Season 2011-12

Design Joke?

53 Comments: First  |  Last

I no longer get excited like I once did regarding the release of the new home strip. Every new shirt seems to lack imagination, creativity and even originality. I pray for the day we can announce a press release stating a link up with Adidas.

However the reason for my post is the abomination which Tim Howard will be sporting this year! I know help for heroes is a massive topic and lots of teams in various sports are showing their support with 'camo' tops but that's usually for one game tops. To have the shirt for a whole season is another reason our club is a joke, has gone stale, and no longer brings me a reason to be hopeful. Pride has long since left and I feel that my support is more about routine these days.

KENWRIGHT OUT.

Rob Wilkinson, Warrington     Posted 05/07/2011 at 06:53:47

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Mike Rourke
1   Posted 05/07/2011 at 12:59:55

I, like you, have absolutely no doubt that future generations of Evertonians will point to the authorization of a 'camo' goalkeeper jersey for the 2011-12 season as the moment Everton Football Club simply gave up...
Alasdair Mackay
2   Posted 05/07/2011 at 13:04:49

I am not keen on the goalkeeper top at all, but I've never been one to buy a keeper strip anyway and the fact that we have a nice home and away shirt this season is a step in the right direction from the last couple of years.

I do have two concerns, though.

1) How are the Everton players going to see Howard easily if they need to play a pass-back or get the hell out of his way when he come for crosses?

2) Blue socks? We are Everton, Blue shirts, white shorts and WHITE SOCKS! It's one of the things that defines us!
Dave Lynch
3   Posted 05/07/2011 at 13:05:35

Wearing a shirt in honour of our brave forces is a show of pride.

What's your point? A goalie shirt YOU don't like? I'd be more worried about what's in front of him for the coming saeson than what he's got on his back.

Dave Lynch
4   Posted 05/07/2011 at 13:11:51

Mike @1... I can see it now: 20 years on and people are dicussing how Everton drifted into obscurity.

"I'm tellin yer" shouts one lone voice, "It was that fucking goalie top Howard wore, I knew no good would come of it!"

John Keating
5   Posted 05/07/2011 at 13:24:04

Alasdair, >I remember as a kid socks were white one season, blue with white tops the next, white with blue tops the next and so on. The ONLY thing never changed was the shirt !!! All blue, white round collar and white cuffs!!
Mike Rourke
6   Posted 05/07/2011 at 13:32:23

Alasdair 2.

I share your deep concern on point 1. However, on the plus side, non-Everton players will think we have no goalkeeper and try to roll the ball into an empty net, at which point the cunningly disguised Howard will pounce!

Dave 4.

I actually laughed out loud!
Michael Brien
7   Posted 05/07/2011 at 13:41:49

And at corners Tim will become "The Stealth Keeper" - taking the ball off strikers before they realise he is there.
Rob Young
8   Posted 05/07/2011 at 13:54:37

Rob, how are Adidas more imaginative, creative and original? I see them using the same design over and over again.

As for white socks, which I prefer as well, I think in our history we've worn more blue and dark socks than whites. Anyway, I think both kits look great (home and away) and I think Tim Howard is very unlucky!
Chris Keightley
9   Posted 05/07/2011 at 14:16:39

To be honest, a goalkeeper's shirt is the least of our worries... I'd wear a camo one to work for a year if it meant we might make a few early signings. This transfer window already sucks big time ? nice to see my home town club Rochdale out-spending us!!!
Franny Porter
10   Posted 05/07/2011 at 15:09:56

Chris. I do wear camo all year, I'm in the RAF. It doesn't affect my goalkeeping ability; I'm still shit.
Ray Roche
11   Posted 05/07/2011 at 15:18:55

Franny Porter.

"He's shit, an' he knows he's shit, he's shit, an' he knows he's shit"

To the tune of "Go West"
Shaun Brennan
12   Posted 05/07/2011 at 15:27:47

Franny Porter (10)

You wear camoflage in the RAF?

What do you dress up as? A cloud?

I can see it now. Colour blind players having collisions with Tim Howard and because keepers are so protected resulting in free kicks to us. BONUS.
James Marshall
13   Posted 05/07/2011 at 16:49:43

Who cares? Once the games start, do you sit there worrying about the shirts our players are wearing and whether it has a bearing on the way they're playing?

They could turn out in leiderhosen for all I care, as long as they win games.

I guess there's nothing else to moan about today, huh....
Rob Wilkinson
14   Posted 05/07/2011 at 16:51:44

Rob Young, yeah if you trawl the lower leagues, Adidas use similar designs... however, if you look at the top flight, their fashionable designs are integrated with the histories of the club. Except for Stoke whose fans are appalled by having no stripes on the reverse.

And to be honest, Rob, I have you type cast as a 45+ male whose gut will overhang wearing whatever. Ask the kids and 12-35 year olds who usually purchase the kits ? they'd much prefer Adidas as a make to Le Coq and as they are the mass market of kit consumers, EFC should listen.
Tony J Williams
15   Posted 05/07/2011 at 17:10:47

Best thread in a while this one, love the cloud comment. Even shared it with the Chelsea fan next to me.
Dennis Stevens
16   Posted 05/07/2011 at 17:24:04

Are you a pebble monkey, Fran?
David Barks
17   Posted 05/07/2011 at 17:25:54

I don't see what is so horrible about it and happen to think it's a decent gesture to show support for the service men and women. Maybe when people are watching the Everton matches they'll see Howard and remember for one second that there are far more important people to worry about than the Everton players, before they go on a foul mouthed rant at Moyes or Hibbert or Osman or Neville.
James Martin
18   Posted 05/07/2011 at 17:43:32

You complain about the home kit not being imaginative (being honest if not one part of it was royal blue there'd be another thread on this thing complaining about the new untraditional kit) how imaginative can you be with the brief of a royal blue shirt? Then you go onto say how the new goalkeeper kit is awful. Yes, it is... but applying your logic to it surely it should be applauded for its inventiveness.
Andrew Presly
19   Posted 05/07/2011 at 17:52:26

Is it officially a tribute to the troops? I thought it was just a nod to the ones Big Nev used to wear circa 89-92 (before he started going with the all black kit, getting lobbed by Carlton Palmer headers from outside the box and 40 yarders from Waddle etc...)

All T-How needs now is wear the socks around the ankles, loads of vaseline on his eyebrows and to dive around in the mud for an hour pre-kick off. Then we'll be getting somewhere.
Karl Masters
20   Posted 05/07/2011 at 17:23:46

Anthony Jones
21   Posted 05/07/2011 at 18:17:42

That's the best reason for Kenwright out I've read yet!!!

"The kit's shit mate!!! Fucking Kenshite's a twat!"

Get a brain lad
Mick MacManus
22   Posted 05/07/2011 at 18:32:06

At first I was afraid, I was petrified..... but then... it grew on me quickly. I think it is an original and 'all action' kit for our keeper. First shirt I'd buy in a while. Also I really like the new home kit. Not a hint of signings on the horizon though. Would ye take a chance on Hargreaves on a pay as you play deal?
Sam Hoare
23   Posted 05/07/2011 at 18:35:01

Top 5 ridiculous articles? Maybe.

Its not a beautiful piece of kit. Big deal.
Pat Finegan
24   Posted 05/07/2011 at 18:50:13

Howard is gonna crouch down real low in the grass and the other team wont be able to see him. Then he'll jump up out of nowhere and make the save. Brilliant kit!
Michael Brien
25   Posted 05/07/2011 at 19:24:28

Seem to remember Everton kit when we won the cup was Royal Blue Shirt, White Shorts and Blue Socks with white tops.

Bonus of the goalkeepers kit is if we are in need of an equaliser Tim could come up for corners unseen and unmarked.
Sean McCarthy
26   Posted 05/07/2011 at 19:48:18

If it's in recognition of the troops serving in that hell hole called Afghanistan (for what exactly??? No one knows!!) will the 2014-15 season kit include the players wearing a tail between their legs??? Just a thought........
Jon Cox
27   Posted 05/07/2011 at 19:51:47

ANYWAY like I said before.

I WANT WHITE NETS Blue nets are crap.

White nets are the business!

NURSE !!
Don Kiddick
28   Posted 05/07/2011 at 20:01:07

Shaun No 12: The cloud gag was priceless!
Dave Smith
29   Posted 05/07/2011 at 20:29:15

Jon Cox - Spot on.

Forget Kings Dock. This is the real legacy of Kenwright!
Paul Gladwell
30   Posted 05/07/2011 at 21:24:11

Adidas kits! The Shite have an away kit in blue made by them.
Dick Fearon
31   Posted 05/07/2011 at 21:27:27

Whatever happened to the blue stripe on the team's shorts? And the black shorts our keeper wore?
Matt Lavery
32   Posted 05/07/2011 at 22:31:24

I love this website - An article that has nothing to do with Kenwright all of a sudden has KENWRIGHT OUT! emblazoned at the bottom all because of a goalkeepers kit which about 5 children would only normally ever buy anyway.

I think the home kit looks great and will be buying it when I'm home next. I've been generally very impressed with what Le Coq have come up with and will admit I was a little nervous when Everton first went in to partnership with them.

I look forward to next year and hope Everton sort something out on the transfer market so my trawling of the websites rewards me with something fairly satisfying. However, reading the shite like the Daily Mail et al. provides us with utter rubbish and therefore what's the point?! But off to explore again.

KENWRIGHT OUT! for his latest theater company production of Scrooge, the man who stole all the millions Everton were loaded with when he took charge!!!
Roberto Birquet
33   Posted 05/07/2011 at 23:50:04

"Nice shirt, but the socks should be white as they were 1967-1979 and 1981-86, 17 years out of 19 when I was growing up. We are not Ipswich, Birmingham, Millwall or Leicester!"
------------
Spot on! and well said, Mr Mackay!

I hate it when we go blue socks for that reason. We're just about unique ? the only blue-white-blue with class is Italy. I sometimes support them for it.

But, if I'm out on the park with the new top, I'll be sporting white socks with it.

I hope those bloody sox go the way of the pink shirt; don't make it till Christmas.
Elaine Riding
34   Posted 06/07/2011 at 00:26:25

I laughed when I saw the camo style goalie shirt..
My 8 year old lad said, "Wow I want one of them, please!" ... go figure!
Claire Cavendish
35   Posted 06/07/2011 at 00:38:19

I quite like it, might buy one :)
Sean McCarthy
36   Posted 06/07/2011 at 01:34:45

#30.... the RS away kit is actually White with a Man City shade of blue flash on the front. Hardly a 'blue kit'. Nothing to get too worked up about considering Neville Southall wore a RED shirt in European Cup-Winners Cup Final back in '85!!
Eric Myles
37   Posted 06/07/2011 at 02:41:07

The blue socks are so we'll know it's our goalie; the opposition goalie will have to wear white socks.
Andy McNabb
38   Posted 06/07/2011 at 03:47:50

Glad I'm not alone here, as I'm normally fairly boring in my dress code... but I quite like it.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if it is possible to get an adult home shirt (not keeper's) without the Chang label? Such as you can for kids' shirts?
Stewart Oakes
39   Posted 06/07/2011 at 07:41:52

I have to say that i like both of the keeper tops for next season, in fact i think that the away keeper shirt is one of the best ever.
Kevin Jones
40   Posted 06/07/2011 at 08:31:47

Shaun # 12, Funniest comment I've read on here for a long time. Actually snorted my tea out my nose

Funniest one I've read was to a thread of, if you could ask Bill Kenwright one question what would it be ? to which some wag answered, "why does Bungle off Rainbow walk round naked all day then put his pyjama's on for bed.

Ray Roche
41   Posted 06/07/2011 at 09:14:31

Blue socks ARE the Everton tradition.

Karl Meighan
42   Posted 06/07/2011 at 10:34:22

He will still be the mad Yank screaming something about being concreted to his goalline.

I always liked the all blue strip we wear at Man Utd, West Ham and Villa, mind you for some reason at Villa its anyones guess as to what strip we turn out in.

Mike Allison
43   Posted 06/07/2011 at 12:30:54

So you want imagination, creativity and originality, but you don't want anything new or different? Genius.

You also want to link up with Adidas? Who usually just make the same kit for everybody, except this year have given Chelsea something disgusting. Your article is complete and utter nonsense.
Martyn Valentine
44   Posted 06/07/2011 at 13:06:28

I've been watching a lot of the T20 cricket and last night Worcestershire were on. Their kit for the T20 incorporates a camo design and looks really good, certainly the best cricket kit on the circuit.

I think it's a bold design and is certainly better than the hideous luminous tops some teams, including ours, have worn recently.
Alasdair Mackay
45   Posted 06/07/2011 at 13:02:05

Good link, Ray. I stand corrected.

Still prefer white socks, though!
Peter Laing
46   Posted 06/07/2011 at 13:12:42

I'll throw my tuppence worth in, I have two kids aged 6 and 8 and they are both raving about the camo goalkeeper kit and still can't decide on either the home (lighter version) or away (darker version). Have a bit of imagination, a bit of fun and some relief from the desperate off-the-field shenanigans that are happening at Everton. I'm sure Tim Howard had imput into the design and choice; if he is happy to wear it, what is the problem?
Anthony Jaras
47   Posted 06/07/2011 at 13:58:04

The goalkeeper kit won't be a problem as we play on green grass, not in the undergrowth of a forest.
Franny Porter
48   Posted 06/07/2011 at 14:04:20

Dennis @ 16. I'm not a Rock Ape mate, in fact I completely exaggerated about the camo I wear for work for comedy effect. I only wear it for about three weeks of the year, the rest of the year I'm in my cloud get-up.....
Scott Hamilton
49   Posted 06/07/2011 at 14:46:24

I can see it now: It's December, pissing down with rain and we're playing away from home. Howard leans casually against the post, chomping on the biggest mutha of a cigar that you've ever seen and looking like Hannibal from the A Team, involuntarily shouting expletives every few minutes...

Nobody would dare enter the penalty area!

Swap the nets for barbed wire and we're there...!!!

Dogs of War 2011-12 style!
Andy Callan
50   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:24:03

I have to say that I quite like it......

At least it seems the proper Royal Blue anyway.

What the fuck has Blue Bill got to do with the fact that you don't like the new top......?!?!?!?

He'll sell when he's got someone to buy the fuckin' club. Until then, or unless you're prepared to stump up the cash, I suggest you wind your neck in....
Scott Hamilton
51   Posted 06/07/2011 at 21:08:13

It's all a marketing ploy to advertise the forthcoming PS3 game 'Call of Duty: Kenwright Out'

Apparently you play the role of a US Marine whose mission it is to infiltrate an under-performing Premier League Football Club and assassinate the manipulative dictator that is stifling its growth for his own evil means.

To complete the mission, you have to oversee the introduction of a regime change which leads to a billionaire philanthropist taking over and them ultimately winning the Champion's League...
Mark Taylor
52   Posted 06/07/2011 at 21:42:50

We are moving to Nike next year. You heard it here first. (Mate works for Nike.)
Adam Fenlon
53   Posted 07/07/2011 at 10:25:41

Christ I'm looking forward to our strip having a little white swoosh rather than a rooster in a triangle.

Actually come to think of it - that doesnt matter in the slightest.