga Felllaini Cahill Osman Barkley

If were lucky :)
Andy Peers
21   Posted 27/09/2011 at 20:31:10

I think Moyes would love to have Howard and Mucha in goal then Neville-Hibbert-Jags-Baines-Duffy-Coleman-Rodwell-Mustafi-Heitinga.

It would be his perfect team for a 0-0 scoreline that we are always trying to achieve against teams that spend more than us (wait a minute, that's every team).

The 2-9-0-0 formation should be put to the powers above in the FA so Moyes doesn't have to worry about talking or dealing with naughty strikers and their stupid idea of wanting not only to play but to score.

Ryan Holroyd
22   Posted 27/09/2011 at 20:56:36

Who is this Heitinger?

Have we signed a new player?

GK: Howard
RB: Hibbert
CB: Distain
CB: Jagielka
LB: Baines

RM:Coleman
CM; Fellaini
CH: Rodwell
LM: Drente
AM: Cahill
CF: Saha
Michael Kenrick
23   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:03:30

Who is this Distain?

Or is that what I should hold you in?
Pat Finegan
24   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:04:33

I love watching Heitinga play in the derby. Always looks ready to throw an elbow or two. Don't really see him playing though unless we're winning and he comes on as a sub.
Ryan Holroyd
25   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:12:38

I mean Distin in post #21
Ryan Holroyd
26   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:19:26

Ah, you've already corrected me Michael. Cheers.

Vijay Badhan
27   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:11:30

Coleman Jagielka Heitanga Baines
Gueye Felliani Rodwell Drenthe
Barkley
Saha

Subs, Cahill, Distin, Bily, Vellios.
Anthony Flack
28   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:24:15

Neville Jagielka Heitinga Baines

Coleman Barkley Bilyaletdinov Drenthe Cahill

Subs Mucha, Hibbert, Gueye, Vellios, Fellaini Distin

A bit different I know - but serious. I have seen Fellaini several times this season and body language is all wrong, languid and arrogant. I have seen Billy as well and he has been crap, but I would stick him behind Saha and swap him and Cahill back and fourth....
Anthony Flack
29   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:31:56

Crap I forgot about Osman, says it all. Anonymous since the Villa game......
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
30   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:28:36

I don't think I did yet... but I can for a small fee.

I'd corrected the Heitinga one before I saw your comment tbh. Maybe we should do the ToffeeWeb Spelling Bee (has that particular Americanizm made it to the UK yet?)

Ah... trusty Wikipedia:

"In the United Kingdom a spelling bee for schools is run by The Times newspaper. It was started in 2009."

Why is it called a Spelling Bee anyway???
Ryan Holroyd
31   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:38:53

Coleman Barkley Bilyaletdinov Drenthe Cahill

That midfield would get murdered in a derby in any game actually. There is going for it and going for it!!
Ian Bennett
32   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:53:17

Please god a win.

Mine is 4-5-1 with Drenthe told to push on:-

Howard; Neville, Jagielka, Heitinga (just for the clattering factor on the diving reds), Baines; Coleman, Drenthe, Fellaini, Osman, Cahill (mid), Vellios

I suspect Saha, Rodwell and Hibbert will get the nod over Coleman, Drenthe and Vellios.

Ian Edwards
33   Posted 27/09/2011 at 21:58:36

Neville Distin Jagielka Baines

Coleman Fellaini Osman Drenthe

Vellios Saha

442. ATTACK
James Flynn
34   Posted 27/09/2011 at 22:10:21

Michael (29) - An Americanism, bee is.

The NFL is an outgrowth of rugby. The origin of bee is like that; an English thing morphing into something else overseas.
Ciarán McGlone
35   Posted 27/09/2011 at 23:01:25

we should probably start with Fellaini up front, probably best to put young jack on Lucas for the whole match and leave the airfield creativity to Heitinga and Neville. Of course Osman should be on the wing where he excels - and of course we mustnt forget the 'in form' Jagielka. Who else do we have who can. hoof the ball aimlessly upfield with such panacea.

Don't forget we also need a knife at right back just in case theres any shooting. We wouldn't want west side story breaking out on the edge of our box.
Ciarán McGlone
36   Posted 27/09/2011 at 23:10:21

sorry. Stupid mobile.

Airfield - midfield
Panacea - panache

I also forgot Cahill, who's been superb this season and definitely deserves to start.

Can't wait.
Matthew Salem
37   Posted 28/09/2011 at 00:10:22

Andy, I would like to make a slight amendment to your line-up:

Hahnemann Mucha
Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Neville Heitinga Mustaphi
Dier

I think the reason we lose games is because we concede goals. And we've only had a single clean-sheet thusfar against Blackburn. I think my line-up has a better chance of succeeding than yours, Andy...
Mark McDonald
38   Posted 28/09/2011 at 00:34:40

If ever a game had TIM CAHILL GOAL !written all over it then this is the one! Hopefully it is the winning one and not a consolation. I thought he may get one v City but obviously he is saving it for this game. I just hope he is not upfront by himself at HOME!
Andy Peers
39   Posted 28/09/2011 at 00:36:10

Matthew,
Sad part is Moyes sets up a team not to concede goals and we do it anyway. I wish Moyes would come up with a solution quickly and quit acting like this is his first season being our manager. Your team is safer than mine so forward it to the manager.
Ryan Rosenberg
40   Posted 28/09/2011 at 01:12:03

Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines
Coleman Fellaini Barkley Drenthe
Vellios Saha
Russell Buckley
41   Posted 28/09/2011 at 05:28:55

I think Moyes will go with:

Hibbert Jags Distin Baines
Coleman Fellaini Neville Osman
Cahill

I'd go with

Neville Heitinga Distin Baines
Coleman Fellaini Osman Drenthe
Cahill
Vellios

Saha to come on around 60 mins in and Barkley to get a run in centre mid and Bily to come on late in Cahill's role to try and hit a cheap shot.
Mike Green
42   Posted 28/09/2011 at 07:41:25

I think Moyes will go with exactly the same starting line up he did against City. I'd go with

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Neville
Coleman Fellaini Osman Drenthe
Vellios

Cahill as impact sub,
Heitinga as **** 'em up sub. Barkley as fresh legs sub. Saha as sulky sub.
David Mathieson
43   Posted 28/09/2011 at 10:33:56

Mark 36
I hope you are right and Cahill gets a goal hopefully the winning one.

"I just hope he is not upfront by himself at HOME"

I think this will sort of be the case but when Cahill plays the furthest forward we play a 4-6-0 no strikers; Cahiil is definitley an attacking midfielder in this setup, with 5 midfielders behind him, two of which are defensive midfielders- sadly this is true.

Lin Jinli
44   Posted 28/09/2011 at 10:41:16

Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
Coleman Fellaini Osman Drenthe
Cahill

Subs:
Mucha, Heitinga, Hibbert, Rodwell, Gueye, Barkley, Vellios
Andrew Conroy
45   Posted 28/09/2011 at 10:51:36

Fuck Saha.
Mick Gallagher
46   Posted 28/09/2011 at 11:52:10

I'd play Rodwell ahead of Osman from the original post.
Tony J Williams
47   Posted 28/09/2011 at 12:31:22

I don't think a Derby is the right time for Vellios to start, he won't know what has hit him....well he would, Carragher, when he goes through the back of him within the first 5 minutes but doesn't get booked because...you know...it's a Derby and it's all part of it etc etc

Stracula? Who knows, haven't seen enough of him.

Saha, give him 30 mins and he will pull up like a lame horse or just play shite for 80 minutes before being pulled off (oh er missus)

That's our fulllist of strikers...not good reading is it?

Blag Hardman Heitinga will get sent off, as will Drenthe, after passing the ball for the nth time to a Liverpool player and sliding in because of the boos of the ever loving and forgiving Goodison crowd.

Christ, does anyone want my ticket....... fecking hate Derby games.
Andrew Laird
48   Posted 28/09/2011 at 12:42:35

'Best Quote of the day award' goes to matthew #35 ........ " I think the reason we lose games is because we concede goals."...... you THINK?????
Brian Waring
49   Posted 28/09/2011 at 13:04:13

It will probalby be the same11 that started against City.
Neil Pickering
50   Posted 28/09/2011 at 13:30:03

I dont mind what team plays, just please please no Bily!

Anyone else see the irony in him presenting the OS disability player of the year awards? I know that is so unPC but i just couldnt help myself sorry!
Peter Fearon
51   Posted 28/09/2011 at 14:26:42

Michael - Bee as in Spelling Bee comes from the Middle English word bene meaning prayer or favor. The world was used in a corrupted form from the 18th century in the US for a wide range of community activities, especially for charity - Sewing Bee, Spinning Bee, Knitting Bee, Baking Bee etc. Spelling Bees were originally part of rudimentary education before formally organized schools were available. Just Saying. Also: Heitinga in the back four for added grit. Drenthe for pace and power and Stracqalursi in the mix as an X-Factor.
Matthew Salem
52   Posted 28/09/2011 at 14:49:22

Andrew #47...sarcasm does not seem to be your strong-point. Read the entire post, mate...
Stephen Doyle
53   Posted 28/09/2011 at 14:51:10

Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Coleman Fellaini Barkley Drenthe
Cahill
Vellios
Aidy Dews
54   Posted 28/09/2011 at 15:15:19

I've got a funny feeling he'll pick the same team he did against City for the derby, or he'll drop Hibbo or Neville for either Saha or Drenthe.

I don't think or expect there to be too many changes on Saturday.
Alan Khan
55   Posted 28/09/2011 at 15:36:16

Neville, Jagielka, Distin, Baines
Coleman, Cahill, Fellaini, Drenthe
Saha, Vellios

Subs: Mucha, Heitinga, Hibbert, Osman, Rodwell, Barkley, Stracqualursi

COYB.... Everton 2 Liverpool 1 ? and I'm not talking about shopping malls! :)
Mike Elbey
56   Posted 28/09/2011 at 15:41:15

Howard, Henneman, Mucha
Hibbert, Jagielka, Distin, Baines

Neville, Fellaini, Rodwell, Heitinga

Moyes's Dream team, how could we concede with that? Time to bash one out!!!
Anthony Fox
57   Posted 28/09/2011 at 16:49:13

No matter what he does unless we win he will get slated #FACT
Paul Niklas
58   Posted 28/09/2011 at 17:43:18

Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines
Fellaini
Drenthe Rodwell Bilyaletdinov
Barkley
Saha

Barkley's best position for me.

Jags hoofs the ball to much for me so would not suit this line-up.
Steven Bennett
59   Posted 28/09/2011 at 19:16:14

Ian Edwards@32. We can dream!
Andy Crooks
60   Posted 29/09/2011 at 00:21:24

Osman. Cahill and Neville will start.
Sam Hoare
61   Posted 29/09/2011 at 08:16:50

Does anyone remember how bad we were at the start of last season with Cahill and Saha up front? It did not work at all.

Not sure what the best alternative might be. Would love to see Saha and Vellios but think its more likely to be Cahill and Osman.
Martin Mason
62   Posted 29/09/2011 at 11:45:48

It's horses for courses and the startegy that was adopted for the City game won't be duplicated for a home game against weaker opposition. Moyes will probably start with Cahill up front behind Saha. I doubt very much that he'll start with Drenthe in the side. Rodwell will almost certainly start, Everton's management will have rated his performance marking Silva out of the game as very good.

My guess is that he'll find a place for Osman and that will probably be left midfield. Velios and Drenthe will be kept as impact subs as will Barkley who seems to have pissed on his chips with the mistake against Blackburn. I think the choice is between Barkley and Rodwell with Jack to get the nod. Hopefully it'll be Hibbert at RB because he's our best. Jags, Howard, Baines, Distin, Fellaini all pick themselves and I think that Coleman is our only genuine RS midfielder.

Hibbert, Jags, Distin, Baines
Coleman, Fellaini, Rodwell, Osman
Cahill
Saha

Despite what some think Moyes isn't stupid and he knows exactly who is best fit to start up front. He obviously believes that Velios needs bringing along carefully and that Stracquilursi is a mile away so for me the team will pick itself.

I'd like to see Drenthe at LM but I believe that he will always start Osman and see how it goes. 2-1 to Everton but I don't care if it's a spawny 1-0 in 2nd half injury time. We need to save our best for Anfield. Please God, I don't ask for much but please let it be the double this year.
Steve Payne
63   Posted 29/09/2011 at 18:30:40

Assuming Cahill is not fit to start, I expect Moyes will find a spot for Neville, and push Fellaini forward to help the hoof, while Osman will get stuck out on the left. Think the team will be;

Hibbert, Jagielka, Distin, Baines
Neville, Rodwell
Coleman,Fellaini,Osman

I'd prefer;
Hibbert, Heitinga, Distin, Baines
Coleman, Rodwell, Fellaini, Drenthe
Osman
Vellios
Iain Seaton
64   Posted 29/09/2011 at 21:25:17

Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines

Gueye, Fellaini, Barkley, Drenthe

Vellios, Stracqualursi

4.4.2. Any takers? Trust the defense and have a go?
Kevin Hudson
65   Posted 29/09/2011 at 21:35:43

Tourettes

Jags Dizzy Johhny

Screech J-Rod

Beamish Baines

Blue Kangaroo

Stracq Drenthe
Colin Wainwright
66   Posted 29/09/2011 at 21:49:11

Southall

Stevens Ratcliffe Labone Baines

Ball Reid Harvey Sheedy

Lineker Ferguson

Can i go back to bed now?
Iain Seaton
67   Posted 29/09/2011 at 21:58:43

Yes Colin, do us a favor and hit the sack. Why do some fans insist on banging on about the past. We still have a decent squad, positive (current) team suggestions?
Colin Wainwright

Cahill

Colin Wainwright
70   Posted 29/09/2011 at 22:19:07

Sorry I meant Iain.
Iain Seaton
71   Posted 29/09/2011 at 22:16:24

Likewise Colin, nothing positive to add I see. Enjoy the best of DVD.
Pete Gunby
72   Posted 29/09/2011 at 22:12:26

Rumour has it that Moyes is going to gamble in this game and try a more attacking style. Look for nine men behind the ball with Cahill free to roam at least forty* yards from our goal.

*thirty five yards in the 1st half - Moyes doesn't want to be branded as..... wreckless. Next thing you know he'll have the team running with lolly's in their mouth or swimming immediately after lunch. Chaos and mayhem to follow
Colin Wainwright
73   Posted 29/09/2011 at 22:22:01

Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines

Rodwell Fellaini

Coleman Osman Drenthe

No fun on this post.
Colin Wainwright
74   Posted 29/09/2011 at 22:25:09

Iain. WTF?
Colin Wainwright
75   Posted 29/09/2011 at 22:34:01

Seriously, Iain.
What do you mean by 'Enjoy the best of DVD'? Can't work it out lad.
Gavin McGarvey
76   Posted 29/09/2011 at 22:33:20

Though I'd be very surprised if Moyes went 4-4-2 (nobody seems to these days). I quite like Alan's team (post 55). If we do go 4-4-2, I wouldn't want Fellaini and Cahill in the centre of midfield, I'd stick in either Barkley for the brains, or Rodwell for the muscle, ahead of Cahill. Cahill needs to part of a 4-5-1 to play I think, and to be honest does anyone really think Moyes will play anything but 4-5-1? Doesn't seem too likely. COYB.

p.s. noticed that a number of posters are suffering from pre-derby nerves, hence the traditional infighting:) I imagine we'll be ok. After all when we have been playing well we've rarely done well in derbies, whereas when we're struggling we always seem to get something out of them.

Jason Lam
77   Posted 30/09/2011 at 07:46:03

One is for certain, Osman will play, and will inevitably fail to make any impact against the shite. My pick:

Hibbert, Jags, Distin, Baines