Season 2011-12

Push the button?

45 Comments: First  |  Last

Firstly, I love Everton but last night I got that feeling I have felt before a few times but probably more strongly that ever. Generally when the pain is just so unbearable and I am angrier than a vengeful God. If there was a button to switch Everton off, would you push it?

Some examples for me are:

? Losing to Portsmouth at home three-nil after a similar summer to the one we have just had.
? Hull away a couple of years ago.
? 4-0 away at Arsenal in 98.

I just think life is full of problems and quite frankly supporting Everton at the moment is like being a heroin addict but without the highs. I?m 28 and I cannot remember a time when I felt so little optimism for the future. We have had worse teams, sure... but I can?t remember a time when we have had so little prospects.

Anyway can anyone think of any examples when they have felt this way?

Philip Rodgers, Rotherham     Posted 02/09/2011 at 13:52:10

back Return to the Mail Bag  :  Add your Comments back

Comments

Shaun Brennan
1   Posted 02/09/2011 at 14:31:55

Both times in Portugal was enough for me. Wolves and West Brom at home last season. The early cup exits down the years. Right now.
Norman Merrill
2   Posted 02/09/2011 at 14:38:05

Philip, it's all part of being a Evertonian, take the rough with the smooth.
Who knows what the season has in store for us, I know it looks rather gloomy, but keep the faith.
If the players showed as much faith in the supporters, as vice versa, then we may be pleasantly surprised come next May.
Norman Merrill
3   Posted 02/09/2011 at 14:38:05

Philip, it's all part of being a Evertonian, take the rough with the smooth.
Dave Wilson
4   Posted 02/09/2011 at 14:52:52

Angrier than a vengeful God eh ?

You must be very cross
Mark Murphy
5   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:02:50

Tranmere home in the FA cup!

I got the train up from West Sussex for that one and shared it most of the way back with some cretins from the Park End.
Srdjan Sekulic
6   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:03:42

Every other week
Colin Hughes
7   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:09:02

Bloody hell, how long have you got?
Kunal Desai
8   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:26:36

Well we seem to be reaching new lows every week. A negative followed by negative followed by negative. We seem to be stooping to lower lows BUT one day, when that is I don't know there will be a positive and something will change - for the better. Right now we must keep taking the punches, but one day we certainly will dish them out strong and hard!!!
Steve Guy
9   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:28:48

Every time I see Billy Liar's smug cheshire cat grin. Usually there is the TV "off" button for that though.
Adam Trotario
10   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:40:47

0-4 to Villa in 1998, I think.
Andrew Ellams
11   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:40:26

The Tranmere game, the 5-0 home defeat to the RS when Postman Pat scored 4 (otherwise known as the Glenn Keeley game), and the capitulation in Bucharest just a few weeks after losing to Villareal and the 4-0 defeat to WBA a few years back
Alan McGuffog
12   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:40:47

Almost 50 years ago to the day I made my debut as an eight year old in the Boy's Pen. We got stuffed four nil by Sheffield Wednesday. I was hooked.
That which doesn't kill you will make you stronger. As Hibbo might say.
Stephen Lewis
13   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:49:01

Cheers Andrew #11 - I'd almost forgotten that WBA game. Same season we lost by a similar margin at Villa as well - Kroldrup's only game I believe.

I'm afraid my life (47 years) is full of Everton low points. It has to be said that we often improve just after one of them - 'always darkest before the dawn'.

I can't kick the habit. COYB

Lee Courtliff
14   Posted 02/09/2011 at 15:50:50

Getting stuffed 5-1 away to Sheff Wed then two days later getting stuffed 3-0 at home to Blackburn back in '94 was fairly devastating. I was at both games. At Hillsborough my dad and I were in our seats about an hour and forty minutes before kick off. Convincing ourselves that we would "turn it on today".

Far too many others to mention really.
John Ford
15   Posted 02/09/2011 at 16:08:59

Jeesus this is party time, at least on the pitch compared to most of the 90s.

Losing the cup semi final to the shite in 1977 hurt like hell. Maine road, Clive Thomas, Brian Hamilton, muddy pitch, Duncan Mckenzie. Pain is more acute when you're a kid.

We were much worse off under Johnson....BECAUSE the team were crap.
Karl Jones
16   Posted 02/09/2011 at 16:13:05

1982 Everton 0 Liverpool 5. Our new signing Glenn Keeley (on loan, even then!) got sent off early and bignose Rush scored 4. God I hated him..

When Catterick sold Alan Ball out of the blue was another terrible day. Grown men cried at the time.
I loved Arteta and am sick hes gone, but not to the same extent as I was when I got home from school and found out about Bally.
Laszlo Balazs
17   Posted 02/09/2011 at 16:11:45

Great article, Philip! I know exactly what you are feeling, and just hoping that things will get better.

COYB!

By the way, if you don't mind, I translated this and publicated to my Hungarian EFC-website:
Ray Robinson
18   Posted 02/09/2011 at 16:41:40

Losing 2-1 to West Ham in the FA Cup Semi Final Replay at Leeds. The only reason there was a second match was because Brian Kidd got himself needlessly sent off in the first game when we were winning 1-0.

Couldn't think straight for days after both of those matches.

I'm more mature now - or is that more used to it?
Don Kiddick
19   Posted 02/09/2011 at 16:42:48

When Bally went to Arsenal I cried for a week, as a man I cried when Dunc left to go to Newcastle but ......I cried my eyes out and very nearly killed myself when I found out that Big Vic was given a new contract.
Robert Elliott
20   Posted 02/09/2011 at 16:49:14

I well remember the Kroldrup debut at Villa. Sat in the middle of the Holte End (my best mate is a Villa fan and we always have the rule that he sits with our fans at GP and me with theirs at the Villa), freezing my wotsits off, watching us getting smashed 4-0 and having to pretend to be happy about it for fear of having my head kicked in!

I seem to recall we lost the derby here to Liverpool a few days after as well and were more or less bottom of the table by then. Not a good week!
Alan Hayes
21   Posted 02/09/2011 at 17:04:15

Old Trafford FA Cup Semi-Final: Labby off injured,

Again OT: Everton playing Utd off the park until Mcari comes on.
Dennis Wise and Chelsea anytime. One of the best highs Andy King, against the Dark Side, high for weeks.

Mark Sullivan
22   Posted 02/09/2011 at 17:20:07

How about the 6-2 thrashing by Aston Villa live on TV in the days before Sky so the whole country saw it.

Speaking of 6-2's the one by Man Utd Boxing Day 1977 not unsurprisingly spoilt my christmas
Peter Laing
23   Posted 02/09/2011 at 17:28:48

Without wanting to ruin my weekend and that of others its got to be 1986 FA Cup Final, 1-0 up at half-time and a complete capitulation in the second half by Stevens, Mimms et al to hand the dark-side the double, ooouch that hurt !
Peter Webster
24   Posted 02/09/2011 at 17:31:14

Ray @18
"Or losing 3-2 to Aston Villa in the League Cup Final second replay at Old Trafford."

I was there, it was my 13th birthday. It was a horrible introduction to teenagism.
Nick Entwistle
25   Posted 02/09/2011 at 17:42:16

Villa 6 Everton 2 - Live on The Match.
Adam Trotario
26   Posted 02/09/2011 at 18:06:14

Interesting how much Villa pain there is in here.
Paul Dewhurst
27   Posted 02/09/2011 at 18:24:44

Either cup final loss to the redshite - all the other lows are bad but don't have the same venom
Mick Gallagher
28   Posted 02/09/2011 at 18:59:16

Fuck me im stuck offshore and no ale to dull the pain of thinking about it.

So im off to watch me big match dvd fucking great it is Everton scoring goals and goals and not losing a match haha. Brian Moores baised cockney comments as well.
Paul Johnson
29   Posted 02/09/2011 at 19:03:07

Has to be the Villa second replay after the high of Latchford scoring in the last minute at Hillsborough. The Boro 3-0 cup game that got Walter sacked takes some beating also and every derby defeat. Shouls start a thread about the best moments, Latchford in the Villa 1st replay and the Gosling goal will live long in the memory.
David Israel
30   Posted 02/09/2011 at 19:31:04

John Ford # 15, I'm with you. That was certainly an excruciatingly frustrating occasion.

Still, looking at the present times, there might always be a back pass to Adrian Heath, in the metaphorical sense, that is, and things will start to improve...
David Hallwood
31   Posted 02/09/2011 at 19:51:19

Getting beat 1-0 by man u in 85 when we were on for the treble. the 0-5 by the RS when I was surrounded by all my RS mates. The Milk cup final at main Road after we'd bossed the game at wembly...in fact how long have you got.
Paul Dewhurst
32   Posted 02/09/2011 at 18:24:44

Dalziel Kane
33   Posted 02/09/2011 at 20:30:58

It's all part and parcel of supporting any team at the end of the day, every side has it's high and lows, can you imagine an Arsenal forum on sunday night after that extraordinary game, it would surely be a variation of what we have here, sort of reminiscing about past games etc.

this club has had it's share of embarrassments and ultimate letdowns, I remember vividly after the Reading F.A cup fixture a year or two ago how angry I felt at such an opportunity to progress was wasted and you can add that to the other half dozen or so exits to lower league or caliber oppositon down the years.

I remember something similar with a home game with Portsmouth in the League cup eons ago and the club went on to November without winning a league game, fortunes reversed, and we went on not only to avoid a almost seemingly relegation but added the F.A. cup to our honors list by end of season.
Dave Randles
34   Posted 02/09/2011 at 23:29:26

Talking to blues who just don't get how Kenwright is dismantling our club. NOW!
Andy Crooks
35   Posted 02/09/2011 at 23:34:28

I came home from primary school for lunch, to be informed by my big brother, an Arsenal supporter,that Alan Ball had signed for them. That's as bad as it has ever been.
Ray Roche
36   Posted 02/09/2011 at 23:40:41

The Shite 5 Everton 0 in 1965. I was on the Kop....
Dominic Bobadilla
37   Posted 02/09/2011 at 23:51:35

Come on! All Evertonians are so accustomed to rollercoaster rides, that they should be immune to pain by now.
Marcus Kendall
38   Posted 03/09/2011 at 00:13:38

Losing to Chelsea in the FA Cup around 1992 when Cottee missed a penalty to level things up.

Losing at home to Bolton 4-0 a couple of seasons back.

The Walter Smith era in general... I was horrified that we appointed him in the first place.
Dermot Ryan
39   Posted 03/09/2011 at 01:36:05

Getting stuffed by Arsenal two seasons ago wasn't much fun.
Lee Courtliff
40   Posted 03/09/2011 at 08:33:59

Mark Sullivan *22 - The Match with Saint n Greavesie. I think it was the 89/90 season when Villa hammered us 6-2.

I remember watching that. It was just before i became an Evertonian.

I should have taken the warning seriously.
Ed Ponte
41   Posted 03/09/2011 at 09:55:46

I remember the 6-2 Villa game. Cottee scored a screamer right at the end of the game, quite possibly the cleanest strike he ever put in for us. When the camera cut to him he just looked gutted. Beardo then wandered over to tell him it would all be alright, it was nearly over. Awful game. 6-2 to Graham offing Taylor.
Ed Fitzgerald
42   Posted 03/09/2011 at 11:57:18

For me it has to be the 86 cup final. We should have won the league that year and threw it away for the RS to steal it., nly to top it off by capitulating in the cup final after dominating in the first half. I was on suicide watch that evening!

I played 5 a side the next day and I was the only Blue - they made it hell for me and I have to admit I lost it and engaged in a Van Den Hauwe spree of violence against the opposition.
Stephen Kenny
43   Posted 03/09/2011 at 12:36:52

Got a lift to Luton, flew to Faro, 4 hr coach to Lisbon, got lost and walked for hours to find the ground and then got the biggest footballing lesson that I've ever seen dished out 5-0.

Thats only one of many but it sticks out. Everton could bring a tear to a glass eye, We all know it but it just makes the highs that much higher.

There's no way winning the FA Cup feels the same to a Chelsea fan than it would to an Evertonian.

Just remember less than a decade ago Man City were plying thier trade in the 3rd division and struggling. Football can change quickly.
Danny Biddle
44   Posted 05/09/2011 at 08:38:32

Mark (#22) ? I was goona mention that game as well...

Also the '85 FA Cup final. So young and so many tears!
John Salmon
45   Posted 06/09/2011 at 17:59:30

My list is endless. Welcome to being an EVERTONIAN.