Season 2011-12

If it came to it.....

51 Comments: First  |  Last

......and we simply had to sell one or two of our top players, which would you he most keen to keep hold of?

My choice, and I feel the most popular answer, would be Leighton Baines.

The reasons? Well, I believe that he is the best left back in the country and one of the best in Europe.

His attacking ability is second to none and he is surely one of the best crossers in the modern game.

Add to this the fact that his defending has improved no end over the last couple of seasons and we are very, very blessed to have him.

So, out of Jagielka, Baines, Arteta, Fellaini, Rodwell, Coleman (and anyone else you consider to be a saleable asset) who would you fight tooth and nail to keep?

Anthony Jaras, Widnes     Posted 18/07/2011 at 14:57:22

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

David Chait
1   Posted 18/07/2011 at 15:13:22

For me its Fellaini. He has again and again proved that he can single handedly pull this team forward and dominate. I haven't even seen Arteta do what Fellaini has done. He is also still a youngster... Irreplacable.

Personally I would not let any of the "kids" go and I would try build the Rodders Fellaini partnership.
Luke Dunn
2   Posted 18/07/2011 at 15:17:47

Easy: sell Cahill, Arteta, Jagielka, & Anichebe.

The team plays miles better without them, ie playing 4-4-2 and not negative 4-5-1.
Rob Esteva
3   Posted 18/07/2011 at 15:22:24

Anthony ? have to agree but for slightly different reasons. More so because I think he would be almost impossible to replace. Left-backs at that level are at a premium, and I feel as though we would have a better chance of picking up a top class central midfielder for example than a left-back.
Dave Lynch
4   Posted 18/07/2011 at 15:34:13

Taking the other route.
I would let Jags go and move Rodwell to centre half.
Erik Dols
5   Posted 18/07/2011 at 15:51:01

Baines, Fellaini and Rodwell. As much as I would hate to see Arteta and Jags go, they are ageing and if we could get a hefty sum for them we can build on that. Also, I think we have in-house replacements for them, replacing Baines will be a hell of a job.
Danny Jones
6   Posted 18/07/2011 at 15:50:08

If and when we have to sell, for me it would be HeitInga and Bily. I think these two should get us enough money for a winger we all know we need. Plus if Utd still want him, and only on the prevision we get Welbeck as part of the deal, then Rodwell to Utd. But it looks like that ship has sailed!

In a ideal world, and considering our squad size, none of them, but we all know it's going to come down to this sort of thing if we are to get anyone.

John Crook
7   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:09:16

I would sell Rodwell and Bily and keep the rest. Bily is an obvious talent and probably is Ronaldoesque at Finch Farm but he isn't a Premier League player and can't handle the pace and the hard tackles. And Moyes never plays him behind the main forward which would be his best position so for me he is surplus to requirements. And Rodwell is still only a prospect and not exactly at the level Rooney was the last time we reluctantly sold a prospect.

So Rodwell and Bily are my choice if it's a case of sell to buy.

Dennis Stevens
8   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:13:45

Just so long as Moyes gets the funds for his transfer kitty & salary pot then I believe we should sell anybody that commands a sufficiently high fee, or that we wish to off load. If the rumours of generous offers for certain of our players over the last couple of seasons are true, then it seems to me that we've turned our nose up at money we can ill-afford to refuse. Sure it makes Moyes' job harder - must be why we pay him so well for doing it.
Danny Jones
9   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:35:37

Thinking about it some more, the best player to sell would actually be Coleman (although I like him, especially his attitude). We paid £60k for him and if we could get say £5-7million after 2 years ? that's great business, and the money could go on getting a real winger in the team and not trying to convert a right back into one.
Richard Parker
10   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:25:46

I would absolutely keep Jags and Baines.

Fellaini either signs or gets sold now, not when he's worth bugger all.

For all Arteta's poor performances, I struggle to see where we might get a spark from without him. He's got the talent to create from nothing, which we don't have any more. Such a shame we lost Pienaar, because with the 2 of them in the side we had creativity. I can't see us replacing Mikel, so keep.

Rodwell would make the least immediate impact on the side if sold, but the long-term implications are much greater.

If I could sell anyone at all, it would be Bily, Anichebe, Yobo and Cahill (TC purely because he's getting on). I guess we'd get about £12M for the lot, which won't buy a lot of player these days.

If Fellaini won't sign, then he can fuck off right now, he could fund 3 decent new players alone.

If Yak isn't going to play, then get shot now too but I'd guess we won't get more than 3 or 4 mil now.
Andrew Ellams
11   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:12:40

No way do we wany Wellbeck. After watching the U21s in the summer, he didn't look much better than Anichebe.

To be honest, I'm not sure that there is anybody at Man U that they would be likely to let go that I would be happy to see come in
Matthew Tait
12   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:38:42

I don't think any of our top players are saleable assets. Our squad is too thin - if we start selling what little genuine quality we have, we're screwed.

If I thought there was much chance that Fellaini would renew his contract before next summer, I could live with us selling Rodwell this year. But as we'll likely have to sell Fellaini next summer to avoid another Pienaar situation the following year, we need to keep Rodwell as Fellaini's successor.

We can easily enough part with the likes of Bily, Heitinga, Yakubu, Yobo - the fringe guys from last year. I would add Coleman to that - I think he's a bit over-rated, and we would turn a good profit on him.

But other than them, I don't think we're in a position to do a lot of selling this year without seriously compromising our team. And sadly, given our financial situation, that also means we're not in any position to do a lot of buying either. Plus ca change.
Craig Taylor
13   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:50:12

Baines would be top of my list to keep hold of.

At the prices quoted in the press i would sell Rodwell. He is far to overated. Is not going to be a centre back for us anytime soon. Only passes side ways in midfield.

Also think that if a decent bid were to come in for Arteta, that he could be replaced based on his performances last season.
Matthew Tait
14   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:52:17

Oh, but to actually answer your question Anthony ? I agree that Baines is currently our most important asset, partly becuase we have him on a long-term contract. If Fellani was on the same length contract, I would have them as equally important.
Patrick Bateman
15   Posted 18/07/2011 at 16:57:47

If the list of names you can choose to have on the back of your shirt is anything to by, then it will be Yobo, the Yak and Rodwell who are to be sold as their names are missing from the available choices when you order a kit online. Obviously not a definite confirmation by any means, and probably just another blunder from the marketing department, but it does seem a strange coincidence.

I would fight to keep all the players you mentioned and get rid of the likes of Bily, Yobo and Anichebe.
Grant Smith
16   Posted 18/07/2011 at 17:08:35

Our top players I class as Fellani, Arteta, Rodwell, & Baines. They are the only four that would command a decent double-figure fee... and for me Arteta and Rowell would be the two to sacrifice. Arteta has flattered to decieve for the majority of the last 2 seasons and Rodwell has yet to have any significant lasting impression within the first team.
Chris Bannantyne
17   Posted 18/07/2011 at 17:03:48

I would sell Jagielka. Wow, I found it hard to even write that sentence. Based on his injury rate/performances of late I can see how it might make sense to sell Arteta also, but I just couldn't do it... I guess that's the reason why I am not the manager hey?

...well, ONE of the reasons anyway.

I would sell Anichebe just to get his wages off our books, and yeah, Yak and Yobo. I would run Bily behind the striker for a length of time before I would consider selling him, but the manager isn't likely to do that, so maybe that's another player that would "make sense" to sell. A wasted opportunity though.

What about the glass man Saha? I don't know what kind of fee he would command, but does it make sense to keep a player that breaks down more often than an Alpha Romeo?
Tony Cheek
18   Posted 18/07/2011 at 17:14:51

If we had to sell, then Rodwell is the one for me. I actually feel he has stagnated as a player and cannot see him developing under Moyes,
Dont get me wrong, I feel there is a great player in there somewhere, But if the lad is going to develop then he has to move on. We should sell him while he is hot.
I remember him carrying our midfield under the injury crisis as a 19 year old a couple of seasons ago, but since then he just hasnt cut it, He still thinks sidewards and backwards first.
Just look how the other Jack at Arsenal has grown as a player, then maybe you can see what I mean.
What amazes me is how anyone thinks he could be a great centre half....where did that come from?
Chris Bannantyne
19   Posted 18/07/2011 at 17:19:22

Oh, unrelated, but I see some papers are linking us with trying to get Bendtner on loan. Oh man... Really - Bendtner??? I would rather some unknown I have never heard of than that lump.

Can you imagine if Moyes suddenly decided to drop his beloved 4-5-1, and adopt a 4-4-2 formation, only to have it headed by the formidable strikeforce of Bendtner and Anichebe?? ...bloody hell

I tell ya, if Elstone is right and the groups of unsettled fans calling for BKs head are a minority, then they will soon be a very loud majority if this happens.
Chris Kearns
20   Posted 18/07/2011 at 18:37:43

If it came to it i would sell rodwell because he is the player that people keep quoting rediculous sums of money for and hes not even that good.

Those of you wanting to keep him i ask you why? What does he actually do?

Those of you wanting to move him to centre half I ask double why?....can he tackle? If so why doesnt he? Can he head the ball? If so why doesnt he?

Over rated, over rated, over rated!!....ship him out and buy some real talent.
Mick MacManus
21   Posted 18/07/2011 at 19:00:32

Keep Felliani, sell Jags and replace with a ball playing centre-half.
Dean Adams
22   Posted 18/07/2011 at 19:10:04

Jags.

The Arse have been sniffing around for a while and we play better when he is out of the team. Even though I like him he is part of the England set up and that always spells trouble.
Dean Adams
23   Posted 18/07/2011 at 19:12:28

I meant to say keep Bainsey.
Joe McMahon
24   Posted 18/07/2011 at 19:28:02

My choice would be let Jags, Rodwell and Arteta go. Arteta isn't worth £75k a week and wastes corners etc, and I'm sick of seeing Jaqs belt it upfield, I'd rather see JH as CB.

We will also have Yobo as cover for CB. And Rodwell, I just don't know what all the hype was about, future England Captain? Isn't that the other Jack.

Adam Luszniak
25   Posted 18/07/2011 at 19:37:41

Keep Baines we haven't a hope in hell of finding cover in his position anywhere near as good. Sell Rodwell if we really could get £20m for him like the papers report it would be deal of the century.
Jamie Tulacz
26   Posted 18/07/2011 at 19:42:26

Get rid of Yobo, Yak and Bily and let's see where we're at after that. If we need to get rid of anyone else to bring more in after that, would say that Rodwell is the best bet at the moment, as doesn't appear to be progressing much over the last couple of years and will probably get most money compared to his worth to us.

Debate about why we've got no money to spend coming up on Radio 5 after 8.00. Interested to see what they'll say..
Tom Owen
27   Posted 18/07/2011 at 19:56:41

Heard at the weekend from a redshite mate that Baines was at Anfield and we are meant to be taking £9 million and N'Gog for him; apparently it's been on their website. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or is it another media fabrication?
Jamie Tulacz
28   Posted 18/07/2011 at 19:57:51

Answering the question, would agree keep Baines at all costs, and try v.hard to get Fellaini to sign a new contract
Anthony Jaras
29   Posted 18/07/2011 at 20:20:50

Tom #21

More like Redshite fabrication. It's NOT been on their website. Maybe a Redshite forum but not their website.
Michael Mcloughlin
30   Posted 18/07/2011 at 20:42:19

I wouldn't sell anyone. Go into the new season as we are and bring in the kids. We know Moyes, although unattractive football its effective. He could turn these young guns into soemthing special. Fergie did it and so can Moyes.
Andy Callan
31   Posted 18/07/2011 at 21:18:38

Sell Jags, Fellaini, Rodwell and the ground.

I'll drive Fellaini to Stamford Bridge me-fuckin-self to make sure he gets there......
Jimmy Sorheim
32   Posted 18/07/2011 at 21:54:05

I am a long-time fan and I have never seen so many people moaning on and on about the board and the financial situation. I admit I was fed up during mid-season with Moyes and his team picking, but now is the time to look forward, not back.

There has to be a line for supporters not to cross and I think the club and its players are getting even more demoralised by all this negative money talk. My advice: you do the best with what you have got and get on with things.

I don't want our club to be over-focused about money. I feel confident that Moyes will deal with this by selling expensive and buying cheap, after all that is his job.

This is more of a reminder then a reprimand: we need to back our players fully, only then will we get back into Europe. Support is crucial, it is what keeps them motivated when all else fails!

I think Felli should be sold if he does not renew his contract soon. Simple as that; he is not bigger than our club ? far from it... our club will spur on. Think positive and keep the strong faith!!! Summer greetings to all Evertonians. :-)

Paul Olsen
33   Posted 18/07/2011 at 21:58:21

If they actually would want to stay I would choose Fellaini and Rodwell.

Fellaini, because of his enormous potential, both cult and ability!

Rodwell, product of Everton and still the chance to turn into something great.

Sadly, I see both leaving soon.
Brian Waring
34   Posted 18/07/2011 at 22:03:05

Jimmy (#32) ? it's hard to look forward, because there is nothing to look forward to.
Mark Stone
35   Posted 18/07/2011 at 22:05:55

I don't really understand the point of selling to buy. For me, I agree with Moyes's commitment to keeping his best players and investing in youth. The problem is, Everton (and the other 14 teams) are not two or three players away from a top four finish. We're not £20M or £30M away from becoming a top four team. We are £100M - £200M away from being a top 4 team (maybe even more).

Look at Liverpool ? finished 6th last year and how much have they splashed out since? If they do finish in the top 4 next season (which despite their excuberant spending, I don't forsee happening) it will be at the expense of another huge spending club. Basically, the only way to 'crack it' is by spending HUGE. Everton can't afford to do that Taking a risk isn't 'taking a risk' anymore ? that ship has sailed for everyone. It's suicide now. Unless you have a bottomless pit, you're are stuck between 7th & 20th.

This might sound unambitious ? it's not. I want Everton to have success as much as the next person. However, I also want to see Everton competing at the top level for the foreseeable future and with our current squad we are 'the best of the rest'. I believe that, in the absence of investment, the best way to achieve this is for Everton to keep on doing what they are doing.

How these new Fifa or Uefa rules will affect clubs, I have no idea. Man City are spending 110% of their turnover on wages, apparently, and Spurs and Chelsea have consistently spent more than they have coming in for the last 7 or 8 years. That obviously can't continue when these new rules are in place.

This summer, nobody seems to be building. Anyone who has bought anyone is just replacing, so far (excluding Liverpool and Man City). I actually think everyone is skint.

Mark Stone
36   Posted 18/07/2011 at 22:32:14

Erik ... Jags ageing?

He is a 28-year-old centre-half! Jesus wept.
Ian Smitham
37   Posted 18/07/2011 at 23:51:30

Antony, Thanks for creating a sensible debate.

I wrote on here months ago a comment that if we have to sell in order to buy then there is plenty of scope. I also commented that if that is the case then it should be made public so that we all know where we stand and reality sets in.

My belief is that the midfield is the key, and in the Premier League, right or wrong, power is what it is all about. We could have the biggest strongest and maybe even youngest centre-mid combination in the Prem, so my vote is keep Jack and Fella at all costs.

Some sales that I believe will happen, are Yobo (sadly) and Yak, but at the levels of prices being seen then, with sadness, I would see Jags go (£15m plus), Mikky who will not get quicker or fitter at his age, Bily as it sadly has just not worked, and the obvious one, Anichebe, keeping Johnny if Jags does go. And, now Citteh have a left back, keep Baines as, unless stupid money is offered, he is a player we can build around.

We appear to have no money, but I am of the opinion that a bit of reshaping could make our squad better and who knows where we can end up?
John Ford
38   Posted 19/07/2011 at 00:22:44

Regrettably I would sell Fellaini. Partly because he would get the highest price, but mainly as there's no way he's going to stay unless we show we can challenge with the best. He is potentially a hugely influential player and a massive asset to us, so it would be great to think he'd want to stay, but his dad's mutterings suggest he's already keen to move on.
James Flynn
39   Posted 19/07/2011 at 03:40:00

If we're up shit creek without a paddle, and we are money-wise, keep everyone and let's see what happens this season. We do have good players.

The "Sell to Buy" ship has set sail. Under current ownership, that's done in terms of improving the team. Who could we afford to bring in at current wages?

We have good players and they're as well-aware of EFC's situation as us on the outside looking in. We have one of the top managers.

Sell no one. What's the point? We come out of the gate fast, we know our team keeps improving as the season go alongs. Getting out the gate fast is the key.

Stand fast, I say.
James Flynn
40   Posted 19/07/2011 at 03:56:26

Matthew (12) ? "I don't think any of our top players are saleable assets. Our squad is too thin ? if we start selling what little genuine quality we have, we're screwed."

Well said... and we are screwed if EFC sells off our best players; the money from which will go towards debt or pocket; not Moyes improving the team. We have what we have and they're pretty good. As is Moyes.

Let's keep them all and see what happens this season.
Mike Green
41   Posted 19/07/2011 at 07:31:20

Keep Fellaini.
Karl Meighan
42   Posted 19/07/2011 at 07:34:38

David@1 You haven't seen Arteta do what Felliani has done? Well, I'm getting a bit sick of fans on this site having memories of RS fans regarding Arteta. He was average last season and dissapointed but let's not forget the 4 or 5 amazing seasons he has given us, not 20 good games which is about all Felliani has given us since he arrived.

Felliani has been unlucky with injuries and was putting in some good shifts but has he even justified the ĀĀ?15M paid for him never mind the £25M now talked about? Arteta on the other hand has paid back the £2.5M paid about 20 times over and if he never has another decent game has been a genuine Everton great that I for one have been privileged to watch and there hasn't been many of them in Moyes time.

Regarding who would I like us to keep, in all honesty, I feel Baines and Jagielka would be the most missed but after them two, I don't really see anyone who couldn't be replaced. The good thing is we have a core of good solid players who with some pace added could become a good quality team that could challenge.

Sam Hoare
43   Posted 19/07/2011 at 08:52:37

IMO:

Fellaini ? Potentially our best player. And young. But if he doesn't sign then sell.

Baines ? Our best player. Unreplaceable.

Arteta ? A dwindling force? Hopefully not. Sellable at the right price.

Jags ? For me the lynchpin of our defense. Don't sell.

Rodwell ? Possibly the biggest money we could get for someone whose departure wouldn't massively upset the first team. Therefore the most sellable.

Yak/Yobo ? Waiting for the bus out.

Heitinga, Anichebe, Bily ? last chance saloon.
Rahman Talib
44   Posted 19/07/2011 at 09:02:44

we dont have to sell anyone. we just use the youngsters i.e. guaye, baxter, forshaw, mceleny, Nsiala etc

One of them is bound to be a star.
Gavin Ramejkis
45   Posted 19/07/2011 at 10:07:40

Players that wouldn't be missed but equally not really wanted anywhere:? Anichebe, Bily and Heitinga. Trouble is most chance of earning money we can't afford to replace ? Baines ? and if we did sell, I'd say no chance would Moyes get anywhere near what we got for him for a replacement, as the BK black hole of debt would swallow most, if not all of it ? the new Everton Way thanks to Kenwright.
Ernie Baywood
46   Posted 19/07/2011 at 10:52:27

So this mob had it right...
Ryan Rosenberg
47   Posted 19/07/2011 at 11:19:45

The only two players we need to keep are Baines & Fellaini. They are irreplaceable, because I doubt someone with their qualities would want to come to us anyway. Sell Jack, give Fellaini his money, and lets get a winger!
Martin Handley
48   Posted 19/07/2011 at 12:15:48

IMHO, Definite must-keeps are: Howard, Baines, Fellaini, Coleman, Jags, Distin, Gueye, Ossie, Becks;

Either or: Cahill, Arteta, Bily, Saha, Neville;
Definate bin them: Rodwell, Heitinga, Yobo, Yak, Anichebe.

Hopefully the outgoing players may raise a few bob.

Bob Skelton
49   Posted 19/07/2011 at 13:04:27

The players who would raise some hard-earned cash for the club, and who people might want, are:

Fellaini ? quickly before he becomes another Pienaar.

Jags ? because somebody wants him

Rodwell ? hes young and we could con somebody out of a few quid

Bily, Yak, Heitinga are all good candidates for sale but wouldn't raise much

Wouldn't go on players though... just keep servicing our debt so that Blue Bill will carry on for another year.
Michael Kenrick
50   Posted 19/07/2011 at 16:11:10

Could we just have some "truth in lending" injected here please.

The cost of servicing Everton's debt was £4.5M in 2009-10 (the last season we mere mortals are privy to). That is "only" 5% of turnover. No-one here knows how much of that is covered by normal business activity and how much must be covered by player sales but, in the worst case, I would imagine that income player sales exceeding the that sum annually would in all likelihood be made available to David Moyes. I think the past record appears to support that.
Jason Lam
51   Posted 20/07/2011 at 02:59:18

Selling Jags would be suicide. We don't play anywhere like Barcelona (or possession football for that matter).

Jags is there to clean up whenever we fuck up in front of him.

I would not sell any of our best players unless Moyes already has a younger and better replacement earmarked. So don't sell Moyes!