Season 2011-12

Do Everton Fans do mechandising?

16 Comments: First  |  Last

My wife and I were in Liverpool for the weekend last weekend. We were at our hotel by 11am Friday Morning and only got the bus for the airport at 1pm from Lime Street on Sunday.

During this time, I only saw people wearing Everton mechandise on two occasions. One was in a pub while we were watching the game. There were three people sitting behind me wearing Everton tops. The other time was on the Sunday when I saw a bloke on his own come out of a shop wearing a home jersey. There were any amount of people wearing Liverpool stuff, walking around all weekend.

We were staying in a hotel on Hanover Street, just up from the Liverpool One shopping precinct, and we generally stayed around the Albert Dock, Duke Street, Briscoe Street areas with our sight-seeing. Maybe it was just the part of the city we were in but even on the Saturday, between it being game day and a day to come into town shopping, I would have thought I would have seen a lot more people wearing Everton merchandise.

For me, though, I must say that one of the highlights of the weekend was getting in to the Everton 2 store. I was literally like a child in a sweet shop on Christmas or his birthday. In terms of merchandise, we get next to nothing over here, so to actually have that much choice was just amazing. My son, who was half-reared an Arsenal fan by his uncles and granddad before I came on the scene, even got some stuff brought home.

I didn't manage to get out to Goodison Park though. Considering we don't get away that often as a couple, our son is special needs, I wasn't going to push my luck as I got to the store and also got to watch the game in the pub. But anyway, that's a different post altogether.

Anyway, back to my original point. Can people explain why I didn't see more mechandise being worn? Was it just where we were staying, was it just that we don't do it as a set of fans, or is it just the apathy around the club at present?

Kieran Fitzgerald, Dublin     Posted 30/09/2011 at 17:14:52

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 30/09/2011 at 20:57:38

Some possible explications:

1) All good shirt-wearing Evertonians were at the game... and subsequently too depressed to wear the shirt.

2) As Bill Kenwright famously said, "Evertonians don't do replica shirts."

3) It was wash day.
Tony J Williams
2   Posted 30/09/2011 at 21:55:18

Loads of Everton "gear" in my workplace and at the gym tonight.

Fellas usually wear replica kits at the game or when playing 11/5 a side games. Not many, that I know or see, wear tops just as a top. (loads of training gear though and the Tacchini stuff is brilliant too)
James Morgan
3   Posted 30/09/2011 at 22:03:14

I live 20 minutes from Liverpool and have worked there on a number of occasions and the way I see it is Evertonians actually display their pride more than the red shite, whether it be car stickers, clothing, door numbers or whatever.
That's just my view anyway, mate.
Mike Hughes
4   Posted 30/09/2011 at 22:09:25

Liverpool One is for tourists - hence the Norwegian reds you saw on a cheap Easyjet weekend..

Dick Fearon
5   Posted 30/09/2011 at 22:15:31

In the off season on a cold wet windy night in Perth Australia, few people were out and about yet the only wearers of football shirts to be seen apart from myself were a couple of visitors from Adelaide, a local and his wife and a bloke from Sydney.
All of us were in good spirits for this upcoming season.
John Daley
6   Posted 30/09/2011 at 21:52:18

I've never really 'got' rocking around in a replica shirt to be honest. If I was into racing I wouldn't go out dressed up like a fucking jockey. I used to get kits when I was a kid, purely for playing footie in, but never bought another shirt for over fifteen years. I then got three on the bounce in successive seasons and only ever wore them whilst doing shitty, horrible jobs around the house like painting, grouting or having a go on the girlfriend.

It just seems a bit weird to me when a grown man is walking around in a football shirt, with 'official premier league badges' of course, and the name of a player young enough to be his son splashed on his back.

It's even more weird when that same grown man has grown to the size of a fucking wooly mammoth and is trundling along, with moobs and a massive gut, in what is supposed to be an item of sportswear. Yes, that grown man is called Yakubu.

So, yeah, I don't do replica shirts but I know plenty of people who like them and wear them out and about even if it's not a match day. I think Kenwright was talking shite when he claimed only Geordies buy them. Geordies might be the only supporters who are daft enough to shell out for exactly the same shirt every year though. I know Everton can't change their design much but the Newcastle shirt must be a nightmare. 'Haway man, this seyasans kit is teotally different like, it's gorra thicker black stripe on the back, ya bastard".
Kevin Hudson
7   Posted 30/09/2011 at 22:59:10

Feel kind of embarrassed now..

Sitting here in my living room nursing a brandy & wearing my replica "Hafnia" 1984 FA Cup Final top.

Happily, no "moobs," to speak of though..
John Daley
8   Posted 30/09/2011 at 23:14:12

You score points for the brandy though. All you need now is a cigar ( "rolled on the thighs of a virgin").
Mike Green
9   Posted 01/10/2011 at 06:00:14

Keiran ? I've had similar thoughts, only to look down to see I'm not wearing an Everton top either. Were you?
Chris Kennedy
10   Posted 01/10/2011 at 08:23:59

Everton has improve it's retail outlet over the past couple of years and now produces a good fashion range(as you will have seen in the store). The days of it just being the replica kit to show your support are gone. people now show their pride with a more urban approach. COYB. EFC 2 - 1 LFC IMWT
Mark Yeomans
11   Posted 01/10/2011 at 10:09:00

John Daley... that post was genius: "a thicker black stripe on the back ya bastard"....! So true!
Brian Hill
12   Posted 02/10/2011 at 07:25:47

I don't think Evertonians need to advertise our allegiance by the wearing of club appurtenances. We are immediately recognisable by our dignity, bearing and innate superiority. It is a common experience for me, whilst pounding the paths and byways of Cape Town, to have tour guides point me out to their awestruck clientele with the words: "Look, that man is an Evertonian; he is dignified, innately superior and appurtenance free".
Brian Hill
13   Posted 02/10/2011 at 07:25:47

Brian Hill
14   Posted 02/10/2011 at 07:41:03

Sorry for the double submission, my computer did something beyond my comprehension.
Dick Fearon
15   Posted 02/10/2011 at 09:31:39

Brian #14, Maybe it was one of those blasted appurwarrevas that clogged up its works.
Brian Hill
16   Posted 02/10/2011 at 11:16:07

Thanks Dick, now all is clear.