Season 2011-12

George Green... Take a bow son!

41 Comments: First  |  Last

I've read a lot of good things about our new wonderkid, but haven't seen any footage of him. However, I've come across this clip of him showing some outrageous skill and confidence. Not sure who its against but its definitely in a recent youth match. Enjoy.

Ryan Jones, Preston     Posted 24/11/2011 at 12:28:44

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Mike Litherland
1   Posted 24/11/2011 at 17:23:21

It was for the Under-16s against Warrington Town Under-17s at Warrington last Wednesday. Final score was 1-1.
Jamie Sweet
2   Posted 24/11/2011 at 20:08:55

Superb! That either takes incredible luck or incredible skill. From what I've been hearing about the lad, I believe it is the latter in this case.

Our manager wouldn't be happy with that though. Do you see the way he charged into the box with reckless abandon. Completely forgot about marking his opposite number. What if we had lost posession, we would have been completely exposed in the middle of the park. We'll soon coach that out of him don't you worry.

How long before he's linked with a move to Man Utd?
Nick Armitage
3   Posted 24/11/2011 at 20:41:07

The only time I ever see any attackers in our first team running that quickly into a penalty area, is when they are running back to defend a corner.
Brian Waring
4   Posted 24/11/2011 at 20:43:27

He needs to be getting back to defend!

Lovely bit of skill though.
Peter Laing
5   Posted 24/11/2011 at 20:43:26

Unbelievable.... it seriously looks like we have a fantastic prospect on our hands! Get in Georgie boy son!!!
Brendan McLaughlin
6   Posted 24/11/2011 at 20:51:08

Reminds me of a young Osman. If Green ain't in the team against Bolton... Moyes needs to go!
Phil Martin
7   Posted 24/11/2011 at 21:45:12

Great goal. But I remember Tony Grant being the absolute shizzle when he was 16. He's a long way to go but great technique none the less.
Stephen Doyle
8   Posted 24/11/2011 at 21:51:33

I wonder whether we'll get to see both him and Barkley in the 1st team in the future?
Steve Mink
9   Posted 24/11/2011 at 22:10:33

Phil #7 - spot on re: Tony Grant. Really thought he was going to be The One. Outrageoussly gifted player.
Brian Denton
10   Posted 24/11/2011 at 22:12:55

I'd go for Bill Kenny myself, if we're talking potential unrealised......
Brian Denton
11   Posted 24/11/2011 at 22:26:05

Sorry, Billy Kenny....
Simon Atkins
12   Posted 24/11/2011 at 22:28:09

I was having a drink with Kenny's cousin the other night, some very interesting tales to tell...
Rob Jones
13   Posted 24/11/2011 at 22:54:07

Undoubtedly Billy Kenny is THE one who should have made it in my 40 years of watching the blues. He had everything as far as I could see ? very sad.

With regards to forwards, I remember shortly after Sharpy made the breakthrough to the first team and scored several spectacular goals (eg vs Spurs), Howard Kendall bemoaned the fact that he only scored spectacular goals and he would prefer to see him score scrufyy tap ins in the 6-yard box!
Ian Tunstead
14   Posted 25/11/2011 at 01:40:11

I have had a few drinks tonight and I can't handle my ale any more so this should probably be deleted but here goes: number 2 and 3 posts are pricks of the highest order.No thanks to Moyes for getting the lad in the first place, thought not. Tossers.

I have no other football contribution to make.

Derek Thomas
15   Posted 25/11/2011 at 02:05:59

Ian; Re Posts # 2 & 3... I 'think' they were being sarcastic...Irony, like goldy only harder.

Maybe for the purposefully obtuse we all should indicate sarcasm, tongue in cheek and plain taking the piss etc with * before and after.

Oh and your last line needs a word removing, you peaked coining the 0.02%
Ian Tunstead
16   Posted 25/11/2011 at 02:16:09

Derek, I can only apologise to these people if that is the case, it can be difficult to tell sarcasm at the best of times. As I said, my post deserves deleting because I am being a hypocrite and very rude. I wish I could claim credit for the 0.02% because who ever it was they were very close to the truth and deserve a pat on the back.
Jamie Sweet
17   Posted 25/11/2011 at 01:56:19

Ian Tunstead #14, you should drink more often, this was one of your better posts!

I admit that my original comment was rather facetious. I'm not sure it qualifies me as a "prick of the highest order". Or maybe it does.

You only have to listen to recent interviews with Moyes where he talks about needing to get Royston Drenthe to fulfill his defensive duties more to realise where I'm coming from though. I truely believe that our manager is so obsessed with the defensive side of the game that he is willing to sacrifice attacking flair and often looks to stifle a players instincts to get forward in favour of "keeping it tight". That is the way I see it based on what I see happening on the pitch, and what I hear Moyes say off it. I think that this attitude is a major contributing factor to the turgid style of football we have been playing recently.

I do genuinely believe we have many things to thank Moyes for. Bringing George Green to the club may be one to add to the list... time will tell. However, for a number of reasons including the above, my good-will toward DM is fading slowly but surely. Yours on the other hand is clearly limitless and never ending, no matter what you see happening on the pitch. Surely even you have a breaking point though Ian?

Keep drinking... it looks like it might help you find it quicker!
Russell Buckley
18   Posted 25/11/2011 at 03:54:16

No pressure on the lad but I for one hope he is the biggest thing to hit English football since Rooney.

We sure as hell need a player of that skill to come along again. If he is that good there is now way we will hold onto him long term but at least it might give the finances a bump.

Just sad we don't have a board who can back the manager to build a squad around these up and coming new players.

I have no faith that anyone of serious quality will be kept long term. That includes Fellaini.
Trevor Lynes
19   Posted 25/11/2011 at 09:33:51

I played against lots of great 16-year-olds including Liverpool schoolboys etc but Alan Whittle never really fulfilled his potential from that era although he made appearances for EFC and shone sometimes... he had everything!!

Most of the teams in the Premier League and even the Championship have had similar players who have not developed fully... Maybe they discover GIRLS or BOOZE??? ... Or BOTH!!
Phil Bellis
20   Posted 25/11/2011 at 09:45:06

@sarc Fuck off Ian with the .02%...there were more than 7 of us moaning in the ground against Wolves @nsarc
Tom Winek
21   Posted 25/11/2011 at 10:07:51

How old is he? 15/16 isn't he? If he is as good as he appears to be then he could realistically be making our first team squad next year.

How great would it be if Moyes could bring all these promising young players through over the next couple of seasons to replace the dead or dying wood. I might begin to regain some of my enthusiasm for football.
Stephen Kenny
22   Posted 25/11/2011 at 10:18:34

Michael/Lyndon

Any chance of a poll along the lines of "Do you believe David Moyes is the right man to take Everton forward?" so we can put the 0.02 to bed?
Andrew Bankes
23   Posted 25/11/2011 at 11:08:01

Superb goal. But according to George Green on twitter, it was actually ruled out for offside. Gutting!
Tony J Williams
24   Posted 25/11/2011 at 11:11:27

Stephen, the poll wouldn't be representative of the fans as a whole, it would just be the fans who visit this site.

The '0.02%' tag is as daft as the 'apologists' tag but unless the whole fanbase can be polled, results done on this site (known, correctly or not, for it's negative outlook) would not be a clear presentation of the numbers.

Also (insert sarcastic tone here), he will never make it etc etc.
Stephen Kenny
25   Posted 25/11/2011 at 11:17:25

Tony,

It's only this site where the tag is applied.

I think despite the "negative" reputation we've got a fair cross section of Evertonians on here.

Young and old, Matchgoer's and err..... Xboxers, near and far etc.

There's plenty who are behind Moyes as want him gone IMO.
Phil Bellis
26   Posted 25/11/2011 at 11:18:16

But Tony, if, say, the poll is limited to match-going Blues/season ticket holders, you'd only need 6 to vote "No I don't" to bollocks the 0.02%
Sam Hoare
27   Posted 25/11/2011 at 11:49:50

Draw or lose to Bolton (or win but play badly) and there will be those outraged that Moyes hasn't put this lad in the first team.

'He's in form, he's scoring goals....what have we got to lose?!! Why does Moyes never give youth a chance?!'
Ian Tunstead
28   Posted 25/11/2011 at 11:47:39

Phil, in the heat of the moment at the time of Wolves scoring, I wanted Moyes out as well, but I think if you asked all match going Evertonians, after they had had a chance to calm down and reflect and look at the bigger picture, most would probably change their minds, and after a good win you would struggle to find 6 Everton fans who would want Moyes out.
Gavin Ramejkis
29   Posted 25/11/2011 at 12:01:24

Ian, you still get a portion of Evertonians asking after a match like Wolves why he didn't change his tired lame formation... Then again, you get that every week.
Ian Tunstead
30   Posted 25/11/2011 at 12:00:55

Jamie, I don't see anyone complianing when they see Rooney tracking back and helping out with his defensive duties. The team as a whole will do much better if everyone puts a shift in and contributes rather than having to carry players. We do not have the quality to carry players, it's already like playing with 10 or 9 men at times when Moyes puts Osman on the wing or if Rodwell does another one of his vanishing acts.
Glen Anderson
31   Posted 25/11/2011 at 12:07:23

Offside of not, it was taken with an enormous amount of confidence, and what I like most about the footage (taken no doubt with a toaster) is that he and his team mates react as if he does that type of thing all the time. If someone like Hibbo or, more realistically, Saha had dones this in any game there would be wild uproar. The future looks bright! COYB!
Stephen Kenny
32   Posted 25/11/2011 at 12:27:05

Ian,

You're deluded if you think the majority of Evertonians are happy scraping a 2-1 win against Wolves at home.
Ant Ellis
33   Posted 25/11/2011 at 12:51:41

Must say I'm totally with Ian on this one, you only have to look the most successful player on (and off... ah thank you!) the pitch in the Premier League, Mr Giggs, ripping the arse out of full backs is all well and good but if you're not willing to cover your own LB then what's the point?

As Ian rightly stated, the one thing we're lacking at the moment is real quality, whether it be attacking or defensively speaking, so surely a blind man can see that means that every player HAS to run their bollocks off?
Tony J Williams
34   Posted 25/11/2011 at 12:55:03

Do you think they were upset then Stephen? My after-match pints tasted better than they have done for a while.
Ian Tunstead
35   Posted 25/11/2011 at 13:00:47

Stephen we have been on a bad run partly due to playing 4 or 5 of the better teams in the league in quick succession. If we can now build some confidence and go on a good run like we have done in the last few seasons, then I think the majority will be happy again, even if we are scraping wins. Just so long as we are winning.
Dave Lynch
36   Posted 25/11/2011 at 13:11:33

I want Moyes out but not as yet. The one thing you can be certain of is we won't get relegated whilst he is at the helm.

It is also proven to a greater degree that changing managers mid-season is not the answer. In fact it usually only worsens the situation à la Newcastle a few seasons ago.

I would prefer for him to see this season out and then get shut. It is clear we need a new face and fresh ideas, Moyes's tactics are stale and out-dated.
Andrew Ellams
37   Posted 25/11/2011 at 14:13:25

Ian, those games against the big teams that you mention we came out with no points. Last season, in the equivalent games we came out with 12.

Surely even you can see what a huge backward step that is and the excuse about playing a whole of top sides just doesn't wash I'm afraid.
Tony J Williams
38   Posted 25/11/2011 at 14:52:39

I think your argument is somewhat diluted when we note that we have lost / given away Pienaar, Arteta, Yakubu and Beckford since those performances last season.

That's our best midfielders and our one-time best forward.......and Yakubu. (Only joking!)

It's a massive backwards step both in attitude from the manager and performances from the players.
Ian Tunstead
39   Posted 25/11/2011 at 15:47:41

Andrew, these things run in cycles; last season, we did ok against the better sides but didn't do too good against the lesser sides, I think it was the season before we didn't do too good against the top sides but had a terrific record against the lesser sides.

As I always say, judge after 38 games; it's a marathon not a sprint. Every season we finish best of the rest and Moyes gets the maximum out of his squad of players relative to the other sides in the league. If we don't finish in the top 8 then you have a fair argument.
Stephen Kenny
40   Posted 25/11/2011 at 21:08:53

Tony,

I'd say relief was the most common feeling TBH.

Ian, I recognise how much the side has changed in the last 18 months, but we're still far too good to have to scrape wins against the likes of Wolves, or we should be.
James Flynn
41   Posted 25/11/2011 at 22:44:51

Always enjoy watching mid-teens play one another. Never have made the leap to a mid-teen excelling against others his age meaning the same kid would do likewise against top-league competition.

Nice goal though.