Season 2011-12

N'Zogbia stalling for us?

58 Comments: First  |  Last

Villa have announced that they hope to have the deal to sign Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan for £9.5M tied up next week but he is having a medical Friday so surely, if that is fine, he could sign Friday.

Or is he stalling, ie saying he wants to meet the manager personally before putting pen to paper as he knows Villa are away in Hong Kong or something like that?

I am clutching at as many straws as I can find hoping this is the case and if so he clearly wants to come and play for us.

Do not fail us, Kenwright.

Nick Parker, Croydon     Posted 28/07/2011 at 13:25:04

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Andrew Fair
1   Posted 28/07/2011 at 14:32:18

Nick. I think around the Twitterverse etc its understood that N'Zogbia would have liked to move to Everton, but we can't afford him ? simple as that. Whether BK decides to spend the cash on the hope that we will get that back from the Yak,Yobo deals we can only hope... on the way he is running things to a tight budget I doubt it very much!

Wouldn't hope too much though. We do have an unnamed American trialist with us at the moment though and have apparently just signed two youngsters ? pinching one from under the noses of the shite, so take something from that.

Anthony Millington
2   Posted 28/07/2011 at 14:36:48

What a waste of time Everton are. We spend millions on Bily, Fellaini and Heitinga etc, yet when a quality pacy winger comes along who we all crave and have needed for years we don't sign them!

What gets me is we have lost one of our best players in Pienaar and don't appear to beable to even fund a replacement! What a joke! It looks like we'll be starting Osman outwide again this season, a position that we all know he's no good in!

If our finances are really that bad then why did we not sell Pienaar last summer when we could have got a decent amount to fund a replacement? Our poor management of players is costing us millions, the likes of Pienaar, the Gosling free transfer and loaning Yak and Yobo out ? where has that got us?

One positive is at least the players seem upbeat and optimistic!

Andrew Fair
3   Posted 28/07/2011 at 14:51:18

Will Gueye be given a run at Left wing? He has pace, skill and an eye for a goal. Maybe Moyes thinks he will be better than N'Zogbia.

Fourthofficial on Twitter is saying Fellaini will sign a new contract which is great news. Re Fourthofficial, he rarely gets it wrong.

Michael Kelly
4   Posted 28/07/2011 at 14:54:35

Don't hold your breathe.
Stephen Kenny
5   Posted 28/07/2011 at 14:54:30

We haven't got enough money to rebuild the wall at the end of the Park End or put our Dixie statue back where it should be.

I seriously doubt we will find £9.5M to sign N'Zogbia.

Sad but true.
Gavin Ramejkis
6   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:05:38

Stephen, is it the club's wall to rebuild? They probably hocked it off...
Adam Bennett
7   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:12:54

The way this Charles N?Zogbia to Aston Villa deal is going, I think it is an absolute cert that he wants to come to us.

Dave Whelan has stated that Wigan cannot keep hold of him and is prepared to sell.

Villa have £16m from Ashley Young and £20m from Stewart Downing. The fee for N?Zogbia isn?t a problem for them. Therefore, this deal should have been wrapped up last week.

It hasn?t been.

There is no reason why this deal should not have been concluded by now if Villa was his first choice.

All I can think of is that N?Zogbia is holding out for as long as he can for Everton to sell Yobo and Yakubu, and thus having the money for an acceptable bid.

One signing, that?s all we ask.

Ian Ross, Robert Elstone, the press?. Can you hear us? We?re not asking for billionaire signings. We?re not asking for this player, that player and his mate. We?re not asking for bank breaking, big time, numerous stars.

ONE SIGNING! THAT IS ALL WE ARE ASKING FOR!!

P.s. The money from selling Peinaar and Vaughan; and the loan fees and saved wages on Yobo, Yakubu and Vaughan should cover it.

Afterall 85p in every pound gets reinvested in the squad?.. or does it?
Dan McKie
8   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:06:53

Whilst I understand peoples concerns regarding money and stuff, N'Zogbia isn't the great player some on here make him out to be. He had half a good season in a very poor side, and it was more highlighted by the fact he scored more goals than he has ever done before, not for his fantastic wing play.

Also, we put in our fair share of crosses into the box now, with no strikers that have the instinct to get on the end of them. How would that change with N'Zogbia crosses? We could have Beckham in his prime swinging them in and we still wouldnt score many.

Luke O'Farrell
9   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:12:39

We haven't got a dime, so it's wishful thinking. The only possible means of putting a bid in would be through the sale of Yobo and Yakubu; and they're still here.

Also what is it with Gueye and people thinking he has pace?!?! Yes, he does have quick feet and a decent enough shot on him but he is by no means fast.

He is faster than most but that's because our team is so slow, but he is by no means lightning.
Dan McKie
10   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:15:28

I know its probably bollocks, but Adam Johnson on loan? Yes please, over N'Zogbia any day.
Norman Merrill
11   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:10:21

Is this a case of some fans clutching at straws, over N'zogbia deal?
The fee alone is well out of our league,
And by all accounts it's a done deal at Villa, makes no difference that the club are in the far east.
David Chait
12   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:19:45

Dan (10) you are spot on... N'zogbia is good.. but I can assure you he is not the missing link between us and the title.

I'm almost 99% sure the Johnson loan is bollocks.. but that would get me a lot more excited than Nzogbia who a lot of clubs could have picked up when he moved to Wigan, but opted out.

In fact if we do sell Jags ultimately I would like to see us look further abroad and let Villa have him. I would take Donovan for the same price actually.. even though he is older! And if our PR side ever did their job it would pay back a lot more!
James Stewart
13   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:21:21

Adam Johnson would be an immense signing. Can't see that one happening in a million years though. One City and Everton's relationship is still hostile from the lescott saga. Two Johnson could move to a Top 4 club who would all be interested so why would he come here!
The time to buy Johnson was when he was at Boro.

N'Zogbia would have preferred a move here but there is no money so what can Moyes do! The Yobo deals and Yakubu should have been wrapped up by now. We should have accepted the 3m on offer for Yobo and put it down as a down payment but once again we drag our heels and the ship sails.
Julian Wait
14   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:30:43

Re: Adam Johnson.

If you are Man City and you see Everton's ability last term to take points off the top 7, why not loan him to Everton, with a clause saying he cannot play against City, in the hope that Everton take points off City's rivals?

Not saying it's right or what the game should be about, but it makes perfect sense, as clearly Everton are not a threat to City re. league placings, but are a threat on a game by game basis.

Question is, are they prepared to pay part of his wages to come here, as we couldn't afford those either, and would he even want to come here (does he have much of a choice)?
David Crowe
15   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:30:29

Reckon we could solve ALL our problems in the loan market this summer with a major amount of luck. City fans seem to think the idea of Johnson going out on loan is ridiculous but he's never getting in the team in front of Silva ever and he's potentially England's left winger (better than Milner easily) so he'll definitely want to get first team football so that would solve the left side issue if we got him on loan.

For the right wing, some will scoff but I reckon SWP is better than Coleman and if we got him back to his best - and I'd back Moyes to at least get him close to that - he'd be an excellent loan signing. Wingers sorted

Finally, Sturridge would be immense and might be available for loan and was willing to move north to Bolton so should be willing to move here. Look at how many league places he lifted Bolton virtually single handed last year. There's no way they'd have been above us for so long without him.

Little but FM but they've all been linked with us on loan so it would be at least a brilliant short term fix. It'd leave the squad 10x as good as it was last year.

If Chelsea don't want to loan then sell Yobo, Yak, Bily and Rodwell and pay whatever it takes. This guy Sturridge is too good to miss without a fight IMO

Trevor Mackie
16   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:42:37

Glad to see Evertonians can still spot a player.

Adam Johnson IS the one.

I know it won't happen but I'm getting my guitar out and singing the old Bachelors anthem "I believe".
David Chait
17   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:49:11

Rumours strengthening Fellaini signing a new contract.. source Everton Blueroom via twitter...

Say it with me.....
Anthony Hughes
18   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:46:34

Mark Tanton
19   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:54:01

N'Zogbia probably does want to sign for Everton, but he can't stall much longer and he is hoping in vain, as are you lot, if you hope he will turn up at Finch Farm.

My massive worry now is that we'll sell Jagielka very close to deadline day and not reinvest the money.

I wonder if we let Rooney and Lescott go so close to the wire so we would struggle to replace, and would then simply shift the money to the side and not spend it all.
Mike Allison
20   Posted 28/07/2011 at 15:58:48

"The only reason at present why N'Zogbia would come to us instead of Villa would be that he doesn't have to move house."

And we're a better club with a better team and a better manager. And better fans.

I know I'm biased, but better team and manager can be argued pretty easily on an objective basis with recent league positions, and Villa fans are fairly well known (here in the Midlands anyway) as boring, fickle, whingeing bastards, whereas Evertonians still have a reputation for really knowing their football and appreciating good play, even sometimes when it comes from the opposition. Things you might take for granted at Goodison don't happen at other places, including Villa Park.

The only reason he WOULDN'T come to Everton instead of Villa would be money.
Andrew Ellams
21   Posted 28/07/2011 at 16:10:47

One rumour going round is Afellay from Barca to Spurs for £4million. This lad is class and that is an absolute snip. We are being left so far behind, it's not even funny any more.
Mark Tanton
22   Posted 28/07/2011 at 16:17:08

Andrew we are being left behind mate. Some of us were saying this three or four years and were shouted down.

I wonder how many people are coming to the same realisation, and how many would still do the shouting down now?
Brian Waring
23   Posted 28/07/2011 at 17:00:36

I heard Messi stalled on a new Barca contract, because he heard we were interested.
Matt Traynor
24   Posted 28/07/2011 at 17:02:52

Julian (14) - players on loan can no longer play against their parent club anyway, thus avoiding conflicts, gentleman's agreements etc.

Generally, this idea of trading players, getting X for A, Y for B means we could pay Z for C doesn't take into account the costs of buying and selling players - agents fees, ludicrous "loyalty" payments.

Surely the time has come in this day and age of ridiculous wages for such loyalty payments, testimonials etc to be scrapped, at least in the professional leagues. And players should be paying their own third party fees...
Ciarán McGlone
25   Posted 28/07/2011 at 17:31:18

"Do not fail us, Kenwright."
--------------------

Lovely piece of irony.
Andy Crooks
26   Posted 28/07/2011 at 18:01:54

Julian, shrewd post. I don't think it will happen but he is in a different league to N'Zobia.
Paul Lally
27   Posted 28/07/2011 at 17:57:45

Pienaar money = Sir Philip Green = Robert Earl = BCR Sports Fund = Virgin Isles- allegedly.
Yak fee, Fellaini fee = Green = Destination Kirkby = Top Shop = Hotel = Earl = personal profit - allegedly.
All stinks to high heaven.
Can we follow the money to expose these two ?
Keith Wyness was made, 'an offer he could'nt refuse,' By Green, in a speed boat dash to Majorca, just before a Wyness press conference.
What was Wyness about to expose ?
Is Kenwright a puppet, dancing to Green's tune ?
Until we oust Earl and Green, both Spurs fans, and Kenwright, we are not going to move forward.
Ray Roche
28   Posted 28/07/2011 at 18:25:30

Trevor Mackie.

I think you'll find that "I Believe" was a bigger hit for Frankie Laine". The Bachelors were a second rate trio of bogtrotters who latched on to a well known song and covered it, a bit like that other shower form over the water, Boyfuckinzone,who,if I hear their shite in here any more, will be found in three years time a shallow grave by a man walking his dog.

Er...I think I'm showing my age....
Andy Crooks
29   Posted 28/07/2011 at 18:36:12

Ray, check out the Bachelors last album and you will realize where "Dark Side of the Moon" evolved from.If Syd Barrett had retained his health he was on the verge of writing a concept album with Declan.
Andy Crooks
30   Posted 28/07/2011 at 18:41:50

Is it possible to withdraw a post?
Ray Roche
31   Posted 28/07/2011 at 18:46:16

Andy....
I think you've strayed into "Pseuds Corner".....

I'll get me coat.
Kieran Fitzgerald
32   Posted 28/07/2011 at 18:59:45

What I can't understand is why we can't just do a player swap. If we want to get rid of Yobo and Yakubu why not offer to swap them for a player we want. If we got a couple of million for James Vaughan we could just offer this as part of a player plus cash deal. Yobo and Yakubu, while not in the Messi bracket, are solid experienced premiership players. Yakubu always does very well in his first season at each of his clubs and would be worth a punt on his own.
Sean Patton
33   Posted 28/07/2011 at 19:08:03

The people who believe N'Zogbia is going to come to Everton are like kids at the window whose dad left 4 years ago for a pint of milk and still think that he is going to walk in the front door.
Dave Wilson
34   Posted 28/07/2011 at 20:18:37

Syd Barrett - The seer of visions.

Wonder what he made of Smile for me my Diane

Nzogbia`s not coming Nick, but any thread that can link The Batchelors, Frankie Lane and The Floyd is always going to be entertaining.

Adam Johnson - Wish You Were Here
Brendan O'Doherty
35   Posted 28/07/2011 at 20:48:57

Anyone who thinks Billo is going to fork out the cash for N'Zogbia must have been indulging a la Syd Barrett (RIP).

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Gavin Ramejkis
36   Posted 28/07/2011 at 20:54:35

I work with a Citeh fan who can't believe Johnson can't get a game.

I also work with a Blackpool fan who said he was disappointed with Goodison and said it was a shithole - that coming from a Blackpool fan!
Dave Wilson
37   Posted 28/07/2011 at 21:04:50

And we`ll bask in the shaddow of yesterdays triumph

And sail on the steel breeze

Come on you boy/child, you winner and loser.

Come on you miner of truth and delusion, and Shine
Kristian Boyce
38   Posted 28/07/2011 at 21:07:10

The Villa/N'zogbia deal is taking time due to him being on holiday in Dubai. From what I heard he arrives back to the UK today. I think he was holding out for us a while back, and made comments about being interested. He
just made similar comments a couple of days ago about Villa, when he realized we weren't goimg to be bidding on him. I think the falling through of the yak/yobo deals put an end to a bid.
James Flynn
39   Posted 28/07/2011 at 21:48:29

Christ wept - Anyone Villa ownership deems worthy we don't want. Same ownership owns Villa owns the Cleveland Browns of the NFL. Look up the Browns' record under current ownership.

N'zogbia. Collect your paycheck. Villa will finsih below Everton.
Lee Courtliff
40   Posted 28/07/2011 at 22:20:13

There is too much optimism on this thread. Please tone it down.

I know it won't happen but i am sat here getting giddy at the thought of Adam Johnson playing for us. Everytime i see him play i always say how much i wish we had signed him.

He cost less than Bily(i know it was before we had the Lescott money).
Pat Finegan
41   Posted 28/07/2011 at 22:45:04

Wait, Andrew (1) an unnamed American trialist? Is it Hope Solo? I'd never miss another game if it was.
Rob Magee
42   Posted 28/07/2011 at 22:33:38

I'll start by saying I think it is now fairly obvious that he won't be signing for us, but I have to say those of you who are churning out this "he aint that good crap" are obviously stupid or haven't seen the lad play. He isn't Messi or Iniesta, but is more than good enough to do an amazing job for us (or Villa for that matter). I find it utterly ridiculous that when people mention a player they view as being a quality recruit other idiots start ridiculing them with nonsensical argument using unrealistic comparison. We are what we are and someone like N'Zogbia would be a fantastic addition, he is afar better option than any of our other wingers. And as for we put 'x' amount of crosses into the box i could cross all day long it doesn't mean they'd be any good!!!!!!
Iain Love
43   Posted 28/07/2011 at 23:24:15

I get up in the morning, drink my coffee, flick between channels for the day's news, check my e.mails... then go to the NewsNow trawl on ToffeeWeb in the vain hope that we have signed a player, not sold a player, or that a player we have been linked with (who is any cop) has not gone elsewhere.

I read some absolute bollocks about Everton are 'in the hunt' for someone costing more than a pack of fags and dismiss it... whilst also thinking, "Hang on a minute! WHY are we not looking at the better players? WHY can't we attract decent loan players??... and WHY am I looking or hoping that we will get someone???

Although I'm a fan, I'm not stupid and I do think that the addition of a pacy/skillfull winger and a decent front man could put us in with a shout of Champions League football and the money that comes with it. £25mill would do it, that's fuck all compared to what MANY other sides spend.

Wingers I'd be happy with include: N'Zogbia, A Johnson, Bentley, Krancjar, Donovan... even Shaun Wright-Phillips. Strikers... again I'd take Rodellega, Long, Bendtner, Sturridge (yes, please!), Welbeck, or Bellamy. ALL these are apparently available; ALL these would enhance Everton and themselves; none of them would be that dear compared to Liverpool's signings...

Why am I even writing this???????

Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric Myles
44   Posted 29/07/2011 at 05:21:55

You all know the club's policy about not signing players early on and wasting money on wages in the summer when they are not playing.
We will only sign someone when the first ball is about to be kicked so someone else picks up the bill for their holidays.
Adam Fenlon
45   Posted 29/07/2011 at 08:26:19

I hope we dont waste money on N'Zogbia!
Gavin Ramejkis
46   Posted 29/07/2011 at 08:35:05

Pat #40 knowing BK it's probably Han Solo, a cardboard cutout of him sat on the touchline.
Nelly Verdonghan
47   Posted 29/07/2011 at 08:59:38

Where is the actual proof that N;Zogbia WA|NTS to come to Everton....Has he gone on record saying this...Nope

Some people are seriously deluded they really are.Charlie Boy doesn't give a shit about Everton as it's all about the money FFS

This is a player who left the Barcodes to sign for....WIGAN...Don't tell me it was because of the fantastic entertaining football they play.
Sam Hoare
48   Posted 29/07/2011 at 11:48:23

It all hangs on Jags...i reckon if Arsene up his offer before Nzogbia signs for Villa the revolving doors might do a quick bit of spinning.

I reckon at 25 and with 6 years of proven premiership experience he would be an absolute snip at £9m. Just ask Billy!
Drew O'Neall
49   Posted 29/07/2011 at 12:23:16

Dave Wilson @33 - nice one.
Brendan O'Doherty
50   Posted 29/07/2011 at 19:02:00

Signed for Villa this evening. You can come back to reality now you dreamers.

Sandra Williams
51   Posted 29/07/2011 at 19:24:05

And that sound we can all hear is a lot of clutched straws falling to the ground..................back to the very blank drawing board Nick!! Next....!!
Kunal Desai
52   Posted 29/07/2011 at 19:34:50

Everton were interested in signing N'zogbia but did not have the cash... Yeah that's like me saying I want a Ferrari but haven't got the money. Fucking shit club, but great fans. That's all it is!
Pat Finegan
53   Posted 29/07/2011 at 20:11:55

Gavin, as long as he (or she) is wearing camo, I don't care who it is.
Brian Waring
54   Posted 30/07/2011 at 12:18:41

Finally this one can be put to bed. He's officially a Villa player. He wasn't stalling to come to us, Villa were away, and he was on holiday.

Des Kenny
55   Posted 30/07/2011 at 15:06:24

Post removed by moderator. Do not accuse fellow Everonians (even BK!) of being a red inbn disguise.
Des Kenny
56   Posted 30/07/2011 at 17:27:58

We've heard all the rubbish over the last few seasons about the lack of potential buyers. Now we hear that QPR may be getting taken over with an input of cash to assist with future transfers. It is embarrasing for Everton fans when Brighton can buy a £2M player and Everton can't afford a back-up keeper to the value of £150k.

BK may be the biggest Everton fan ever, but if his heart is in the right place he MUST come clean to the fans and tell us why we have no-one wanting to buy one of the biggest clubs in England. I for one do not believe that we have not had anyone interested in investing money in this famous club.

There is something going on that is preventing investment in the club, and we the fans want to know the truth. Don't fob us off as has been the case in the last few years. I have been supporting the team for the last 47 years, but I will not pay one further penny of my hard-earned money into Everton until we know what is going on.

Michael Kenrick
57   Posted 30/07/2011 at 21:53:02

I see some people got a bit of a black eye over this N'Zogbia business... one popular website even stating with confidence a week or so back that they were 99% certain Charles N'Zogbia would be an Everton player by the end of the month... and that "Moyes would get his man". Perhaps their blind support of the regime may have actually taken a knock in the process???
James Flynn
58   Posted 31/07/2011 at 05:32:47

Kenrick - Looking at Des (55), and being a TWer only 18 months or so, may I ask if I'm ever onian? And if I am, is that wrong?

Understand, I ask only as an ever-humble Younger Cousin for whom English is a second language.

Also, what's a "red inbn"? I thought text-speak was forbidden here. That is text-speak, no?

I'm trying my best to upgrade my language skills and look to you for guidance, since this is your site and would know best to explain the proper use of the English language to Flynn (Jimmy if you like).

Or perhaps the weekend is the weekend there as here and moderation should be emphasized to TW moderators on duty?