Season 2011-12

Accentuating the positive

34 Comments: First  |  Last

Well, none of us is celebrating just now. But as a slight antidote to most current threads let?s see if there is any light at the end of the tunnel. I don?t necessarily think it is a gorilla with a flashlight.

(1) We didn?t lose 5-1. We lost by the odd goal in a game of three errors and three goals. Moyesie cuts with the cloth he has and he clearly feels that we cannot go out and out on the attack with the resources we have. (Does anyone remember when Joe Royle tried to go attacking one Xmas I think, and Sheffield Wednesday put five past us ? something like that?)

(2) Why do we have only these limited resources? Because the main man can neither get investment nor sell us. That is where the true blame lies. His continuing failure. But this situation cannot persist forever (can it?).

(3) Although Beelzebub?s spawn have the Indian sign on us, the fact that they so raise their game is a compliment. They are genuinely afraid of us now. Did anyone read Carragher?s words today?: ?One of the biggest games I?ve played in, right up there with the Champions League final.? FFS. What does that say about how we are perceived? Against us, they flatter to deceive. The RS comet is currently shining at its brightest just before it falls from the sky.

(4) We aren?t actually that far away from them. We are above them in the league (we would be on 53 points to their 41 if we had won instead of losing against them).

(5) When we do spend money, we get a centre forward for 5m whom most pundits would prefer over the one on whom the Shite spent 35m. We may not like it, but spending 125m makes a difference. Whilst they have money to burn on players like Suarez (I hate the git, but he has talent), we lose Arteta to appease the banks, and lose our other creative player in Pienaar who is then cup-tied.

(6) I don?t know what our flying Dutchman did, but I suppose he had to be disciplined, which then left us bereft of that spark of extra creativity when it might have made a difference.

I am as disappointed as anyone. But it?s not yet time to retire to the garage with the bottle of whisky and the loaded revolver. Manure on Sunday. Let?s give Whisky Nose a fright before that lot get crowned again.

Tony McNulty, London     Posted 16/04/2012 at 20:01:36

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Eugene Ruane
569   Posted 17/04/2012 at 06:21:57

Regarding finances: I know this is a long shot but... Wonder if Betty left us anything?
Craig Bellew
570   Posted 17/04/2012 at 06:22:47

Kenwright! The last person I wanted to see tonight, or for that matter the remainder of the season, was this muppet! But up he pops on Coronation St !

Is there any chance they can have him mown down just as he leaves the Rovers?! If not for his piss-poor acting then for his shameful tenure! Wishful thinking, hey!

David Birchall
572   Posted 17/04/2012 at 06:25:11

Nice to see Bill on Coronation Street. He's defo trying to sell. The 24/7 search goes on!
Dan McKie
591   Posted 17/04/2012 at 08:35:44

There isnt 1 positive in that entire post.
Andy Codling
594   Posted 17/04/2012 at 08:41:03

Gold fish brained buffoon
Eugene Ruane
597   Posted 17/04/2012 at 08:29:10

My distrust of Kenwright is so complete, I don't even trust his fictional character, with any fictional money his fictional mam might have left Everton.

A mate of mine is actually a regular Corrie writer (won't give his/her name but swear this is true!) and was, years ago, promised by Kenwright a three week run, in a London theatre, of a play he/she had written.

BK "loved the play" apparently and guaranteed three weeks.

After a week, he pulled the plug.

I asked my mate if another tram disaster so soon after the last one would be pushing things.

I know it wouldn't be real, but after the last few years of shifty incompetence, even hearing of a pretend tram landing on him would cheer me up.

By the way, when he's acting someone else's fiction, he's strangely wooden.

He makes Hugh Grant look like Lee Strasberg.

The twat!

Jonathan Tasker
599   Posted 17/04/2012 at 08:53:45

Gordon Clegg- a son that went missing for 40 years and left for the golden lights of London, leaving his mother to slum it up North.

Bill Kenwright.
Nelly Verdonghan
610   Posted 17/04/2012 at 09:31:53

If you seriously believe we will even trouble Utd at Old Trafford you are seriously deluded
Chris Robinson
626   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:02:33

Trying to accentuate the positive...What is the position regarding the Europa League? The FA have to allocate 3 teams, usually the Carling Cup and FA Cup winners, plus highest placed team in the League not qualifying for the Champions' (sic) League. Liverpool already have a place via the Carling Cup. They won't finish in the top 4, but Chelsea may well do so. Neither would therefore take up the place allocated to the FA Cup winner, unless Newcastle gain 4th spot and Chelsea finish 5th. Even so, that would appear to leave one place to be allocated. Could we qualify even if we finish 7th?
Dan McKie
629   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:12:37

No Chris, If Chelsea do finish 4th, then that would mean Spurs finishing 5th or 6th, so it would be them who took a place. Europa wont go to 7th whatever happens.
Chris Robinson
631   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:15:15

S
Chris Robinson
635   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:16:19

Don't know what happened there....Thanks for clearing that up Dan.
Peter Davies
638   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:22:55

Eugene! Hahaha!! All Betty left us was the recipe for her hotpot!
Paul Gladwell
647   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:36:12

They`re afraid of us!!!! what utter bollocks.
The average red has an opinion that they are piss poor but they will still beat us.
Paul Gladwell
649   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:40:45

And as for that last comment about this coming Sundays game, every blue on this planet knows the outcome, Fergie praises Moyes, Moyes lauds Fergie tells us all what an institution they are and how we need resources, then sits back for a 2-0 defeat and everyone is happy bar us soft fucker fans.
Jeremy Benson
652   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:46:24

I dont think we'll pick up many points in the remaining games. Pretty sure the lad's heads will be done in with the semi loss.

Bit of a damp squib the last few games I think.
David Smith
657   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:52:45

Re qualification to Europa League : I tried to work out all the permutations. Shuddered at the conclusions which appear to be that the only way we can qualify is by finishing 7th BEHIND the RS and them winning the Cup !!
But that means Tott or Newc fall to pieces and end up 8th.
Happy to be corrected.
Realistically : our season will fall apart again and the question is irrelevant.
Ho hum.

Dan McKie
660   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:57:56

You are probably right David, but that would mean Spurs or Newcastle pretty much losing every game, and Liverpool winning every game. If the shite were playing us another 5 times this season, id fancy them.
Robbie Shields
661   Posted 17/04/2012 at 10:47:29

Utter, utter garbage!!!!!!!

The ONLY positive to come out of this, the latest in a long line of Greek Tragedies directed by the Moyesiah is that many many more fans have seen the Emperor has no clothes.

I know I've mixed my metaphors somewhat there but hopefully the useless, spineless, tactically inept, defensive, dull, boring, unimaginative, stale, glum, miserable, cowardly, egomaniac finally fucks off to club which can match his ambitions, perhaps Accrington Stanley are looking for a manager.

Goodbye and good riddance, and don't come back, unless we draw Accrington Stanley in the Cup at Goodison, then feel free to bring your fuckin knife with you to our gun fight where you can surrender as only you can, pitiful man.
Robbie Shields
663   Posted 17/04/2012 at 11:03:19

I'm still angry by the way............
Dan McKie
665   Posted 17/04/2012 at 11:07:37

Well said Robbie, but apparently we would go down without Moyes, without doubt I hear.
Tony J Williams
670   Posted 17/04/2012 at 11:22:52

Tony, there were no positives from that game apart from Jelavic looking the part.

Baines is injured and Marvin looks completely out of his depth.
Barry Rathbone
675   Posted 17/04/2012 at 11:28:55

Tony McNulty

Well done.

Give Eugene a call ask him can he put you in touch with his mate at corrie.

The story lines aren't fanciful enough with Audrey running a hairdressers in a caravanette on the main road.

With your talent Roy Cropper will be signing for us as motivational speaker within a fortnight.
Paul David
701   Posted 17/04/2012 at 12:28:42

So what if Moyes feels we cant go out and attack,how do you know if you dont try?
The point about the shite being scared of us,you must be the only blue that thinks that.I think Carragher's comment was more about Liverpool's fall from grace rather than anything to do with us.
While I agree with you about Drenthe,I doubt Moyes would have brought him on before Liverpool scored the winner.
The only positive is Eugene making me laugh for the first time since saturday.
Phil Bellis
710   Posted 17/04/2012 at 12:51:52

Abso-fuckin-lutely no "positives" from that gut-wrenching, shameful, spineless performance and attitude that betrays all this once-great football club stood for
Shame on you Tony
Norman Merrill
715   Posted 17/04/2012 at 12:52:06

When 24/7 Gordon was sitting in the Rovers explaining about dear Betty's demise,
I could visualize him sitting in some Hotel trying to sell our great club to the supposed number of possible investors, with the same response!
But the tears will be caused by laughter, at the silly
Money he is asking?
Dave Roberts
735   Posted 17/04/2012 at 12:41:46

I've been trying to accentuate the positive since 2.35pm on Saturday but it's proving pretty difficult.

I always feel bad when Everton get beat, I always have done. If we get beat by Barcelona in the 2014 Champions League final (after winning the league in 2013) by a jammy penalty that never was and with the world's media proclaiming we were the better side by far....I would still feel bad....but usually only for about 24 hours.

It's been 3 days now and I still don't feel any better. My wife is threatening to leave me because she thinks I've turned into a clinical depressive. She thinks I should see my doctor but he's a fucking retired, absentee kopite with a picture of St John on his fucking surgery wall and I'm not in the mood for telling that kind of a prick that I've felt 'lousy since 2.35pm on Saturday doc.'

I did start to feel just a tad better last night after a few pints in my local where, for a change, there were none of the smug, red-shirted kopites who use the place to watch the shite's home games (don't know where they go for the away games. They probably go down the road to the next alehouse to get the feeling they are going somewhere with their team) But I went backwards again when I saw that old bint (sorry if it's someone's mum) on the northern news afterwards who said in an interview outside Wembley that she was made up they won because she thought they would get beat today. I bet you did you silly old redshite git.... but I was lucky, my shoe didn't do any serious damage to the telly.

On Sunday night I stayed up for four hours after my normal bedtime and painted 3 ceilings. I knew if I went to bed I'd just start thinking about it again and be tossing and turning all fucking night. That repaired some of the damage I'd done to my marriage but it all went tits up again when the better half said (without thinking I presume) '...bloody hell....Everton should lose more often. Then we'd have a new house!'

Stupid cow!

So please Mr McNulty, you continue to try to feel positive and I'll continue to wallow in frustration, anger and resentment. Hopefully, something will happen that will drag me out of it and back into the world of optimism I left behind at Wembley. I don't know what that 'something' might be, but you never know, something might turn up. And while I'm at it, I have realized why I feel so much more negative for so much longer than usual and that is because the club I have supported all my life through thick and thin, from top to bottom, BOTTLED IT on Saturday. Never was there a better chance for them, the players and everybody else, to pay the supporters something back....AND THEY COULDN'T DO IT, despite being a better side overall than the shite. Despite the 7 thousand of us who went to Sunderland. Despite the 32 thousand who went to Wembley. Despite being handed the all-important first goal. THEY BOTTLED IT. That is unforgivable and I can not pick any positives out of that.

See what you have done now Mr McNulty. You've put me right back where I started....anyone got a beta-blocker?
Domino Darkley
742   Posted 17/04/2012 at 13:27:59

Way to go, Dave.....if misery loves company then you are my new bezzie.

First time I have laughed out loud since Saturday.
Kase Chow
768   Posted 17/04/2012 at 13:44:07

Everything that Dave Roberts says (735) is correct - there are no positives. Even if we finish above the shite in the lege this season...so what?

I'm more concerned about winning trophies. On Saturday my club showed that they are spineless cowards that aren't even prepared to 'have a go'. I could accept the glorious defeat (even if it was 5-1) if we'd taken the game to them. But we didn't. We sat back like the pathetic kids we are that have 'over achieved' and listened to the media saying 'haven't little Everton done well'. Yes, thank you, pathetic little sh1tty Everton have done very well with no money. Guess what, we were even good enough to score the first goal to make it more interesting. You patronising ba5tards.

After the match I bumped in to an old mate that is a Shite fan. In the past he used to abuse Everton and hated us (this was under the Joe Royle management). Hence I was expecting some more abuse. What I got was even worse: an arm round the shoulder and an 'unlucky mate'...........they don't even consider us a threat any more!!! They actually expect to beat us cos we happily roll over and die.

Fans and clubs hate you when you're a threat (witness Sir Alex hating Wenger when they were challenging). They're all right with you when you're a has been (Sir Alex loves Wenger now).

Under Moyes (and I HATE to say it cos I used to respect and revere the man), we have gone as far as we can go. If we can't even fight, we have nothing.

We are a media joke (pluckly little Everton) and a gutless spineless team

I'm still angry and depressed and I can't see what can make up for it

When will we ever get this chance again? Perhaps never. We won't get better than 7th next season. So pray tell, what can make up for this disappointment? Even if we beat the shite next season in the league (laughably unlikely), it still won't make up for this. I honestly can't realistically imagine what can make up for this missed opportunity. And it fks me off big time
Phil Bellis
781   Posted 17/04/2012 at 14:14:12

Dave
it's stil the last thing on my mind before I manage to nod off and the first thought when I wake up - useless, useless, bastards!

Ok Kase...you are soooo right
There is nothing worse than being patronised by a kopite - shows how low we've sunk
(before the usual suspects on here start, I don't give a fuck about how we were under Walter - I've known Everton managers sacked for coming 4th)
"What's Our Name?"
Brendan Rayner
782   Posted 17/04/2012 at 14:11:13

Reference Europa League Qualification. Like some others here, I was clinging on to some hope that we might qualify for Europe in some way but as I see it (as it stands) the top go four into the Champions League: Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Spurs. 5th place: Newcastle so qualify for Europa League as do FA cup winners Chelsea (lets all hope that happens) and the RS for winning the Mickey Mouse cup. And I believe that if Chelsea win the CL (I don't think they will some how) then they would qualify for next season CL and Spurs (or whoever finish 4th) play in the Europa League.

So in reality no chance of European football for us next season (unless we got in via the fair play league - hardly likely!!!) Or we go on and win all of our games for the rest of the season and those above us have a monumental collapse (no chance there either!!!)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news boys, but its domestic football only next season.
Domino Darkley
852   Posted 17/04/2012 at 16:51:14

I am not that bothered about not being in the Channel 5 Cup.

I hate Sunday matches and it would be a big drain on the sqyaud's ebergy come November and we are miles behind in the league, as per.

Fuck I hate you, Moyes.

All my optimism and hope for the future is gone.
Mike Allison
907   Posted 17/04/2012 at 18:23:49

Only 4 & 5 are actually positives, the rest aren't. Until we have players who can create and threaten the opposition, we are doomed to being also rans. We need Pienaar, Donovan and Drenthe (or in the latter two cases a viable equivalent alternative) at the club next season to even begin to have anything positive to look at. We also haven't improved our right hand side in the three years since the Cup Final. Three years, no progress.
Tony McNulty
992   Posted 17/04/2012 at 21:44:14

Thanks to everyone who posted. I didn?t exactly expect a round of applause, and I didn?t get it. Believe me, I share most of the frustrations expressed on here over the last few days, and not only in this thread.

I think it was Maurice Chevalier who was asked how he felt on approaching his seventieth birthday. ?I don?t like it, until I think of the alternative?, he replied. I don?t like losing to the RS, but rather than wallow in negativity, I wanted to try and find some positives. If some people prefer to accentuate the negative, then that?s a matter for them.

Barry, I would like to write a script for one Corrie actor (and incidentally the last time I watched that was when Florrie Lindley was sitting with Ena Sharples in the snug). The script involves that particular gentleman finding some investment to spend on our team and move us from the top third to the top four. Here?s hoping.