Season 2011-12

Positive waves maann!

52 Comments: First  |  Last

I'm sick and tired of our dour management team saying Liverpool are favourites for the semi. Well they aren't: we on current form are far and away the favourites, so let's put the pressure on them with our positivity, not giving them succour by putting ourselves down.

Times they are a changing... and, for us, it's for the better!!

Ohhh we're all pissed up
and we're going to win the cup,
Wemberleeee, Wemberleeee!!

[repeat until your throat's sore!!]

COYB, FTRS, UTT !
Tommy Gibbons, Upper Tier, Wembley West     Posted 10/04/2012 at 09:07:49

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
900   Posted 10/04/2012 at 14:48:46

It's all just pre-game psychology, Tommy, don't worry about it. It worked against Sunderland when Moyes was saying that they had the advantage of home turf in the replay and hopefully it will work again on Saturday.
Yusuf Bobat
902   Posted 10/04/2012 at 14:59:04

Mind games, taking the pressure off us and on to them.
Andrew Fair
906   Posted 10/04/2012 at 15:11:40

Distin said on Twitter after the Sunderland Game yesterday that with all the talk of the FA Cup it has been a stressful time, so Moyes/Round must know it may affect some players so he is taking the pressure off them! It was effective in the 1/4s and Moyes has to stick with that method!
Sam Hoare
907   Posted 10/04/2012 at 15:22:23

I wish i could say that i honestly felt we were the favourites but i always feel that form goes out the window for such games and my worry is that they seem to have players capable of raising themselves for big games.

If i had to bet my house i'd probably just shade it to them. But least if i got it wrong i'd be the happiest homeless person ever!!
Jay Harris
909   Posted 10/04/2012 at 15:26:42

It must relate to the 180 million Queen Kenny has spent on players which has also confused the bookies who also make them favourites.

I dont care who is favourites as long as we beat them on the day.

l always feel that belief goes a long way in these games so I would urge all Evertonians and the players to will us to the final.

COYBB
Andrew Fair
912   Posted 10/04/2012 at 15:31:11

I think our fans are going to be amazing on Saturday! That will get us over the line in this one! Then onto the final! Hopefully against Chelski to avenge 2009!
Stephen Sullivan
913   Posted 10/04/2012 at 15:22:06

Mind Games?
We have heard nothin' yet from Liverpool but just wait until after they lose at Blackburn tonight. Then it will be Dogleash saying...
"We realise that winning trophies is everything to our supporters" (watering down their frustration at being four points behind us in the league and overstating the Micky Mouse cup win over Cardiff))
and then something like...
"this Saturday is important to us (like it's not to Everton) and we want to do it in honour of Hillsborough" etc etc.
Then the classic....
"We feel outside forces have not been with us recently and maybe we will get a decision or two because the lads certainly deserve it" (conveniently forgetting the long history of lucky breaks against Everton?
Moyes need to remind the press that Everton have had many, many big games against the reds end with heartache as a result of dodgy decisions. He should play on this and suggest we expect fair treatment from officialls and no "bending" to Dogleash's constant whinging.
Ian McPherson
914   Posted 10/04/2012 at 15:36:25

Dogleish is already putting pressure on the ref with his comments. When he did that earlier in the season they got a few dogey pens and Rodwell sent off.
Kevin Jones
922   Posted 10/04/2012 at 15:57:18

Difficult one to call really.

On the one hand, I think Moyes should big us up and say, "The league shows we're better than them so we'll go out and do some serious arse kicking." Now that could rile the RS into a bit of a snarl grrrrrr... see, told ya, and they could say "Oh will you now, we'll show you pesky Toffees".

Then on the other hand we could say, "They're favourites because they've already won the League Cup." That could have one of two effects: on one hand "these Blue Noses are shit scared of us and yes, we're great," boosting their confidence, see what I'm saying. Or on the other hand they could think "Ohhhh nooooo. Clunk we're favourites, we can't lose otherwise people will call us shite."

On the other hand we could say, "Well, we'll see on the day, it's a derby, best team will out.." etc etc. On the other hand, Moyes could revisit the "Gunfight with a Knife" quote and I'll go down to Finch Farm and kick his fecking head in. On the other hand, if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be walking round in circles all day.

So to sum up, what I'm trying to say is, taking everything into consideration, pros and cons, wind direction, slope of the pitch, referee, if I forget my camera again, who wins the toss, we all know Stevie G's a better tosser than Phil... I don't really now.

Hope that clears everything up.
James Martin
923   Posted 10/04/2012 at 15:53:32

Stephen Sullivan I totally agree, it really is that predictable isn't it, everyone's seen it before to the point where you can write a script on it. We undoubtedly play better when we're the underdogs so we have to keep that focus and resilience that got us trhough big games against City Chelsea and Spurs. If we try and take it to them then they will soak it up play on the counter then shoot our confidence with a goal. We have to frustrate them, pressure them into mistakes and make them crumble when trying to force the issue. If we assume too much superiority and pour forward we'll lose.
Scott Hamilton
960   Posted 10/04/2012 at 17:12:12

Moyes did the same in the last round when he said that the pressure was now on Sunderland as they were at home. It worked didn't it!?

Let them think they're going to win. It'll just make the pain more difficult when they don't!
Tony McNulty
009   Posted 10/04/2012 at 18:49:13

I suspect the RS will be quietly worried. But if this were a handicap race and you looked at the Sporting Life form guide (does this still exist? I worked in a betting shop one Summer when a student and the manager showed me how to use the info on which horses had run against each other etc.) then you would see that the RS have hammered us twice this season.

They also always seem to raise their game against us (it is presumably their Cup Final). As a result we hardly start favourites.
Mark Riding
010   Posted 10/04/2012 at 18:57:24

Tony, the Sporting Life ( sadly ) went a few years ago..

Form wise, Everton would be best described in Greyhound racing terms...
Missed break, slowly away, finished strongly !!
James Stewart
012   Posted 10/04/2012 at 19:03:04

We will win!
Kevin Sparke
014   Posted 10/04/2012 at 18:57:57

I don't know about Moyes but there's no way I'm going to feel positive until the final whistle; and that depends on the result.

I've gone into too many derby games in a positive frame of mind and had too many disappointments; in the past.

So, my strategy will be to keep my head down - go into the game feeling miserable and celebrate like there's no tomorrow if we beat them.

Saying all that - we're better than them in every department - goalkeeper, defence, midfield and now that Jelavic is here, we're better up front - the game is for the taking, all we need is a self-belief on the pitch, the bollocks to take the game to them and a decent referee...

I hope Moyes keeps on talking them up to the media - and talking them down to the players behind closed doors.

Get at them Blues!

Mark Riding
017   Posted 10/04/2012 at 19:16:04

Gerrard OUT tonight..
Suarez benched...
Tony McNulty
018   Posted 10/04/2012 at 19:13:14

Thanks Mark. I suppose all that, "a length equals four lbs" stuff is on the web now.

Tonight I am having an evening off, watching the Shite on Sky hopefully get hammered. I wouldn't put any money on it though. Beelzebub's spawn have a habit of beating any odds.
Mark Riding
023   Posted 10/04/2012 at 19:24:42

Tony ' a length equals 4lbs ' .. quality..
Back Blackburn.. Reds are shite... go on.. You know it makes sense !!!
Howard Don
041   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:09:32

Sorry Tommy the more low key and the less we say the better for me. Just turn up and do our talking on the pitch is what I want to see. Let Dogleash do the stirring if he wants.
Tony McNulty
042   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:13:53

Balls. Wimbledon with a few bob have just scored. Long ball game works for them again. We need to watch that on Saturday. Of crap, anopther has just gone in. Best hope now a few injuries.

Mark. I guess in terms of value, a length of Carroll equals about four pounds.
James Morgan
047   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:21:31

Hahaha Doni sent off!!!
Nick Entwistle
048   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:25:56

STRAIGHT RED FOR DONI...!!! Who's going to play in goal???
Gavin Ramejkis
050   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:25:56

Doni straight red ha ha ha ha ha who have the RS got in goal on Saturday now then ha ha ha ha ha
Mike Hughes
052   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:26:13

It'd just be our luck for Brad Jones to play a blinder on saturday. He's just saved a penalty from the Yak !
Nick Entwistle
053   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:26:27

Brad Jones... three years since his last PL appearance.
Nick Entwistle
055   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:27:42

Oh, the typical Yakubu effort.
Jamie Barlow
059   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:29:03

Awful lazy penalty. Exactly why Moyes got rid of that prick.
Andrew Gilbert
062   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:27:56

I think I could have saved that penalty!
Nick Entwistle
063   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:31:41

If anyone else is around I'm all alone in the live forum...

Tony McNulty
064   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:35:06

Sounds a bit kinky to me Nick. Any copies of Spankers' Weekly there?
Kevin Tully
065   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:37:43

My 3-year-old could have saved that penno Andrew!
Mike Burgess
068   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:37:39

Get in there you lazy crap pen taker!!
Mike Hughes
069   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:38:21

Can't see Blackburn losing this now 1-2 against 10 man RS :)
Andrew Ellams
070   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:41:04

Hmmm, third choice keeper is Wembley hero. God I hope not, but it has got the sounds of one of those stories to it
Nick Entwistle
074   Posted 10/04/2012 at 20:51:56

There's 4 of us in the live forum, we want a full XI.

Nick Entwistle
086   Posted 10/04/2012 at 21:22:20

We've got our XI we're now trying to fill the bench.

James Morgan
093   Posted 10/04/2012 at 21:32:02

Kenny Dogleash:
"The ref was poor and against us, it's been like this all season, one bad decision after another. But we will go about our business quietly, we don't complain."
Mike Hughes
094   Posted 10/04/2012 at 21:35:26

Just heard Jimmy "Shithouse" Case on Radio Merseyside moaning about how a Blackburn player should "get up and get on with it".

Cheeky tw@t.
Mike Hughes
097   Posted 10/04/2012 at 21:50:02

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit......
Peter Laing
106   Posted 10/04/2012 at 22:08:26

Bombard the Liverpool / Defence and goalkeeper with more arial assaults than at Dresden and we will be singing and dancing on the streets of Wembley !
Peter Laing
107   Posted 10/04/2012 at 22:08:26

Domino Darkley
110   Posted 10/04/2012 at 22:33:13

Of course we are favourites.

We are a far better team than they are.

Everton have nothing to fear but fear itself.

I just hope Moyes goes for it on Saturday instaed of paying them too much respect,
James Martin
116   Posted 10/04/2012 at 23:00:21

Few Gibson raspers against their keeper with Jelavic poaching the spills should do for us. It'sfinally time this depressing cycle changed and we areactualy allowed to enjoy one moment of superiority. You know full well though that despite years of suffering in the wilderness we still won't be allowed one second to bask in the glow of superiority. Their pact with the devil will see them through this one like it has every other major game against us in their entire history.
Stephen Sullivan
127   Posted 10/04/2012 at 23:20:32

So many positive for us tonight
*Dodgy Doni sent off to replaced by Jittery Jones
*Bellamy and Carroll play full 90mins which must take toll on Saturday, especially for Bellamy who struggles to play two games in a week.
*Skrtel plays 90mins so as their only fully fit/sharp central defender he is bound to feel the pace latter stages Saturday
*Agger has to come on so now played in two consecutive games following long injury. Makes him prone to injury at wembley
*Johnson goes off on 55mins. I reckon he must be injured and now fully fit anyhow.
*The anxiety and panic in Liverpool defense when Jones appeared is bound to transmit to Wembley.
*Defenders (whoever plays) have never played with Jones so on a big open pitch it is inevitable they will feel and be vulnerable.
Other plus points:
*We have a very fit squad and in a hard fought game will have the legs of them in the latter stages
*We are in form
*The dice simply have to fall in our favour eventually to shut those gobshites up once and for all. I have a feeling it's are turn. I really is.
Only note of caution is the sentimental stuff around Hillsborough and the rookie goalkeeper losing his youg son a few months ago. Very sad for him. But, nobody does sentiment like Liverpool fans so we must not be sidetracked.
Stephen Sullivan
128   Posted 10/04/2012 at 23:37:26

I noticed Gerrard signing a young lads autograph in front of the tv cameras. Trouble is, as I have noticed so many times in the past, he hasn't the decency to look the kid in the eyes, smile or at least nod at him. Complete and utter arrogance
Alan Humphreys
133   Posted 10/04/2012 at 23:41:58

Andrew (070) I fear the same, especially with the fella losing his 5/6 year old to Leukemia in November.

To be fair he wasn't really tested at Blackburn but what he had to do he looked like someone who hasn't played a Premiership game in 3 years. Was lucky not to get a red card as well - sweet baby Jesus, I'd have wet myself if that had happened.
Stephen Sullivan
134   Posted 10/04/2012 at 23:41:31

Let's not forget, the ONLY time any of these players have met in a BIG cup game it was WE who were the victors. WE knocked THEM out of the FA Cup Quarter-Final a few years ago. Let's remind them of that.

The tide has already turned...
Stephen Sullivan
144   Posted 11/04/2012 at 00:25:08

Positive waves?

Found one!

28 years ago on the very date of this semi final fate shone on the blue boys?

It's our lucky date?

Why?

Because..................

On Apr 14 1984 - Adrian Heath's late extra time goal defeats Southampton 1-0 in the FA Cup Semi-Final at Highbury.

Perhaps Moyes should highlight the date in a press conference and reverse the negativity of hillsborough etc

It's written in the stars
Norman Merrill
176   Posted 11/04/2012 at 07:26:17

I'll just leave the players to do my talking, by great action on the pitch.
I've seen it too many times in the distant past to make silly comments. C.O.Y.B.
Jimmy Sørheim
279   Posted 11/04/2012 at 14:17:21

I think giving Liverpool the stamp as favorites after our great run is the same as the knife to a gun fight comment that Moyes made against City. What is wrong with showing some guts for once???

I think Moyes is afraid of the bad history he has against them.

Now that they have just won against Blackburn, I fear Moyes has just given them the injection they needed.

I think it is time for Moyes to leave this club, he just does not fit what we need him to be.
It will be a blessing if Spurs or Chelsea go after him.

He has done all he can do, time for a manager who has real ambitions and acts on them.
Gerry Quinn
441   Posted 11/04/2012 at 22:27:35

Positive waves maann!

That is the title.

Jimmy, #279 - why are you adding your miserable comments to this topic?

Will you never give up in your attacks on our Manager?
James Flynn
472   Posted 12/04/2012 at 02:41:49

Jimmy (279 etal). You want Moyes out. You're not alone on ToffeeWeb.
The game Saturday?

I say EFC 2 (at a minimum) - LFC 0.

Now, no Moyes anything. How do you see the result?