Season 2011-12

Bored of the Board

19 Comments: First  |  Last

With the huge gear change in the last 3 weeks with regards to the number of fans actually starting to voice and almost be heard about their pure frustration/anger/disbelief with what is happening ? or more appropriately NOT happening ? I did a very small amount of ?lazy Googling? and found out the following, I for one found this VERY interesting!

Everton?s Board of Directors

Jon Woods

After over a decade of success in the gaming industry, he sold Ocean Software to French company Infogrames in April 1996 for US$100 million.

Woods has been a non-executive director at Everton Football Club since March 2000. He is known to shy away from media attention at Everton and never comments publicly on current affairs at the club. He is the third largest shareholder in the club and one of only four directors.

Robert Earl

A leading figure in the hospitality and food & beverage industries, Robert Ian Earl is the founder and CEO of Planet Hollywood International, Inc and the chairman of the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. Earl is also an Everton director.

A lifetime entrepreneur, Earl founded President Entertainment in 1977, a company specializing in theme restaurants that grew from a modest start-up to a company valued at more than $100 million when he agreed to sell the company to Pleasurama in 1998.

On 20 October 2006, Earl the sandwich king bought shares in Everton from major shareholders Paul and Anita Gregg, they resigned from the board following the sale. The deal was brokered by Philip Green. Earl underwrote bank loans to help sign players and extend existing borrowings at Everton.

He indicated that he has no intention of taking over the club:"It's an endorsement of Bill Kenwright, an endorsement of David Moyes ? it is not a takeover. Anything that helps the economic model, and in turn gives David a better pool of talent, is something we want to do."

His most high profile involvement with the club has been inviting his friend and business partner Sylvester Stallone to Goodison Park.

Sir Philip David Carter CBE

Scottish-born football director, life president of Everton Football Club and a former director of Littlewoods. He joined Littlewoods as a 21-year-old in 1948 and 28 years later he was installed as the Managing Director.

He has had three spells with Everton Football Club. His first began in 1976 when he joined the board of directors. Two years later he was installed as Chairman.

Carter was involved with the formation of the Premier League. He along with four others were invited to dinner with ITV to discuss a break-away league that would feature the five largest clubs in the country at the time (Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur) more frequently than any other teams thus those five clubs would receive more money than the others. He responded favourably.

When Peter Johnson purchased the club, Carter vacated his position only to be asked to return for a second spell by Johnson's buyer Bill Kenwright in 1998, where he remained in the position for six years before opting to retire, aged 78.

In 2008, he was brought back to the board of directors for a second time by Bill Kenwright, this time because an Extraordinary General Meeting had been called and there were not enough available directors to attend (a minimum of three is needed) following the resignation of Keith Wyness.

Sir Philip Carter has voiced his approval of Everton FC relocating out of the city of Liverpool. He was awarded a CBE in 1982 and a knighthood.

Now, if I am not mistaken, within this ?information? there is mention of two of our directors being worth over £100m each. I appreciate (having watched Dragons Den twice) that investors only invest to get profit out; however, I for one would have thought the old adage, spend to accumulate would be the perfect underscore of Everton at present... but none of the above want to put their hands in their pockets ? so this raises the question: if they don?t want to do, then why would anyone else??

And then of course there is the Chairman ? Bill Kenwright.

Now I was very pleased to see the back of Peter Johnson ? the man who sold Duncan Ferguson, without the manager knowing about it ? showed just what sort of future we would have had. When I heard a ?true Evertonian? was taking over, I was very pleased.

I for one have been living in the ?Everton bubble?, understanding the restrictions to spending, keeping the books tight, prudent management and the like; however, over the last 2 years, even I am looking at the overall picture and I am VERY worried.

So many failiures:?

* The collapse of the King's Dock project * NTL subsidiary PremiumTV were close to purchasing shares Everton ? never materialised * Destination Kirby

And then, in July 2009, Kenwright explained the club's financial position under his stewardship: "Our debt is a big debt and a worrying debt, but it is manageable because of our performance on the field."

That statement alone is enough to give me palpitations!! One bad season (10th or lower) and we would be in serious financial strife!

With all this in mind, I am not convinced that Bill and the board HAVE been making any positive steps to find a buyer for our beloved club. At present, there are over 20 people in the world with over £20billion in the back pocket ? so there IS cash out there...

Something simply needs to be done!

How??? ? Well, that?s the £160m Euro-winning question... Moyes will go if this situation does not change in the next 12 months, and the ?best squad? we have had in years will vanish ? to be replaced by what?? The likes of Paul Holmes, Earl Barrett and Stuart Barlow??? that for me is too much!!!
Si Harwood, Bolton     Posted 09/07/2011 at 09:08:52

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Sean McKenna
1   Posted 09/07/2011 at 15:41:22

Mmmmmm... nothing really new stated in that piece; however, the revolt has started by Mr Prentice, whether he meant to start the revolt or not, he has lit the touch paper with his double article yesterday.

I suggest you join the People's Group on Facebook and read their recent letter... An absolutely excellent piece: http://www.themerseyjuror.co.uk/2011/07/06/efc-exclusive-the-peoples-group/

Ian Edwards
2   Posted 09/07/2011 at 16:28:57

Kenwright has no money. End of. The focus should be what happens on the pitch and we should be getting rid of this stagnant negative manager who cant even shuffle up a League Cup trophy against the top 4's reserves after 10 years.
Andy Crooks
3   Posted 09/07/2011 at 16:40:19

Yes, Ian. We often hear, and it's true, that Moyes keeps the heat of Kenwright. However, I believe that lack of funds very nicely provides excuses for Moyes's failings as a coach. They are plentiful and, without the funding get-out, he would struggle to survive.
Michael Kenrick
4   Posted 09/07/2011 at 16:48:44

I started reading that "People's Group" letter ... but couldn't get past the first paragraph without seeing all that LFC shite in the sidebar... WTF?

Why is an Everton fan group publishing this on a Liverpool website?

It is a good letter though, listing plenty of the issues with Kenwright many on here have been banging the drum about for a long, long time. It remains to be seen how successful a direct mailing to the media will be in changing anything...

Paul Dewhurst
5   Posted 09/07/2011 at 17:13:51

Michael - you run an EVERTON fan site which regularly advertises Liverpool FC merchandise and has several times posted articles justifying why - which if I'm honest I understand why. But to post that last comment makes you a fucking grade 1 hypocrite - wind your neck in!
Sean McKenna
6   Posted 09/07/2011 at 17:30:13

Michael, could you put that link on this EVERTON site please as I asked, not below my name but as an article. I'm sure every Everton fan would love to read that letter, I couldn't care less if it was posted on the LFC main website ? the more people who read it the better.
Andy Riley
7   Posted 09/07/2011 at 17:39:13

To use a Churchillian phrase perhaps there is some hope that with the furore over the Echo sycophants we may have reached "the end of the beginning" so far as this useless regime is concerned. This is said more in hope than expectation but perhaps the current inactivity is caused by clearing the decks ahead of some imminent sale.

I heard Ian Snodin before fleetingly say something on Radio City along the lines of Everton couldn't buy anybody "at the moment" with great emphasis on the "at the moment" with I hope a view that things may change. Am I clutching at straws?

Ryan Holroyd
8   Posted 09/07/2011 at 17:37:28

Ian, Andy.

David Moyes has kept our football club on the straight and narrow. If it wasn't for Moyes then Kenwright and his equally inept board would have been ran out of Liverpool a long time ago. The responses to that shite article by David Prentice at the Red Echo shows most sensible supporters are starting to realise that the 5th place finishes of a few years back will not happen again. Unless the egomaniac who is slowly killing our football club is stopped, we will be dropping down the league even further to a position that is more suited to our spending of around 14th.

If you seriously think Moyes is the problem and Kenwright and his old boys' network Board are not then god help you and Everton football club.

Look at the have-nots and the haves in the Premier League. United take £100 million in commercial activities alone, Man City have just signed a deal worth up to £400 million pounds (!).

What do we have? A skint shithouse of a chairman who claims he has been searching 24/7 for investment (I don't believe it for one minute... and actually we have documented proof from the Kirkby enquiries that none of the major shareholders have any interest in selling their shares). We have a ground that is falling to bits, no net spend in 4 seasons, trying to sell players just to pay bank loans...

I really think a bad start this season and we will have riots at Goodison. Seeing teams like Stoke, Leicester, Brighton all out-spending EFC is absolutely shocking and Kenwright should hold his head in shame.

But do you know what: he won't. Because the status of owning EFC is what it is all about for him.

OUT-SPENT BY BRIGHTON, STOKE AND LEICESTER.... FUCKING SHAMEFUL!!

KENWRIGHT, DO ONE!!!
Michael Kenrick
9   Posted 09/07/2011 at 17:55:33

Paul (#5) ? good catch!

I don't have to see those blasted things coz I edit the pages from behind as it were... out of sight, out of mind... but fair does, I'll hold my hand up.

I guess I'd had my mind set by reading today many of the brilliant comments on Ben Jones's mailbag item, which are summed up perfectly for me by Scott Hamilton:
I think a few of us have found this thread quite cathartic. Hate is an emotion that I rarely feel and, when I do, it's normally fleeting. I can honestly say that I hate Liverpool FC, 99.99% of their fans and everything that they stand for.
Given that, it truly sickens me to see this lad 'Scotty' in bed with a bunch of fucking redshite bastards on t'internet. That's my gut reaction.

He also needs a good editor to sort out some of his glaring gaffs... so I will unreservedly offer to host all his posts on this EVERTON website. Scotty! Get yer arse over here!!!
Andy Crooks
10   Posted 09/07/2011 at 18:01:37

Yes, Andy. I think you are. "at the moment" means when Rodwell or/and fellaini are sold, when the bank get a huge cut and when we but a cheap utility player with whom our coach will be well pleased.
Scott Hamilton
11   Posted 09/07/2011 at 17:55:41

To get back to the point of the article, whether it repeats many made before or not, I found it very interesting Si.

We already have "men of significant means" that own our beautiful football club yet no money is being spent. That is a curious scenario to which we have had no explanation.

I guess the only true addressing of the issue were BK's comments about Premier League football being for billionaires rather than millionaires, his point being that, although our shareholders have significant personal wealth, it is a drop in the ocean compared to what is required.

Who knows! It is always interesting to be reminded of who actually owns this club though and to speculate from there.
Ryan Holroyd
12   Posted 09/07/2011 at 18:17:23

Yea, Andy Crooks. I'm sure Moyes will be well happy if Felli or Rodwell are sold and we get a cheap replacement in. %
Paul Dewhurst
13   Posted 09/07/2011 at 20:12:14

Michael - good response to be honest!
Michael Kenrick
14   Posted 09/07/2011 at 20:23:02

Sean: your wish is my command:

A plea for media investigation
Scott Hamilton
15   Posted 09/07/2011 at 20:42:04

Michael (8) - I think you'll find that it's gaffes with an 'e'!

Hopefully you weren't being ironic and I missed it... I hate that!
Michael Kenrick
16   Posted 09/07/2011 at 21:22:51

Errr... Yes... Of course, I knew that.

(Note to Self: how embbarasing... Get neow spel-chequer...)
Ian Edwards
17   Posted 09/07/2011 at 23:05:18

Ryan

We only beat three of the bottom ten at home last season. Teams that came to play football, we beat. Those that came to defend, we didn't have a clue against. We had the usual one up front and then, when we were losing, we brought another forward on in the second half.

Tactics obvious game after game. No pace, no width, no inspiration.

Does Kenwright decide we play these tactics?

We have no money. All our income goes on wages. Deal with it.
Matt Traynor
18   Posted 10/07/2011 at 10:41:07

I don't think you can assume that we have 2 directors worth upwards of £100m. Firstly, that assumes they were 100% beneficiaries of the sales of the businesses, which is unlikely, and secondly that it is not tied up in other businesses, i.e. liquid.

But the real point here is £100m is probably not enough now to play the Premier League club ownership game! Whatever your thoughts of BK, he was nail-on-head when he said you words to the effect of you don't need millionaire owners now, but billionaires.

Many have asked about the business model for football, and whether there is one! I've always believed that the rationale behind the fuckery that is EPL was to do with the media rights. Sky is part of a global media company, and the real growth has been in overseas broadcasting with affiliate broadcasters and third party buyers.

10 years ago, companies in the Middle East and Asia didn't give a shit about branding. They just made and sold shit. Now, as they push their influence globally, they've cottoned on to all this marketing speak that has been spouted in the west for the last 2 decades.

Suddenly, a number of things happen:-
- Overseas, most EPL games are now on live. This will increase with content-sharing between pay TV platforms (EPL/NewsCorp don't like this, but until they start running governments, they can't stop it... Ooops)
- Suddenly the global reach of the premier league increases and companies with money to spend on branding can see a real return on investment
- Foreign sponsorship of EPL teams is up, as is the value of the sponsorship for the most-hyped (Liverpool, Man U £20m/year shirt deals!) Even the companies behind this seasons new deals at WBA and Villa are either Asian-owned or affiliated.

For Everton, we are too dependent on broadcasting revenue - it's too much of a proportion of total. Matchday revenue is limited due to the ground capacity, and limited corporate facilities.

Everton don't believe they have much of an overseas fanbase to commercialise the brand (through licensing, not merchandise sales per se). Also, we've not made any attempt to break the Asian market by signing a top Asian player (more Park Ji Sung than Li Weifang). The UK work permit rules don't help this, but the impact would be huge if done as successfully (proportionately) as Park for Man U.

Most clubs in the Prem are in a similar position. Our deal with Thai Bev is £2.6m per annum, and I think is up for renewal this year. I believe Thai Bev have successfully launched their product in the UK off the back of that deal, will they want to stay? Pay more? Go somewhere else?

I don't envy the challenge the clubs face. Where all the clubs have made a rod for their own backs is by allowing wages / transfer fees to go mental. Transfer fees may come down under FFP, but as long as one club is willing to pay stupid money, it screws it up for everyone else.
Andy Callan
19   Posted 14/07/2011 at 20:20:01

How much have you chucked in then.......?!?!?!?

Would you honestly put your own cash-money in to a venture that will yield no return whatsoever.....?!?!?!?

We need to get out of that fuckin' ground and start makin' some cash from other activities other than footie; ultimately ATTRACT NEW INVESTORS.

No one in the right mind would buy Everton FC mate - that's the issue here.