Season 2011-12

“Bitter?” Too bloody right I am!

35 Comments: First  |  Last

I've been told since Saturday that I'm just a bitter blue by Liverpool "supporters"

Well guess what? Too fucking right I'm bitter. And here's why...

I'm bitter than Clive Thomas disallowed our 3rd goal on the FA cup semi in 1977.

I'm bitter than Hansen handballed it on the line in the 1984 Milk Cup Final.

I'm bitter than arguably our greatest side were denied the chance to compete in the European Cup because of the disgraceful action of Liverpool fans.

I'm bitter that that Scummy club were not banned from Europe for life for their actions at Brussels.

I'm bitter that their ban was only a year longer than ours despite us never causing any trouble.

I'm bitter that they portray themselves as victims re Heysel and have tried to airbrush it out their history.

I'm bitter that Graham Poll disallowed Don Hutchinson's goal at Goodison.

I'm bitter that Gary McAllister's goal that sealed them a 3 2 win at in 2001 in the 4th minute of injury time was allowed to stand despite him moving the ball 15 yards up the pitch.

I'm bitter that the competition rules were changed retrospectively after they won the Champions League to allow them to compete in it the next season. This is the ONLY time a rule has been changed retrospectively in the history of football.

I can understand that the winners should be allowed in it but they should have changed the rules for the following year and not to allow the shite in through the back door.

I'm bitter at the Clattenburg referring debacle, which was the worst referring performance I have ever seen.

And I'm bitter at the sending off of Rodwell on Saturday which handed them the game.

So, yes, I'm bitter but I'd still rather support us than that shower of shitehawks any day of the week.
Chris Leyland, Formby     Posted 03/10/2011 at 17:54:21

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Colin Ryan
1   Posted 03/10/2011 at 20:02:25

Well said Chris....i feel the same but i think you've summed it up perfectly. My head was throbbing after watching Rodwell get sent off on saturday. Why do we always get screwed against them?
Trevor Mackie
2   Posted 03/10/2011 at 20:03:04

Like your style chris, I'm with you.

In the grand scheme of things they're getting worse by the minute - which is a shame because so are we.

Please God do a Man City on us for xmas so we can beat them 17 nil next year.
Mark Lewis
3   Posted 03/10/2011 at 20:13:36

Dont normally contribute to the mail bag but been so pissed off since saturday, Glad someone has actually put down in print what these twats get away with.

p.s No shite supporter would actually mention the game to me today let alone "the sending off"
Ray Said
4   Posted 03/10/2011 at 20:17:29

Chris

you forgot to be bitter about the start of the second world war when we were robbed of the chance to defend the title-everyone knows who Hitler supported.
Trevor Skempton
5   Posted 03/10/2011 at 20:23:19

Don't forget the first World War as well!
Dave Randles
6   Posted 03/10/2011 at 20:42:57

I read an article a few years by a bloke (I think) called Greg Murphy titled 'A Little Bitter This'. It was very lengthy but very eloquently described why a lot of us feel like we do.

Well worth half an hour of any blue's time if you can find a copy.
Declan Brown
7   Posted 03/10/2011 at 20:38:26

Well said Chris.

I've got to face it all in work tomorrow. Not looking forward to it at all. I'm just going to say "no comment" and ignore them. Days like tomorrow in the past i would have turned it into a full shouting match / debate. I can't be bothered about it anymore. Nobody listens.

There's so much now to recite back to them (your points covered most of my points for an arguement, thank you for doing so, i'll recommend they read this article to sum up my thoughts) but they don't take any notice - over in Belfast the glory hunters are on a different planet.

Still sickened by Saturday. Just wish Moyes had let loose on the media afterwards and hounded Atkinson like he did with Clattenburg.

But it was very hard to take. Is football corrupt? Going over the Derby's since Walter was manager would be a good starting point.

What annoys me most is the way this happens so often and yet gets brushed under the carpet without any questions asked.

My Sky Sports subscription is up for re-newal in December - it's going - Lyndon summed up perfectly in his article on Saturday.

I find it hard to get excited about football any more.

"...ain't no luck in these loaded dice..."
John Nelson
8   Posted 03/10/2011 at 20:58:36

1 = 20 chris, that's all you need to remember mate.
Colin Gee
9   Posted 03/10/2011 at 21:21:34

Spot on Chris, even now two days after I am still fuming!! The fact that virtually every football pundit and writer says it was wrong to send off Jack Rodwell doesn't it make it any better, it isn't going to change the result.
John #8 With inflation I reckon that Brian Labone's quote that we must be up to about 1=100 now...
Marcus Kendall
10   Posted 03/10/2011 at 21:31:59

great article though the rule about the Chums league was also done before Liverpool when real madrid were let in through the back door after winning it
Ste Traverse
11   Posted 03/10/2011 at 21:34:49

Let's not forget the blagging cunts getting special dispensation to sign Mascherano from West Ham OUTSIDE the transfer window.
Phil Baines
12   Posted 03/10/2011 at 21:39:58

Well said. Don't forget the diving and writhing.
Mike Hughes
13   Posted 03/10/2011 at 21:28:36

I'm not bitter.

I'm VERY bitter.

I hate the RS, scum kopites, no-mark referees, and every other red-shirted, bell-ended, arse-wipe who has sang YNWA or held up five fingers to indicate their IQ.

And as much as I condemn our missile-throwing neanderthals, I'll explode if I hear it cited by another sanctimonious knobhead from the ranks of the "worst fans in Europe".

Marcus Kendall
14   Posted 03/10/2011 at 21:47:38

they call us bitter but they are bitter when it comes to Man Utd
Chris Leyland
15   Posted 03/10/2011 at 22:00:47

And one more thing... remember the Anfield Derby in 2008 when Phil Neville was punched and spat at whilst taking a throw in. No one condones the missiles thrown this Saturday but the sanctimonious twats and their righteous indignation should take a look at themselves. the horrible bobble-hat wearing, scarf waving, badge colllecting knobheads.
David Hallwood
16   Posted 03/10/2011 at 22:26:00

It could be my blue tinted glasses, but I cannot think of one controversial decision that has gone our way when we play the RS, well in Chris
Nick Entwistle
17   Posted 03/10/2011 at 23:12:05

This article makes me bitter.

Brian Barwick, Chief Executive of The FA back when Liverpool were allowed back into the CL.

?Now, as we faced the last few weeks of the 2004/5 season, that lifelong support for the Reds could possibly blow up in my face if I was not able to steer a positive and neutral course though the quagmire of football politics and do what was right for all sides.?

?Rick Parry, Liverpool?s CEO, threw the problem both the FA?s and UEFA?s way. And so we began a period of hasty negotiations with key people in Geneva. FA chairman Geoff Thompson?s quiet diplomacy and FA executive David Davies? energy helped as did the phone calls and political pestering but the clock was ticking.

?We kept the pressure up. Phone call, followed email, followed visit ? and eventually UEFA cracked.

?On June 10th, they announced that Liverpool FC would be allowed to defend the title in an ?historic? one-off decision which would allow five English clubs to enter the following season?s Champions League.

Steve Green
18   Posted 03/10/2011 at 23:35:28

Chris, aren't you bitter about a penalty not being given when Sharpy was aerially flattened (was it by Steve Nicol?) in the 86 Cup final which would have meant us 2-0 in front?

At them winning derbies (plural) with poxy own goals and we dont get that luck?

About Jimmy case getting away with an horrendous career ending tackle on Geoff Nulty absolutely scot free.

At Lescott being wrestled, fucking manhandled and wrestled to the floor with no penalty being given (was that Clattenburg- possibly was),

With Gerrard running for 35 yds no problem and then as soon as he gets in the box, clearly sticking his leg out telescopically at 90 degrees and going over for a penalty to be given and trouble for Hibbert (was that Clattenburg also ? possibly was).

Mick Lyons, or was it Dave Johnson having a perfectly good goal disallowed in an early 70s 0-0 game,

Labone getting a bad injury which turned the '71 Cup semi from victory to defeat.

Why can't we have a day when we come back from 2-0 down to beat them 3-2? Well I for one fucking well am!!

And breathe...............
Andy Crooks
19   Posted 04/10/2011 at 00:37:35

Fuck me, is enough not enough. We were cheated but God almighty the response is starting to get out of proportion. We take it on the chin and fight back or we fucking whinge for the rest of the season. I'm starting to think that the response of David Moyes was pretty good .
Lee Courtliff
20   Posted 04/10/2011 at 01:16:13

I am with you Andy. It was shite but let's not forget the amount of dodgy decisions we have had in our favour.

I am thinking about penalties against Watford and Hull in particular.

Or is that okay because it was against "small clubs"?

Before you all start, I was just as disgusted as the rest of you about the red card and all the other decisions that have gone against us over the years. But let's not forget that somewhere there is a fan of another club who is still bitter about a decision WE got against THEM.

However, I still can't wait for the day when we finally give the Redshite the humiliation they deserve.
Thomas Williams
21   Posted 04/10/2011 at 02:03:14

Andy Crooks, sorry mate but fans with your manner is the reason we are in the mess we are in now. Brush everything under the carpet seems to be your forte... well, no!!

We do not do enough complaining imo. If Saturday's decision was reversed and Suarez got sent off, there would have been a public enquiry in the Commons; we have taken everything and just accepted it.

What about the European ban? I would have taken Liverpool and the FA to high court for restricting our business through actions of others, do you think if Everton fans had killed 39 fans they would have accepted a blanket ban? Would they hell.

Same again 2004 Uefa put them back in and turfed us out, and we said nothing.

I recieved a letter from the then Chief Executive Dunford stating Everton had applied/asked for availability of Stanley Park 3 times and were refused, they ask once and get it granted, did we complain, NO!!

Can you see Everton going to Anfield in the next 4 seasons and getting 4 penalties and they have 4 sent off? No, and the reason is? you get nothing given when you play there, so why do we have to suffer 4 sendings off and 4 penalties on our own ground to them?

I and all on here are sick of it, and it's about time we stood up and take issue with these injustices, otherwise why bother playing them? It is 11-14 before we even kick off, not withstanding the money imbalance, so please stop saying "Let's forget it," mate, because no we bloody well shouldn't.
Ray Roche
22   Posted 04/10/2011 at 08:02:03

Lee,

OK, we've had dodgy decisions against a number of clubs. They've had endless decisions in their favour against the same team. Us.
That can't be right.
Eugene Ruane
23   Posted 04/10/2011 at 08:07:23

Thomas (21) - you say..

"I and all on here are sick of it, and it's about time we stood up and take issue with these injustices, otherwise why bother playing them?"

Ok, I'm RIGHT behind you!

You just say the word, I'm ready to follow you!

So what do you suggest?

(or...when you said 'time we stood up' did you just mean 'time we let of a bit of steam on TW'?)
Ray Roche
24   Posted 04/10/2011 at 09:32:09

Like you, Eugene, I've stood up...what now? You know, I can't stand here all day, I've got things to do....
Robert Johnson
25   Posted 04/10/2011 at 11:12:13

Has anyone mentioned Don Hutchinson scoring with his arse and Graham Poll said he blew the whistle before the ball crossed the line.
John Crook
26   Posted 04/10/2011 at 12:23:41

Remember fat Rafa's SAF Man U outburst press conference about 2 years ao? I reckon Moysey should do something similar but produce video evidence of all the valid points made by Chris Leyland. Do it a week before the Anfield derby.... see if that helps
Mike Williams
27   Posted 04/10/2011 at 12:57:21

Robert (25)
9th on the list in original post.
Lee Courtliff
28   Posted 04/10/2011 at 14:08:44

It's not right at all Ray. Not at all.

We must be due a dodgy penalty against them before long. Have we had a penalty against them since 2001? The derby that McAllister won in the last minute. I can't think of one off the top of my head.
Adam Bennett
29   Posted 04/10/2011 at 14:23:20

You can add Steven Gerrards two footed stamp on Naysmith, and Dirk Kuyts two footed flying kung fu attempt. Two stonewall red cards and both got away with it.
Mike Elbey
30   Posted 04/10/2011 at 14:19:15

Couple of others to add to the list -

1. Wayne Clarke dissallowed goal that would have given us a 2-1 win at Anfield, not sure of the date but we had gone 1-0 down and Trevor Steven had equalised from a penalty (!!!). There was absolutely nothing wrong with Clarke's header but mysteriously ruled out.

2. An absolute stone wall penalty for an assault by Garry Abblett on Pat Nevin in the first game of the FA Cup trilogy at Anfield - the game ended 0-0. The referree for the day one Neil Midgley later admitted he was wrong.

The big thing is i dont think i can remember one single blatant decision that has gone against them in all my time watching these games. The only two that come close are a bit of an iffy penalty for a climbing offence on Big Dunc and maybe not having Fellaini sent off last year in the incident that saw that Greek twat sent off for the shite.

Its the fact that the decisions are all one way that makes us so bitter...
Dave Richman
31   Posted 04/10/2011 at 14:40:11

Ah! Cheers for that Mike @ 29..... That has to be the most blatant penalty not awarded in the history of football! To this day, I still fly into a rage whenever I see that one..... Couldn't remember who the ref was, but Midgley has gone on my list now
Ray Roche
32   Posted 04/10/2011 at 22:29:04

Mike@30 and Dave@31,

Midgley was a red, from Warrington,I think, and at a Sports Dinner after he'd retired he admitted to a mates wife (also a red) that he KNEW the Nevin tackle was a penalty but "I wasn't going to give THEM (us) a penalty at our place (Anfield)".
Don't anyone evr try to tell me referees aren't capable of being biased.
Thomas Williams
33   Posted 04/10/2011 at 23:28:35

Eugene, I understand what you are saying, what can we do, fans can do one thing not turn up at Anfield, why bother going to be abused by their moronic fans and then have the piss taken out of you for 90 minutes while the ref makes sure they come out on top. This will then highlight the issue.

The main problem is the club are too nice; I agree with poster above Moyes should do a Rafa style rant about all the decisions that have gone against us whilst playing them. It is a staggering list, the only time I ever remember them moaning was the opening goal in the 3-0 game, when Cahill "fell" on Alonso.

I think the 15 teams outside the Sky 5 should get together and tell the Premier League and Sky to go and stuff themselves, I dont see any point of playing in a league where 3/4 of teams have no chance of competing, and whatsmore are deliberately prevented from competing.

See what happened after our 4th place finished and also what happened the following season when all the Spurs players got poisoned on the last day and consequently Arsenal snook back in. I am still amazed nobody ever mentions this, but it wasn't a Sky 5 team, so it doesn't matter. Can you imagine the furore if rs players got poisoned and knocked them out the CL?
Steve Sweeney
34   Posted 06/10/2011 at 18:53:12

And People ask WHY WE HATE THEM SO MUCH
Gerry Quinn
35   Posted 06/10/2011 at 20:02:35

.....and should we also be the most bitter about our club not paying the rent increase at Anfield ? just think, a few extra bob a week and they would not even EXIST. Oh, my, how I wish we would have paid that extra money!