Season 2011-12

Crazy Bets, Crazy Prices

29 Comments: First  |  Last

The biggest betting weekend of the year is once again upon us as all punters' eyes will be on Liverpool - when all of Liverpool's will be on Wembley... brilliant introduction.

Anyway, I never place too much on a bet, the bet itself providing the fun. My last success in the National was 50p each way for the 100/1 shot winner a few years back, scooping me 67.50. My other 100/1 shot that day was well... shot. Some you win, some you cover with tarpaulin.

This time round I've decided to concentrate on the proceedings at Wembley and going for the long odds I have Jelavic to score first in a 4-0 win. A lovely 325/1. My smart money though going on Cahill 1-0.

Just wondering if anyone would be taking a punt on Liverpool to ease the pain?

Couldn't forgo a National bet though and went for Swing Bill 50/1 which is what I may well be thinking come horsey time.

Come on you Blue and all that...
Nick Entwistle, London     Posted 12/04/2012 at 16:47:35

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Kevin Davies
673   Posted 12/04/2012 at 20:52:27

I've done the same 4-0 Jelavic bet... pays for next season's season ticket and a few tanks of petrol. COYB
Stephen Kenny
674   Posted 12/04/2012 at 20:55:12

Jelavic to score anytime and us to win three nil is what I'm getting on.
David Harrison
678   Posted 12/04/2012 at 21:06:35

Yea, commented on an earlier thread that since cracking open a ht beer at the Shite's humiliation in Istanbul , I vowed to always back them when I was desperate for them to lose. Haven't always done it but will put a tenner on them this week & hope I kiss it goodbye. Come to think about it, it's sort of how insurance works. 44 years a blue, I wish I could be more positive but there are so many ways we have contrived to lose these derbies that I will find it hard to watch on Saturday-how much punishment can 1 set of supporters take?
Kevin Tully
680   Posted 12/04/2012 at 21:29:12

Get on Suarez biting the ref at 100 to plenty !
Dave Lynch
682   Posted 12/04/2012 at 21:32:53

What price Steve G knocking fuck out of the DJ at half time ?
Dick Fearon
695   Posted 12/04/2012 at 22:23:47

In this nice little town, I will be wearing my Bitter Twisted and Proud club shirt and driving my Everton 2 licensed car festooned with blue and white balloons and my wife saying a bloke my age should have more sense but I don't care what she or other startled citizens may think.

I have a feeling in these old bones that finally, at long last the RS will suffer for all those years of pain.

To paraphrase a few old but good hymns, Mine Eyes Have Seen the coming of a bran' new dawn and there ain't nothin gonna stop us now.

Joe Aylward
706   Posted 12/04/2012 at 23:58:27

Dave Lynch - 6-4 on mate!
Pat Finegan
707   Posted 12/04/2012 at 23:54:40

There's an ad on the OS for 188Bet. Has a draw at 3.20. Sounds like a smart bet to me.
Steven Pendleton
713   Posted 13/04/2012 at 00:41:53

haha. Great work Dick. I've noticed from some of your previous posts that you live in Perth, Western Australia?? I hope to see your car around the streets at about 10.30ish, driving through Northbridge spreading the good word of our win.

My neighbourhood won't know what hit them when we win!!!!!!
James Flynn
718   Posted 13/04/2012 at 01:42:48

Here's a thread. Great stuff. Nothing like plunking down money backing your team to stiffen the spine.

Tomorrow's our day.

COYB!
Jamie Sweet
722   Posted 13/04/2012 at 03:28:29

I'll stick ten bob on Carragher having to play in goal.
Barry Earley
745   Posted 13/04/2012 at 09:01:13

Dick/Steven, I'm also in Perth, down between Rockingham and Mandurah. Do you know of anywhere that's showing the game? Hate the fact it's on Setanta only.
Michael Lynch
746   Posted 13/04/2012 at 09:00:58

I've gone for Distin 1st goalscorer and a 2-1 win at 200/1 (you've got to be in it to win it). It's going to be very tight and I reckon set pieces will be a major factor. I'm also tempted by Baines anytime.
Nick Entwistle
747   Posted 13/04/2012 at 09:03:59

I'm on Ladbrokes and I can't see Anytime bets. Do they do them?
Michael Lynch
751   Posted 13/04/2012 at 09:36:33

Nick, not sure about Ladbrokes but William Hill have got them.
Lee Courtliff
752   Posted 13/04/2012 at 09:47:32

I'm on Sky Bet. I put a quid on us to win 4-2 at 100/1. Amongst other bets on us to win.

I did consider putting a bet on "them" just to ease the pain but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Felt like a traitor.
Dan McKie
754   Posted 13/04/2012 at 09:57:57

I can rarely bring myself to bet on Everton's result, as it is a double blow if we don't get it. If I do, it's usually a first goalscorer bet.

I just hope we play without fear and with freedom as if we do, I believe we will get a good result. I have had a gut feeling all week that we are going to knock 3 in though! COYB!
Dick Fearon
771   Posted 13/04/2012 at 11:20:38

Steven P 713 and Barry E 745,

I am in Bunbury. I have asked around and not found a pub or anyone with Setanta. I will be hoping for a decent internet feed.
It is frustrating that ESPN UK is showing the game but ESPN here in Oz does not.

Steven, my eldest will be flying the flag down in Albany, then moving up the West Australian coast I am in Bunbury, then we have Barry in Mandurah/ Rockingham and further up we have you in Perth. I bet there are other blue noses living north of Perth.

We may be 12,000 miles away from the action but for a couple of hours at least, our hearts are in our old home and with evertonians world wide.

Let it be, let it be.
Simon Hermansen
786   Posted 13/04/2012 at 12:29:07

I had a wierd dream about the game last night, usual one where you cant get the ground in time for KO or cant find a boozer showing it and when you get there no one will say whats happened in the game so far... just me then!

Anyway, long story short, cant remember any details of it but also cant get Baines 1-0 out me head either

Just off the bookies...
Brian Reidy
788   Posted 13/04/2012 at 12:40:29

David #678, I totally agree with you, mate, I wouldn't celebrate the amazing 4th place until the RS were done in the final. I was sitting with me bluenose mate and finally cracked a can at half-time ? the rest you know.

Since coming fourth, I always bet on the Darkside vs Everton ? win, win! Bitter bitter blues... please lads, I don't want to suffer from mutism for the next month. Go and do that red lot tomorrow for me!
Andrew Steen
789   Posted 13/04/2012 at 12:42:18

In my dream last night the following happened

Denis was brought on to replace the knackered Jelavic in the 82nd minute. MOTM Jelavic received a standing ovation following his first-half hat-trick. Everton were leading 3-0.

Denis's first action was to steam in to a challenge with both feet off the ground in to Dirk Kuyt, the impact of said challenge broke his ankle. The referee clearly saw the tackle and punished Denis with a yellow card.

Following the 4 minute break as Kuyt was given oxygen and stretched off, Liverpool lost possession and the ball fell to Gibson who passed to Denis. Denis 30 yards out unleashed an Argentina Special which was heading for Row ZZZ ? however, the ball deflected off the arse of Gerrard who was closing him down. The deflection then landed in the net giving us a 4-0 victory.

Raging with the Injustice, King Kenny needed sectioning for his own protection......

If Carlsberg did cup semi-finals.
Simon Hermansen
793   Posted 13/04/2012 at 12:46:38

Andrew ? now thats the dream I wish I'd had!

Steven Pendleton
806   Posted 13/04/2012 at 13:52:17

Gday Dick and Barry,

Great to know there are a few of us around in WA, Dick. My dad and older brother live north of the river, in Perth, and fly the flag at any possible chance so we've also got that area covered. haha. I bought Setanta about 3 months ago in anticipation of us going on a run. Got me bluenose dad, brother, and few other mates coming round me house to watch the game. Some token reds got the balls to enter my house but they won't be showing their colours if they value their life!!!!!!

My home is always open to Evertonians, if ya keen and in town let me know and I'll be happy to have you on board. I live in Aubin Grove, Jandakot. If keen let me know and I'll give you my details. Not sure of any other place that is showing the game.
Joe Foster
808   Posted 13/04/2012 at 14:05:27

Anyone seen that song "Scousers on Wembley Way" by Jamie Broad?

It's good.
Norman Merrill
835   Posted 13/04/2012 at 15:07:01

Dick Fearon, like you I feel a song coming on, to pinch a line from the great Tony Bennett!
"MAYBE THIS TIME".
COYB.
Dick Fearon
026   Posted 14/04/2012 at 07:42:27

Steven 806, Thanks for the offer but my 2nd son knocks off at 7pm. He is coming to my place where we will scour the internet for a decent feed.
ait is a bit hit and miss but sometimes we strike lucky.
As far as I can tell it is mainly scots who have Setanta and then only for 'old firm' games.
After the Rangers fiasco the ones I know who live up your way will not be taking it next year.
Barry Earley
039   Posted 14/04/2012 at 10:05:23

Thanks for the offer Steve. However, We have came up with a novel "solution"

I'm contacting my family in Bootle at 7pm here, 12 their time, on Skype. They are putting the Skype camera in front of their TV, and I can watch it here!!!

So nervous.........
Steven Astley
193   Posted 16/04/2012 at 12:40:36

Nick ? I think you overstepped the mark with your 'My other 100/1 shot that day was well... shot. Some you win, some you cover with tarpaulin' quote.

I think sometimes it must go to your head running this website...
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
238   Posted 16/04/2012 at 14:21:04

Er... Steve (#193), I don't think Nick runs this website...

Just saying.