Season 2011-12

Even his first name is a joke

35 Comments: First  |  Last

I do not understand how Victor Anichebe has survived the numerous embarrassing performances, lengthy absences, obvious petulance and total lack of scoring talent to the point that he starts in preference to Vellios.

Anichebe ? by the way, if he's 23, my bum tastes like chicken - simply should not be playing in the Premier League. He not only snatched wildly at his only chance against Blackburn, his greediness stopped Gibson, who was better positioned, from reaching the ball.

After Moyes told him to play wide in the second half, he appeared to simply refuse to show any pace and when he was taken off you'd think he was on a hat-trick the way he reacted.

In his entire career with Everton, his entire career, his total goals scored add up to less than you would want from a decent striker in a single season. He's not up to this level and we should get what we can for him which will not be much. He's been a nearly man for too long. Maybe Leicester will take him as a partner for that other useless get.

Peter Fearon, Liverpool     Posted 22/01/2012 at 00:57:00

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Jimmy Sørheim
739   Posted 22/01/2012 at 02:32:43

You should blame Moyes for keeping him instead of Yakubu.

Also for not playing Vellios.

Moyes out!
Christopher Kelly
747   Posted 22/01/2012 at 03:50:21

I have seen some real hold your head shocking moments from this lad. Stuff you should never ever ever see at this level. Mix that with a bad attitude and I'm just as perplexed at how he's still on the team. We know Moyes has his favorites, Anichebe must be one of them.
Denver Daniels
748   Posted 22/01/2012 at 03:59:08

Peter, reading your first paragraph, you could easily replace Victor's name with any of our forwards/midfielders and be talking about them instead.

Moyes selects the team, Victor doesn't.

I agree he snatched at that chance but what kind striker would he be if he left it for another player 6 yards further from the goal, and him being right in front. No striker in their right mind would have left it for someone else, not from that close.

Sure, I agree, he's never gonna be a great player for us, but then you could say that about most of the players we have at present.

Also, at the end of the game as the boys where coming off, and Moyes was giving them all a pat on the back on the way to the tunnel, did anyone see Captain Pip slap his hand away........classic!!!
Roman Sidey
750   Posted 22/01/2012 at 04:27:06

Did that happen, Denver? That would have been classic to see, and shows that the players are feeling it.
Denver Daniels
751   Posted 22/01/2012 at 04:31:26

Yeah, I live in New Zealand and catch the games on replay on Sunday mornings.

We get to see a few extra minutes after the final whistle blows, which from memory you don't get to see in the UK.

The captain was not a happy chappy, that's for sure....and rightly so.

Don't know what the morale is like within the team, but all the boys seemed genuinely happy for Tim when scored.
Paul Ferry
756   Posted 22/01/2012 at 05:18:17

The worst thing from Crosby since fucking Thatcher-loving retard Kenny Everett. He was a fucking embarrassment today. Fine, 2 goals. Wow. A lazy lumbering clueless fucker. My heart sinks when he is named in the first 11.
Steve O'Malley
768   Posted 22/01/2012 at 07:14:18

Don't get too depressed about it chaps. He's only here for another 4 years!! I could put on paper what I think of him but probably wouldn't get to air.
Paul Columb
771   Posted 22/01/2012 at 07:46:41

It's very strange to feel this way about any everton player, but when victor drops to the deck like he's been hit by a train under the faintest of challenges, I actually hope he's been injured in earnest. Not 'cause I wish pain or illwill on the lad but because I don't ever want to see his name repeated on the team sheet. It used to be uplifting to see the comeradery between him and Vaughan as junior players but I always felt James had a greater chance of making something of himself.... Injuries or ability, who knows. Victor will never cut it at this level but at the least, he really needs a huge change in attitude and put a real shift in.
Paul Columb
772   Posted 22/01/2012 at 07:46:41

Anto Byrne
780   Posted 22/01/2012 at 08:49:10

What the fuck is Moyes doing playing Big Vic out on the wing and continuing to play Saha as an out-and-out centre-forward? Yesterday's line-up should have started with Vic and Vellios and Donovan supplying the ammo.

As much as I like Tim Cahill, he is not a natural forward and Moyes has always accommodated him in his 5-man midfield and to support the forwards with goals from midfileld. We had Arteta and Pienaar and we carried Cahill for his 10 goals a season.

Yes, he was a terrier, chasing like the proverbial Jack Russell; now, he is just an old dog, and we need the new breed of pups to come through but, unless Moyes picks them and gives them games, then it's old dogs and old tricks, I'm afraid.
Al Reddish
793   Posted 22/01/2012 at 09:53:49

I must admit I DO like David Moyes but he is baffling me at the moment.

He came out with a statement the other day about we are not doing enough at home and it's about time we did something performance wise to get the crowd out their seats... Well that's been achieved because fewer and fewer are taking their seats up in the first place.

I know we have injuries but my heart sank when I saw that starting line-up... the same team plus Anichebe!!!! I lost all interest in the game and hoped at 5 o'clock, when I checked our result, we would have scraped a draw. Sad ain't it!
Nelly Verdonghan
804   Posted 22/01/2012 at 10:54:25

According to the clueless fool who is the manager, Anichebe is a VERY BIG player for us...

Just proves he has completely lost the plot... Just wait cos he'll offer that other waste of space, Saha, a new contract in the summer.....

MOYES & KENWRIGHT OUT!!!
Dick Fearon
820   Posted 22/01/2012 at 12:54:52

Spot the difference.

One Merseyside team, playing away, puts in a shocker and at the final whistle, its manager (A) beats the players into the locker room. In his post-match comments, he publicly lambasts the players over their poor attitude and effort. He goes on to say that, if there is no improvement, heads will roll.

The other Merseyside team, playing at home, puts in a shocker and at the final whistle, its manager (B) congratulates/consoles his players and follows them to the locker room. In his post-match comments, he heaps praise on the opposition and seeks to justify his own team's very poor performance.

I suggest that manager (A) has a winning mentality while manager (B) has a losing one.
James Morgan
821   Posted 22/01/2012 at 12:57:20

The lad constantly needs a kick up the arse and should put a shift in in any position, but what's the point in playing him on the wing when he has scored a couple of goals up front and will have confidence there, that is Moyes's fault for putting him wide.

And, on a side note, we should have gone for Robbie Keane, I'm not his biggest fan but he is a goal scorer ? something we clearly lack!
Dick Fearon
824   Posted 22/01/2012 at 13:13:00

A strange thing about Anichebe is that, despite his bulk, he cannot shield the ball from much lighter opponents. I may be wrong here but I cannot recall ever seeing him win a heading duel.

I presume these weaknesses are known to the coaching panel... in which case, what the hell are they doing about them?
Peter Laing
825   Posted 22/01/2012 at 13:15:15

Peter, you seem to base your arguments on facts, without being Victor's greatest fan he has scored two important goals in recent weeks against WBA and Aston Villa thus securing four points. Without these goals we would be a lot closer to the bottom three.

Anichebe was poor yesterday, the service to the forwards was shite and I seem to recall that he operated at left midfield in the first half. I suggest you get off Victor's back and offer a critique of Louis Saha.
Ian Kearney
826   Posted 22/01/2012 at 13:25:26

An entire thread dedicated to destroying a lad playing his first start since coming back from injury.

Some pathetic criticisms as well; he was poor but he was far from lazy ? really stupid, pre-judged comment that.

There's so much to crticise from yesterday, finding an entire thread dedicated to slating this lad is poor.
Ben Jones
834   Posted 22/01/2012 at 14:56:40

He's just come back from injury and scored goals which has given us 4 points.

Yeah, he was crap on Saturday, but so was everyone else except for Duffy and Heitinga. So like Ian said, one thread criticising one player is poor because its the whole team that needs a kick up the arse!

Once again, mere focus on the negativity. If it wasn't for Victor, we would be a lot closer to the relegation places.
Dave Wilson
837   Posted 22/01/2012 at 14:27:03

Peter

I know you probably thought you ar going to get lots of people coming on here telling you how right you are. Let's face it, there`s been many a post about Vic, hasn't there, probably more than the rest of our players put together, he gets slaughtered right? You were on safe ground...

Sorry but I think you have made a complete plonker of yourself.

There is a very very long list of things wrong at our club at the moment, our season's turning to shit and the best you can come up with is to attack the person who has played the least part of it?

Try watching the game, lad. Moyes did not start Vic up front and move him out left, in fact he did the complete opposite. Vic was not moved up top until Saha went off.

You were probably too busy giggling at his first name to notice...
Stephen Kenny
839   Posted 22/01/2012 at 15:27:09

True Dave, well said!

A bit of a baffling one putting him out wide when he's in the goals though?
Jim Hillier
843   Posted 22/01/2012 at 15:51:18

I've slagged off Big Vic on plenty of occasions, but if I try to be balanced, I think the truth is he has never recovered from the awful injury at Newcastle. He was decent in Europe one season, but I don't think he is ever going to make it at the top level now. For what it's worth, I genuinely hope I am completely wrong.
Joe McMahon
848   Posted 22/01/2012 at 16:07:59

I'm prepared to give him a chance again. He's got 2 goal since coming back, he should have been uptop with vellios yesterday. Moyes, Cahill & Saha need to step up! David Moyes legacey = no trophies & relegation?? As for Kenwright- aaarrrghgghhh
Joe McMahon
849   Posted 22/01/2012 at 16:11:38

After watching Spurs today, it's just depressing isn't it. It will be folklore ? "Everton finished above them for a couple of years, yer know," in the olden days...
Tom Bowers
858   Posted 22/01/2012 at 17:01:02

Moyes has been guilty for a few seasons now of persisting with players who are little more than mid-table Championship standard and that is why we are a poor side not capable of playing well, even against bottom-three teams.

We have players on the sidelines whom he will not give a good run out to preferring to show loyalty to others who are consistantly underachieving.

Fellaini far too often looks like a big amateur and should be shipped out whilst we can still get something for him. He is woefully one paced especially when tracking back. Anichebe is also too slow along with King Louis who has run his course.
Will Moyes change his selections? I doubt it!
Wayne Smyth
859   Posted 22/01/2012 at 17:01:38

Some people seem to have it in for our players, whether it's Felli, or Bily or, in Peter's case, Anichebe, who has just come back from injury and has gotten us a couple of goals.

Personally, I don't think any of our players are playing well at the moment, with the exception of Duffy who has looked fairly solid so far... but Moyes and Round will work on him I'm sure. Anyway, I digress.

All the players at Everton are the same ones who've got us results in the past. They're also ones who David Moyes has decided to offer contracts to. Victor Anichebe should be known by Moyes quite well and was recently offered a new deal.

If Anichebe is so useless, perhaps Peter can offer us some insight as to the ability of our messiah who offered these players vastly expensive contracts, yet is is unable to get them playing any better than a pub team???
Sam Hoare
860   Posted 22/01/2012 at 17:14:55

Anichebe is limited but occasionally effective. This is no news flash. Also his goals per minute is better than vellios. And a hell of a lot better than Cahill and Saha and Denis.
Franny Porter
863   Posted 22/01/2012 at 17:28:25

I would love to see Moyes put Vellios and Victor up front, together, for a run of ten games. Give them a fucking chance... I would also like to see Baxter on the bench and given a run out most games.

But he won't; he will continue to play one up front, that one will be the lazy, disinterested waste of skin, Saha.

Moyes out. I've had enough.
Gavin Ramejkis
864   Posted 22/01/2012 at 17:22:01

Dave Wilson knows I'm no fan of Anichebe but he didn't put himself on the wing and he didn't chose the hopeless Saha up front. Whilst Anichebe has at least scored, he should have been in his place alongside another striker scoring goals in Vellios. Instead, we had another dreadful example of the shite Moyes is repeatedly putting out this season.

Anichebe is shite but if he is scoring leave him up front and build up his confidence instead of putting him out wide; similarly Vellios bags three in the week and gets to feel splinters in his arse.

He's never going to be a top scorer but whilst he has scored keep him playing with Vellios or we could all sit back and feel like slitting our wrists whilst Davey churns out more shite. Down we go over the next few games and let's see what the defence of the Jock misery is then.
Mark Stone
866   Posted 22/01/2012 at 17:31:51

'By the way, if he's 23, my bum tastes like chicken'

I don't get this, Peter. Do you have some reason to question how old he is. How old do you think he is? Have I missed something???

I'd love to see a bit more of Vellios, Baxter and Barkley in the coming months. It's great to see Duffy stepping up to the plate and doing well and I'm sure some of the names mentioned could do just as well.

That said, it's one thing easing one youngster into the Prem, it's another thing putting 3 or 4 in. Hopefully if we can get to safety with a few games to spare they'll get a shot. In the meantime it'll probably be dribs and drabs.
Andy Callan
904   Posted 22/01/2012 at 20:58:14

It's a good fuckin' job he was playin' the week before otherwise we'd of got fuck all at Villa Park mate.

IT'S NOT JUST HIM.

Take our ?recording signing? - aka Coco the fuckin' Clown.... SHITE. AGAIN. Saha looked like he'd of rather been eatin' cheese, Cahill looks lost and even Donovan was shite yesterday.

The players, like everyone in the crowd, have simply given up... They realise that we're goin' nowhere, have a shite ground that's fallin' apart and can't raise enough money to buy any fuckin' players.

The gates and atmosphere reflect the players' attitude; it's not surprisin' that it's garbage on the pitch, 'coz it's garbage off it mate, isn't it....!!!
Steve Smith
909   Posted 22/01/2012 at 21:17:02

Some posters putting up a spirited defence of Big Vic, but let's be straight about this: the lad is shite, has always been shite and will never be a regular scorer in the PL while I've got a hole in my arse.

Be honest now, how many of you were rejoicing when he was awarded a new four-year contract? Personally I couldn't believe it, I thought he'd offered to play for nothing or had compromising photos of Moyes doing something naughty. It just shows how far we have sunk to have players of his limited ability in the side.
Neil Pickering
910   Posted 22/01/2012 at 21:28:39

I absolutley despise VIc. If you look at his attitude when he first broke into the side and his attitude and body language now you can clearly see what has happened to him ? he thinks he has made it. He's the epitome of a big-time charlie except he is fucking shite. He's not even a Championship player in my book; Tranmere is more his level.

I hate him, but Moyes sees fit to give him a nice new contract...
Anthony Millington
931   Posted 22/01/2012 at 22:41:43

Yet, he's still scored more than Saha this season and Saha is the first name on the team sheet as a reward for his pathetic form.

Anichebe has been knocked for six with injuries since he got snapped by Kevin Nolan and it must be very difficult to get back to full fitness and especially when clueless Moyes plays him left mid! Instead of Drenthe?! And his 10 million pounds left mid Bily?

Moyes needs to keep us up and then fuck off!
Willy Russell
946   Posted 22/01/2012 at 23:57:10

I've watched the likes of Bernie Wright, Mick Ferguson, Alan Biley and Rod Belfitt pull on the blue shirt and never felt compelled to barrack them or post a blog (ie, write to the Football Echo in those days) about their lack of ability.

Anichebe is in a different class in terms of his lack of contribution, and skill, combined with his piss-poor attitude, petulance and sheer obnoxiousness. Yippee ? he's scored 2 goals ? I don't care, I wouldn't let him play for my club ever again ? even if there was only the next-to-useless Saha in contention for a place up front.
Peter Fearon
979   Posted 23/01/2012 at 04:41:04

Dave Wilson. It's not his contribution to the season I am complaining about. I agree for that he is blameless and others are at fault. It is the fact that, chosen ahead of more skilled, dedicated, qualified and effective players he contributes zero and then complains when he is subbed. As for the rest, I was watching, I just saw things differently from you. That's OK isn't it? When Donovan crossed early in the game and Anichebe muffed his only real chance, for example he was playing a classic centre-forward position. Only much later did he move wide and stopped playing. Mark Stone: When he was younger he was regarded as a magnificent prospect. He has never developed in terms of skill, physique, maturity or attitude from the time he was supposedly 19. He was a prodigy when he was "15" and playing other 15-year-olds. Perhaps it's because he was already 20. Yes it's a little unfair to come down on one player but his execution is crap and his application is worse.