Season 2011-12

Shane Duffy

36 Comments: First  |  Last

I'm very confused about Moyes's comments that he now needs a new centre back.

Am I right in thinking that Jags is only out for 6 weeks, we have Distin, Heitinga and Neville as cover, plus we have Shane Duffy coming back.

Does Moyes not trust Duffy? If he doesn't think he can cope with a Tamworth strikeforce then why not just release him together with all the other youth defenders we have. What must Moyes's comments do to Duffy's confidence?

I surely hope that Moyes doesn't play a twin defensive midfield again. If we do then a small part of me wants us to lose in order for Moyes to finally walk. However, before I get lambasted, I would never want us to lose a game. Here's to an attacking 4-4-2 all season.

COYB!

Henry Jones, Derby     Posted 07/01/2012 at 11:25:30

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Andy Crooks
1   Posted 07/01/2012 at 14:32:51

Henry, I have been derided for praising Duffy... Well, let me get this off my chest:

I have followed Shane's career for a number of years (we're not related, by the way). Without his horrendous injury, I have no doubt he would be Everton's regular centre-half.

He will be a super player and now is his chance. He needs a run in the side and some support. Believe me, if given the chance, he will become an Everton legend.
Kev Lacey
2   Posted 07/01/2012 at 14:59:15

He's not English!
Thomas Surgenor
3   Posted 07/01/2012 at 16:01:02

I'm not a big fan of Duffy. I don't think he is that great to be honest, but he will do for cover.

Alex Mullan
4   Posted 07/01/2012 at 16:36:04

"He's Northern Irish, played the whole way up through their youth ranks... then switched at the 11th hour to the Republic."

Hes a Derry lad. Derry is a border city. Many people here count themselves as Irish and every single one of them has the right to an Irish passport.

I do not blame him for switching to the Republic. They are a good side who always have a chance at qualification. Northern Ireland is a shambles of an international team, with an extremely political fanbase (to which many would be against Shane Duffy ? not hard to work out which religion he is). Yes, things are much better now than they were, but the recent abuse of Neil Lennon shows it isn't all rosey. I do not blame him one bit for his choice.

(I couldn't give a damn about politics or religion. I am not inviting a debate here about it either. I am just responding to what I perceived as a quite derogatory remark. I am from Northern Ireland and I am just stating some facts).
Andy Crooks
5   Posted 07/01/2012 at 16:51:17

Alex, like you I don't give a damn about politics or relegation... Shane made a decision on what I believe were football terms, a decision he was entitled to make. The treatment of Lennon was appalling yet I do think think things are changing.
Sam Hoare
6   Posted 07/01/2012 at 17:44:36

Don't think it's just Tamworth that he is worried about, Henry, but more likely the Premier League games coming up.

I heard Jags could be out for 6-10 weeks. That's a long time to have no CB cover, Neville could fill in but not ideal. Duffy has been doing okay at Scunthorpe apparently but this is two leagues up and I for one would not be sure about having him in the team for 10 games if Distin or Johnny should pick up a knock too.
Ian Bennett
7   Posted 07/01/2012 at 17:50:45

Would rather have a playmaker or centre forward than a defender. Saha is finished and Osman is average, the rest create/score nothing.
Sam Platt
8   Posted 07/01/2012 at 18:09:50

Alex Mullan
9   Posted 07/01/2012 at 18:49:36

Andy #6

"Alex, like you I don't give a damn about politics or relegation"

Was that a slip, or have you been watching too much Everton of late? Made me chuckle anyway!
Thomas Surgenor
10   Posted 07/01/2012 at 19:05:57

Hold on...."to which many would be against Shane Duffy".

Yea... Cause the Derry Diego (Pat McCourt) gets boo'ed a lot doesn't he?

So he turned a back on the people who helped him develop for footballing reasons... you're not scared this will carry through to his senior career? As soon as a sniff of a bigger club comes in, he will rock the boat and want to move.

Will you still defend his ''attitude''? That's my main worry about this guy, I get the impression he feels he is better than he is and ? IF he did make the step up ? would rock the boat and leave at his first opportunity.
Alex Mullan
11   Posted 07/01/2012 at 20:20:39

@ Thomas # 11

Actually, I know a lot of people, mostly idiots, who hate Pat McCourt in a N Ireland shirt. He got cheered that one time because he scored a wonder goal. Do not be so naive. And its a shame, because he is good.

Duffy started football in a small, close-knit city, at a small club. If you get a chance to go play for the youth set up of an international side when your 13 or 14 years old, in a town like Derry, you're hardly going to say "No, I am destined for better things, I will wait." Again naive.

He is hardly a traitor for making a perfectly legal decision. As his footballing career has developed, earning the move to Everton, he clearly felt that he had the potential to go onto better things at international level, something Northern Ireland won't be able to offer for at least the next 20 years the way things are going.

I would also be willing to take a punt in guessing that the South is where his heart is. Exactly like Darren Gibson, another Derry born player with stronger ties to the 'city side' . I would like to ask are you from the area? It isn't quite like other places. Half of Derry is well and truely in the 'southern Ireland' camp.

It isn't like his granny's neighbour's dog's friend once knew a man who had an Irish landlord. He is dual nationality, and he was not locked to either side.
Andrew Edwards
12   Posted 07/01/2012 at 22:32:04

Andy #2, I have seen Shane play a few times but I have seen nothing from him to suggest he will be a top player. I see him as a very average defender with limited qualities, someone who may have a good career in the lower leagues or maybe league of Ireland. Against Sligo Rovers at the showgrounds last year he was awful.
Kase Chow
13   Posted 08/01/2012 at 01:42:58

How on earth has this thread gone to discussing Duffy's nationality (IRRELEVANT) from whether Duffy is good enough for Everton's first team?

Seriously fellas, what the fuck are you talking about? Stick to the OP rather than discussing pointless crap.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
14   Posted 08/01/2012 at 03:06:45

Errr... thanks for your editorial intervention, Kase. Well.... Not!

People who seem to know something of the lad's background are sharing it with us. It is certainly not "pointless crap". That's what we're here for. Your post is entirely uncalled for. Back off!
Roman Sidey
15   Posted 08/01/2012 at 05:03:27

If Moyes uses whatever funds he has to get another centre half in it will show his true colours as a man with favourites and preferences. He insists on playing players out of position all over the park, but when it comes to that sacred centre half position, you have to be a specialist to get a nod. It is about as hypocritical as you can be as a manager. "Oh, we can just shove Bily or Osman out on the wing, and play Neville and Johnny in the middle of the park, just as long as the blokes in front of the keeper are actually supposed to be there!"

What a joke. Get Duffy back, put him in the squad, and fucking make a player out of him, David.
Ryan Kelly
16   Posted 08/01/2012 at 09:23:32

Sam Platt said: "Andy, I was interested to hear you think the lad would have been a first-team regular without his injury; how come you think he hasn't been out on loan at a Championship club? "

Thomas Surgenor - That's utter babble - he is playing for his country because he is able and it was always his desire to do so. As if someone has to justify that desire.

Andrew Edwards said: "I have seen Shane play a few times but I have seen nothing from him to suggest he will be a top player. I see him as a very average defender with limited qualities, someone who may have a good career in the lower leagues or maybe league of Ireland. Against Sligo Rovers at the showgrounds last year he was awful."

Wow. All players are limited, but Duffy is rightly considered a prospect for the right reasons i.e. he has ability. There is a reason he is a regular Ireland under 21 and there was a reason he was in the senior Irish squad at 18. He won't be anywhere NEAR the League of Ireland any time soon, except when he's supporting Derry City. That game against Sligo last year? That was his FIRST game back in early-mid August after recovering from nearly dying on the pitch late May the same year. I was at the game and "awful" doesn't quite describe his performance - sure he wasn't up to speed (he nearly died a few weeks earlier, but he almost scored a couple of headers and played well enough considering.). Some lunatics about.
Ian Spence
17   Posted 08/01/2012 at 10:41:20

Alex wind your neck in! LONDONDERRY no matter where its situated on the map is in Northern Ireland. It doesn't matter what religion people are, they should be playing for their own country, not sniding off to the south!
Karl Meighan
18   Posted 08/01/2012 at 12:05:49

Why is he even talking about centrebacks when we need a penalty and setpiece to beat Tamworth?

The insults just keep coming, "we have been playing quite well lately" plus "Anichebe is a really important player for us and has the ability to be a top player".

Why would Moyes give Mcfadden probably about 20grand+ a week when he was shit at his best. Billy cost a big fee and big wages and he played central yesterday and he was just as bad as always.

No need for Kenwright to ruin the Club Moyes is doing a good impression. We are in big big trouble with a manager who refuses to change his or the teams style of play. Its getting harder and harder to attend games when the entertainment value is null.

The only game at Goodison were there has been any kind of performance was the Villa game that ended 2 each. Every single result the team has had this season has been achieved under fortunate circumstances.

Its got so bad that the two so called most saleable assetts, Felliani and Rodwell are two of the most average footballers were ever likely to see.
Andy Crooks
19   Posted 08/01/2012 at 12:31:20

Alex, politics and relegation.Shows what's at the back of my mind doesn't it.
Alex Mullan
20   Posted 08/01/2012 at 12:39:12

Ian Spence,

I won't take the bait there, other than to say your comments are in poor taste, and biggoted. I want to keep this about football, Everton and specifically Shane Duffy.

I don't hear many people spouting off about Ryan Giggs captaining England at school boy level. It happens all the time. If you really feel strongly about the issue, write a letter to FIFA, I am sure they will agree with you.
Ian Spence
21   Posted 08/01/2012 at 13:36:52

Nothin bigoted about it Alex, just informing you of your geography. L'derry is in Northern Ireland not the Republic.
Alex Mullan
22   Posted 08/01/2012 at 13:42:17

I really, really, do not want this to become political, When you write 'LONDONDERRY' in capitals, clearly it is a response to myself writing Derry. I am from Derry/Londonderry. I am not a republican, nor am I a loyalist. I have no idea where you are from, but you don't seem to understand certain things. The Maiden City can be referred to as EITHER Derry or Londonderry. At no point did I state that it was in the South. I stated Derry is a 'border city', and thus many of the inhabitants, including Shane Duffy and his family, have strong ties to the South. Your comments were most certainly biggotted, and antagonistic and this will be the very last time I bring up politics in this thread.

Apologies to the editor for going off on one, but in a long winded way it was to do with Duffy and his international career, so I believe it is relevant.
Noel Lynam
23   Posted 08/01/2012 at 14:31:26

Ian Spence, do the words "Good Friday Agreement" mean anything to you? He's entitled to play for either country.

Since you feel so strongly on the make up of their team, do you also object to Lee Camp "sniding off" to play for Northern Ireland?
Ryan Kelly
24   Posted 08/01/2012 at 15:01:29

@Sam Platt: He was on loan at Burnley last year after he recovered from injury. Too much too fast.

@Thomas Surgenor: That's utter babble ? he is playing for his country because he is able and it was always his desire to do so. As if someone has to justify that desire.

@Andrew Edwards: Wow. All players are limited, but Duffy is rightly considered a prospect for the right reasons i.e. he has ability. There is a reason he is a regular Ireland under 21 and there was a reason he was in the senior Irish squad at 18. He won't be anywhere NEAR the League of Ireland any time soon, except when he's supporting Derry City. That game against Sligo last year? That was his FIRST game back in early-mid August after recovering from nearly dying on the pitch late May the same year. I was at the game and "awful" doesn't quite describe his performance ? sure he wasn't up to speed (he nearly died a few weeks earlier). He almost scored a couple of headers and played well enough considering.
Matt Traynor
25   Posted 08/01/2012 at 15:26:08

Andy "Alex, like you I don't give a damn about politics or relegation... "

Freudian Dildo?
John Brereton
26   Posted 08/01/2012 at 18:08:01

Ian spence, you do not have a clue what you are talking about. I suggest you stick to writing about Everton.
Sam Hoare
27   Posted 08/01/2012 at 18:25:21

Anyone actually seen him for scunthorpe this season? Does he have a chance of making it?
Andy Crooks
28   Posted 08/01/2012 at 18:42:40

Matt,I've always been sceptical about this Freudian nonsense,not anymore. Until
Andy Crooks
29   Posted 08/01/2012 at 18:44:11

Until I re-read my post a few times I'd no idea what Alex was on about. Ones deepest anxieties surfacing at a mundane moment,;ndeed.
Peter Warren
30   Posted 08/01/2012 at 21:02:36

Seen Duffy play a couple of times thought he looked a great prospect. I think it was a terrible decision not to play him at weekend... unless he was injured.
Phil Brown
31   Posted 08/01/2012 at 21:20:59

Saw him play in the pre-season game v Oxford Utd. He did quite well but Mustafi was much better, best player on the pitch even overshadowed Barkley and Vellios although they actually played the next day for the first team.
Shane Corcoran
32   Posted 08/01/2012 at 22:39:16

Michael, I think Mr. Paisley has changed his name to Spence. Now is it senior or junior? Very funny Ian by the way. I'm going to assume you're joking. As regards the actual thread, I'd say that Moyes would play himself at CB before he'll give Duffy a chance.
Andy Crooks
33   Posted 09/01/2012 at 00:29:09

Shane, why should Moyes not give Duffy a chance? Is that down to the failings of Moyes or Duffy?
Sam Platt
34   Posted 09/01/2012 at 08:49:24

Phil #31 completely agree! Was at that match myself and thought Mustafi looked by far the better prospect, was so surprised to hear hed been sold to Sampdoria... especially as it was on a free! Thought Duffy seemed pretty slow (to be fair probably due to his injury lay-off) and had a tendency to just whack the ball as hard as he could over the half way line. Mustafi on the other hand looked a much more cultured player, as comfortable with the ball at his feet as it was when it was in the air. I hope I am wrong, but i feel the decision to let go of Mustafi could come and haunt the club... but fingers crossed Duffy can make the step up.
Shane Corcoran
35   Posted 09/01/2012 at 12:41:36

Andy, what I meant is that regardless of whether Duffy is good enough or not I don't think Moyes is brave enough to play a youngster in that position. I said would, not should. I'd love to see him given a chance but don't reckon our Davie will.
Andrew Ellams
36   Posted 09/01/2012 at 12:48:58

Alex, the rules with schoolboy football is that you represent the country in which you go to school. To kill the popular myth, Ryan Giggs was born in Wales to Welsh parents so does not and has never qualified to play for England. He moved to the Manchester area when his dad moved to the North West to play rugby league.