Season 2011-12

No Business Idea

39 Comments: First  |  Last

12 days ago, I was going to go to the store to buy two infant kits, but I thought, why pay for parking, traffic etc, so I bought from the website.

How stupid was I? Still no goods, ring customer services and they say it can take 14 days to deliver... to Morecambe. Well, my business is e.commerce and I work with Amazon.co.uk: if this type of service was on offer, I would be out of business.

I can sell 2,000-plus items a day and they all leave first class post in the evening ? why can't our club do the same? Does nobody in the ivory (blue) towers care or watch over the day-to-day operations?

So much must go missing... but we all know that anyway. Rant over.

Mike Hargreaves, Morecambe     Posted 22/07/2011 at 12:06:31

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Peter Bradshaw
1   Posted 22/07/2011 at 14:45:40

Mike we have a chairman who couldnt find his arse hole with two hands, what do you expect?
Al Reddish
2   Posted 22/07/2011 at 15:12:32

I posted the following on another thread, but it seems apt for this one too:
They sure don't get the customer thing right. My son sent off for the new home kit and paid £6 extra to have it delivered on the day of release............he is still waiting!!!!
He did however get a phone call from Everton apologising for the delay, explaining they can't get their printing machine to work!
Gavin Ramejkis
3   Posted 22/07/2011 at 15:20:09

Al he should get the £6 back as they have failed with their offer to deliver to a set date, I'd expect a written apology to accompany that reimbursement.

The club has gone beyond a joke in all failing avenues, merchandising is just another in the growing line.
Martin Handley
4   Posted 22/07/2011 at 15:30:00

I have been saying this for years! The most blatent example is at John Lennon Airport where, as soon as people arrive to fly from or into Liverpool, they are greeted by a massive redshite advert! But can anything Everton be seen? Don't be bloody stupid!

We can't even be bothered to advertise ourselves in our home town. I bet there is a major city worldwide where you can't by a redshite top, but as for Everton... it's who? I mean, Kitbag can't even be arsed to advertised the new home shirt! They still have the Tim Cahill poster from last season! Why? Because they have exclusive rights to the kit! FFS ? no wonder we're not a global brand!

We have two of Africas most famous players Yak and Yobo but you will have more chance of spotting a Leeds top in Africa than ours, the same in the States, Australia, Holland and Russia... Why? Because we have an exclusivity contract with Kitbag!

The whole commercial departmant needs binning from top to bottom. The thing that hurts most is that I now live on the Wirral since retiring from the forces and I see young lads wearing Shitteh tops rather than ours because they're easier to get hold of in the shops locally, rather than trekking to Liverpool for ours ? how bad is that?!

Kunal Desai
5   Posted 22/07/2011 at 17:06:08

Cannot think of area the club have got right. It's a Mickey Mouse operation. No wait. That's doing Mickey Mouse a disservice.
Oliver Molloy
6   Posted 22/07/2011 at 17:08:16

Hey Mike,
2000 + items a day on Amazon?,that;s some sales my friend.Fancy buying BK out?
Andy Codling
7   Posted 22/07/2011 at 17:11:01

I tried to buy an Everton pennant to send as a gift to an Evertonian abroad, this was early June. So I looked on the website and there are no Pennants advertised, I left it at that and have just tried again today to find no Pennant again.

I have just spoke to a member of the Everton Direct team who told me this is because the club currently have no stock and they do not know when they will be getting any in... What kind of a fucking football club has no stock in of Pennants or flags or other souveniers?

From top to bottom, this club is a fucking shambles. I have since gone onto soccerbox.com and purchased one with no problem, no wonder this club is fucking skint.

David Holroyd
8   Posted 22/07/2011 at 17:44:26

This club is dying on its feet due to Kenwright and his rubbish board.
Trevor Mackie
9   Posted 22/07/2011 at 18:12:49

Seriously damning story as are the additional anecdotes.

Such regular examples of a lack of professionalism explains the Park End caper, Goslings departure and the whole litany of incompetence. Simply rudderless operation.
Andy Crooks
10   Posted 22/07/2011 at 18:10:36

How about a board with no more money than Kenwright but which will run the club in a proper manner? A board which will communicate with supporters. A board that will be truthful and transparent. A chairman who will not see the club as a toy to feed his ego. A chairman whose every luvvy utterance does not make one feel like vomiting.

We have no money and an utterly incompetent regime. No money and some people who know what they are doing would be fine by me.

What can be done? Well, I only go to three or four games a season now. It used to be more. It costs £300 a time and I have decided I will not go again while Kenwright destroys the club.

Also, is there any way that someone who knows nothing about facebook can support Evertonians who want change?

Don Kiddick
11   Posted 22/07/2011 at 19:21:46

It's a fucking joke....why oh why was I born a blue? Is there anything we can get right....anything?
Robin Cannon
12   Posted 22/07/2011 at 19:24:27

Andy - great comment.

That's exactly what I want to see. I don't really care about having a rich benefactor. In fact I absolutely don't want some Arab billionaire; we're Everton, not some rich guy's plaything.

The problem isn't that Kenwright doesn't have any money himself. The problem is that the current administration isn't doing anything that will help the club generate money itself.

I just want us to be competently run.
Colin Ryan
13   Posted 22/07/2011 at 20:23:28

I've said it numerous times but the fact that I can't buy an Everton jersey in Ireland for ?50 in a local sports shop when every fan of every other team can is a disgrace.

But no ? Everton make me pay ?80 for a jersey that I can't try on before I buy... and then have to wait anything from a week to a month for it to arrive. A fucking shambles is what it is.

Kitbag my ass. Where is the logic? I would have at least bought one maybe two of the new jerseys by now if they were on sale over here ? and I'm sure numerous other Irish Evertonions are the same.

Alan McMillan
14   Posted 22/07/2011 at 20:44:23

I, like every other toffee outside of the UK, have to put up with this shit every year since the Kitbag deal. The result? No free exposure in any retail outlets. Won't be bothering this year.
Alan McMillan
15   Posted 22/07/2011 at 20:44:23

I, like every other toffee outside of the UK, have to put up with this shit every year since the kit bag deal. The result? No free exposure in any retail outlets. Won't be bothering this year.
Alan McMillan
16   Posted 22/07/2011 at 20:44:23

Don Kiddick
17   Posted 22/07/2011 at 20:55:53

Alan #16....we grasp what you said first time
Martin Handley
18   Posted 22/07/2011 at 22:02:19

Nothing wrong with my Nokia steam-powered special!
Steve Pugh
19   Posted 23/07/2011 at 00:31:51

Martin, I think your 'd' key might be broken!!!

On another note, get Kenwright to give Leahy his shares in the club. He'd soon get us turning a profit on the business side of things.

And finally, Man City, Man U and Liverpool all have a garden at the Flower Show, do we?

hmm let me think....
Spragg Johnson
20   Posted 23/07/2011 at 03:02:02

Tried to buy a long sleeve 3rd (vanilla) shirt ... But none available on website ... Hopeless ? and they wonder why people get the knock-off stuff from Asia?
Eric Myles
21   Posted 23/07/2011 at 09:30:50

Andy #7, lack of stock may be down to something I read about on these pages.

Everton have no credit with supppliers any more and are operating on a cash only basis.

So what they can't buy they can't sell.

I've worked for 2 companies previously that were forced to work on a cash only basis, neither of them are still in business.
Mike Green
22   Posted 23/07/2011 at 09:42:25

Bang on Mike. The club are at least doubling the cost of postage too - which is their prerogative, but it tells a story doesn't it?
Mike Green
23   Posted 23/07/2011 at 09:42:25

Karl Meighan
24   Posted 23/07/2011 at 11:22:09

Lets face it if you wanted next day or even fairly quick service from the clowns running the club they would probably charge a extra £10 for it. The jokers have failed to get season tickets out on time at times with people having to queue up at the first home game of the season.When asked why the tickets had not arrived they claimed a postal strike? when there had not been one.

The £10 saving that was made when buying online was also kicked into touch, that was if you were lucky enough to be able to log in which was another fiasco. The big thing here is that the kids who were getting the kits could quite easily be very dissapointed and decide its easier to have the strip of a rival club and give them there future support.

Young kids are the future of the club so surely they should do everything possible to keep there interest and draw them in instead of counting on keeping it in the family.
Iain Love
25   Posted 23/07/2011 at 13:11:57

I'm not a kit wearer but i like wearing stuff with the badge on it, most of the time it's shit gear but i saw a bloke the other day at the petrol station with a navy blue polo shirt with pink trim and our crest. I asked him where he got it from and he said online.
Guess what ?
I posted last season after trying to get the pink ladies shirt for the Missess
Guess what ?
We're skint , Kenrights skint , the boards fucking loaded but wont lay out. Yet we fuck up everytime on different revenue streams.
Wouldn't mind but 2 of the best retailers in the country are big blues. FFS.
Declan Brown
26   Posted 23/07/2011 at 13:43:26

The more I read about this stuff involving our club, the more it makes me genuinely and helplessly despair for the future of the club.

It's unreal, surreal at times, how bad can it get, how lower can we sink off and on the pitch?

It's almost like a Carry On film only the reality is much worse for us guys on the outside looking in with pure frustration. We see the problems and get exasperated by it all.

What we'd do to get the likes of a Terry Leahy onboard and run the business side of things, although no doubt if we went to pay him his wages, they'd be probably 6 or 7 months late.

As said above, the whole club it seems needs clearing out and starting from scratch again.
Anthony Millington
27   Posted 23/07/2011 at 15:50:29

It's abysmal marketing! Why do we have to go to the Everton shop to get the kit? Why can't we do what other teams do and get it from other sports shops! Instead I go down to my local DW sports or sports direct to see it littered with Chelsea and Man U shirts, but no Everton ones! That's one way to lose us fans and money in the future!
Tim Kells
28   Posted 23/07/2011 at 17:20:32

Hi Mike you have my sympathy. I have been in countless similar situations with the merchandising over the last few years. The worst one was last Christmas when I ordered a new kit for each of my three boys, spending nearly £300. Unfortunately it wasn't dispatched due to them running out of the No.1 to put on one of the shirts! Luckily, I still managed to get the order in time through complaining massively.

Incidentally, I've just been over to Thailand. I'm not really understanding our tie up with Chang. Chelsea have a similar deal with Singa and there is a massive poster of the team as you leave the airport. Needless to say, our beloved blues are nowhere to be seen despite countless Chang posters everywhere.
Alex Buckley
29   Posted 23/07/2011 at 17:57:06

It takes the piss when they try & fool us with some made up award.

Its so annoying when we can't even get the simple things right, Kitbag deal sums up the boards impenitence.
Eric Myles
30   Posted 23/07/2011 at 18:19:52

Declan #26 "It's almost like a Carry On film"

I't's called "Carry on Kenwright" - director Richard Dodds
Simon Thorne
31   Posted 23/07/2011 at 23:14:41

I walked into the Everton shop today all prepared to buy the new kit. I found myself just stood there in the shop before sighing and walking out. "I'll buy one when we buy someone," I thought to myself.
Ernie Baywood
32   Posted 24/07/2011 at 11:18:55

Try buying an Everton top in Australia. You know, the emerging football nation who's best player is our talisman? The one we travelled halfway round the world to tour?

At least there's the website... oh yeah, fk all on that and can't buy a thing for the kids.
Brian Waring
33   Posted 24/07/2011 at 16:33:26

I may be wrong, but isen't the reason for not being able to get it in other sport shops, down to the deal we have with kitbag?
Andy Codling
34   Posted 24/07/2011 at 16:44:42

Yes Brian no high street store stock our merchandise, but it also seems Everton Direct don't stock our merchandise either. Another master stroke by Everton.
Brian Waring
35   Posted 24/07/2011 at 17:59:22

We negotiate some shite deals don't we.
Eugene Ruane
36   Posted 25/07/2011 at 09:05:39

For 'negotiation' see..

Them: "Look, with all due respect, you're not Barcableedinlona - plus we've got Fiorentina and IFK Gothenburg lined up if you DON'T want it, so - and please don't take this the wrong way - take it or fucking leave it".

Us: "Right.....so...erm......Where do we sign?"
Mark Murphy
37   Posted 25/07/2011 at 11:51:10

Ssorry to buck the trend but maybe I'm just lucky. I've never had a problem and last season I ordered the pink kit for one of my lads and stupidly didn't spot the USA box was ticked for my address. Later that month, when I checked the orders progress, I saw the kit had been despached 2 weeks ago so I rang up and told the CS people who sympathised and sent me a replacement kit to my correct address. I received this 2 days later (at no charge) but (again stupidly my fault) had ordered the wrong size. I phoned them again and they sent the correct size, no charge, which I received even before posting the wrong one back.

I then got the original USA despached kit which had found its way eventually back over the Atlantic. I could have kept it but phoned up again and arranged to send it back and was thanked profusely for my honesty!

Steve Sweeney
38   Posted 25/07/2011 at 13:53:37

So let me get this right: you ordered a kit but gave the wrong address, the club then sent out a replacement, which was the wrong size, again your fault, so they sent you another replacement again at no charge.

So let me get this straight: you paid for ONE KIT, but received THREE??!?! AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY THIS CLUB IS SKINT???

Mark Murphy
39   Posted 27/07/2011 at 12:42:40

Steve,
yep, thats right!
Service was great tho but!