Season 2011-12

If I could invest in Everton....

25 Comments: First  |  Last

I'm a bit of a dreamer, I imagine myself winning the lottery, as we all do, and thinking, what would I do with 161M...

This article is aimed at considering what I would do, if I had 50M to invest in Everton. A very modest sum given the wealth of the owners in the Premier League. This is simply how I would do it, and I imagine that an awful lot of fans would do things quite differently. But still, it's my imaginary fortune and so it's my choice.

Everton are valued at 100M by the board. No doubt they would not accept my 50M to purchase the club and, to be honest, I wouldn't want to purchase the club ? I'd just be inheriting the same mess without the power to fix it. In fact, I could possibly make the situation a whole lot worse!

So, I ring up Bill and say, "I have 50M. I'd quite like to invest in Everton. I am willing to put my 50M in, and I want the club to issue shares to the extent that my 50M would give me 40% of the total share value... ie, I value the club at 75M, and my investment would mean the club is worth 125M."

I think that'd be my assessment and I'm sure many would say that I'm probably over-/under-valuing the club and that, in any event, Bill wouldn't agree to it. You're all probably right.

Anyway, I decide to give BK some objectives before I wish to invest. "After all, it's 50m," I say.

Here's where I lose more people. I wish for the current board to stay, although I wish for the members of the board to change.

I would make David Moyes a Director as well as manager, with the rest of the board being: myself; Kenwright to remain as Chairman, although with only the same voting as the rest of us; Elstone; and then the academy manager... resulting in a five-man board: Chairman, Manager, Investor, Chief Executive and Academy Manager. I would ask that each member of the board updates the fans twice a month on their role and how things are progressing, perhaps via the programme on matchdays.

I would also ask that my 50M be invested in the following ways: I want 30M to go against the debt of the club and that the club will not in the next 10 years exceed debt of 20% of the value of the club, ie, It will never go above 25M. The remaining 20M is to be spent on player purchases for the manager. I would like him to choose them (a position Moyes seems to already enjoy ? being able to choose the players he buys).

I would state also, that our aims would be to reduce the debt to nil in the next 10 years. BK would remain as Chairman. I think also, my final thing would be to introduce somebody as a Consultant to sort out the Marketing at the club. Although we have improved somewhat over the past five years, we need to be so much better.

I realise that one big thing has not changed here: the ground. However, I'm investing 50M, not 400M. My idea would simply be to bring further stability to the club and perhaps make us a more attractive proposition to a future buyer.

It's my opinion that the current board probably do have this aim, as they say, but not the means to do it. Everton need a push, an extra few good players and a debt reduction. The idea being that we don't gamble on Champions League but we do actually try to get there.

I know many of you will have different views and probably slate some of my ideas but that's your opinion. I'd quite like to read some of your own views, given a similar budget and how you would lead the club forward.
Stuart Downey, London     Posted 24/07/2011 at 13:11:16

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Cathal Naughton
1   Posted 24/07/2011 at 19:29:00

It is a time for billions not millions...
Barry Johnson
2   Posted 24/07/2011 at 19:31:35

If I had 50 million I would avoid investing in any football club, let alone Everton. Money down the drain.

I'd buy myself a tropical island, no TV, no internet, no news rags. Just stop the world, I want to get off.

James Stewart
3   Posted 24/07/2011 at 20:09:37

@2 Hear, Hear!
Dennis Stevens
4   Posted 24/07/2011 at 20:12:08

My cash would go to securing the freehold of Goodison Park &, if affordable ? Finch Farm's as well ? then transfer the freehold(s) into the control of Trust Everton. In the long term the club would benefit from peppercorn rents & this limitation on their ability to build debt, & the supporters would have control over ground redevelopment or relocation in the future, regardless of who the Board may consist of.
Chris Matheson
5   Posted 24/07/2011 at 20:22:00

I would not put the manager on the Board. It seems pointless to me. The manager has to report to the Board and be rewarded or dismissed by them as required. As the most important employee of the club he should not be there. His focus and his responsibilities lie elsewhere.

Also, if at all possible, I would remove BK as chairman. I doubt that with 40% of shares you could remove him from the board but his credibility is so diminished, his track record so much one of failure, that he could not stay at the helm ? he is the prime reason we are in this mess.
Trevor Mackie
6   Posted 24/07/2011 at 21:08:42

It would be women, cars, holidays and the like for me.

Probably get advice after that - might waste the rest.
Ray Roche
7   Posted 24/07/2011 at 22:07:22

Trevor.

Nail.
Head.
Hit.
Spragg Johnson
8   Posted 24/07/2011 at 22:27:42

We need 200 million at least just to clear debts and fix up the lemon that is Goodison. Any player purchases will then come from sales. Expect Jagielka, Rodwell, Fellaini and Baines to all leave in the next 2 years for about 15 mill each ? by which time, Barkley will be worth 10 mill and shipped off too.

I suspect our lack of transfer activity is dictated by the banks who now refuse to top up our loans.. We are the Greek nation of the Premier League ? broke due to having no business sense over the past 20 years.

David Hallwood
9   Posted 24/07/2011 at 23:11:40

On a semi-serious note, if I had 50-100M, I wouldn't spend a penny of it on spoilt footballers or their pimps. Can you imagine the local Citizens Advice Bureau or the unemployment or community centre asking for 100k that will keep them afloat and keep a few people in a job, but instead you want to put the money into the club, and the first call is an agent who tells you that he wants 100k upfront for the privilege of speaking to ?his boy?.

No, sorry, football has lost its soul and the Dispatches expose should be required viewing for anyone even considering investing in this dirty business.

Rant over; nighty night.

David Crowe
10   Posted 24/07/2011 at 23:41:11

Trevor

Cars: Spot on. Holidays: Yep. Women: Hell no.
John Maxwell
11   Posted 25/07/2011 at 00:53:00

Isn't the whole point of investment to make more than you put in?

It's an interesting question to all the Kenwright haters....
Brendan O'Doherty
12   Posted 25/07/2011 at 01:54:01

New car... caviar... four-star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.
Eric Myles
13   Posted 25/07/2011 at 03:12:08

Paying off part of the debt would be a waste of money and would only 'save' a couple of million in interest payments per year.

It also gives the opportunity to go further into debt with having a new credit line.

Better to put the money into something that will generate that couple of million a year.

Extend a stand, buy GP... or even better, Finch Farm.
Jay Harris
14   Posted 25/07/2011 at 05:37:39

John#11,
so how much has Kenwright invested in the club and how much extra worth has he generated in his rime as Chairman?
Russell Buckley
15   Posted 25/07/2011 at 05:58:24

The aim of making a business investment is clearly to at least get your money back.

I think Stuart is looking at this like a fan though. I'm guessing he would be just as happy to see Everton lift a trophie as get back his $50 mill win.

If its for the long term good of the club screw the debt, screw players who at best will last the better part of a decade.

Put it into infrastructure (e.g. money towards a new stand or Finch Farm)
Richard Dodd
16   Posted 25/07/2011 at 08:14:57

I`d just buy the Freshey and ban all RSs!
Eugene Ruane
17   Posted 25/07/2011 at 08:55:50

You've got 161 million nicker but are only prepared to invest 50 million?

Mingebag!

Call yourself an Evertonian?

DOWNEY OUT!
Joe McMahon
18   Posted 25/07/2011 at 12:28:57

I'm with you, Trevor ? Fast cars and Dirty Women! I've always fancied trying Japanese, and I'm not talking about cars!
Tom Jones
19   Posted 25/07/2011 at 12:24:32

OK if we're still dreaming....

How about investing 20m of your winnings in the training of a few thousand out-of-work Everton fans how to build a stadium, 20m for materials and 10m to 'invest' in council-owned land (ie, Everton Park)? 5 years down the line you'd have a new stadium overlooking the city that was designed/built by the fans, and you've given a large part of your fortune back to the community, in both infrastructure, job creation and skills training...

Now you can safely to retire to your new Caribbean island...

Steve Guy
20   Posted 25/07/2011 at 12:58:29

You could have bought N'Zogbia who apparently is now Villa bound for 9.5M. Another one bites the dust. I'm also beginning to think Jags to the Arse might have legs, in which case we'll get the money in just too late to buy anyone worth having (like N'Zogbia). Only Everton and only Bill BS.
Peter Laing
21   Posted 25/07/2011 at 14:18:29

In the words of the immortal George Best "I blew my money on women, booze and fast cars, the rest I just wasted".
Chad Schofield
22   Posted 25/07/2011 at 16:14:33

Aside from the obvious "The board do not wish to dilute their current shareholding" response, followed perhaps by Bill's promise to make you his new Best Friend Forever if you lend him the money personally - just to pick up on one point; wouldn't making Moyes a Director make it hugely difficult to shift him on at some inevitable point?
Brian Waring
23   Posted 25/07/2011 at 17:40:45

I would kiss away 50m just to get BK to fuck-off!
Stuart Downey
24   Posted 25/07/2011 at 18:04:13

For clarity sake, I was assuming I had 50m spare and wishes to invest it. So assume I'd won 60m. Although it's great to hear how you would spend 50m I want to know how you would spend such a sum if you had decided to invest in everton.

Imagine you had enough money otherwise to live comfortably (say another 10m) for yourself. How would you spend it?
Andrew Gilbert
25   Posted 25/07/2011 at 18:46:31

I'm with Eugene on this one.

I was planning to spend around 150 mil, 10 mil is more than enough to have fun with. maybe 100mil to buy the club and remove all the board and then the rest to buy a few players.

Any players who did not want to fulfill their CONtracts would be relegated to the reserve boot washer position. This would piss them off and they would insult me and the club and refuse to play which means I could then fine them all their wages and laugh at them.

Agents would be banned and a product similar to Nippon would be used to flush them out and remove them.

Pardon?...oh my wife has just informed me that half of the lottery win is hers. Oh well.