Season 2011-12

Plenty to be excited about!

65 Comments: First  |  Last

After having read Paul's depressing ?nothing to get excited about? it had me thinking of the future, hoping there is something to get excited about.

I've been pondering life for Everton with nothing changing at board level but being able to hold onto players. For some reason, I believe our *Golden* age (about 5 years from now) might look a little like this:

? GK: Howard (37) ? still going strong;
? LB: Baines (31) ? years of excellence ahead of him as England's number 1 LB;
? LCH: Rodwell (25) ? I'm feeling he might slip back into defence, as Moyes stated;
? RCH: Jagielka (33) ? Everton Captain reaching the end of his career;
? RB: Coleman (28)? taken over his rightful position at RB with a bit of Daniel Alves in his game;
? LM: Gueye (26) ? The French international with a killer left boot;
? CDM: Fellaini (28) ? the highest earner in Everton history at his peak;
? CM: Barkley (22) ? box-to-box player an Everton regular at 22 ? breaking into the England side;
? RM: Baxter (24) ? technically good winger who scores goals;
? CAM: Bilyaletdinov (31) ? now playing in his rightful spot, scores 0loads of goals around the box;
? CF: Vellios (24) ? good at holding up play and contributes his fair share.

Subs:

? Dier (22) ? highly regarded youngster about to take over from Jags;
? Garbutt (23) ? pushing Baines for the LB position, slots in at LM on occasion;
? Lundstram (22) ? gets plenty of games with injuries and as a sub;
? Anichebe (28) ? now an elder statesman, Moyes?s go-to guy (mostly cos no one wanted him);
? Hammar (22) ? Swedish CB a talented reserve;
? ??? ? Some kid I remember reading about that would be only a teenager but was already watched by all the clubs but is an Everton fan?? Anybody remember his name??

I actually feel Rodwell moving back now makes sense. Although I still carry some hope he is our Gerrard (without being a cunt), it does allow for Fellaini and Barkley to play together. Looking at it is exciting if we can hold onto a few. There are question marks over Bily, but our esteemed editor is spot on in his player analysis of Bily that it is about being played in the right spot. Who knows if Baxter and Vellios will make it, although I still have hope for Baxter but know nothing about Vellios. I have no doubt over the long term potential of Rodwell and Barkley.

There is some serious talent in that side, and looking at the ages in 5 years makes me realize how much we expect from these kids now. The fact that people are willing to throw away Rodwell (a son of the club!) after one bad season when he is only 20 is shameful. At 18 he was peerless in his age group ? class is permanent. Some have fallen by the wayside. Of the team Paul watched ? only Baxter is in my starting 11.

We have got very exciting YOUNG players over in the USA. Plenty to be excited about.
David Chait, Port Elizabeth, RSA     Posted 25/07/2011 at 18:47:00

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 25/07/2011 at 21:48:28

That's fantastic, David. We won't need any new transfers for at least five more years!!!

Does this mean we can finally ditch the Rumour Mill!?!
Guy Hastings
2   Posted 25/07/2011 at 21:59:27

Not forgetting our talisman McFadden.
Gavin Ramejkis
3   Posted 25/07/2011 at 22:10:37

Shrooms and Columbian Nose Candy really bad idea mate
Ian McDowell
4   Posted 25/07/2011 at 22:29:37

hope he is our Gerrard (without being a cunt). Love it.
Martin Handley
5   Posted 25/07/2011 at 22:26:17

Please god no not Mcfadden back FFS have we sunk that low.
I was laughing my head off when we raped Brum for £5 million.
Lets be honest he isn't actually going to increase the skkilll level in the squad is he.
I think the lads name you're looking for is Mcalaney who'll be 21 in 5 years time and a 20 goal a season man!
Dick Fearon
6   Posted 25/07/2011 at 22:31:59

Hey David, for a minute there you had me going, a flash of optimism that dispelled the gloom. O' happy day!
Any second now we will be submerged under the you know who's all trying to destroy that tiny glimmer of hope what makes us what we are.
Sam Hoare
7   Posted 25/07/2011 at 22:35:45

Nice one david, much more my cup of tea. I think the kid you were talking about is Hallam Hope.

You also forgot to put P neville in the team, who will no doubt be going strong with his 'inspirational' press comments!

Its been said before but if there is one whisp of silver lining in this embarassingly quiet transfer window it is that some of the kids will get a go...happily we seem to have a strong batch coming through with Barkley leading the charge.

Having said that i keep hoping that somehow Bill will the find the cash for nzogbia...
James Flynn
8   Posted 25/07/2011 at 22:36:36

David - Great stuff and why not?

I say sell no one and see what happens. Current ownership is what it is. Bad. But Moyes has been bringing in talent and potential. Add to this, he's one of the few managers who matters.

This could be a break-out season for us. With the improving number of teams, the old "Sky 4" is gone. Very little has to change for EFC to finish in the Top 4.

Why not hold on to everyone and see what happens?

Anyway, great post.
Anthony Jaras
9   Posted 25/07/2011 at 23:07:41

Where's Becks??
Brendan O'Doherty
10   Posted 25/07/2011 at 23:13:55

You'd be well-advised to stay off the happy pills David....the comedown when the season starts can be terrible,.... apparently ; - )

Ian Tunstead
11   Posted 25/07/2011 at 23:35:18

No Martin i thought McAlaney was already 19? and Sam, Hallam Hope is a Man Utd fan, he must be talking about someone else.
Kunal Desai
12   Posted 25/07/2011 at 23:44:26

Is this a wind up from a kopite?
James Flynn
13   Posted 25/07/2011 at 23:38:17

More "shrooms and nose candy" and "happy pills" all around.

We're not some relegation team depressed/delighted with our position. We're the team just outside the big money.

The players know what we do better than us. This is the season they make the final move upward.
Sur Jo
14   Posted 25/07/2011 at 23:52:38

We sold Vaughan for £2M or £3M. Great kid, talented, but it was not just happening for him at Everton. So let us sign McFadden, put him on a contract, and may be next year sell him for £2M-£3M to a newly promoted side. I'm just saying...

I just want some transfer news for god's sake. My team has fallen so out of money. Why my team (the only one in the world) does not have money! I'm still waiting for some transfer news; something to cheer me up.

Lee Courtliff
15   Posted 26/07/2011 at 00:42:23

Superb article. It's about time we had some optimism.

Who cares if it's bollocks?? There is far too much negativity on here. If you want to change the board then get off your arses and start some sort of protest. Sitting at your laptop spouting your hatred for the Chairman ain't gonna change anything.

Actions louder than words etc.
David Hallwood
16   Posted 26/07/2011 at 00:48:53

Hey David, I tried some of that stuff, but I didn't inhale.
Ian Tunstead
17   Posted 26/07/2011 at 00:47:16

Oh Jimmy Mc, Jimmy, Oh Jimmy Mc, when are you comin back!

I would gladly take him back, had a lot of talent but never lived up to the expectation afer his 1st couple of games, but still a decent squad player. The fans liked to get on his back in the same way as a few of our other players.
Steve Moore
18   Posted 26/07/2011 at 02:14:52

I love it Dave, fair play to you. You are obviously a bit mad but what the hell I love it. We need more of it. It's funny, this time last year after Fergie said we where title contenders so many people where saying this was the best Everton team in years, David Moyes was the best manager in the league and Bill was a saint. What a difference a year makes.....We have exactly the same team the scum have spent millions on second class players and everyone on this site things we are in crisis. Cope yourselves on, have a bit of faith, In Moyes I trust(don't know about the rest of ye?), and when the league kicks off I'll be cheering on the boys in blue, just like every year.COYB
Matt Lavery
19   Posted 26/07/2011 at 08:08:32

Coleman looks to have a good future ahead of him. He stands out as the future "people's man" and I think he'll be around for the rest of his life, hooked on Everton.

Having watched the DC game I was impressed with Barkley. He did have a couple of heavy touches but he always wanted the ball and did play some delightful balls through, in particular the one for Bily's goal. Not safe like some would play at his age, but perfectly weighted and intelligently played.

Gueye looks to be getting better and better and took his goal well. I think he'll be playing a lot more this season and could be a class act for the future.

Rodwell I think will continue in central midfield. He looked very calm and composed against DC and I think he'll make a right good go of it this year without all the weight of expectation (and he had a huge weight of expectation on his shoulders last season).

I think Vellios has the potential and appears to be a really good lad to boot. He could be an excellent target man, a-la Crouch.

Anichebe, regardless of what some on here say, looked class the other night. It was so disappointing seeing him going off with a slight problem and I hope this doesn't happen this year. He played some blinders last year, particularly against Man City away. He also played a number of games out of position and still worked hard. I think this could be an excellent season for him if he keeps fit. I'll happily eat my hat but I have a really good feeling about it.

These are just a few and I think there will be others to come through the ranks in the next five years who will make a good show of it. Young lads like the Iraqi(?) player (who has been on tour with Everton Youth this summer) and Foreshaw, Dier, Duffy etc.

I think the future is bright and who said you can't win anything with kids!?!

COYBB!
Eugene Ruane
20   Posted 26/07/2011 at 09:07:51

Rolls eyes, tuts, shakes head.

I'll give it a week and we'll be pissing the league.

Dave Wilson
21   Posted 26/07/2011 at 09:13:57

fair play to you David.

The shrewed, hard nosed cynics, as they like to see themselves will always want to tell you what we wont do, but you`ll have noticed they dont have the courage to stick their necks out and say what we will do.

Dont listen to them, at least you`ll only be miserable when we lose

Nelly Verdonghan
22   Posted 26/07/2011 at 09:38:30

Hahahahahahaha...!!
Anthony Hughes
23   Posted 26/07/2011 at 09:51:10

I'll have a few quid on us for the Premiership Title in 2016 then.
Danny Broderick
24   Posted 26/07/2011 at 10:23:33

Bilyaletdinov at 31!! He's shit enough at 26 thank you.
Howard still in goal at 37!! Deary me...
Eugene Ruane
25   Posted 26/07/2011 at 10:42:10

David Wilson (21) - For 'shrewd hard nosed cynics' see realists.

And by the way, as you're handing out clumsy cultural stereotypes, I'm presuming you like to see yourself as skipping, grinning, jaunty, indomitable, glass three-quarters-full, romantic, 'Dave the live-wire optimist'?

You say accusingly "but you`ll have noticed they dont have the courage to stick their necks out and say what we will do".

Oooooh, touché Dave...er..except this isn't the only ever post to touch on this subject

My thoughts from article 'Our Bright Future' ? by Chris Bentham 28/06/2011.

Clear enough (even) for you?

(and it didn't take 'courage', just a tiny bit of grey matter).

One more thing.

Lee Courtliff (15) says - "Superb article. It's about time we had some optimism. Who cares if it's bollocks. There's far to much negativity on here".

Stupidest thing I've ever read on TW in a LONG time.

"Let's be positive!"

"Why?"

"Because...um....there's too much negativity!"

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus WEPT!

You know there are horses that can count by banging their hooves on the deck?

You should both be sweating.
Sam Hoare
26   Posted 26/07/2011 at 11:46:35

Eugene. Usual doom and gloom from you.

What might i ask is wrong with a little positivity? Would you prefer if all and sundry were as miserable as you? Or perhaps if everyone were miserable you would tell us we should be happy as it might appeal to your contrary nature....

As far as the future is concerned its all conjecture, i'd rather dream with a smile on my face than with a frown.
David Chait
27   Posted 26/07/2011 at 12:02:41

LOL..I really thought I was going to get shredded for this or just ignored... some great responses.. cheers guys..

Michael.. I do think we need some transfers... didn't you see I made Dier's loan permanent!!

The kid I'm talking about isn't Hope... the kis right now might not even be 10.. just remember reading an article couple years ago about this prodigious lad who still was too young to join an academy.

It is tough to be optimistic at this time.. we all know it.. last season for me was the most disappointed I have ever been as an investor.. sorry I mean fan ... do I hold hope for this season... I always will ... but almost sadly I'm looking 5 years down the line for real hope..

Interestingly for me unless Gueye and Vellios turn out to be the best kept secrets ever we will still be a LW and forward short of a truly CL side...typical Moyes still not sorting out the obvious!!
David Chait
28   Posted 26/07/2011 at 12:18:24

Sam.. I like that: "dream with a smile on my face" .. I might write that down.

Thing is.. more importantly than just dreaming.. I do believe in our kids... and I can't wait for them to achieve their potential at Everton.
Dave Wilson
29   Posted 26/07/2011 at 11:39:40

Eugene

You need to calm down and take a good hard look at what you have just posted

Its not a question of glass half full, skippy, jaunty, optimism.

its about giving yourself a chance. Its choosing not to share your fearful pessimistic outlook.

Its a refusal to listen when the can-win-dont-try crewe try to tell you that the infinitely achievable is impossible.

Its the certain knowledge that this board will not be here forever and that things can change overnight.

Its about being unwilling to dive into the sea of misery you believe we should all be swimming in.

A choice, a conscious decision not to be dragged down by the fear of being diasppointed or wrong.

I think we have a chance of winning a cup and qualifying for CL, I`m not saying we`ll do it but I kinda like believing that we have a chance.

You are the one who should be sweating, us hoof bangers will only be miserable and depressed if we have a shite season, you`re already there and it will only get worse if the unthinkable happens and we have a good season.

breaking News Eugene, you may be terrified of being wrong . . but nobady else really cares

Ciarán McGlone
30   Posted 26/07/2011 at 14:06:08

Dave,

Following on from the other post... If you want to make postings that lack any coherent analysis of our chances this season that are effectively the equivalent of dancing around a camp fire singing Kumba-ya with James Flynn... then feel free.

However, when you dress up this unbridled optimism as the objective and logically correct position that everyone should occupy ? then expect brickbats..

When you provide a decent analysis of why we have a 'realistic chance' of a Champions League spot this season, then perhaps a decent discussion could develop...
Eugene Ruane
31   Posted 26/07/2011 at 14:25:46

Dave 'whistler' Wilson (29). You tell ME - "take a good hard look at what you have written"?

Fucking HILARIOUS coming from someone who spells 'crew' as 'crewe', 'nobody' as 'nobady' and who wouldn't know an apostrophe if one bit you on the bell-end.

And please don't give it your usual whining 'mistyped' bollocks - fact is, YOU'RE the one who should be taking a good, long hard look before you post.

Seriously, just what DOES this (following) sentence mean?

"Its a refusal to listen when the can-win-dont-try crewe try to tell you that the infinitely achievable is impossible".

I've read it 3 or 4 times and still have NO fucking clue.

And (HURRAH!) there you go AGAIN Dave, speaking for the entire UK once more - "..but nobady else really cares".

Can't help yourself can you, always got to try and drag everyone along with your opinions (a seriously odd and quite revealing trait - that's six or seven times in just a couple of posts).

Dave, for the record (unlike you), I'm not in the least concerned who agrees with me or who doesn't.

By the way, Sam Hoare (26) you ask..

"What might i ask is wrong with a little positivity?"

Absolutely NOTHING at all Sam!.....IF there's something (anytfuckithing!) to be positive about.

In my opinion, there isn't.

However, here's a tip for you (both).

Instead of getting all happy-clappy and positive about what Everton could (nb: COULD!) be like in five (nb: FIVE!) years time, why not REALLY fill your boots?

Instead of imagining young players coming through to be decent first-team players and present first-team players (mysteriously) developing into really good players, why not simply pretend we get bought by a multi-billionaire?

One who absolutely fucking LOVES Everton and who buys 15 of the world's best players and turns us into the world's best club side?

Seriously, if you want to play 'what if?' why not just...go for it?

On a completely unrelated matter, before Margaret Thatcher came along, there used to be loads of institutions in Britain, full of people who laughed when there was nothing to laugh at, lived in a complete fantasy world and were nervous and frightened by reality.

Just thought I'd...mention it like.
Dave Wilson
32   Posted 26/07/2011 at 15:36:45

Eugene

Let me make one thing clear, I always check my posts, but I can't spell, so I don't always spot the errors. I didn't get any English qualifications ? I think you would have had to attend the classes to do that. If you read a post from me and the punctuation, grammar and spelling is in order it usually means Michael Kenrick has sorted it. I don't normally feel the need to mention it because I assume the people who can spell ? at least the half sharp ones ? will notice... and the ones who can't, won't care.

Just thought I`d clear that up as it may save you bursting a blood vessel blasting out all those camp hystionics on your key board.

Back to the footy, you`re still bottling it. You're more than happy to tell us what we won't do but you're still not daring to say what you think we will do. Nobody cares if you are wrong ? trust me.

Let's see who's right. The horses who tap the hooves and will only suffer misery when it's inflicted upon them, or the jack asses who go in search of it.

On a completely unrelated matter: Before Thatcher came along, there were thousands and thousands of negative people up and down this country, miserable depressants who moaned and bitched about everything and anything... within a year, they were soon looking back on the bad old days with a dewy eyed nostalgia...

Just saying, like.

Ciarán

If I get a chance this week I will put an article together saying why I believe we we have a realistic chance of qualifying You can batter away at it to your heart's content.

Brian Waring
33   Posted 26/07/2011 at 16:36:33

The thing is though Dave, we had all this optimism and excitement at the start of last season. It was deffo top 4, we could win the league, best squad ever, we would win a cup etc.

The reality was 14pts and a huge GD behind the 4th placed team, 26pts and another huge GD behind Man Utd, knocked out of the cup comps by Brentford and Reading, and the best squad ever after a couple of injuries, turned out not to be the best.

At the end of the day, you can hardly blame anyone for not being too optimistic, and getting overly excited about the coming season.
Matt Lavery
34   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:16:49

How dare ANY of you have the audacity to be optimistic and have a positive thought towards this coming season! How dare you?! How dare you... how... dare... you?

It is hilarious seeing how vehemently negative people are at times on this website and I am so pleased there are other optimists and positive supporters on this website other than myself.

Sure, there are some definite reasons to be pessimistic, however, there are also plenty of reasons to be optimistic, not least our ability to end seasons quite well to say the least. It's clear we have the ability, yet do we have the consistency? We have some world-class players (Fellaini, Baines, Arteta, Jagielka) and some potential with the youngsters (Coleman, Rodwell, Gueye).

But I must stress, HOW DARE YOU!?!?!?! be so optimistic?!

Right! Blood vessel burst and feeling pleasantly depressed with life as an Evertonian.

Not really, I feel I have mastered the art of positivity and optimism.
David Chait
35   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:43:24

I have avoided getting into any character debates here and generally find the mud-slinging interesting as I like hearing both sides of a story, but I don't understand total and complete negativity. I understand serious disappointment, because that is based on original hope. Without hope what is left? Really?

Well done, in 5 years time you can stand up and say I was right if the dreams are not achieved. Personally I would rather have hope than be right. No-one that has ever done anything worthwhile ever did it without belief. Even if no-one else believed the mere fact that they did meant it was possible.

Imagine if Moyes and the players had the negative mentality that so many fans have... we might as well start looking for the quickest route to Cardiff.

We have all endured disappointment and heartache. But the day I give up on the team is the day I throw my shirts away, take the scarf off my bar, the picture of Goodison off my wall and toss the pic I have standing in front of the statue of Dixie Dean!

Brian Waring
36   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:55:36

David, its down to Moyes and the players why some have this negative mentality.
James Stewart
37   Posted 26/07/2011 at 18:18:09

The scary thing about this piece is that it could quite easily be Kenwright's Blueprint for the next 5 years.
Lee Courtliff
38   Posted 26/07/2011 at 18:30:33

Eugene - If you think my post is the most stupid thing you have read on here in a LONG time then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

My opinion is that you are a miserable twat that seems outraged when somebody tries to lighten the mood. Who cares if this optimism is bollocks??

I don't. Simply because I am sick to death of people like you who seem obsessed with being negative.

As things stand, my team still has a chance at having a good season. Sorry about yours.

ps: I hope I didn't make too many spelling mistakes.
Dave Wilson
39   Posted 26/07/2011 at 18:47:19

Brian,

It's about opinions, I accept some people are naturally pessimistic, but why feel the need to try to ridicule a lad who wants to take an alternative view.

Instead of comments like: "Shrooms and Columbian nose candy"
"Stay off the happy pills"
"I didn't inhale"
"Is this a wind up from a kopite"
Roles eyes, tuts, shakes head, and
"Dancing around the camp fire singing Kumbya"

Why can't people just say that's bollocks? I think we will . . . .

You complain about people being optimistic last season, why? It's their choice. Why cant they be optimistic? Why does it offend the negative? And why can't those who don't agree stick their own necks out instead of making snide little digs?

The gap last season may have been wide, but if we beat Arsenal twice ? and we did deserve to ? we`d have finished 2 points behind them. If you think that gap is unbridgeable that's up to you ? but why should people who think it isn't be shouted down?

You`re right. The optimist were proved wrong last season, but they were nowhere nears as wrong as the doom merchants who were popping up all over the place to tell us we were going down.
Lee Courtliff
40   Posted 26/07/2011 at 20:16:07

Dave Wilson-39. Well said mate.
Dean Adams
41   Posted 26/07/2011 at 19:48:40

The best thing about this time of year is that we are above the Shite, Manure and the Spuds whilst being only just behind Chelsea and Arsenal. Better still is that two of the clubs above us, Bolton and Blackburn, will slide down the table as they do every year.

Oh I do love being an optimist. Some people on this site have no sense of irony and no idea what the rest of us take for granted. Some choose but most are chosen!!!

Brendan O'Doherty
42   Posted 26/07/2011 at 20:36:23

Dave #39, you appear to be suffering from a severe case of sense of humour deficiency.

When I advised David to "stay off the happy pills" it was a comment made in jest, as were some of the other comments you have listed. David himself has acknowledged this and taken them in the spirit they were meant to be taken.

And I'm one of the optimists from this time last season. Things are little bit different this time round for reasons you can't have failed to notice, but when the season starts my glass will be half-full again.

Lighten up a bit will ya!

Brian Waring
43   Posted 26/07/2011 at 20:51:25

It works both ways though, Dave. If anyone does post negative pieces, they're called miserable fuckers, etc.

I haven't got a problem with anyone being optimistic, that's their prerogative. For me, there have been too many false dawns at our club for me to be optimistic.
Ciarán McGlone
44   Posted 26/07/2011 at 22:10:11

Dave. Show me one post from last summer suggesting we would go down last season.
Andy Crooks
45   Posted 26/07/2011 at 22:09:56

Dave, I hope I'm wrong but I don't believe we will qualify for the Champions League. I do believe that Moyes must solve the problem of our awful starts and I suspect he will. Therefore, I hope that there will be no fear of relegation.

I'd like to think a cup win is possible but each tie must be treated like like a relegation dogfight, I think it is Moyes's brief to secure Premier League status at all costs and the lack of depth in the squad suggests to me early cup exits and a safe top ten finish. Luck with injuries would help as would less of an acceptance of draws from the coach.
Yes, I am realist, pessimist if you like. I don't see the point of what is, in my view, totally unrealistic expectations and hopes. I'd rather expect the worst and be surprised than be gutted at failure. Each to their own.

I would ask those who expect a lot from this season whom they will blame for underachievement?

James Flynn
46   Posted 26/07/2011 at 22:01:17

Eugene (25 etal) - "glass three-quarters-full"? Can't believe reading your posts your glass remained full at any time. Replenished perhaps.

The season hasn't started. If we can't be positive now, you included, then when? We have good players. You can no more deny that than I.

Here's a question. What if we come out the gate strong? We know we finish strong. Just a pre-season question I'm asking you. What if we come out strong?

And none of that "We never do" stuff. Last season is not this next. What if we come out strong and fast? Where do you think we'll finish?
Sam Hoare
47   Posted 26/07/2011 at 22:39:39

I just think if we are talking about something that none of us can be sure about ie the future then why not (within the reasonable realms of plausibility) imagine that it might go well?!

Yes we might be disappointed but is it worth being miserable all the time just to never suffer disappointment? Not in my book.

Oh and Eugene....those institutions were just as if not more full of people prophesising the end of the world at the sight of a grey cloud.; so take your pick.
James Flynn
48   Posted 26/07/2011 at 23:04:57

Sam (47) - My view is why the hell not. We're a top side just outside looking in. Why not this year? We have the players.

The players understand better than we do the "gravy train" days are over and there's no teams lining up to poach Everton players.

If they want more money, they have to get into the money. I think they can this season.
Karl Meighan
49   Posted 26/07/2011 at 23:32:58

Now were is that 5m from Piennar and Vaughn? That money could have brought in a prospect or with a couple of million added which should be fuck all for a club of Evertons standing a bit of pace or a goalscorer.

The Players we have may do well even play above themselves but it doesn't alter the fact were standing still.Man Utd dont win the title and think oh were champions we dont need players, the aim is to improve and get better, bringing in quality players helps teams do that we dont.
Karl Meighan
50   Posted 26/07/2011 at 23:50:58

James@46 we could challenge the top four if we started well but teams are so close in the Prem outside the big spenders we could also be finishing just above the drop zone if we struggle early on.

The Prem is full of ordinary average football teams who can beat each other on any given day and we are probably slightly above many of them but the gap will close quickly if we don't find a way to improve. Keeping what you have and adding to it should not be out of are reach.

And by the way I can't fuckin spell but I understand the offside rule and what goes on out on the pitch, well I think so anyway.

Will Leaf
51   Posted 27/07/2011 at 00:42:55

Where's The Yak on your list? In five years he'll still be 28!
Eugene Ruane
52   Posted 27/07/2011 at 09:36:02

First of all spelling - "Oh I can't spell" etc blah.

Bollocks, neither can I, but there's a spellchecker - why not (like me) use the bleedin' thing.

It's a simple courtesy as there ARE times certain things are completely unreadable.

Ffs, there's a little red line TELLING you what's wrong.

(ultimately YOU are the one who'll benefit!).

Dave Wilson (32), you love to give out, but get very 'poor me' when anyone responds in kind.

"I didtn get any English qualifications - I think you would have had to attend the classes to do that".

(interesting - seems even back then you felt you knew it all).

However, never let it be said that I'm not prepared to help out.

You say - "Just thought I`d clear that up as it may save you bursting a blood vessel blasting out all those camp hystionics on your key board".

Tip: Until you can spell words like histrionics, don't try to be too clever. Instead, just say something like 'having a fit' (nb: ONE t in fit!).

Lee Courtliff (38) - you say "I'm sick to death of people like you who seem obsessed with being negative"

SICK TO DEATH!?....YOU!!?...MR POSITIVE!!??

Well now I'm TOTALLY confused!!

You also (nb: narkily NOT positively) add "Who cares if this optimism is bollocks??".

Well obviously Lee nobody REALLY cares, but in the context of the debate, I do.

In fact I care about...YOU, because I believe optimism born out of invented stuff is VERY close to insanity.

Your 'logic' appears to be - "Nothing to be optimistic about? No problem, I'll just read some INVENTED positive shite, THEN I can feel optimistic".

(seriously, if that's the lengths you'll go to to feel optimistic, I'd be concerned!).

By the way, I don't for a second dispute your claim that I am a 'miserable twat', but that miserable twattishness is born of the REAL situation at Everton.

James Flynn (46). As I suggested in my previous post, if people want to do 'what ifs' (as you appear to) why not just cut to the chase and say 'What if we win the league?'.

Imo, it's no more or less daft/valid than any other 'what if'.

Will Leaf (51) - Thanks, I laughed out loud (which is odd coz I'm a miserable twat)
Dave Wilson
53   Posted 27/07/2011 at 11:05:32

Shakes head, tuts, wrings hands in total and utter despair.

Eugene

Sigh . .When I post from Home I have a spell checker, its a simple little ABC thing at the top of the screen . .but guess what ? that vacility isnt open to me here. Not when I log on TW.
I would take it up with the IT guy, but he might feel he has more pressing matters to attend..

I wasnt playing the "poor me" card nor was I appologising, I was merely trying to tell you so you would stop working yourself into a frenzy because I put an extra E on in crew.
If its any consolation to you I agree with you, we all have a responsibilty to lay our post out to the best of our ability. I do

However, you are STILL bottling it, You STILL have no right to berate somebody simply because he is more positive and IMO more informed than you and you STILL sound desperately short of an argument when the best you can do is Whine about how many E`s are in Crew

We are Evertonians we care about Everton not whether somebody got a CSE grade three in English Language.
Eugene Ruane
54   Posted 27/07/2011 at 11:59:18

Dave (53) Hooray!

Another desperate little trick has become apparent (nb: not as good as the 'Everyone in Britain agrees with me' one mind you).

Trying to make out anyone who disagrees with you is somehow foaming at the mouth

In this thread alone.

53 - "..so you would stop working yourself into a frenzy"

32 - "..Just thought I`d clear that up as it may save you bursting a blood vessel blasting out all those camp hystionics on your key board"

29n - "You need to calm down and take a good hard look at what you have just posted".

Sorry Dave, but if anyone's posts look like they were written in frenzy..

You finish with..

"We are Evertonians we care about Everton not whether somebody got a CSE grade three in English Language".

Wrong Dave!

Think about it, if people can't be arsed reading garbled, ungrammatical, badly spelt gibberish they'll never KNOW how much you care about Everton.

Does THAT make sense?

And by the way, there's no fucking rule that says you if you care about Everton, you CAN'T care about (an average standard of) English.

As for the 'bottling it' it bit.

I'm genuinely not sure WHAT you mean.

If you ask a simple question (nb: one I can understand) I guarantee I will try to answer it.

A word of warning though - I believe in my second post on this thread (25) I may have already answered you and you just can't see it.

(if not, by all means ask away)

David Chait
55   Posted 27/07/2011 at 12:33:29

How this has moved into a grammar debate I'll never know as that proves nothing and has no reference to anyones view on Everton. If anything it is detracting from a healthier debate, namely is there anything to be excited about and does this team have ANY potential? The point of the original piece.

To bring it back:
1. We have 2 England internationals in peak (jags and Baines)
2. The best DFM in the league (Fella)
3. 2 of the brightest English talents coming through (Rod and Ross)
4. the runner up in young player of the year (Coleman)
5. a player who we all feel should have had a run in the Spain side by now (despite last season)
6. a WC finalist who is good enough to be first choice in the Dutch side but not Everton

Is there not enough there to have a little hope, a little excitement?

Yes even the most optimistic of us know that the side needs more than a little tinkering. We're not blind to the shortcomings of last season. We also know there is no guarantee for the future.

I for one can't wait to see what the kids can do. I get excited thinking about them fulfilling their talent and what that might mean for us.

I don't get excited thinking about BK or Moyes's tactics. I could have have been dragged into desparation by both, and lose the ability to see any light. But that's not me. I like to look for that small piece that allows me to hold onto the pride I have for my team. Those guys listed, well most of them, allow me to still talk with pride when I stand at the braai and tell all my CL supporting mates that we will come for them one day. That is what the article stands for.
Dave Wilson
56   Posted 27/07/2011 at 12:36:17

How strange everybody else on the thread seems to understand what everybody else is saying - and I do mean EVERYBODY.

I cant speak for everybady - wouldnt dream of trying - I will let others make their own minds as to whether they think you are trying mask your inability to counter an argument by sidetracking the issue with your old spelling mistakes routine.

I`ve already made mine up.

BTW "Hystrionics" . . . .tell me that wasnt lost
Dave Wilson
57   Posted 27/07/2011 at 13:24:24

Actually Eugene Davids right.
It's decended into a bit of a squabble. Here`s a little challenge for you:

You put and article up there telling us why we should be pessimistic and I`ll put one up saying why we shouldn't.

Deal?
Eugene Ruane
58   Posted 27/07/2011 at 14:14:08

Dave Wilson - This is my last post on this, enjoy the 'lasst wird'.

As I suspected, I HAD already given an answer (in 25) and can therefore only assume reading is ALSO difficult for you.

But just to show I'm a man of my word, I'll repeat it here (save you scrolling up which I'm guessing might take some figuring out).

In 25 I said..

"Dave...er..except this isn't the only ever post to touch on this subject. My thoughts from article 'Our Bright Future' ? by Chris Bentham 28/06/2011 - "Couldn't be less excited about our 'rich talent'. After Rooney, nobody should be, because we know (nb: 100% FUCKING KNOW!) that as long as things stay as they are, anyone coming through who was REALLY good would be flogged sharpish to pay the bank". Clear enough (even) for you?".

Well is it?

Was it - or shall I copy and paste it another 15 times until it sinks in?

See the bit that says 'my thoughts'?

Well they're (shock of shocks!) er..my thoughts.

David Chait (25) I have now explained TWICE why I believe anyone getting worked-up about really good prospects is naive.

I have also explained that in my opinion, getting excited about 'what ifs' is equally daft.

But listen, you go for it.

In fact I'll make your day - I'll give you an even BETTER what if.

What if we get off to a good start, maybe win 8 out out of the first 10?

And as result, confidence is Sky high and we're level on points with Utd - COULD happen..right?

And we manage to stay clear of injury and Felli signs a new contract and Arteta is playing out of his skin - COULD happen!

And we go ON winning games (close games but wins) and Utd slip a bit and by crimbo we're 2 points clear of Chelsea.

And everyone is expecting US to slip and have a bad patch, but...we don't.

In fact as April approaches, we're 6 points clear (well it COULD happen!)

And incredible as it seems, we WIN the fucking thing by four points (Utd 2nd and Chelsea 3rd).

WE - WIN - THE - FUCKING - LEAGUE!!!

COME OOOOONNNNNN!!!!!

Liverpool?

Oh they got Relegated.

I can imagine on the strength of that, a few of you have got a BIG night planned tonight!

Enjoy!

COYB!!!!!!!!

(sings: "Weeeeeeee are the champions, in Dave's head...")
Lee Courtliff
59   Posted 27/07/2011 at 22:50:34

Like I said. Miserable twat.

A twat so miserable he even tries to deny someone having some pre season optimism. I will live in my little dream world for a few weeks longer. Then when we get off to our shit start I will join you Eugene.

In your miserable, twattish yet realistic world. Thanks pal, I can hardly wait.
Ciarán McGlone
60   Posted 27/07/2011 at 22:54:25

I spat on my phone laughing at that. Superb stuff.
James Flynn
61   Posted 28/07/2011 at 01:39:23

David (55) - Great stuff. I'm with you. We come out of the gate fast? Look out.
James Flynn
62   Posted 28/07/2011 at 01:42:37

Karl (50) - I hear you. My point is we are not a relegation side at all.

The season hasn't started. What if we start out hot? We finish that way and wind up just outside looking in.

If we can't be optimistic now, then when? We have good players and a good manager.
James Flynn
63   Posted 28/07/2011 at 02:05:47

Dave Wilson - Reading Eugene (52, 54, 58), I must sympathize with him.

Leave his wife alone villain. In his shoes, my responses to your posts would be equally incoherent.

And you a middle-aged man, you bad boy you.

How can you expect Eugene to make sense in your correspondence given the circumstance.

Back off
Dave Wilson
64   Posted 28/07/2011 at 05:52:50

Your having a laugh James. dont you think any wife - or partner - of Eugene's has enough trouble ?

Imagine his reaction to a little message she`d left on the bathroom mirror ? - "ITS SPELT CUNNILINGUS, CUNNI-FUCKEN-LINGUS . DONT EVER ASK ME AGAIN UNTIL YOU`VE LEARNED TO SPELL IT !

As it happens I`m disappointed he didnt pick up the gauntlet.
I would have interested in his thoughts regarding Everton.

David Chait
65   Posted 28/07/2011 at 13:11:42

Whoever though a lighthearted piece playing around with what might be in 5 years time.. not even next year would cause so much angst! It just shows how Everton has completely ground down some fans.

who gives a toss if its bollocks or delusional... I had fun writing it and was very pleased to see it gave some fans a little cheer.... Lee (59) .. spot on mate.. in a month from now we can all forget it and sink back to the depths of despair I so naively and daftly crawled out of. Thats where fans should ultimately only find happiness - in their misery.