Season 2011-12

Where's Wally?

14 Comments: First  |  Last

Sorry about the title but I've been on the Official Everton Website for the last few days looking at pre-season coverage. One thing strikes me ? where is Mikel Arteta?

I've not seen him in any photographs or on any of the videos. Has anyone seen him in any of the OS coverage? Don't think he's injured or been on international duty, any thoughts?

Philip Jones, Anglesey     Posted 09/07/2011 at 16:34:37

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 09/07/2011 at 18:06:33

It would have been nice to see a list of all the players who are over there... I'm guessing he might have been allowed back a week later but he does not seem to fit the bill for those who were listed as receiving this dispensation.

I thought I'd try to assemble such a list from the articles and galleries on the OS... but I find that site and the audio thing so frigging annoying, I soon lost interest. (Oppps ? I'd better check our ad panes ain't doing that too, or Paul Dewhurst will be calling me a Grade 1 hypocrite again!)

John Daley
2   Posted 09/07/2011 at 18:09:14

"Where is Mikel Arteta?"

I gave up asking that question mid-way through last season.
Christopher Brierley
3   Posted 09/07/2011 at 18:24:23

I heard he was already in America with T Howard as he has a slight injury and is being treated out there ready for when the squad travel over there.
Gerry Quinn
4   Posted 09/07/2011 at 18:38:12

I think that he is the one 3rd from the left........

Jon Cox
5   Posted 09/07/2011 at 19:23:17

Yo Gerry, hows it goin.

Did you check out the last shuttle launch or are you over here?
Tom Bowers
6   Posted 09/07/2011 at 22:33:20

Arteta in form is a terrific asset to the Blues. Let's hope he's here for the whole of the coming season. Rumours keep abounding about certain players and we can only hope our key assets remain especially if we have no money to spend.

Meanwhile, we must hope that some of the fringe players make the step up to the 1st team as this will serve to push those already there to respond with 100% effort more consistently.

Mike Gwyer
7   Posted 10/07/2011 at 08:42:16

Tom #6.

Your last paragraph is, I'm sorry to say, a load of tosh - we have no fringe, reserves or long term injured players who can "push" any of our first team team.

IMO we can just about throw out 11 players that have good premiership experience and with BK eyeing up any possible offers, we may soon be seeing the relics of Everton's first 11.

Drew O'Neall
8   Posted 10/07/2011 at 10:03:32

Football is a business.

Arteta should be sold on for a healthy profit.

The test of a good manager is being able to sell your best players for top dollar and then replace them.. See Arsene Wenger.
Sam Hoare
9   Posted 10/07/2011 at 13:13:39

Haven't seen Billy in many of the pictures either.

Maybe the rags story about swapping him with Aiden Mcgeady has some truth in it? Now that would be awesome!!!

Think Mcgeady would do well in the Premiership, he is quick and skillful but also stubborn and hardworking. Not that you have to be a superstar to offer more than Billy did last season...
Aiden Doyle
10   Posted 10/07/2011 at 13:49:17

Couldn't agree more Drew - and Ferguson's ability to do the same is just as impressive.
Ian Smitham
11   Posted 10/07/2011 at 23:10:45

Drew, IMHO you are entirely correct. Nothing against Micky, but at age 29 (I think) he is not going to get faster or stronger and any funds we get will reflect that. If one "big" player has to be sold for the Bank then sadly I say it should be Mikky. Ignore corners, first man and defensive walls, and also injuries and numbers of appearances, just good for him to get a pay rise and us to to get some money.
Liam Reilly
12   Posted 11/07/2011 at 12:01:31

Selling Arteta in the last close season would have been unthinkable, so why after 1 poor season has he just become fair game?

Give the lad a break and get behind him. He's still the most skillfull player we have and I don't see queues of quality footballers waiting to sign up to replace him.
Dan McKie
13   Posted 11/07/2011 at 15:50:36

Liam, Arteta hasn't become fair game, but with all the talk of selling Baines, Jags, Rodwell and Fellaini, some Everton fans are looking towards the close to 30s centre midfielder (where we are reasonably strong) that can still command a decent fee, as well as slashing 75k a week off the wages, rather than keep him until he retires or isn't worth nearly as much.
Christopher Kelly
14   Posted 12/07/2011 at 19:02:34

I can't even look at those pictures! I have nothing against homosexuality but when my favorite football team is splashing around the water like a bunch of hoo-ha's....

Let's just say I'm concerned for our season