Season 2011-12

Le Coq Sportif - What next?

18 Comments: First  |  Last

I thought I'd write about something other than the absence of fresh signings or new "investment" in EFC.

I wrote an article last year regarding the history of Le Coq Sportif (LCS) and its links to Everton in the 1980s and present day.

Our current deal with LCS commenced in 2009 for "up to 5 years" so it's unclear when it will end. At the same time, Kitbag were announced as our retail partner.

I do feel that this year's home kit offering (the third so far) is the strongest yet by LCS ? it is just ironic that we ditched Umbro as they launched their excellent range of "tailored" kits.

To recap on my previous article: LCS in the 1980s was a semi-independent branch of Adidas. Nowadays, LCS are a signficiant French sport/leisure company but LCS-branded products in the UK are licensed/supplied by Focus Brands Ltd..

Interestingly, Focus were invested in to the tune of 49% by JD Sports group in 2007 and now they share the same company address (in Bury, Lancs). It does make you wonder why Everton products are not stocked in JD Sports outlets in addition to Everton 1 & 2 and the website (presumably exclusivity with Kitbag?).

I did read in late 2010 that the "main" LCS are to bring the UK back under their control so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Personally, if we do change kit supplier again, I would be comfortable with Umbro or Adidas. But if you want to do something completely different, how about becoming the first football club to have a tie up with Fred Perry? This would create a real fashion-sport crossover (not just in the UK but in the likes of Japan) with financial benefits.

Rob Sawyer, Cheshire     Posted 20/07/2011 at 23:52:00

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Alex Kociuba
1   Posted 21/07/2011 at 03:00:54

Aside from the fact Everton are useless in a corporate way, the brand ideally suited would be Asics/Onitsuka Tiger as they don't currently make football shirts but do make boots. The brand is particularly trendy in Japan/Asia. (I think there's a shop in Liverpool too?).
Jason Lam
2   Posted 21/07/2011 at 03:36:09

Ditto Asics/Onitsuka Tiger. It's a lifestyle brand in Japan and bloody expensive.

I would be comfortable with Umbro or Adidas - literally. The LCS are fucking itchy! Our last Umbro had 10% cotton and were much more comfortable. LCQ is 100% plastics.

I spend half scratching my back playing in the LCS, and do you know how hot it gets having to wear a cotton vest under that shirt!

Russell Buckley
3   Posted 21/07/2011 at 03:47:00

I've worn both LCS and Umbro kits in recent years. Not a huge fan of LCS work so far.

I'll give them some credit, I like this seasons home kit. As for the away the colours a good but it looks like a bloody normal T shirt not a football jersey.

Agree having some cotton in the kit makes it better but on the same foot I've played footy and run marathons in Everton's LCS gear and it hasn't given me a problem.

Paul Gladwell
4   Posted 21/07/2011 at 06:49:56

The last three kits, the new home one and amber one plus the vanilla one have been as good as anything we have ever had, take a look at some of the shite Umbro where making us wear in the past.

As for the cross over to fashion wear, I don't think you can ask for more than the Taccini retro stuff but sadly this should be available in all sports shops and if you had these in the Wirral, North Wales etc you would sell a good load to the armchair blues who cannot be arsed travelling to the two club shops.

Eric Myles
5   Posted 21/07/2011 at 07:14:03

Paul, I doubt it's Umbro or any other manufacturer 'making' you wear a shirt. Someone at the Club must sanction the chosen design from a variety of options put to them.

It's probably all Kenwrights fault.
Graham Holliday
6   Posted 21/07/2011 at 08:10:41

Agree that this years shirts (keeper aside!)...along with the vanilla offering, have been some of the nicest in recent times, but one question: what is with the embroidered badge?

Surely it must annoy the players... I play amateur football and the whole club agreed that iron badges are preferable in terms of comfort and overall weight of shirt.

Surely this must annoy the players? I suppose their input is overshadowed by those of the marketing department...
Paul Gladwell
7   Posted 21/07/2011 at 09:16:26

Eric, the Pink one was certainly the board's fault, but the general designs of most company kits are the same for all the teams who use the same kit manufacturer and, Nike aside, I actually think LCS are far better looking than the shite Adidas and Puma knock out.
Nelly Verdonghan
8   Posted 21/07/2011 at 12:30:22

Just can't understand why we have to wear BLUE socks....to me it JUST NOT Everton

Blue shirts White Shorts & WHITE socks...that's the Everton I know and love...that's what sets us apart from the Ipswich Town's, Cheterfield's, Oldhams,of this world

Get back to WHITE socks asap
Tony X Williams
9   Posted 21/07/2011 at 13:10:34

Sorry Nelly but I will have to sock it to yer !
We should be Blue socks and Blue shorts.
I dont like the white socks at all...as the song says 'Blue is the colour'
Noel Lynam
10   Posted 21/07/2011 at 13:14:10

Does it really matter who designs our kit?

Do any of you wear our jersey to make a fashion statement or because you like how it looks?

Similarly, do you look at another team's jersey and think "That would go well with my new trackie. I'll buy it"

I'm not trying to be too flippant, just genuinely curious.
Trevor Mackie
11   Posted 21/07/2011 at 13:47:39

tony x

You do know you've just joined the chelsea set?
Steve Pugh
12   Posted 21/07/2011 at 15:38:55

I know pictures of Dixie are all black and white but he is always wearing dark socks, ie blue. Although the shorts have to be white, sorry Tony.
Will Leaf
13   Posted 21/07/2011 at 15:27:57

The white sock issue crops up every so often. Since 1895, the first year of blue tops/white shorts, roughly 90 of those 117 years we had blue or black socks. The white socks first appeared in 1957, lean times for The Blues.

The white socks probably became cemented in our imagination due to the iconic photos of Alan Ball in the late '60s, combined with that successful era. Also 3 of our last 4 Championships came in white.

Who knows, perhaps the vintage of fan that witnessed W R Dean gracing Goodison were appalled by the first appearance of the white socks!

(http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Everton/Everton.htm)
Nathan Ward
14   Posted 21/07/2011 at 16:18:22

Personally think we have missed a massive trick with having LCS and the exclusive deal with kitbag.

According to our CEO we are only tied into LCS for one more year. Hopefully they will be replaced with another brand that is more suited to the leisure market.
Ian Lund
15   Posted 21/07/2011 at 19:34:10

Paul, I have to take issue with you about the magenta away kit of last season - I think it's great! Definitely my favourite away shirt of recent years. But pleeeaaase what is that new goalie shirt about?? We're in the army now!!
Tony J Williams
16   Posted 21/07/2011 at 19:43:49

The last two home shirts, in my opinion, have been the best for a long while. The only other home shirt I liked as much was the first Keijan one, that year we had the brilliant black away one that sold out within a couple of weeks.

Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys whose label is on it, as long as it looks good. Some clothing snobs on here perhaps.

Maybe we should get LaCoste laaaaaaa!!
Paul Gladwell
17   Posted 21/07/2011 at 20:07:14

Ian, Magenta looks lovely on a nice looking well toned lady not 16stone 42 year old men with no hair. The money the clowns must have lost with that joke.

Robert Elstone: get your eyes on this billy love,

Billy bullshit: Fuck me give us two, surely those daft bastards who support us will love this one.

Moyes: (to himself) for fucksake when does my contract run out?

Mark Taylor
18   Posted 23/07/2011 at 13:26:10

As mentioned before on this site. We are signed up to Nike from next year.