Season 2011-12

Time to show some balls

47 Comments: First  |  Last

The Bill Kenwright aologists have a point about the lack of protest... So:

When the ref blows the whistle for our first league game at Goodison Park, every man who is against the current regime should leave their seat for the first five minutes and go downstairs.

The lack of a meaningful protest, in the face of the shambolic way in which we are being run, is a disgrace.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Andrew Earlam, Liverpool     Posted 27/07/2011 at 19:42:05

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Joe McMahon
1   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:26:10

The trouble is Andrew will the 3 old wooden antiquated stands be able to cope with that many people rushing to go downstairs while others are trying to find thier allocated wooden seat.

Which ever way you look the Kenwright Legacy is there to see............christ it should have been the Kings Dock.
Andrew Earlam
2   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:30:04

Yes if it's done in an orderly fashion. Who knows the shy ones may even get a chant going for on the way back up. It's time to show this lot that they can't carry on taking the piss.
James Morgan
3   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:24:46

Although we need to do something, I fear any sort of walk out will only be detrimental to the team. A game can be lost in five minutes. Maybe flags and banners as well as chants should get the ball rolling so to speak.
Joe McMahon
4   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:30:42

It's probrably not the post, but it's the newest. I work in the Burnley area, and I've heard (from the woman down the roads sons dead cat etc) that we certainly won't be getting Eagles, he's off to Bolton with Tyrone Mears. I'm not of course saying it's defo gonna happen just like when Michael Ball apparently told a fellow Toffeeweber that signings will be arriving.
John Crook
5   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:31:27

If I wasn't such an alcoholic I would avoid leaving my seat 7 minutes before half-time to get the overpriced Chang in and trying to keep an eye on the remaining minutes of the 1st half, whilst queing, on the tv screens that don't work.
Kevin Freaney
6   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:36:45

Essentially you've already paid for your ticket and lined their pockets so why should they care that you miss the first 5 minutes of the match.

All you'll end up doing is demotivating the team 5 minutes into a new season!

Don't get me wrong, something should be done, but I personally don't think this idea will work.
Andrew Earlam
7   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:36:46

James Morgan ? doing nothing would prove more detrimmental to the team.They've been searching 24/7 for 12 years maybe it's time to hurry them along a little then get behind the lads on the park.
Andrew Earlam
8   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:40:47

I think it would be a shot in the arm Kevin for any player worth his salt and not just content to pick up his wages.
Mark Stone
9   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:43:11

I doubt it will happen as I truly don't think that it represents the opinions of the majority of match-goers. Whether it is my opinion or not is irrespective in the scope of this post.
Dave Lynch
10   Posted 27/07/2011 at 20:58:27

Watching SKY sports news tonight really bought it home to me.

Quote.

"Tony Pullis is really looking forward to Stoke's first European game, but he told us that he has transfer targets on his mind at the present also".

Fucking depressed.
Andrew Earlam
11   Posted 27/07/2011 at 21:11:27

Get up stand up and walk down them steps Dave
Chris Butler
12   Posted 27/07/2011 at 21:18:50

I've always wanted this. I'm sick of the fans who slate Kenwright all the time yet do fuck all about it. Yes I understand if you live in Australia or Thailand, but it's pointless cyber protesting. The time for action has started and fans need to start doing it.

For example, I remember when Lazio fans completely cleared their terrace for 20 minutes then all started running back in and singing as a protest. It would never happen at GP but people would start to take notice.

Trevor Mackie
13   Posted 27/07/2011 at 21:13:13

Speaking as a sheep, if I went to Goodison I doubt I'd do it unless the whole flock around me legged it, and I say that based on truthful middle aged lazinesss.

I would admire those leaders among us who did, but my honest view is I think most of us are lazy sheep.

Of course my own protest at not going or spending a single penny on the club as it stands won't be everyone's cuppa but I suspect if enough did the same it might focus the attention of Billy and Co.
John Daley
14   Posted 27/07/2011 at 21:15:30

"I think it would be a shot in the arm... for any player worth his salt and not just content to pick up his wages."

Why would it be? It's not going to inspire anybody is it? Like the bemused, rabbit in the headlights, look permanently burnt onto Bilyaletdinov's face is suddenly going to vanish and be replaced by a steely grimace of determination due to half the ground fucking off out their seats for five minutes?

Whilst I'm not against some form of protest, I believe that this proposal would be both counter-productive and impractical.
Jonathan Stockdale
15   Posted 27/07/2011 at 21:40:18

Would it reach the attention of the board if not one penny was spent in Everton One store on the first home game of the season?

Or if a group of fans were selling red bricks outside the store (or therabouts) for fans donate to the Club, who would buy one?

This would at least serve a purpose of providing the raw materials to fill in the embarrassing hole in the wall at the Park End. I can see them now all neatly laid at the foot of Dixie's statue with a few bags of sand and cement and the contact details of local bricky's offering their time for free.
Andy Crooks
16   Posted 27/07/2011 at 22:30:21

How about the mass unfurling of Kenwright Out banners five minutes into the first live Sky game? I really believe that it would cut him and humiliate him to the core.

Andrew, I understand and appreciate your passion but I think if your idea was successful it could lead to an undignified stampede; if unsuccessful an embarrassing damp squib.

Ryan Holroyd
17   Posted 27/07/2011 at 22:45:50

The ONLY protest there can be is NOT GO TO THE GAME. Hit the board in the pocket. It's the only way things will get done. Simple.
Richard Wilkinson
18   Posted 27/07/2011 at 22:58:07

Why go downstairs, why don't we all just turn our backs like the city celebration but without the celebration? Or failing that maybe photocopied 20 notes raining down from all 4 stands???
Russell Buckley
19   Posted 27/07/2011 at 23:40:14

Not that I'm against it at all but I really doubt the entire stadium would follow down stairs.

People posting on Toffeeweb have had all they can take at this point and the general fan base isn't happy.

But go and take a look at sites like Bluekipper. The vast majority of people over there are still positive and shout down any fan who dares to call out their beloved Bill.
Shaun Sparke
20   Posted 28/07/2011 at 00:06:01

How about this for an idea? What if just one of the many thousands of Evertonians who are calling for Kenwright's head, write him a cheque for X amount of pounds and buy the club off him. What? You haven?t got a spare hundred million or whatever it takes to secure the sale? Surely you must know somebody with that amount of spare change. No, me neither.

His mistakes are well documented over and over again on here and on other Everton websites. With perfect hindsight we can all see what a disaster the failure of the Kings Dock was, but not one of us can say that it would have been a categorical success. What if building costs would have escalated, leaving us with even less money available for players that enabled us to maintain our status in the top league? What if Kenwright would have sold his controlling interest to Paul Gregg and then Greg could have hawked Everton and the Kings Dock stadium off to the highest bidder who could have turned out to be a corrupt money laundering crook. Where would this have left Everton?

The point I am attempting to make here is that everything is not as clear-cut as it may seem. I am not defending Kenwright, far from it ? but some of the abuse I have read on here directed towards a fellow blue is not becoming for the best fans of any football club I know.

I can understand the frustration and the anger of many fans and I can also understand the determination of many to want to do something about it. But talk of boycotting games, walking out of games and not buying club merchandise is only going to damage the club. Short term pain for long term gain! I think not.

Tony J Williams
21   Posted 28/07/2011 at 00:06:27

Can't see too many apologists on here Andrew. Apart from Nutty Doddy that is.

I get my seat just in time for the kick-off, not going back downstairs again. Banners is the way to go... if you can sneak them past the stewards.
Christopher Kelly
22   Posted 28/07/2011 at 00:43:30

Andy Crooks has it spot on... Sneak those damn flags past the ushers and wave them proudly! The sooner the better. If we don't do anything we're looking at another 5+ years of this crap.
Ste Traverse
23   Posted 28/07/2011 at 01:17:08

I'd love to see the whole of Goodison pointing at the directors box chanting "We want Kenwright out" and watch this egotistical prick squirm.
James Flynn
24   Posted 28/07/2011 at 01:19:48

Kevin (6) - "All you'll end up doing is demotivating the team 5 minutes into a new season".

Can't agree. The players know better than us this team will be broken up for 2012-2013. Finance will dictate that. And they respect Moyes and us.

I'm way over here and don't know the temper of Goodison-going fans. But a 5 minute display of dis-satisfaction, as Andrew proposes, will do more than any scarf-wearing nonsense would.

Andrew - If I was a match-goer, I'd follow your suggestion.
Eric Myles
25   Posted 28/07/2011 at 03:33:48

Richard 16, take it just one step further.

Stand up, turn your back, and then moon the directors box.
Jimmy Saville
26   Posted 28/07/2011 at 08:00:29

How about not taking your seats for the first 5 to 10 minutes. Return with banners etc singing

love the team. Sack the board.

Hence supporting the team, whilst getting the message across.
Keith Skidmore
27   Posted 28/07/2011 at 07:20:45

Can we have a "Like" button...!!! #25 made me chuckle, one massive flaw to the plan being that the seats are to close together and you'd end up with your nose wedged between the persons cheeks behind you...!!!
I've not renewed my ticket and got a phone call askin me why? Told them I was bored of that question.
Alan Williams
28   Posted 28/07/2011 at 08:15:00

What are you protesting for? BK only owns 27% of our club, if he stands down, it doesn?t change a thing ? we still have no money.

Protests are fine but you must have an alternative otherwise it?s completely pointless as winning achieves nothing other than devaluing the club and making the players have an excuse for failure. Protest when you have another candidate to take over ? it would be far more practical, but then again looking at the attitude of some people on this site they probably haven?t looked that far ahead.

If you do protest I?m certain you will be shouted down by the majority of fans, not because we like BK but we understand our predicament. Please go and talk with a Birmingham fan and see how they feel today!! COYB.

Tony J Williams
29   Posted 28/07/2011 at 09:05:41

"I've not renewed my ticket and got a phone call askin me why? Told them I was bored of that question" - Brilliant
Phil Martin
30   Posted 28/07/2011 at 10:28:33

How about not returning to your seat for 5 mins atter the 2nd half has kicked off. Most people are already out of their seat, and it also means you might actually get time to buy a half time refreshment.
Andrew Earlam
31   Posted 28/07/2011 at 10:30:05

@Shaun 20

"Could all the multi-millionaires who have had their approaches to buy or even invest in Everton turned down by Kenwright please form an orderly queue and make yourself known. Oh sorry, I have forgotten, he must have made them all sign a confidentially agreement forbidding them to discuss their failed bid. "

Do you honestly think that these people would run to the press saying that we are overpriced.Get real man they just move on and buy into The Premiership for what they consider a fair price.This nonsense is a complete and utter falicy and would explain why they get no further than an enquiry.
Andrew Earlam
32   Posted 28/07/2011 at 10:37:25

It would seem that most want change but are too shy or couldn't be arsed that's why I think the walk out at the first whistle could actually work.If it all goes wrong and you are the only one to stand up then just take a piss or get a cup of tea but then you could find yourself downstairs with a couple of hundred like minded people who could suddenly break off the shakles and find a voice.
Matt Traynor
33   Posted 28/07/2011 at 10:35:12

Some funny comments on here, sums up why this site is better than the others...

If you went downstairs at kick off, would that mean you might be served by half time?

The other thing, aside from the obvious safety issues, is that returning to your seats 5 mins after kick off, even for 2nd half, you'll still be before most of the directors, sponsors lounge guests etc, who normally finish their pudding/half time coffees, around then.
Andrew Earlam
34   Posted 28/07/2011 at 11:01:42

Let's just write letters then and moan on forums.We deserve what we've got.
Dave Wilson
35   Posted 28/07/2011 at 09:47:13

"Does anyone have any better Ideas" . .Lol

Imagine young children being trapped on the steps while thousands of angry young men charged up and down ? And not calling fellow Evertonians idiotic names like apologist might be seen as a step in that direction.

Calls to arms by individuals merely invite other individuals to come up with what they consider "better" ideas.
Going by this thread alone you wouldnt know whether to:

Get up and leave your seat.

Smuggle in banners.

Run back singing - provided you could get downstairs in the first place

Stand and chant at the board.

Turn your backs

Sit with the arl lazy fuckers and try to figure out who are the protesters and who are the guys who just needs a beer

Or vote with your feet and dont go near the fucken place.

do you see ?

This board simply HAS to go, but by showing oursleves to be a disorganised rabble we give them all the amunition they need to dismiss any protest as the actions of a "few malcontents"

Fuck this "grow some balls" bravado. its your brains you need.

Choose leaders, passionate Evertonians who care.
Let them come up with forms of protest, trust them and support them.

Stop this half witted name calling, its divisive and will kill any chance of a strong unified protest.

One group of fans protesting in a peaceful but headline grabbing manner

Ellect your leaders guys. The trust them to come up with the ideas, ones that dont jeopordise the safety of others

Andrew Earlam
36   Posted 28/07/2011 at 11:20:28

like a stay behind protest ?
Shaun Sparke
37   Posted 28/07/2011 at 11:35:28

Andrew, show me the evidence, any evidence will do that Kenwright has turned down genuine investors or buyers. If they do exist then there is no way that this would have stayed hidden. Kenwright just doesnt have that kind of influence, putting it bluntly, he is just not that important.
Andrew Earlam
38   Posted 28/07/2011 at 11:42:07

Didn't he turn down Gregg ?
Andrew Earlam
39   Posted 28/07/2011 at 11:47:25

Adam Cunliffe
40   Posted 28/07/2011 at 11:49:08

The first game I'll be attending of the new campaign will be against the Villa as I'm away on holiday for the 1st home game, however I'm more than up for a protest. I've sounded out the idea in a post after the Reading game last yr, but after signing nobody, that's right fucking nobody I've never felt more disillusioned with the club.

Usually I'd be buying a ticket for the lower glawdys, fucking love that place! But desperate times and all that, so any other non-season ticket holders who still go to many matches a season, and who are against Bill Kenwright destroying our club feel free to meet up with me pre-game (Croft's social maybe?) and i'll bring the banner and we can sit/stand on the front rows of the upper glawdys and show the banner.

adamcunliffe@hotmail.co.uk is my email adress, might be a stupid thing to give my email adress away, but without communication nothing get's done. Anybody interested in joining me drop me a line, and hopefully word will spread. I'm 17 and as it stands all I'll have to live off is glory stories from the past from my dad and his dad, and as great as it is to hear about Andy Gray flying through the air to head the ball more or less out the Watford keeper's hands, I want to see Everton Football Club back were they belong! I'll be in Ireland untill Monday with my girlfriend (A Villa fan herself!) so won't be able to reply if anyone messages me, but like I say, nothing will get done on forum's.

'NO INVESTMENT, NO HOPE, KENWRIGHT; IF YOU LOVE US, LEAVE US. NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM.'
Kunal Desai
41   Posted 28/07/2011 at 12:00:40

The screw will certainly need to turn further after the first 6 games of the season,if it hasn't already. Another repeat of the fucked up results of last season (3 out of 18 points) and the knives must surely start to sharpen even more for BK's backside to be hounded out of GP.
Make no mistake, the crucial games at home (QPR, Villa and Wigan) will be tough, all will come and sit back and come for a point, should we fail to break these down and atleast pick up 2 win and a draw, then anything less is not acceptable and action and voices must be heard towards BK.
Tom Astley
42   Posted 28/07/2011 at 13:32:38

I tend to agree with a stay behind protest. After beating QPR 5-0, rightly applaud Moyes, applaud the players, once they are gone, the protests start. Management, players, and most importantly, Kenwright will hear everything
Shaun Sparke
43   Posted 28/07/2011 at 13:36:49

Andrew, that is not evidence of a turned down bid. And If I remember correctly, the protest cries from Evertoninas regarding Gregs involvement with the club could be heard all around the city. It's funny how this is now being used as evidence against Kenwright. As I said earlier, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Michael Kelly
44   Posted 28/07/2011 at 13:31:15

There is a definite whiff of revolution, finally, this summer. Fans who do go the games must not let up in demonstrating how pissed-off we are with this current set-up.

We as Evertonians naturally go into our shells after a couple of decent results; this season we must make the collective effort to change that ? or be prepared for more of the same boring bullshit for YET another season.

Col Wills
45   Posted 28/07/2011 at 14:12:51

Adam- is your bird fit?
Adam Cunliffe
46   Posted 28/07/2011 at 14:54:41

Col- A solid 9 outta 10! And she's a former season ticket holder in the holte end!
Col Wills