Season 2011-12

Midsummer Madness?

31 Comments: First  |  Last

Since the end of last season, we have seen a trend in mailings to TW which is reflected on other websites too. Initial optimism was based on the Club?s promises to ?do our business early? and make ?quality? signings. Whether it be our Chairman, Moyes or the players making these utterances.

Then it all went quiet.

Thus began the second trend, an increasing dissatisfaction with not just a lack of activity, but the fact that Everton seemed to disappear off even the rumour mills. Dismissed by all and silence from the Club, whilst the likes of Stoke, Sunderland et al were spending and (arguably) strengthening.

Understandably, this anger began to coalesce and focus its attention on the on-going and well documented failings of the Everton Board of Directors. Our inability to sign new players is a direct result of the Board?s associated inability to find a buyer or investor; two words which are liberally and frequently used within the same sentence by the Club as though they mean the same thing (eg, Ian Ross on TalkSport).

The great thing was that this anger gained a real momentum, with fans groups actually getting some of the national media to at least cover the concerns. The now infamous Prentice article in the Echo added fuel to the flames and the management at Everton were suddenly on the backfoot and getting defensive, with the aforementioned Ross and also Elstone spouting forth with the party line, but with an underlying sense of panic there for all to read.

What?s happening now? I worry that the momentum and initiative has been lost. The fans groups that seemed to be mobilising so well have grown silent and the fans and the Club (including Billy BS himself) are now following the mantra of justifying the current squad as ?good enough?; that we have great young players coming through; that we finished well last season and those same players can carry that on into 2011-12... (boy, does that one sound familiar). ?Hey, it?s not that bad really,? seems to be the new order of the day.

I appreciate the reality of our current financial situation, but I am clear as to who is responsible (in my mind) for that situation and I no longer accept that it has to be that way, just because Billy BS and his gang say so. I had high hopes for the collective anger that seemingly underlies the current mood amongst many fans, including myself, as I felt that maintaining public pressure on the Board could and would lead to change. So I also hope that I?m wrong when I say that it seems like it?s fizzled out.

Billy and the rest have ridden out the Summer squall and can go back to chiselling away at the very fabric of the Club we all love, until we find ourselves imploding on the pitch and off it and falling into the Championship, or worse.

Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 26/07/2011 at 09:57:23

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Steve Sweeney
1   Posted 26/07/2011 at 16:07:42

It hasn't gone away, in fact it is still
there festering and getting angrier by the day.
Fans are realising that Billy Bullshit is just that
a Bullshitter and are fast running out of patience.
Call Alan Jackson tonight and list Bills record of incompetence, lets carry on letting the media know
that a solid core of the fanbase has had enough
of his lies and mismanagement.
Radio Merseyside Tel no
0151 709 9333
Andrew Fair
2   Posted 26/07/2011 at 16:06:27

Everyone who is against Kenwright et al always end up going along the line of ....... blah blah blah better do something before we are relegated.

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but Kenwright has been here a long time now and has never taken us down a division; looking at the rest of the teams in the league, that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Why are they chiselling away at the very fabric of our club? They are doing the best they can for "our" club and for "their" club. Not once in all this negativity this summer through ToffeeWeb and The People's Group etc have I seen anyone come up with a plausible and more importantly "realistic" alternative to BK that preserve the "fabric of our club".

Anthony Hughes
3   Posted 26/07/2011 at 16:18:10

I think it's still simmering away. I'd be surprised if many people are drawn into the crap that comes out of the club regarding that everything is fine and dandy. Alot will depend on how we start the season, if we get off to a flyer then fans will be temporarily calmed. On the other hand if we get off to our usual snails pace then i think hostilites will resume.
Mark Tanton
4   Posted 26/07/2011 at 16:28:35

I think a there is quite a large number whom have actually given up and are drifting away to worry about other things; paying the bills, booking a holiday and washing the car. Now this is very worrying, it's a new apathy... The club has pushed some of us over the edge and into not caring (or at least pretending not to).

Perhaps if the club wouldn't tell us every June to expect quick and exciting squad additions we wouldn't have the fucking hump so badly.

For what it's worth I consider myself one of those whom is gradually drifting away and trying not care. When you keep getting disappointed you walk away.
Brian Waring
5   Posted 26/07/2011 at 16:32:12

I agree with Anthony, I reckon its still simmering away, and fans are just waiting for the clubs next move.
Mark Tanton
6   Posted 26/07/2011 at 16:35:02

A bad start and there'll be an total mutiny in my opinion.
Jay Harris
7   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:17:51

Andrew Fair #2..
Another club plant?

Can you please explain how avoiding relegation is a major achievement for a club of Everton's standing.

And while you applaud Kenwright and cronies achievements can you please explain why somebody else would not do significantly better at managing the financial well being and future of the club.

What is it exactly that Kenwright does well????
Dennis Stevens
8   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:22:44

Maybe you're right, Andrew, & the Board is indeed "... doing the best they can ..." - however, the problem is : it's not very good, is it?
Mark Tanton
9   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:30:28

Good point Dennis,

If a man was doing the best he could to fly your plane but crashed it into a mountain you'd probably think it wasn't good enough.

Kenwright hit the mountain with us this summer, if not before.
Brian Waring
10   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:49:47

When the incompetence of Bk starts to get you down, remember one thing, it will make you feel better , and everything will start to make sense.

He's a' true blue ' There, you feel better now, don't you?
Christopher Kelly
11   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:58:02

Mark #4,

I'm with you...I live in the US and there frankly is just too much competition out there now for my eyeballs. NFL, NBA, NHL, UFC, .....

I used to check toffeeweb, official site, newsnow before I did anything in the mornings. Now I can't be bothered.

I've even been watching other, more exciting teams recently (I'll never actually LIKE Barca but boy do they play some inspired stuff; For fucks sake I even watched the Women's World Cup. Shoot me now!!) ... What I can't accept is mediocrity. It'd be more exciting to be in a relegation battle for me than to end up 12th and go quietly into another black hole offseason of nothingness. Frankly it's just boring. No ambition, no bold moves, no marketing foresight, no anything, really.

1 of 2 things need to happen to get me back:

1) a salary cap that promotes parity (although the problem is the big clubs have waaaay too much control of the FA)

2) fans boycott and force Bill's hand to sell (I admit it's risky but it's more exciting than watching the same team season after season get older and move down the table w/o suitable replacements)
Christopher Kelly
12   Posted 26/07/2011 at 18:11:11

And just for the record, I'm not sure it's wise having a "True Blue" be our chairman... Sure it's a romantic concept, but the truth is the game has moved on, we need a shrewd, neutral, business- oriented owner who can push us forward (by hiring the right staff, marketing to new untapped markets, new way of thinking about things..etc)

We don't need a "softie" as our owner, who is best friends with everyone, staff and team. He's like a woman, needs to be liked by everyone. No successful team in any sport has a vagina for an owner... nuff said

James Stewart
13   Posted 26/07/2011 at 18:21:54

A bad start will see Moyes finally jump ship once people start getting sacked elsewhere and a better offer comes in and you can't blame him. Which will leave us up shit creek with kenwright and no paddle.

Brendan O'Doherty
14   Posted 26/07/2011 at 19:05:52

Andrew #2

"Kenwright has been here a long time now and has never taken us down a division."

There is only one person who is responsible for us not going down a division, whether you like him or not, and it ain't Bill Kenwright.

"They are doing the best they can for 'our' club and for 'their' club."

That's all right then is it? Because 'only the best is good enough.' Total spending so far of £0, with the likelihood of selling someone soon to keep the banks at bay for another few months at least, and to part-finance a few Bosmans and loan deals. Beaten to a £150k signing today by Leeds. This is 'best' they can do ? This board have turned this club into an embarrassing laughing-stock. God help us.
Sean Patton
15   Posted 26/07/2011 at 19:17:19

Steve

It is still there and will only build the longer the summer goes on without ONE signing and as others have alluded to if the team get off to a bad start and no signings occur then there will be blue murder at Goodison.

God help Kenwright if there are no players coming in this window.
Steve Guy
16   Posted 26/07/2011 at 19:23:38

Andrew #2, what would you regard as wrecking the fabric of the Club is, if it's not hawking off all our assets and still not being able to sign a player of any description for the best part of two years? See Evertontime.com if you don't believe me.

As far as a realistic alternative goes... FFS... Billy Liar is the one who has supposedly been working on that one for the last 11 years 24/7 apparently.

Sorry matey you are either incredibly naive, or in a coma for about 8 years, or a "plant" as someone suggested.
Mark Rankin
17   Posted 26/07/2011 at 19:22:57

I'm not really against the club's current "sell before you buy" approach, I think it is pretty sensible. There are many recent examples of the dangers of overspending, eg, Leeds, Portsmouth. Moyes has spent on Fellaini, Bily, Yak etc and that investment has to work for us. When we do take a hit, eg, The Yak then we've got to expect it to impact on the money available for transfers.

I don't want or expect some sugar daddy to come in and do it for the blues, I would prefer to have a 'fuck you' attitude and less of a subservient attitude to the likes of Man Utd. I wish the fans would stop bleating about BK, transfers, and just be mad Evertonians and make Goodison the intimidating atmosphere it can be on occasion all the time.

Trevor Mackie
18   Posted 26/07/2011 at 17:23:18

BK's charge sheet has been there for years but largely ignored because he's a "good ole boy" sort. He rode to the rescue and, as the saying goes, "You can always tell a scouser ? but you can't tell him much." So it's an uphill task from the get-go.

It's crossing the Rubicon for many ? attacking one of our own is sacrosanct ? admirable, one might say... but I remember the Pompey fans chanting chairman Peter Storrie's name during their financial collapse. Portrayed as a beacon of long serving loyalty and selflessness among Jonny Foreigner pirates, it was only when revelations of what he was actually pocketing and details of his less than selfless transfer dealings broke that his name became mud.

BK retains tacit support among "Middle Evertonia" because, like most fans, they're frightened and really have no stomach for the fight. Another start like last season or detailed financial revealations about BK, Earl and Green will change things this time ? simply because the likes of "The People's Group" provide a focus. Equally the fear is deep rooted and if we get a moderate start the continuation of mediocrity will remain. Not long to go now... we'll soon know.

Brian Waring
19   Posted 26/07/2011 at 20:45:57

James (#13) you say Moyes will jump ship if we make a bad start, and if a better offer comes in. You say you couldn't blame him.

If we do have a bad start, then wouldn't that be down to Moyes? He keeps telling us this is his best squad ever.

Christopher Kelly
20   Posted 26/07/2011 at 21:02:37

I wonder if Bill even owns his car?
Ciarán McGlone
21   Posted 26/07/2011 at 22:24:42

Thanks, Christopher, for a belly laugh there. Nice one.
James Flynn
22   Posted 26/07/2011 at 22:59:12

Brian (19) - He says it's his best because it is. The final jump-up happens this season. The indestructible "Sky 4" is over.

EFC can finish in the money. We just need to come out the gate strong. And we can.
James Stewart
23   Posted 26/07/2011 at 23:31:58

Brian@19 Moyes said last year it was his best squad ever. Then Pienaar left and aliens abducted Arteta and it all came apart at the seams. Now I am not Moyes's biggest fan but it would be folly to suggest he is happy with the current squad. Everyone knows he needs to replace the ones who have left let alone add to it.

If Moyes had even Sunderland's budget we could be looking at a top 4 challenge. At present we will be lucky to make the top 10 again. I think Moyes could succeed elsewhere yes and we need him more than he needs us at present. Sad but true.
Chris James
24   Posted 26/07/2011 at 23:33:43

I'm certainly increasingly in the angry camp, but my wrath is less about the fact that we aren't prepared to slip further into debt to overpay yet more comparatively underwhelming 'athletes' and their parasitic agents (the Premier League business model makes the banking sector look sane and responsible). Indeed, like Mark (#17) I'm quite prepared to accept the sell to buy approach, my real problem however is how staggeringly inept we seem at doing even that.

We have players who want to leave, clubs who apparently want to buy them and the need to get them off the wage bill and bring in whatever cash we can to enable us to recruit some new (albeit likely youthful, lower league or 'free') talent. So what's the fucking hold up - let's just get the deals done already and move on FFS!
James Martin
25   Posted 26/07/2011 at 23:42:06

Sunderland sold Henderson and Bent and have invested most of it in a load of Man Utd pensioners. if Moyes had done this, he would have been slated. Sunderland's budget would arguably be the same as ours, that is £0, without this sell-to-buy policy.

Bolton are buying up a load of rubbish, Newcastle have sold their best players. Everyone else apart from the top teams has to sell to buy. Everyone expects Everton to be some sort of financial miracle and exception to this rule.

Dave Randles
26   Posted 27/07/2011 at 01:05:30

James # 24.

You have just compared us to Newcastle, Sunderland and Bolton.

I think what you expect and most on here expect and benchmark us against are polar opposites. Perhaps that is the real difference in opinion.

I grew up with Everton being one of THE big teams and will, for as long as I draw breath, expect us to be doing everything possible to be successful and get back up there. Fact is, we do nothing and in real terms (i.e strength going forward) we have at best stood still.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum. If only.
Brendan O'Doherty
27   Posted 27/07/2011 at 01:38:18

"The final jump-up happens this season. The indestructible "Sky 4" is over."

Yeah it's the Sky 6 now.

Andrew Fair
28   Posted 27/07/2011 at 10:22:36

I wish I was a plant, Jay (#2) ? then I might get paid for this, although with our finances, I don?t think they could afford me. I just have to point you all in the direction of Birmingham and the turmoil there, similar to what happened down at Portsmouth. Imagine what would happen if BK did give in to the pressures upon him and we go bust? The man would be hung, drawn and quartered.

Jay (#2) ? It's not just avoiding relegation that he is helped us achieve, it's constant top 8 finishes. He has backed up our manager whenever he has requested cash in the past; at the moment we are hitting a hard time and are being clever with what money we do have.

If I am looking for a new car and can't afford one then I will just look after the one I have to the best of my ability, and if no-one will give me the asking price for mine then I won?t sell. There are a lot more business savvy owners of football clubs that have ruined clubs and BK it proving that by being sensible it can work.

Brendan. I don?t think we were beaten to the Lonergan signing by Leeds, I just don?t think eventually we went in for him. Press reports are not always true. With Howard, Mucha and Davies, I don?t think we need another keeper.

Brendan and Steve ? If we have to sell an asset to make some cash to reinvest In the club then so be it ? that?s how businesses are ran. We have players that are expendable: Bily, Johnny, Jags (although I would hate to see him go). It wouldn?t be done with DM's backing and would help to strengthen the club, as has happened in the past with Rooney.

Overall, I may be an optimist but I can also take a step back and let my head rule over my heart and see that actually we are not in a bad state at all. We have a great 15/16 players followed by some cracking youth coming through.

The team spirit is better than ever especially now with the addition of Twitter to the dressing room. We have one of the top four managers in the league and Liverpool are wasting cash on shit players. I'm looking forward to this season, COYB.

Steve Sweeney
29   Posted 27/07/2011 at 16:46:42

Look out for UEFA to increase our allocation of teams
to the Champions League from 4 to six so that
The Shite Plus Shitah can enjoy the riches they so
obviously deserve.
Christopher Kelly
30   Posted 27/07/2011 at 17:26:54

Mr. McGlone, glad to help in a dire situation, I've been a big fan of yours...Keep it up!

I guess comedy is the only way to get us through this misery. We might as well turn off our computers, get drunk and shag as many babes as possible for the next few weeks because NOTHING is going to happen between now and Tottenham. #askingforrelegation
James Flynn
31   Posted 28/07/2011 at 01:33:57

Brendan (26) - "Yeah it's the Sky 6 now". A member of which we can become.

With all the negativity in here Brendan, your support of my opinion much appreciated.