Season 2011-12

Once again a summer of discontent!

31 Comments: First  |  Last

Once again another summer of doom and gloom at Everton FC. No players in, no sign of any on their way, no bids, no enquires, no interest, no NOTHING! Sound familiar?

The same old 'best squad in years', and referring to youngsters as 'new' signings won't wash with Everton fans this summer, simply because we have been there and seen it all before. Elstone's latest attempt to paper over the cracks with phrases such as 'we are ambitious as ever' can only seen as a desperate attempt to manipulate the Everton faithful.

The truth of the matter is it has been 1 year 10 months and 15 days since Everton last signed a first team player for a fee... and even that was funded by the Lescott money! The Everton Board have failed to move into the 21st Century and are failing further behind as the years go by. The majority of fans have had enough of lies and false promises. Even Bill's get-out-of-jail card (Moyes) will only put up with it for so much longer.

We can all pray for an N'Zogbia or a Sturridge but the harsh reality is we have to make do with what we have got, and continually stand still whilst teams like Stoke and QPR overtake us in the transfer market.

Once again we stand still and re-live our summer of discontent and once again our ambition-deprived board stand and watch the rest of the Premier League move with the times. This re-occuring nightmare that is known to us as 'the summer transfer window' cannot go on forever. Something has got to give...

Ryan Thompsom, Liverpool     Posted 16/07/2011 at 20:42:16

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Christine Foster
1   Posted 17/07/2011 at 04:01:39

Ground hog day....
James Flynn
2   Posted 17/07/2011 at 06:50:59

"Doom and gloom"? Fuck off. It's a new season. Into the Top 4 we go. This year. Now!

We're not some horseshit team on the fringe. We're the team just outside with a clear view of everything good inside.

The season hasn't started and we're "doom and gloom"? Can't root for my team that way.

We have guys who can put it in the net. They do? Champions League here we come. Why do I say that?

Just to the right of reading this is the EPL's standing last year. Turn half the draws into wins and only one 1-goal loss into a win. Doesn't take much. We have everything but putting into the net. We developed the chances. Our boys up top need to finish.

Why not this season?
James Flynn
3   Posted 17/07/2011 at 07:16:09

Oh, I left out. Absolutely no one wants the Yak anymore. No one. His day as desirable to other teams is over.

Might matter to him.

John Audsley
4   Posted 17/07/2011 at 09:15:02

Have Yak and Yobo been left out of the US squad??

If true i guess transfers must be lined up as the squad is so small we would need them on the bench at least

My only doom and gloom is with the owners

Moyes and the team are different and we need to be positive on that score
Steve Hopkins
5   Posted 17/07/2011 at 10:06:04

WHO was our last signing with a fee involved? Was it Dystin? I genuinely can't remember as its been that long.
Mike Bates
6   Posted 17/07/2011 at 10:19:25

Bily I think it was, Steve.

James, likewise you can turn half of those draws into defeats and one 1 goal win to defeat and we're in the shit - in your words 'it doesnt take much'. I think my rewrite of history is much more likely considering we haven't strengthened our squad and, seemingly, everybody else has/is. I wouldn't say its 'doom and gloom' though, just realism.
Karl Meighan
7   Posted 17/07/2011 at 10:02:14

It would just be nice if Talkshite and Elstone explained why Stoke, Bolton, Sunderland and the like can afford to outspend us in the transfer market yet consistently finish below us? When they do try to explain it away its in riddles and you need a fuckin degree to understand the executive and financial talk.

Ime quite sure not all these clubs have chairmen who fund transfers out of there own pockets. Everton must bring in more money than some of these clubs that outspend us, attendences and higher league finishes mean we generate more money and even allowing for a higher wage bill should we not be in a healthier position when the transfer window is open? I know there is probably a lot more to it but it would be nice if it was expained in a way that the average football fan could understand, it would certainly help me.

James@2 I like your optimism and quite right with the new season around the corner but the Champions Man Utd feel its right to bring in players and move forward so with us finishing seventh i expect us to bring at least one or two to try to improve us not standstill.
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 17/07/2011 at 10:25:32

James love the eternal optomism but with a squad thinner than the gene pool in deliverance we are right royally fucked if we get injuries in at least three positions. Our strike force (considering Yak's absence from the US trip) consists of Saha who will never give us more than 20 games per season, Beckford who isn't a lone striker and Anichebe who isn't a striker fit for this level.

Other players we have are getting older and until Kenshite fucks off none of this is going to change.
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 17/07/2011 at 10:41:28

Karl try to comment on Elstone's blog - in fact anyone and everyone try, ask a question and see how long before it disappears, like his "daily contact with fans" it's a fucking charade with selected BK arselickers only allowed, blatant propoganda Comical Ali would have been proud of.
Dean Adams
10   Posted 17/07/2011 at 10:42:20

I would like to know who thinks that Stoke, Sunderland or whoever, with the squad strengthening they are alleged to be doing would be better than what we have.
I think we tried to compete 4-5 years ago took a gamble and are now paying the price. The teams mentioned above are about 4-5 years behind us on the curve and will end up in the shit, probably worse than us and we still will fel hard done by.
The league is a joke, it favours the massive spenders of which there are only those that have finished above us.
It wont go on for ever, but it just might feel that way.
Kunal Desai
11   Posted 17/07/2011 at 10:52:36

#3 James. Don't know what you've been smoking or what pills your taking but whatever it is lay off it mate. You honestly in your right mind think we're good enough to finish above Both Mancs, Chelsea, Shite? let alone Spurs and arsenal....behave!!
Trevor Mackie
12   Posted 17/07/2011 at 10:52:46

The side bar to the present building criticism is it provides Moyes and co the perfect "backs to the wall, the world's against us" bollocks.

I wouldn't bet against us getting a few results at the start.

Motivation not money?

We'll see.
Trevor Lynes
13   Posted 17/07/2011 at 20:07:14

This is the first couple of years at EFC since I first watched them back in 1948 that we have not been able to BUY a player. Every club with any sort of ambition (not just survival) must have a transfer budget of some sort every season. We do not seem to have one and that's even after loaning out a whole team last season and bringing in NOT ONE!!!

I find this reprehensible and disgraceful and Elstone's talk about ambition just makes me livid!!!

Our so-called quality squad is ageing year by year and nothing is being done to replace players like Neville, Distin, Arteta, Saha, Cahill... some of whom are becoming injury-prone and in some cases chronically so!! We do not seem to have youngsters who are able to fill these places adequately.

I have begun to hate the LOAN system which we use to the detriment of the squad, leaving us threadbare and without cover at all in some positions.

I cannot believe the 'blue tinted' glasses brigade who see our existing squad in such a positive way. Perhaps this season we will be OK, but where do we go from there... if we do not bring in players, we will inevitably slide.

Michael Kelly
14   Posted 17/07/2011 at 22:27:27

It seems, of late, the focus has really shifted back onto BK, which is good; however, in my humble opinion, Moyes should not be left out of the equation. He has had 10 years at it now and things are too stale, last season's comments after the loss at Bolton were a disgrace saying after 3 weeks he knew we were in a relegation dogfight but in reality he still "toed the party line". I would have more respect for him if he just packed it in, instead of putting up with the same old bullshit from BK but, as he showed in 2008, when he sulked over his contract talks, he also cannot be trusted.
Andy Crooks
15   Posted 17/07/2011 at 22:39:50

The optimism at the start of last season was startling, with talk of Champions League and even winning the title. The season was disappointing but as we head toward the new season this article and some of the comments suggest that's returning again, Why? Key players are a year older and nothing has changed,.
Ciarán McGlone
16   Posted 17/07/2011 at 22:50:15

Mr Flynn

You came out with the same nonsense last year. How many times will you have to be proven wrong before realising how to analyse our chances in an upcoming season?

We've needed players in certain positions for several years now.

It's not rocket science.
Michael Kelly
17   Posted 17/07/2011 at 22:47:18

I think the time has come for all Blues who don't like this current regime to make a choice: either start some "proper" serious protesting ? banners and chanting ? or just don't go to the games.

I took the latter choice in 05-06 due to lack of team building / Moyes's negativity / BK's spin machine going into interstella overdrive. Things eventually will get moving if the gates drop, media pressure, etc...

Clive Lewis
18   Posted 17/07/2011 at 23:25:16

Isn't it time to break out the banner. Can anyone think of a good banner to unveil at Goodison to stop our club from being possibly relegated? This will happen if we lose Moyes, which we surely will, if another opportunity comes along soon. We need everyone to understand the fans are against this continuing.
Michael Kelly
19   Posted 17/07/2011 at 23:47:24

What about... KENWRIGHT OUT NOW ? or is that a bit obvious??
James Flynn
20   Posted 18/07/2011 at 03:15:23

Ciaran (16) - To which you responded in the same nonsensical way as above. It's the off-season. If I can't be enthusiastic now, when can I?

So, 2 things Grasshopper:

1. You root for the team your way and I'll root for it mine.

2. Where the hell have you been? The site is more fun with you in it. Pick a fight with Dave Wilson (among others). You 2 were going at it so well and often when I joined, I had to stay to watch.
James Flynn
21   Posted 18/07/2011 at 03:21:56

John (4) - Ha! Good one. And I'm with you on differentiating between our poor ownership and those in the changing room.
James Flynn
22   Posted 18/07/2011 at 03:44:26

Mike (6) - The doom is gloomy isn't it. You see us as a few goals from relegation and I see us as a few goals from in the money.

We'll watch and we'll see.
James Flynn
23   Posted 18/07/2011 at 03:46:40

Karl (7) - No quarrel. I say Moyes has re-built the team the last 2 years and think we have enough to jump up this season.
James Flynn
24   Posted 18/07/2011 at 03:49:21

Gavin (8) - I hear you. All I'm saying is let's see what happens. It's this business where the season hasn't started yet and we already suck?

We're in a 19-team tie for 1st Place is my view. What if we start out hot this year? Whatever the arguments about ownership, formations, etc, one of the few areas we agree on is the Club starts really slow. What if we start out hot?
James Flynn
25   Posted 18/07/2011 at 03:56:46

Kunal (11) - Rolling Rock beer is my drug of choice. Very good for during-the-week imbibing because it's watery, yet tasty. I save the premium brews for the weekend.

You'll see posts here from me on reefer when I leave my current job. Beyond aspirin, I hate pill-taking unless there's no way to endure the pain.

So view me as an optimistic drunk who loves Everton more than you do.
James Flynn
26   Posted 18/07/2011 at 04:05:27

Trevor (12) - Fuck! Why not and thank you. The season hasn't started yet... "We suck" is all I'm hearing as I sit here rooting for a team tied for 1st Place.

Andy Callan
27   Posted 18/07/2011 at 09:46:28

What will 'give' is that we'll eventually get fuckin' relegated........

New ground, new manager, new board & new hope - is that too much to ask.....?!?!?!?!?!

Ciarán McGlone
28   Posted 18/07/2011 at 22:38:29

I assume by 'nonsensical' you actually mean 'spot on', James ()?
Ciarán McGlone
29   Posted 18/07/2011 at 22:42:21

By the way, James, glad you're on board. I just wish you'd acclimatise a bit quicker.
Michael Kenrick
30   Posted 19/07/2011 at 02:45:32

He won't get 'acclimatise', Cairan (especially with an 'ess' and not a 'zee') ? try 'acclimate'... Uck!
James Flynn
31   Posted 19/07/2011 at 04:43:10

Ciaran (28) - Ha. Good one. See, one line and your back in. I'm assuming you understand Kenrick's delight at that fact. He couldn't help himself but break in to bust your balls.

Just like old times.

All that aside, I know we have weaknesses. But this "sell to buy" is bullshit. Buy who exactly (Or is that "whom", Michael?).

We're past that. I have to go with what we have and what we have is pretty good and been together for 2-3 years. Why not this season we jump up?