Season 2011-12

Last significant signing?

38 Comments: First  |  Last

My attention was brought to the following website. http://evertontime.com/

It is in development but in the meantime has an alarming countdown from the last incoming transfers that Everton FC have made.

Currently it is the following:

Time elapsed since Everton bought a player (not including youth, loans or free transfers):
1 year 10 months 5 days 03 hours 37 minutes 44 seconds

Time elapsed since Everton signed a player (not including youth or loans)
1 year 0 months 5 days 03 hours 37 minutes 44 seconds

Time elapsed since Everton signed a player on loan
1 year 5 months 14 days 04 hours 37 minutes

Seeing this written down in such a way really brings home how little investment the board have put into Everton. This was sent to me by an Arsenal-supporting mate who couldn't believe it was true. Embarrassed, I had to confess it sadly was.

Ben Howard, London     Posted 06/07/2011 at 12:35:37

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Joe McMahon
1   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:20:10

'Shocking' is the only word for it Ben, it's a disgrace.

It's a strong word to use, but I Hate Bill Kenwright. He has ruined (nearly single-handedly) the once great Everton Football Club. You don't have to be a Sky club to make a go of it, at least Stoke, Bolton and Sunderland try (new stadiums as well). Black/Blue 'Boys Pen' Bill Kenwright has certainly made his mark in Everton's history alright, all for the wrong reasons.

I keep asking myself why doesn't Moyes resign? It could prove to other clubs he is serious... Or is he too comfy with his salary and low expectations?
Chris Keightley
2   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:45:21

Frustrating... nothing else to say than that. Unfortunately Everton are like the childhood bear you never let go!!

I just hope for some fucking blind reason, that one or two (Barkley Garbutt, Vellios) break into the first team and that we get off to a flyer ? then who knows! This team when on a good run are hard to stop: only 19 league defeats in 76 games over the last two seasons are testament to the fact that we are tough to beat!!

Anthony Hughes
3   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:51:28

A midge's dick short of two years since we last bought a player, sums up our financial state really. Even that cash was the Lescott money.
Sam Hoare
4   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:54:12

I get the point but isn't Dier on loan? Which ruins the last counter. Or does it have to be a senior player on loan?

Either way, it's a pretty astonishing situation for a Premier League club to be in.
Ben Howard
5   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:58:46

Yeah I wondered that too. It's been announced by the club but probably not finalised yet.
Dan Brierley
6   Posted 06/07/2011 at 15:57:45

With that in mind, lets go out and get loans to buy players on a knee jerk because its been so long.

And then see a thread two months later criticising the debt accumulated by the board....
James Stewart
7   Posted 06/07/2011 at 16:18:01

Disgusting!
Paul Olsen
8   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:20:51

Dier apparently can´t play for the senior team because of 3rd party ownership issues, so I wouldn´t count him in as a proper loanee...
Dennis Stevens
9   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:34:38

You're rather missing the point, Dan.
Gavin Ramejkis
10   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:45:26

Dan, even if we had the wages or loan fee which we clearly don't (as per January window despite selling Pienaar and loaning out Yakubu with a fee), no team on the fucking planet would lend Everton a player as they know we'll just be using them to temporarily make up the numbers with not a hope in hell of signing them as yet again we have no money.

Sam, it doesn't include Youth loans as stated and Dier isn't 18 yet, I'll put money on it he gets nowhere near the first team again either.
Kunal Desai
11   Posted 06/07/2011 at 17:49:30

Methinks this club will diminish into thin air in the next couple of seasons. Gone are the days of picking up the Artetas and Cahills on the cheap. Any income we generate appears as though it looks to be reducing an ever increasing debt.

I'll give it three more seasons before we end up in the Championship and from there it could be down hill all the way I'm afraid.

Andy Callan
12   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:18:15

The reason we've not bought anyone is because we're skint.

We're skint becasue the board haven't got enough money to make a decent signing ? why should they put their own money in to something that will not yield a return?

The ground is fuckin' shite and doesn't bring in enough cash and we've only 2 or 3 players who anyone in their right mind would buy off us.

It's a fuckin' miracle that we've not been relegated before now if you ask me....

As I've said before, until we get out of that place to get more corporate cash in and start making cash from events other than footie, we're only going backwards.

I don't know why it's such a shock to you mate.
Phil Rodgers
13   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:22:20

It's sad how resigned I am already that no one will come in. Last year, I was spitting feathers... but what's the point? There's an article on Football 365 taking the piss out us. Moyes must be fucking sick of it.
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:44:55

Andy, the recent articles show the apathy at the club for years at board level; if the tight cunts would have spent money on the ground over the last decade, they could have potentially seen their returns through increased attendances and merchandising/catering sales.

Not spending a single penny and expecting a sudden big return is not only a terrible idea ? it's a fucking obscenity to the fans who have put more money in in a single game than they have in a decade.

Chris Bannantyne
15   Posted 06/07/2011 at 18:16:44

Kunal, that was a very depressing, doom-ridden comment you just made.

Unfortunately I semi-consciously feel the same. If things remain the same, Everton will certainly vanish into obscurity.

We don't have THE oldest squad in the Prem, but no-one ever gets younger. When the current lot retire/get sold for nominal fees when they're passed it, then what? We might have a few youngsters and academy prospects make the team, but you can't possibly imagine we'd fill all the gaps???

With our current transfer activity we will certainly be relegated in time; the question is, how long have we got left?
Kunal Desai
16   Posted 06/07/2011 at 19:16:40

Chris #16. Depressing it is, even for me to state the real truth which does hurt. I think it is a fair comment to make and one which hit reality if the current business model and regime continues.

Some of DM's successes have been based on good purchases from the Championship, but how much will he pick up a Jagielka, a Lescott or a Cahill for now?? Half decent players in that league i.e. Taarabt, Long are being talked of around £10M+.

We may not have the oldest squad but some of the most influential players over the years are getting older: Cahill ? 31, Arteta ? 29.

Eugene Ruane
17   Posted 06/07/2011 at 20:16:45

We often complain when the club does nothing, so I think it's only fair to applaud when there's a new initiative.

Blue's new online complain complaints facility:

Bill's incredible claim is ALL requests, complaints and question's will be responded to on this site.

Wow!

Trevor Powell
18   Posted 06/07/2011 at 20:33:01

The last article about Everton on the BBC Premier League website page is called "Everton captain Phil Neville intends to carry on playing".

Is this the limit of ambition that this story has been sitting there for 26 days now? Our club has nothing to interest anyone even in the silly season!

Lyndon Lloyd
19   Posted 06/07/2011 at 20:33:52

Technically, the EvertonTime site is incorrect because we paid money for Magaye Gueye a year ago and also for Apostolos Vellios in January. Vellios may qualify as "youth" at a stretch but I don't think Gueye does.

But, as our transfers page shows, the last time we bought a player to strengthen the first team was in September 2009 with the acquisition of John Heitinga for £6.1m. That's a fairly sobering fact.

Tony McNulty
20   Posted 06/07/2011 at 21:05:09

Did I misunderstand, or is the 24th of July the day when we make a purchase (24/7)?
John Chambers
21   Posted 06/07/2011 at 21:25:52

Didn't we also spend money buying Mucha?
Chris Matheson
22   Posted 06/07/2011 at 21:40:04

Two points stand out for me from this thread:

1 ? There is remarkably little tub-thumping in favour of the board. I hope that this is because reality is sinking in to most blues, on this site and elsewhere, that our board of directors are a toxic drain on the life of the club.

2 ? What are we going to do about it? Despite the realisation I hope that I am beginning to see, I still fear there is a general apathy amongst Evertonians. We've talked about demonstrations and stuff on this site. Nothing ever comes of them. What has to happen before the anger reaches boiling point? At what point do the rank and file blues stand up?
Simon Harris
23   Posted 06/07/2011 at 22:11:49

Chris, #22 in answer to your 2nd question, regrettably only the resignation of Moyes and the inevitable subsequent decline.

I'm really struggling to understand the apathy of some Evertonians towards our current plight ? my father included, who has seen us play in the 2nd Division, who keeps telling me something will happen soon and that we have to trust that Kenwright has the best interest of the club at heart.

You can imagine our pre- and post-match conversations can get quite heated; unfortunately, I'm still impatiently waiting and just hope my old man doesn't have to suffer watching us in the 2nd flight again.

Kenwright Out!
Gavin Ramejkis
24   Posted 06/07/2011 at 22:23:44

Lyndon or any other statto out there, can you answer when Everton last bought a first team player that wasn't funded by selling someone else?
Dennis Stevens
25   Posted 06/07/2011 at 23:40:51

Wouldn't that be back during the inter-war period, Gavin? Or maybe before the Great War?
Richard Bradley
26   Posted 06/07/2011 at 23:33:26

Is the current plight of our club down to Kenwright? Johnson fucked up this club, let's not forget that. Kenwrigh has managed to keep Moyes on side for more years than he probably should have done. The fact is Everton are not an attractive club to purchase. The sad fact is, unless we move from Goodison and fall into bed with some retail partner, the club will continue in this vein and no-one will invest. We are in a sorry state and for me there is little in the way of light at the end of the tunnel.
Thomas Williams
27   Posted 06/07/2011 at 23:57:12

Richard, Johnson fucked the club up ? do you really believe that? PJ has been gone what 12 years now? Were we bankrupt when he left?

During the Kenwright years, he has sold or mortgaged every asset the club had, generating a fair amount of money. In the last 4 years, Everton's turnover has gone from £38M to around £79M; in the last 3 years, we have made £7M on transfers!!

In the last 2 years, we have spent out only £1.5M on players... £1.5M in 2 fucking years... and you blame somebody from 12 years ago?

Everton not an attractive club to buy? Really? Someone bought the Shite over the road when they were £360M in debt!! Man City, Villa, Sunderland, Portsmouth, West Ham, QPR, Brum, Wolves to name but a few... are you telling me they are all more attractive clubs to buy than Everton?

With all due respect to you, I think you need help; you have fallen hook, line and sinker for the Kenwright propaganda ? please wake up!

"I was surprised he became Everton chairman, because I remember him being a Red." ? Alan Ball commenting not about PJ but Bill bloody Kenwright!!!

Nick Toye
28   Posted 07/07/2011 at 00:58:36

It is disgusting what is happening at my club, the club who over the past 25 years has seen much of my money, as well as many others.

It's about time we saw some committment from others involved.
Nick Toye
29   Posted 07/07/2011 at 01:09:23

Thomas, all good stuff mate and 100% agree with you.

However, I believe Alan Ball was referring to when Kenwright was in a sitcom in the 70s when he played a Kopite.

Unfortunately he is a blue, which is his only saving grace.
Russell Buckley
30   Posted 07/07/2011 at 06:20:40

Post 7# from James Stewart sums up my thoughts.

There is no excuse, none at all for Championship clubs and newly promoted teams out spending us. None!

This board has failed in all respects to make us an competitive in the transfer market.

But as clear as the above is to me, it's just as clear nothing will change until it's too late.
Anthony Hughes
31   Posted 07/07/2011 at 09:20:09

It is a strange one when football is more than ever awash with Sky money and sponsership deals and we are permanently brassic.
Liam Reilly
32   Posted 07/07/2011 at 12:26:52

The club is a joke and it was only a matter of time before we got noticed.

A fucking travesty it is and the reason the club hasn't must be because of the estimated sale price that Kenwright and his cronies are putting on it. It can't be anything else.
Liam Reilly
33   Posted 07/07/2011 at 12:34:34

Sorry typo.... hasn't SOLD
Gavin Ramejkis
34   Posted 07/07/2011 at 12:49:19

Nick Toye, that Liverbirds scene rings a little close, would you be able to name ANY bluenose living or dead who has ever said on quote that they feel pride for "that" song the RS sing? I feel revulsion whenever I hear it and if I cant turn it off, pub or wherever, I walk out.
Tony J Williams
35   Posted 07/07/2011 at 13:31:05

I would love for an Al Murray Pub landlord scenario with Kenwrong. "Where's the money Bill? where's the money Bill? Bill, where's the money? where's the money? where's the money Bill? Bill, where's the money? BILL, WHERE'S THE EFFING MONEY BILL?"
Thomas Williams
36   Posted 08/07/2011 at 03:25:25

Nick, the comment about being a red was not based on LIver Birds?

Bally was at a play opening of Kenwright's, Kenwright demanded they play You'll Never Walk Alone at the end, the venue refused and Blue BIll(?) stormed out in temper.

Thomas Williams
37   Posted 08/07/2011 at 03:29:37

The money is going in whatever they call "other operating expenses" on the clubs accounts. When PJ left, this figure was £2.5M, which was the mortgaged loan covering the debt, PJ knew more money would flow into the club with the increased TV and rights deals about to be brought into the EPL, so that would cover that loan and more.

Now, contrast to today, that £2.5M figure is now £23M ? that is where our transfer money is going... what is that being spent on?

And before someone says it is wages, it is not ? that is separate, and again if someone says our wage bill has gone up, yes I agree but, our turnover from 2006 has been £40M a year extra ? has all that gone on wages? NO.

Trevor Powell
38   Posted 10/07/2011 at 21:51:11

Despite not printing my former observation, IT IS NOW ONE MONTH since anything worthwhile happened at the club according to the BBC Premier League page since they posted "Phil Neville set to keep playing" on JUNE TENTH. What is happening to the public face of our club that nothing ever happens?